[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Upgrading Sora to 105
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
Hi, I'm looking for some advie reg. supgrading groupset. I currently have a Trek SL1200 road bike which i bought in 2014 with a new Sora groupset.

I'm wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to 105 groupset? £280 for set http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-5800-groupset/

Thoughts?
>>
>>929867
>implying wheels
>>
Would upgrading wheels be a more worthwhile option?
>>
>>929867
105 5800 is a nice groupset, but so is Sora 3500. If you want the two extra gears, hidden cables, and most importantly, _have_11speed_compatible_wheels (doubtfull), you can be your own judge about the value.
Now, I don't think your wheels are 11speed compatible, so factor in a new pair of wheels as well. At least a back wheel.

I'd say get a nice set of handbuilt wheels before upgrading the groupset. Unless you're doing some more usefull groupset swap, like going SRAM for hand ergonomic reasons or some such.
>>
>>929867
great price imo, but sora sould be good enough if its the latest gen. why do you think your group is lacking? maybe you want 11 speed?

I have the latest 105 mixed with ultegra and its great, so I do recommend it. An upgrade is harder to recommend though, you will need to get a rear wheel takes 11 spd if yours are old. but then it would be a better investment to buy a better wheelset instead of the group maybe?
>>
>>929867
I have full 105 group set and would advise you to buy a nice set of wheels first. Keep the old ones in the chance you want to upgrade the bike itself.

I upgraded to Ultegra wheels, they are amazing. I have 3K hard miles on them in pothole ridden streets, insane given the weight and spoke count.
>>
Not a sram shill but
After riding shimano for 4 years, and switched to sram just a month ago, i aint going back to shitmano
>>
get sram red22 instead ya doofus
>>
>>929867

The question is why do you want to upgrade?

If you're trying to shave gramz there are much cheaper options, which I will list now:

* crabon sitpole
* dem tires
* da tubez.. (for real light tubes 1 of best grams/$ upgrade)
* new wheelset

Even switching all of the bolts on your bike to Ti bolts from ebay is a cheaper gram/$ upgrade. eBay UNO stem is another. Even velocity veloplugs are a consideration (esp considering they cut rotational weight) - weight in the wheels is felt a lot during acceleration - moreso than the rest of the bike
>>
ride your bike until it explodes, once that happens you'll have enough shekels to buy a brand new bike with better parts. ta dah!
>>
>>930519
so much this
if you must spend the money buy a powermeter
>>
>>929867
Don't listen to other replies, OP. 105 is amazing and you should get it, but be aware you'll need a new rear wheel with an 11 speed hub.

I upgraded to the same group on my commuter a year ago and no regrets whatsoever. Shifting is smooth as fuck and components have lasted multiples longer than the crap that was on my bike before. It's also lighter, but that's a secondary effect.
>>
>>930519
>>930521
>recommending shaving grams and dick-measuring tools over an actual tangible improvement in functionality

wot
>>
>11 speeds is grams
u wut
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.