[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If there was a zombie apocalypse would you ride a bicycle?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8
File: img-0316jpg-674d583f2b57c87e.jpg (535 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
img-0316jpg-674d583f2b57c87e.jpg
535 KB, 1600x1200
If there was a zombie apocalypse would you ride a bicycle?
>>
Depends on how far I have a travel, how much food I have and how much noise I can make before attracting anyone.
I'd probably only ride a bike if I'm away from society.
>>
I would.

A bike with
> Steel frame
> massive spoke count
> All loose ball-bearings for easy service
> V-brakes
> Full touring racks and fenders
> Low SS gearing
> MTB levers - no need to hunt for degraded bar tape

You'll have to take the tires, chains, and cables as you go.

I'd consider:
> 26" if you're cross continents
> multiple brake options. Run disc and V-brakes, one breaks? Run cable to the other option.
> Run with gears, friction thumb shifters. Carry ss cog for inevitable break-down
>>
File: surly-ecr-740x493.jpg (225 KB, 740x493) Image search: [Google]
surly-ecr-740x493.jpg
225 KB, 740x493
>>
Yes, 90s rigid MTB
>>
Sorry. You're not allowed to do that.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoBikesInTheApocalypse
>>
my daily commute is pretty much a zombie apocalypse anyway
>>
>>929486
>>929499
/Thread
>>
>>929485
> not belt drive
Step it up senpai
>>
3x11 ultegra
Giant aluxx frame
Sick streamers &spokey dokeys
>>
Sure, I'd ride my bike.
2015 Zenith Riva (argie brand, it's pretty much like a Cannondale Trail or a Specialized Hardrock, as it is a base-component bike), which I'm upgrading to a full Alivio 4000 groupset, better wheels and stuff.

Brakes? V-Brakes, still. If there was a zombie apocalypse (or any shtf situation), good V's or Mech Discs are great.
>>
>>929499

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnZGdC-vTCo
>>
>>929738
>apocalypse
>not steel
>>
A cyclocross bike would be perfect
>>
>>930924
>apocalypse
>in any civilized country
You got bike stores virtually everywhere, you are not going to travel thousands of km on your steel frame just "because if it breakes i can solder it back".
Unless you know how to work with metal.
>>
>>929507

You would pick belt drive on a bike that needs to last you... forever?

You're a fool. Belts will not be available during the end times
>>
>>931122

The bike stores will be raided

Your only hope is scavenging old chains, tubes, and tires that aren't completely ruined
>>
>>929507
Nice meme
>>
>>929459
>zombie apocalypse would you ride a bicycle?
Any touring/rando bike would be fine.

Or...maybe a cargo bike for urban scavenging and a solar car for inter-city trips.

A folding MTB would have the advantage of being better for navigating fucked up hellscapes and long-dead warzones. I'd hate to try and get my touring bike up a crater wall at ground zero but it could be mad fun to bomb it on a MTB
>>
>>931131
>You're a fool. Belts will not be available during the end times
There are no replacement chains either. Or at least not after a year or two.

So...which is easier to craft from raw materials?
>>
No I would ride a 125cc dirt bike.
>>
>>931903
And when all gasoline runs out after a month?
>>
>>931926
dig for oil.
>>
fatbike i think. scavenging tires would be ass, but the ability to ride on, over, and through whatever would be great.
>>
>>931133
Raided? By who?
Unless 99% of the survivors are bikers or bike store mechanics, then no.

People would be raiding supermarkets, gun stores, pharmacies, even hospitals. But LBS? Really? wat
>>
>>932026
>Me again
I mean really, who would be looking for a 9 speed 11-34 sprocket in the midst of a fucking zombie apocalypse? Or a Hollowtech 2 BB?
>>
>>932026
*by whom
>>
Bike would be shit in an actual zombie apocalypse situation. You'd need to be carrying a lot stuff with you and after roads and trails aren't being maintained anymore they'll all turn to shit. So after a year or two the bike would just be dead weight. Which means that if you were to use a bike in a zombie apocalypse situation it doesn't matter how easily you can source replacement parts for it.

I'd take good aluminium frame backpack and a pair of skis over a bike in a zombie apocalypse. And if it wasn't winter and I would be getting far enough south to not be caught by winter ever again I'd drop the skis also. Walking might be slow but it means you can avoid infrastructure which would far outweigh the slow progress.
>>
>>932331
The roads aren't going to go to complete shit in such a short time, especially when they're being used less, and it'll take a long time for the trails to become completely unusable too. By the time it becomes impossible to commute by bike you'll be dead, natural causes or otherwise.
>>
>>932333
>looted&abandoned cars filling the roads

>first real storm comes by
>fallen trees everywhere

>winter comes around
>snow everywhere

The roads itself aren't gonna go to shit. However the roads will still be pretty much unusable without any maintenance around. Trails will go to shit even faster.
>>
>>932357
>looted&abandoned cars filling the roads
Go around them. There aren't magically going to be more cars on the roads after an apocalypse, shit there's likely to be even less as people leave town, crash into ditches, etc.

>first real storm comes by
>fallen trees everywhere
That depends entirely on where you live. Where I am trees very rarely fall from storms and those storms won't magically get worse after an apocalypse. Even if the odd tree does fall down I can either carry the bike over it and continue on my way or find a way around it, taking an entirely different route if need be.

>winter comes around
>snow everywhere
As above. It rarely snows here, a couple days a year if we're lucky (I don't think it's snowed significantly for at least 2 years). Even when the snow has been at it's worst it's not been bad enough to not be able to ride on once it's stopped falling.
>>
only if the zombies are slow lumbering undead that can't run.

pros: Bike can go places without needing fuel. they are quiet, and relatively simple.

cons: It would provide no protection, it is not that fast, a leg injury would prevent you from getting anywhere, and you cant carry much.

Another thing is bikes can go places other vehicles can't like across light foot bridges and narrow places, although this isn't much of a pro because those places are choke points which in a zombie situation you would want to avoid.

I would if there isn't a better option available. It is better than nothing, but far from best.
>>
>>934543
> hoping zombies can't run
> not putting out 4000 jiggawatts treshold
>>
>>934549
your "jiggawatt treshold" will vary with your health. In a zombie apocalypse you may not get to eat three meals a day, have access to potable water, or get proper sleep every night.
>>
I watched the walking dead all you need to do is take a car conveniently parked on the side of the road and start it. There is infinite petrol everywhere.
>>
>>929486

I've got one of those babies and they sure are comfy. Even if you did get eaten by z at least you had fun.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49qJTjAQaOc

There was a scene in World War Z, where they used bicycles to silently get to the evac plane.
>>
>>929459
providing i had the fitness, i would, as i'd use it to carry a load of supplies to the middle of a forest, and set up a moated camp.
>>
File: makeshift-stainless2.jpg (166 KB, 837x937) Image search: [Google]
makeshift-stainless2.jpg
166 KB, 837x937
>>934543
>you cant carry much.

you can carry enough to live on with one of these, assuming you can hunt or raid for food on a nearly daily basis

This is what I would ride, except V-brake instead of canti. SS, 26", steel touring
>>
File: makeshift-stainless1.jpg (217 KB, 1446x937) Image search: [Google]
makeshift-stainless1.jpg
217 KB, 1446x937
>>935671

Just realizing this is hub geared and has couplers. I would not have those
>>
>>932052
Sorry about that.
But my point still stands (as does this thread, which I assumed had died long ago).
>>
>>937227
Follow up to this.

Assuming roads do become full of crap, the best kind of bike I'd suggest would be either a mountain bike or an adventure bike. The bigger the tyres, the better (not going plus though), and I'd use semislicks because I'm just not stopping to change tyres every a couple of kms.

Also, I'd try to get a fully rigid bike (less weight, better reliability).

I'd never go tubeless in that "survival bike". Where I am, you can find good tubes practically everywhere.

If it breaks, change it. With a bike I wouldn't travel far (unless I really had to), and I'd try to bug in before having to bug out. Critical spares (tubes, one pair of tyres, chain and power links) become as important as weaponry.
>>
File: 1456724122754.png (230 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1456724122754.png
230 KB, 640x360
>>929485
>all that thought and effort
>>
File: imblyign.png (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
imblyign.png
57 KB, 500x500
>>937232
>Going tubeless prevents you from using tubes
Exactly the sort of nonsense I expect from someone who pluralises unit symbols.
>>
>>929459
While a bike is a really good idea, the main problem is going to be food, you'll be burning a fuck-tonne more calories riding a bike than driving a car, you're also much more limited on how much you can carry on looting runs.

I feel the ideal situation would be a sturdy Mountain bike for exploration, or quick movements, but having an all wheel drive truck (Preferably one that can run on kerosene or any sort of flammable crap you throw in it) of some sort you can move long distances in, along with all of your possessions that you need.
>>
>>935671
>Hunt several times a week
>Loot grocery store, or something once every month

I think I'd rather have a large vehicle that I could haul a large amount of supplies in at once, rather than risking having to leave the safety of a safe house as often
>>
>>937646
>Grocery stores will be re-stocked during the apocalypse
>>
>all these SS setup for low maintenance

how about a nuvinci hub? sealed for life, bombproof, gears
>>
File: 1417466432057.jpg (168 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1417466432057.jpg
168 KB, 1200x1200
I honestly don't think that I would go 'touring' I'd probably use it to ride around the city that I live in, being able to go far without making a lot of noise would be a huge benefit, not having to use petrol would be a bonus too.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the bicycle that I ride considering that there will be so many spare bicycles available everywhere.
>>
>>929459
No, because Hollywood told me so.
>http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoBikesInTheApocalypse
>>
>>929459
ive always wondered why ppl dont ride bikes in an apocalyptic situation? its all about looking for the stupid gas and a working car, in which you will eventually die trapped
>>
>>938059
> 2016
> thinks movies are real
>>
>>938019
Good job reposting the link from the fourth reply
>>
>>937639
If it is heavier (tubeless with tubes I'm speaking of), why would you go tubeless in the first place?

If it makes you carry more weight, then outright go for normal tyres, which at least in my country tehey are far more common.

First read, then, if you have any doubts, first ask them instead of rushing to respond to something that wasn't even said.
>>
>>938085
>fuck, new device and i forgot my name already
Furthermore, if I had to bug out, I'd stick with normal tyres (and tubes).
Most bikes in my country are either competition-grade MTB's, or old beach-cruiser-kind-of bikes, or old roadies. As I've already got a good MTB, I'd fit a good rigid fork and be on my way.
>>
>>937639
>Someone who pluralises unit symbols
Seriously wat, where did I do that?
>>
>>938090
nevermind.
>>
>>938085
>If it is heavier (tubeless with tubes I'm speaking of), why would you go tubeless in the first place?
So you don't have to use tubes. Are you dense or something?
>>
>>938106
You reckon everything else I said, right?
Here, unless you go to specialized stored (I mean lbs that exclusively sell parts for MTB's, you are just not going to find tubeless tyres, so the mere fact of carrying them around is stupid for a survival bike.

We ARE talking about an apocalypse, not normal riding, where I'd prefer tubeless over anything else.
>>
>>938107
What I'm meaning with this is that:
1. You are going to make sacrfices in either weight or reliability or whatever to adapt to the parts available in both your inmediate sorrounding area (if bugging in) AND everywhere else (in your country and/or destination), in order to have a working bike the most reliable way possible.
2. That meand you're going to 'revert' in means of riding tech to have a working bike you can service.

That doesn't mean a steel frame, obvoiusly (I have no problem with them whatsoever, but you are not going to be welding it if it gets damage), but it probably means mechanic discs and normal (old style, with tubes) tyres.
>>
>>938107
store*
>>
>>938106
Now, if in your country (or sorrounding area) there's high availability of tubeless tyres, then you are more than welcome to use them!

But keep in mind that you are replying to someone (me) who is most likely on another country and maybe even another continent (you should be able to guess by my name)
>>
File: didn't read.gif (788 KB, 190x119) Image search: [Google]
didn't read.gif
788 KB, 190x119
>>938107
>>938109
>>938111
>>938114
Just fuck off, fatuous namefag
>>
>>938107
> not knowing about peram never flat
>>
>>938143
>peram never flat
We ARE talking about availability.
Now, if I could bring one of those from the US, It'd be great. I'd bring about 10, just because.
>>
>>938143
Have you ever ridden one? I heard airless tires are pretty shit in general in terms of ride quality, rolling resistance, weight, shock absorption, etc.
Maybe this one is better.
>>
>>938965
No, but having it on my commuter would be nice. They have 3 hardness levels. I'd rather deal with all of the cons than changing flats in -30C weather. It's not like my commuter is featherlight with all the accessories on it anyway
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.