[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I ride a crappy, fixed-gear Torker. It's my commuter. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10
File: gGKon.jpg (763 KB, 3040x2280) Image search: [Google]
gGKon.jpg
763 KB, 3040x2280
I ride a crappy, fixed-gear Torker. It's my commuter.

I mounted brakes like so: right-front, left-rear

I prefer this, so I can brake with the dominant brake while signaling.

How are your brakes mounted, /n/? Why?
>>
>>944509
>twine
>electrical tape
>memes

People actually defend BOBism.
>>
>>944509
My front brake (no rear) is mounted on my right hand barend, flipped so the lever is forward. Similar to what is in the pic only on more of a forward bullhorn type of setup instead of a swept back style

my bike is not a fixie
>>
>>944517
That's not a Torker. That's not my ride. That's not what this thread is about.
>>
>>944509
>so I can brake with the dominant brake while signaling
So you only ever turn left?
>>
>>944539
I only ever signal with my left hand.

Wut.
>>
>>944539
this, lol
>>
>>944541
Then you're doing it wrong. Signal with the hand on whichever side you're going.
If you do the stupid hand at a right angle thing, that is for *cars* where it was kinda hard to reach out of the right window. On a bike this problem does not exist.

But your (his?) brakes are set up the correct way imo. Same as they do in UK and the front brake same side as motorbikes.
>>
File: 1438614993197.jpg (70 KB, 700x555) Image search: [Google]
1438614993197.jpg
70 KB, 700x555
My bikes are setup traditionally. That is (front left right rear)
And yes you're supposed to signal using only the left hand.
>Straight out means left turn
>Turned 90° up at elbow means right hand turn
>>
>>944560
>Turned 90° up
... means stop.
>>
UK, right is front and left is rear. Only ever need to signal right and use my right hand, I brake before the turn and pulling the front brake whilst turning is dumb. If I need to emergency brake because a car is attempting to overtake (hasn't happened yet) then I'm usually going slow enough that the rear brake would be effective or I'd get my right hand back on the bars in time.
>>
>>944563
Are you australian?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-15-19-44-54.png (1003 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-15-19-44-54.png
1003 KB, 1440x2560
>>944563
You sure about that chief?
>>
File: Cykeltecken.jpg (42 KB, 470x311) Image search: [Google]
Cykeltecken.jpg
42 KB, 470x311
>>944577
Yes, very.
>>
>>944578
Maybe in europoor land...
>>
>>944555
You've got a serious stick up your butt if you think that left-hand signalling is -wrong-. It might not be your preference, but it's a recognized standard, moreso than using the right hand. It also puts the signal out in the middle of the road, where people can see it.
>>
>>944624
>it's a recognized standard
Where? It's no longer even taught in America mate, only certain age groups would know what it means.
Most everyone I talk to online has said to use your right arm to signal a right turn because it's the most obvious signal to the people around you. You gotta realize not everyone on the road has the same knowledge, even though you expect it, so you have to change how your view. Just imagine you're riding in a bike tourist area and they've never even seen the signals your using, they wouldn't know how to react but you throw your right arm out and point and they'll be able to use context clues to understand you.
>>
>>944629
>It's no longer even taught in America mate, only certain age groups would know what it means.
It's in my DMV manual.
>>
>>944629
>catering to plebs
>>
File: 8789835367_96a02ab2d5_k.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1264) Image search: [Google]
8789835367_96a02ab2d5_k.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1264
Telling people to re read the si brochure is one thing but being anal about something no one understands is crazy if you're endangering yourself. To almost everyone, left arm doing anything means turning left and right arm doing anything means turning right.

Also, right hand front brake on bikes with STI/ ergos and left hand front brake on bikes with DT shifters so i can use my right hand to shift. I thought about standardizing it but oddly i don't find it confusing at all switching between the two.
>>
>>944651
I've had several drivers assume left turn signal means "pass me, faggot cager"
>>
>>944629
I don't care what other bikers think the signals are, I care what the cars think the signals are. If the drivers are paying any attention to hand signals at all, they're going to know what they were taught in driver's ed, which is left hand signalling. If they don't know any signals at all, they're just going to think you're flailing like an idiot no matter how you do it.
>>
>>944651
Man that's a beautiful bike.

I don't understand your shifting explanation. You need to use both hands to shift, right? Not at the same time of course, but front and rear derailers. Even if you were running 1x your preferred braking hand would be on the rear shifter, so are you saying you have a specific need to shift the front whilst also braking?
>>
File: hehehe.jpg (153 KB, 1152x843) Image search: [Google]
hehehe.jpg
153 KB, 1152x843
>>944663
It is stupidly beautiful. If the tops of the bars were wrapped it would be perfect.

For STI/ Ergos i just go preferred braking hand for the front break and don't factor in the shifting. There's no specific need to shift the front and use the front break simultaneously or anything.

But for downtube shifters, you don't need both hands to shift. I do most shifts with my right hand, front or rear. Occasionally i'll use my left hand to shift, to make it feel loved, but normally not. Dt is inferior to integrated shifting, sure, but my first road decent road bike had it so i have a soft spot and find it a lot of fun. It's nice to switch between the two to get a bit of variety and make you appreciate both.

You also have the single on the road advantage to DT also, which is you can eat/ drink something large like a burger or a large frozen coke and still shift the whole range by holding the difficult item and the bars with one hand and using the other to shift.
>>
>>944654
In my experience, drivers don't understand left hand signaling for shit. If you gave them a pop quiz on it, I bet 90%+ would fail. Pointing clearly in the direction you're going is all they understand.
>>
>>944509
>right-front, left-rear
What the-
>so I can brake with the dominant brake while signaling
Signalling what, mate? How many left turns are there on your daily commute?

>>944654
>I care what the cars think
They think you should fuck off to the sidewalk.
>>
>>944719
>>944663
>>944651
What's the deal with them pedals, tho?
>>
>>944719
That makes sense. I have DT shifters on one of my bikes but I've never tried shifting opposite (left shifter with right hand). Have you not tried using your left hand more so you can switch the brakes?
>>
File: raw.png (55 KB, 199x278) Image search: [Google]
raw.png
55 KB, 199x278
>>944578
>using as justification an infographic on which it is impossible to determine which hand is right and which hand is left
U R
R

D U M B
U
M
B
>>
>>944651
>>944719
those crit bars?
>>
>>944633
It's not in my state and don't assume everyone driving is from around there.
>>944654
>they're going to know what they were taught in driver's ed
That's what I'm getting out, it's not longer part of the curriculum mate, you can't trust that everyone has the same education so you need to come at this logically. That's even why it's suggested to point and not just stick your arm out.
If they don't know signals at all at least maybe you got their attention by pointing in one direction so they can at least move a bit before they tell you to get on the sidewalk, I mean... it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk here and it's in the dmv manual because there is a share the road section but you don't see people with their licenses spouting that knowledge do you?
>>
Guys, most drivers ed is a joke and you don't have to have taken any to get a license anyways.

I also point when I'm signaling to get the point across to the ignorant folks, not sure if it works better or not.
>>
File: 1459390200917.gif (1 MB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
1459390200917.gif
1 MB, 280x210
>>944509
>Fixed gear
>Brake
>>
>>944633
>DMV
The department of *motor* vehicles.
That's because you can't stick your hand out of the right window when driving a car.
Cyclists are fully able to lift their right hand off the handlebar...

>>944798
>They think you should fuck off to the sidewalk.
Lost it
>>
File: proper-signals1[1].png (379 KB, 640x285) Image search: [Google]
proper-signals1[1].png
379 KB, 640x285
>>944577
You sure about that chief?
>>
>>945037
That's not what the question was. The question was if drivers should know a left-handed right signal. The answer is according to the DMV manuals, which also mention cyclists, yes, they should.

Considering you will be on the right of cars when making a right, your left side is also more visible.
>>
>>945045
JUST SIGNAL RIGHT TURNS WITH BOTH HANDS AND SHUT THE FUCK UP

>>944509
>stem mounting ISH shifter
>muh tweed aesthetic
PIG DISGUSTING
>>
Right hand front brake, rear hub = rear brake (coaster brakes FTW). Fixie is set up the same.

UNLESS I'm running an CB/IGH, then front left, right shift.
Road bikes/mRNA get left front/right rear.
>>
>>945037
Motorcyclists also use left-handed signals.
>>
>>944857
Is it not obvious that when you hold your left arm straight out, that you're signalling to turn?
Not only is that literally still in every DMV manual, but it has nothing to do with curriculum, it's not an arbitrary signal, it's just fucking intuitive.
I use my left arm to signal my left turns all the time, and drivers understand what I'm signalling and will slow down so I can get into the turn lane.
It doesn't take a genius to figure it out.
>>
>>945470
>Is it not obvious that when you hold your left arm straight out, that you're signalling to turn?
Actually it isn't. A lot of cagers think it means "pass me in the middle of an intersection"
>>
>>945470
>obvious
>cagers

they're operating on as little brain powers as possible, you're lucky their passenger doesn't try to high five you as they roll coal after passing you
>>
>>944509

I mount my brakes the same way, but that's a carry over from motorcycles more than anything else.
>>
>>944654

...do you ever spend any time on the road at all? Most drivers are fucking retards who probably shouldn't have passed their license test to begin with.
>>
>>944577
>>945039
>>944578
>implying drivers will understand the stop signal in any of these cases
>implying drivers will care about your left/right turn signals
expect death
>>
I don't know what the hell you all are doing that your safety hinges on hand signals. Bike more defensively.
>>
>>946247
>Bike more defensively.
what, you mean indicate what i'm doing by using hand signals ? c'mon m8 wake the fuck up.
>>
>>945039
nice ass ;^)
>>
>>946268
No, he means get off the fucking road. Stay clear of people in real vehicles, or they'll hurt you. Don't try to communicate with them, don't make them notice you and never use a bike for personal transport.
>>
>>946268
Being defensive generally means assuming that your signals will be ignored, and assuming that everyone else isn't going to signal their intentions. Be ready for anything, and be assertive with your space.

>>946295
This is not what I mean. I bike on the street all the damn time, I've never considered hand signals to play any real role in keeping me alive. They're just courtesy to people that pay attention to them.
>>
If there isn't a cop I bike on the sidewalk all the fucking time. And coast when I'm coming up behind people so they know to get the fuck out of the sidewalk when they hear click click click of a bike freewheel
>>
>>945039

Stop signal is hand toward the ground. Whoever made this image is a retard.
>>
>>945511

I actually knew a guy this happened to, like 15 years ago. He was signaling a left turn and the driver of an approaching car (it was a two-lane road) reached out and slapped his hand at full speed, breaking his arm.
>>
>>946350

>coast
>not pedaling backward to make extra noise

I have a squealy front brake that I don't bother to fix because I use it like a car horn. It's really effective, actually.
>>
>>946388
Different standards in different places mate.

You're a retard for thinking otherwise.
>>
File: laffing angles.gif (2 MB, 440x440) Image search: [Google]
laffing angles.gif
2 MB, 440x440
>Rear brake on fixed gear
>Brake levers mounted backwards
kys OP

To answer your question, my brakes are mounted to the respective mounts of my frames and forks, with adaptors as necessary to match the fitted discs.

>>944560
>>944624
>Relying on cagers to have perfect knowledge of arcane and arbitrary hand signals
Everyone above the age of of one year understands pointing. Convey your intentions by pointing.

>>944577
>>945158
Bicycles don't have a throttle, so you're free to use either hand to signal for best effect.

>>944654
>they're going to know what they were taught in driver's ed
mfw

>>944798
Most people are right-hand dominant.
>>
>>949028
>can't let this thread die before I get the last word about something utterly pointless!
>>
>>944825
this

wtf
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.