[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hyperloop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8
Who looking forward to this>?

http://fortune.com/2016/03/23/elon-musk-hyperloop-las-vegas/
>>
It's shit
>>
Needs a blimp
>>
>>936793
It's a fundamentally bad idea AND Musk flat out lied to the public about the costs.
>>
>>936805
this
>>
because why should you have to go all the way to space to suffer a depressurization accident?
>>
File: Beach_Pneumatic_plan.jpg (1 MB, 1936x1764) Image search: [Google]
Beach_Pneumatic_plan.jpg
1 MB, 1936x1764
It's an very, very old idea.
Every attempt was an economic failure.
This time it will likely fail as well.
>>
>>936793
it'll fail

i recommend musk going back to engineering school
>>
>>936950
It is different from those

It is a maglev in a low pressure tube. blower on the car help keeps it up and move it forward.
>>
>>936804
>>936878
>>936950
>>936982
To everyone saying it will fail,

Please do us the courtesy of at least supporting your claim with a valid and sound argument(s) instead of just blatantly throwing it out there expecting us to accept it as an objective fact.

>>936793
Here's a simple break down of the physics and why it's feasible:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Physics/comments/4d13ba/the_simple_physics_behind_the_hyperloop/

Cheers.
>>
>>939999
People aren't saying it's impossible. They're saying it's impractical. Even most conventional maglevs are borderline impractical.

In fact, the first reddit reply pretty much says that.

Please go back and stay there.
>>
>>936793
See

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSoa1b-yBUY
>>
Can someone post the spurdo hyberloob :D-picture? Forgot to save it, was absolute gold.
>>
File: dubsguy1.jpg (75 KB, 816x816) Image search: [Google]
dubsguy1.jpg
75 KB, 816x816
>>940000
>>939999
>>
>>939999
The technology literally doesn't exist in a usable form and Musk intentionally ignored land acquisition costs. It's on people like you to prove it can work, not the other way around douchebag.
>>
>>941470
The technology does exist. The Japanese and Germans have both developed vactrains but they gave up on the concept due to construction costs and the security risks they pose.
>>
>>941523
Construction costs: fuck yea! But what special security risks do vac trains have?
>well depressurization obviously, but it's probably safer than a regular fast train or plane...
>>
File: hyberloob.gif (64 KB, 720x403) Image search: [Google]
hyberloob.gif
64 KB, 720x403
>>936793
>>939999
No.
Also nice get, but surely a waste of them.
>>
Honestly, my biggest question is throughput. It doesn't seem like a tiny cork in a tube is an effective means of mass transit. I also have some practical concerns on a technical level, but I must admit I don't see anything that outright makes it impossible (though I think Musk did sort of handwave the whole compressor aspect, and that an actual solution would have to be much more complex in order to achieve the speeds he was offering since real compressors are generally only good to M0.65 at the face).
>>936941
Kek
>>937027
>It is a maglev in a low pressure tube.
It's not even maglev. It's a surface-effect train, the only magnetic part of it is the linear induction motor that provides propulsive force in certain segments (but not levitation).
>>941470
>The technology literally doesn't exist
It does
>in a usable form
Debatable
>Musk intentionally ignored land acquisition costs.
To be fair, it's almost justified, considering that it's an elevated tube and can thus utilize existing rights-of-way in urban areas (i.e. suspending the tube above existing freeways or railways), and would be minimally intrusive in rural areas where the land is cheap anyways, making for rather modest construction rights expenses overall compared to a conventional road or railway.
>>
>>941808
>Honestly, my biggest question is throughput. It doesn't seem like a tiny cork in a tube is an effective means of mass transit.
I actually think that's one of its very few advantages. HSR services in Europe sometime run half-empty which results in a horrible drain on the operator. This pipe dream would at least not suffer from low ridership and let's face it, there's not always loads of people travelling between SF and LA.

>To be fair, it's almost justified, considering that it's an elevated tube and can thus utilize existing rights-of-way in urban areas (i.e. suspending the tube above existing freeways or railways), and would be minimally intrusive in rural areas where the land is cheap anyways, making for rather modest construction rights expenses overall compared to a conventional road or railway.
There's no way in hell it could reuse existing freeway or rail rights-of-way. The existing rights-of-way are designed for 150 mph tops (and that's being generous) and there's no way they'll be able to shoot those capsules at the speed of 5 quadrillion miles per hour Musk advertises if a corridor is built along the existing corridors.
>>
>>941808
You're extremely wrong. It being elevated means noting in rural areas. You don't just pay for where the supports touch the ground. You pay for the entire length.
>>
File: wind farm on corn farm.jpg (33 KB, 215x269) Image search: [Google]
wind farm on corn farm.jpg
33 KB, 215x269
>>941840
> HSR services in Europe sometime run half-empty which results in a horrible drain on the operator. This pipe dream would at least not suffer from low ridership and let's face it, there's not always loads of people travelling between SF and LA.
Even if Hyperloop falls well short of its target speed, it will still be considerably faster than HSR and will attract higher ridership - that is, IF it can support said ridership economically. Which it doesn't really seem like it could (though I admit i haven't seen any actual market studies).
>The existing rights-of-way are designed for 150 mph tops
They're designed for less than that, but they also have fairly flat bank angles as well. Increasing bank angle can raise this limit somewhat without changing the path itself (just look at Acela, for instance), and there's always the option of slowing down for the more twisty parts of the route as well (which you would likely want to do anyways in urban areas where you will likely be making a stop). All frankly a worthwhile tradeoff for the sake of reducing the massive expense associated with rights-of-way, IMHO.
>>941854
>Doesn't know the difference between buying construction rights and buying property outright
You think the power company that owns these wind turbines bought the farmland they built them on?
>>
>>941950
You know the absurdly high amount of money farmers are paid for allowing wind turbines on their land?

The fact of the matter is that the land and air rights costs of a hyperloop system would be fucking huge and Musk totally ignored it as a factor.

And Hyperloop as designed is very very low capacity compared to an HSR system. So no, it wouldn't attract more riders.
>>
>>936793
It the land equivalent of the Concorde. And that's not a good thing.
>>
I know how a rail road switch looks like. Hyperloop might also need some switching. How does a Hyperloop switch look like?
>>
>>941988
>You know the absurdly high amount of money farmers are paid for allowing wind turbines on their land?
It's still significantly less than the cost of buying the land outright, which is what you have to do for a conventional railway. You're probably right that the cost is still far too great to ignore as Musk did, but there's no denying that it would cost considerably less than an HSR corridor.
>And Hyperloop as designed is very very low capacity compared to an HSR system. So no, it wouldn't attract more riders.
That's why I said "if."
>>942012
I honestly can't see the government pouring massive subsidies into this thing like they did the Concorde. It was touted as being cheap, and if it proves not to be they'll drop it and move on. Plus, the fact that it's competing in some regard with air travel means it's unlikely that ticket prices will exceed the cost of an ordinary airline ticket by very much, unlike the Concorde.
>>942130
Apparently there's a central rail for lateral guidance, so maybe kinda like a monorail. And the tube itself would have to flare to accommodate the width of both tracks until it split off. Something tells me this would NOT take place at high speed.
>>
>>942137
> it's unlikely that ticket prices will exceed the cost of an ordinary airline ticket by very much
You have literally nothing to substantiate that.
>>
>>942248
You can only charge what people are willing to pay. Are you saying you'd rather pay 2-3x the cost of an airline ticket to ride a slower, claustrophobic Tylenol through a tube instead of flying? No? Then my point stands.
>>
>>942378
It already doesn't work like that. Just look at Europe.
>>
>>942379
>Just look at Europe.

They already got a Hyperloop in Europe? Cool, where is it?
>>
>>942466
>They already got a Hyperloop in Europe? Cool, where is it?
They've got HSR, and it does take business away from planes. Why? Because flying is usually a miserable experience.
>>
>>936793
HSR in europe is heading towards 400km/h

>france italy and germany already above 300km/h (i think it's about 350)

HSR is already super comfy, hyperloop costs too much and will fail

no country bought a maglev, let alone an hyperloop
>>
>>943480
China has a maglev.

Japan has maglev test tracks and is building a passenger line between tokyo and osaka.

Germany has maglev test tracks.
>>
>>943570
> Germany has maglev test tracks

No it hasn't anymore. After developing the Transrapid for many years and actually selling the technology to the Chinese we abandoned the project and it has been dismantled since.

> China has a maglev.

The Chinese however bulit only the one well known airport connection which even doesn't use the full speed of the train as it is too short. The Chinese project is therefore considered more or less a question of prestige as building a high speed maglev on such a short distance is absolute nonsense.
>>
>>943358
HSR in Europe is often twice as expensive as a plane and takes at least twice as long as going by air. Pros by going with HSR is that you often end up in the city center and don't have to fly.
>>
>>943600
Maglev is retarded until we get superconductors so it's no wonder Germany scrapped it.
>>
>>936793
Well, they haven't released any relevant proofs of concept and from all I know and from every security aspect that comes to my mind I see it fail.

Has a strong taste of solar "freakin" roadways.
>>
File: monorail.png (308 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
monorail.png
308 KB, 640x480
>>936793
MONORAIL
>>
>>943600
The Chinese are developing their own maglev tech:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/asia/changsha-airport-maglev-line-opens.html?channel=540
>>
>>943603
We have superconductors. What we need are superconductors that operate with out the expensive cooling.
>>
>>943608
They're building a proof of concept test track.

http://www.ibtimes.com/elon-musks-hyperloop-test-track-will-open-summer-2016-after-expectations-pegged-2314476
>>
>>936793

Meme train.
>>
>>943724

Paypal
>no one will want a secure way to buy things on the internet

Tesla
>no one will want a luxury EV

SpaceX
>no one will want cheap space flight

Hyperloop
>meme train
>>
>>943726
>Tesla and SpaceX
>literally two companies that survive off of government subsidies
Great examples.
>>
>>943736
current Tesla owners, outside a few european countries, don't care about the tax credits/breaks.

NASA needs rockets to get shit in orbit. SpaceX is just another contractor like ULA
>>
>>943718
Except it is supposed to operate at only a fraction of the speed Musk talked about.
>>
There is a reason that PRT has never caught on, and it's because the cost per capita is much higher than traditional rapid transit systems.
>>
>>943711

> Maglev
> Line 18.6 km long
> Max. speed 120 km/h
> Operation at 100 km/h

How much of a failure is this? It's like; Hey I bought the new Hyperferrarizondamclaren with 2000 hp and a top speed of 400 but will use it only for the 3 km shopping tours inside my town. You know, to see if it works...

"Developing" means like the Japs are doing it: a nice test track with high speeds and high mileage covered by the vehicles.
>>
>>943797
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C5%AB%C5%8D_Shinkansen
>>
File: 2013-08-12_1342[1].png (226 KB, 976x537) Image search: [Google]
2013-08-12_1342[1].png
226 KB, 976x537
Some critics of Hyperloop focus on the experience—possibly unpleasant and frightening—of riding in a narrow, sealed, and windowless capsule inside a sealed steel tunnel, that is subjected to significant acceleration forces, high noise levels due to air being compressed and ducted around the capsule at near-sonic speeds, and the vibration and jostling.[62] Even if the tube is initially smooth, ground shifting due to settling and ongoing seismic activity would inevitably cause distortion. At speeds approaching 900 feet per second (270 m/s), deviations of even 1 millimeter (0.039 in) from a straight path would add considerable buffeting and vibration, with no provisions for passengers to stand, move within the capsule, use a restroom during the trip, or get assistance or relief in case of illness or motion sickness.[63] This is in addition to the obvious practical and logistical questions regarding how to best deal with equipment malfunction, accidents, and emergency evacuations.

/s
>>
>>936793
if it operates anywhere close to the numbers big muskie provided, it will be one of the most efficient forms of transportation.
>>
>>943806
You put anything in a vacuum tube and it becomes energy efficient. In the same way a maglev is theoretically efficient.

As far as cost efficiency, efficiency of moving things, greatly exaggerated.
>>
>>943801
Sounds exciting.
>>
>>943806
You really don't know how efficiency works.
>>
>>943801
yeah this ends with a tube full of liquified people and musk not going to prison because muh billions
>>
>>943797
It's not a failure you goddamn moron, it's a testbed. The SCMaglev didn't reach speeds of 500km/h on day 1. More development in maglevs is good for driving down prices of components so let's just be happy people outside of Japan are also developing maglevs.
>>
>>943811
>>943801
because they won't engineer away those problems on the test track.
>>
this tube train may become a fun theme park ride just like monorails, that's it
>>
File: really.jpg (18 KB, 197x344) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
18 KB, 197x344
>>944025
'engineering'? what are you, a communist?
>>
>>944025
It's a physics problem. You can't overcome that.
>>
>>936793
If this thing really is to be traveling in a near vacuum/low atmospheric pressure, how are they dealing with heat dissipation? They need to engineer this like a spaceship, making it super expensive.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.