[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All you people talking about how" fast" a bike is,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
File: MGTOW conveyance.jpg (75 KB, 695x452) Image search: [Google]
MGTOW conveyance.jpg
75 KB, 695x452
All you people talking about how" fast" a bike is, are fucking idiots.
There is not much difference in bikes except for weight.
Lance Armstrong on a huffy is going to be well faster than you are on a race bike.
Fast is about the rider not the bike.
>>
not true at all, the tires make the biggest difference.

A bike with 25 mm 4000s II at 110 psi is going to be lightyears different to a bike with 30 mm marathons at 70 mm

(how are my units?)
>>
>>930751

t. slow fuck
>>
>>930755
(they gave me cancer)
>>
True. I pass lots of racers on mijn stadfiets every mourning.
>>
>>930755
non-abusive
>>
>>930783
How is punds per square inch a valid SI unit? Go back under you bridge, you feeble impersonator.
>>930755
Please re-read the SI brochure.
>>
File: tips fedora.jpg (63 KB, 540x538) Image search: [Google]
tips fedora.jpg
63 KB, 540x538
>>930751
oh really
>>
so what you're saying, opie, is that fully doped Lance on a BMX with 38/28 gearing is going to be able to sustain a cadence of around 275rpm so that he can keep up with the lycra bandits on their garbon racers?
>>
>>930751

You're some kind of idiot

Also: Weak rider on a fast bike = safer bc presents a longer visible notice to cagers
>>
>>930751
>mgtow.jpg
I want this troll to leave
>>
>>930783
you are worse than the poster
>>
>>930751
I agree with you up to a point. However frame geometry has a great effect of handling in curves and corners at speed. Frame stiffness can affect power transfer at high power levels and overall bike handling. A cheap, shitty drivetrain can waste power, or rob you of speed by not shifting efficiently. If a wheelset is heavy, acceleration can be affected, and a non-stiff wheelset can have a large effect on handling, which also robs you of speed over distance, especially on a technical course. Overall any given well-trained rider is going to perform overall better on a quality bike than they are on a cheap shitty bike. That being said, you're only getting micro-increments of quality improvement for any bike over $3500, and much of that $3500 is in the wheelset and component group.

Of course you're just another poorfag who is trying desperately to not slit your wrists over the fact that you can't afford to ride anything other than a shitty old steel bike that you have to keep patched together with duct tape, bailing wire, chewing gum, and used motor oil, so your opinions are suspect to begin with. Try getting a job, Mister NEET, then you can afford decent things.
>>
>>930751
Then why do I go faster on my carbon framed racing but then I do on my steel framed commuter/tour bike?
>>
>>930751
>he doesnt have a mechanically doped bike
Get with the times grandpa
>>
>>930755
>30 mm marathons at 70 mm
tire stretching is now a thing on bikes too?
>>
>>930913
Most of that is in your head
>>
>>930751
>>930989

I can SMELL how poor you are.
>>
>>930755
rolling resistance is certainly a major factor, but aerodynamics are more important at higher speeds
>>
Riding position has a HUGE affect on the speed. You aren't able to sustain power for long on an upright position bike. OP sounds like Somone who can't afford a good bike and wants to convince himself he's not missing out.
>>
>>930751
>Lance Armstrong on a huffy is going to be well faster
Because he CHUGS DOPE like a MAD CUNT.
>>
>>931010
He chugs dope like you chug cawk
>>
File: 1298617801644.jpg (40 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1298617801644.jpg
40 KB, 720x480
>>931016
>tfw semen is banned by UCI
>>
>>931016
awwwwwwwwwwwww
>>
>>931047
Basically what happened was Graeme Obree kept making fucked up bike designed that fucked with the UCI to avoid doping, and it was causing them a bigger headache than dopers, because dopers they could just ban or sweep under the rug. Obree kept making them come up with new rules, but was clean as a whistle. Since they knew he was gay, they just banned semen so they could pin him on doping charges and remove him from the sport.
>>
>>931049
snap
>>
File: Zog[1].png (86 KB, 333x400) Image search: [Google]
Zog[1].png
86 KB, 333x400
>>930797
I think what you want is for MGTOW not to exist or for them to be quiet.
Not gonna happen.
>>
File: Pascal.jpg (70 KB, 300x230) Image search: [Google]
Pascal.jpg
70 KB, 300x230
>>930755
>how are my units
>>
>>931319
ur wager a shit
>>
>>931051
>because dopers they could just ban or sweep under the rug.

I think you mean, lean on for bribes, like Armstrong paying the UCI/pat mcquaid $200,000 for a centrifuge to 'combat doping'
>>
>>931329
I see what you did there...
>>
>>931316
No, I want you to start tripping so I can block you and your stupid reaction pictures.
>>
>>931916
There are many MGTOW here
>>
>>931051
that can't possibility be true
>>
>>930751
Objectively wrong. Weight + aerodynamic position are the two most important factors when it comes to speed.
>>
>>933253
those mean nothing without the legs to do with it.
>>
Gear Ratio+Cadence = Speed.
The less strength you got the more cadence you need to compensate someone else in front of you who rides with less cadence but more strength on the same gear ratio. But no matter what bikes you are using, the Cadence is the key. On a bike that may limits you on its technology such as shit hub bearings and heavy Frame, it'll lead you to higher cadence. Less weight and better technology over all makes you spin with less cadence. But that doesn't matter at all if you are naturally someone who has to ride with higher cadence because you lack in strength, therfore the choice of your Bike could be a cheap one and yet you'll be able to win the race as long as the bike suits your needs
>>
>>930751
What a fucking joke of a thread,You might as well kill yourself for posting obvious shit like this.
>>
>>933328
Don't be sad anon, it will be ok.
>>
>>932049
just one
>>
there was a show floating somewhere on the internet where they made a bike postman and a lycra warrior champion exchange their bikes and race and the postman won
>>
>>935503
Pretty sure thats bullshit or the postman was just a badass from riding for a living instead of just some hobby fag
>>
>>930751
The bike obviously makes a difference. I would like to see someone hit 80mph on a road bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ_Lx88XEvQ

Clearly this is an extreme example but it is the easiest way to make a point. The bike does matter but most bikes that the average person can buy and rise are so similar that it doesn't make as much difference as improving your own strength.
>>
>>935574
mmmyaaa... that's not really a bike.
I would like to see an amateur on a ten thousand dollar bike beat a high level pro on a 500 dollar bike.
that's more what this thread is about.
>>
>>935503
If the postman's bike was some big utility cruiser thing, I totally believe it. How fast can you possibly go with a three-speed hub and upright riding position?
>>
>>935566
Not bullshit but the race was stacked against the pro rider. It was uphill and the postal bike he was provided was a heavy steel monster with a huge rack made to carry packets and letters.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15kmdd_versus-philippe-gilbert-vs-postman_sport
>>
>>935595
Did they even have similar gearing?
>>
>>935591
>that's not really a bike
Why not? It has two wheels, it is pedal powered... Just because it is an extremely specialized form of bike doesn't mean it isn't a bike.

Obviously the difference between a low end consumer bike and a high end consumer bike will be nowhere near the difference between one of those and that thing but it does make clear that a bike's design (gearing, shape, weight) can make it faster or slower when compared to another bike.
>>
>>935591
i got my bike for 400 and i regularly dust lycra warriors. I do delivery.

I've seen one lycra guy beat me, that was when i had a fixed gear bike with no break going super fast in the rain.

Legit i know there are better guys then the idiots with full carbon set ups and some of them make me wish i could trade, but i know my gear is specialized

I'm riding alum right now, want to get back to real steel deal feel, get a fixie and a single speed running .
>>
>>935704
if you're dusting them in urban riding it's because they're riding carefully. most people with nice bikes don't risk crashing them unless it's a real race.

if you're beating them on HC hillclimbs that's a different matter

>>935595
i'm impressed by how well gilbert did with a bike that's 22kg heavier with more upright geometry. even 5kg less and he'd have won.
>>
File: Capture+_2016-03-02-21-11-59-1.png (2 MB, 1440x771) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2016-03-02-21-11-59-1.png
2 MB, 1440x771
Is my bike fast enough?
>>
>>935713
Why don't you go have a Coors?
>>
>>935704
>dusting lycra warriors
>in urban setting of 500m intervals at most
>in a non-race setting

If you wanna go test your 500m speed go race on the track where the real short distance hitters are and see how you go big boy
>>
>>935899
Why is that photo of Goulden?
>>
>>935574
What is your interest in riding a bicycle at such slow speeds?
>>
>>935941
yes, he obviously lives near lookout because he posts a pic of it every 2 days... dont get me wrong its a fun climb but hardly the only one worth doing in the area... desu there are too many cyclists that act like fools up there and too many cars.
>>
>>930755
1) You've not mentioned bead seat diameter.
2) It has been proved that tyre suppleness matters, not width.
3) Cut your unit off.
>>
>>935899
Because I don't drink piss
>>
>>936399
Yeah, but golden gate canyon, mt.falcon, and the roads near Morrison and the mother cabrini shrine don't look as nice.
>>
>>936401
What is the unit of tyre suppleness?
>>
>>936847
heines
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.