[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scottish air flights
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: oleary.jpg (2 MB, 2004x1503) Image search: [Google]
oleary.jpg
2 MB, 2004x1503
So, APD in Scotland is going to be cut by 50% in 2018, that means 13£/short haul, and 76£/long haul fees per person will be cut by half. You're all experts so I'm curious as to how this will affect flights to/from Scotland.

So I presume when Ryanair sell a fare for 40£ in the past, in the UK, x£ was to cover fuel, y£ to cover airports, and 13£ of that was to cover APD. So now that Ryanair flying from Scotland will only pay 6.50£ on that fare, then that means that every seat they sell to a Scottish passenger is worth £6.50 more in profit to them than to an English passenger. If this is the case (correct me if i'm wrong);

How will this affect Ryanair's and other low costs strategy towards Scotland? I presume that Ryanair will be more keen to add new routes, and capacity from Scottish airports when new planes become available, before they add capacity/ routes to England, where similar plane occupancy rates can be achieved? Is that right?

Secondly, how will it affect traditional airlines, for example when i fly SAS, I see the APD in the fare breakdown, so does this mean i'll get £6.50 off my flights with them, or will they raise their prices by £6.50 to increase profits. Therefore, does this make Scotland a more attractive destination for more marginal flights that wouldn't necessarily have the seat occupancy rates, but which +£6.50 on every passenger makes it worthwhile?

Also does any other Scottish person feel like we're really hard done by having 2 airports of similar size as our 'national airports', I mean Edinburgh and Glasgow are close enough you could put an Airport between them, add direct rail links, and you've got an airport for both cities, that's perfectly close to both? Then you'd have 24million passengers or something per year and I feel like that would create a lot more international destinations, that's a Dublin or Copenhagen sized airport, and they've got a lot of destinations, and they're both serving countries of about 5 million.
>>
Too autistic?
>>
Nobody?
>>
I doubt ryanair cares about you mate bar the London to Glasgow/Edinburgh flights.
>>
>>933506

Well they clearly do care otherwise they wouldn't be adding capacity, but anyway it's not just about Ryanair. It's about the APD cut and the mechanism by which it would, if at all, affect ticket prices and routing from Scottish airports.
>>
Is this non /n/ related?
>>
>>934446
Too specific thread on a small board. Almost autism-specific, but not quite.
>>
pump
>>
>>934449
This is fucking interesting, surely someone will be able to come up with some answers here.
>>
Last bump
>>
>>933386
>How will this affect Ryanair's and other low costs strategy towards Scotland? I presume that Ryanair will be more keen to add new routes, and capacity from Scottish airports when new planes become available, before they add capacity/ routes to England, where similar plane occupancy rates can be achieved? Is that right?

No, because they need to add flights where there is demand. No one is going to schlep to fucking Scotland to save £6.50 on their fucking flight to Malaga, unless they already lived close enough to have done it already.

Once again the SNP & Scottish "parliament" have proven themselves to be a bunch of headline chasing chucklefucks.
>>
>>936483

That's not what I was saying. And let's dispense with the politics and just discuss the policy and how it affects the industry. And I'm not suggesting for a moment that people will travel from London to Scotland to save £6.50 ( which they won't be anyway on lowcosts ). Although I should imagine that if an APD does indeed attract more direct routes from Scotland, then at least those in the Northeast of England should be travelling from Edinburgh moreso than now.

On the lowcost point.

Ryanair aren't going to be making Scottish flights on average £6.50 cheaper, they'll just be making £6.50 more on every passenger flying from Scotland instead of England ( Is that correct, can somebody that understands the industry say? ). So that means that Ryanair and other lowcosts will make more profit from the same loaded planes? The average fare is something like £50, across europe. So surely in the low margins land of lowcosts, an extra £6.50pp, means that other lowcosts will be far more amiable to laying on routes and capacity from Scotland, when the planes become available because those routes would be worth more to the airline per seat, than from England? That's my perception, but I'm particularly interested in how it will affect Airlines that charge APD like the fuel surcharge. In that case then will flights be £6.50 cheaper from Scotland, or will they instead take the opportunity to make £6.50 more from each passenger?
>>
pump
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.