[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What else can I do? I bought this a month ago for $100 usd,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20160224_163108[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160224_163108[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
What else can I do?

I bought this a month ago for $100 usd, lubed everything, changed steel wheels to cheap alloys, all new cables etc. I have hoods coming in the mail.

What should I do next?

1970~ Peugeot ao 8.
>>
Sell it on craigslist and get something new. Also stop being poor
>>
>>927306
Selle Italia Turbo and Clement Strada LGG gumwalls. Looks to be in pretty good shape for the price and age.
>>
>>927318
oh and definitely a more classic bottle cage.
>>
Is that an AVA/ ATAX stem?
>>
>>927315
If ever one stops being poor maybe you'll lose money. You can't let that happen!
>>
>converting to hoods
Faggot.
>>927315
>not liking old bicycles
You're an even bigger faggot.
>tfw I have two modern carbon fiber bicycles but still very much enjoy my steel 80s ten speed
Get fucked.
>>
>>927318
This. Also move the levers down. They should be near vertical and not point forward like that. If that saddle height is right for you then the bike is two sizes too big.
>>
... You should ride it.
>>
>>927321
Yea it's an ava. As I understand it the stem isn't a death stem as there aren't two slots in the stem just one.
>>
>>927409
Not really "converting". When the bike was sold originally it had hoods.
>>
I'd replace those cottered cranks with anything that's not cottered. Cotter pins are pretty much one use so you have to replace them every time you want to remove the cranks, and on an old bike like that you'll need to service the bottom bracket if you haven't already
>>
>>927425
>
second
>>
>>927442
Everywhere I've looked makes it sound like the velo orange french threaded sealed BB is the only option, and that's $50. Seems overpriced and like a waste of money. Are there any other options?
>>
>>927452
It's not overpriced. What's a waste of money is an old French bike with a cottered crank that needs replacing.
>>
>>927453
Yea maybe I'll order one.
>>
>>927453

French bikes always fetch a larger price than you'd otherwise expect. I love old French steel myself but the amount some people want to entry level Peugeots, Gitanes, Motobecanes...it's insane.

OP, if you post that bike for sale in an urban area, you can easily sell it for $225-275.
>>
>>927452

That's not the only option. You can buy BB spindles with tapped and threaded ends and just swap them out.
>>
File: nervarstar.jpg (35 KB, 490x368) Image search: [Google]
nervarstar.jpg
35 KB, 490x368
i'd install some fenders / rack and ride it as is OP - when the bb gives out then you can decide what you want to do. i'd keep the cups and switch out the spindle and crank for a nicer one if it came to that, something like pic related.
you could change pretty much every component on this bike but selective upgrades here and there make more sense - you should ride it and then figure out what those should be.
a nice old bike in the best peugeot color...
>>
>>927306
Peugeot are solid commuters but thats it, just enjoy the bike and ride it until it breaks
>>
toeclips
>>
>>927424
Wrong, saddle height looks about right for an older steel bike. It's not a modern bike, friend :^)
>>
>>927306

I would put some Kool Stop meme pads on there.

After that I'd just keep it as-is. It's not worth dumping money into upgrading because it's heavy, french sizing nightmare, cottered cranks, etc.

Just beat the shit out of it and then upgrade to something totally new. Maybe move the wheels and saddle to a cheap ALU frame like a 90s cannondale or something
>>
>>927536
No it isn't. Rule of thumb for an old bike is a fist full of seatpost, and that's with a tall saddle like a Brooks.
>>
>>927547
I have new pads on there right now, they're mec brand and seem to work fine. Was going to buy the kool stop salmon pads but none of the places here had them.
>>
>>927547
also friction shifting is a fucking pain on this bike.
>>
>>927306
Did you overhaul the bb/headset?
More period looking cage?
Maybe toeclips and straps?
>ride and enjoy the old gal

>>927582
Getting use to it or the actual shifting mechanisms?
>>
>>927592
Both. The back derailleur is made out of shitty plastic, and I put a 7 speed cassette on when I got rid of the steel wheels. The derailleur is just something I'm waiting for to crack before I replace. then I'll get a sis dt shifters. They were on my old bike but it got stolen.
>>
>>927452
That's not the only option.
I rebuilt a UO8 and found the magic of threadless BBs.
I think a Sunlite makes a decent one in the right dimensions for older French bikes.
>>
>>927621
Forgot to mention, it's less than half the price of the VO one.
>>
>>927582
>also friction shifting is a fucking pain on this bike

I had friction shifting for a couple years on my commuter bike. I recently put the effort in to making it Indexed and I realized I was a lazy asshole for not doing it sooner

People online tell you you'll get used to it... yeah nah
>>
>>927633
Friction is a pain on that bike because it probably has shitty plastic simplex shifters.

It may not be as good as indexed but you do get used to it, especially with competent shifters.
>>
File: prometheus.gif (3 MB, 220x242) Image search: [Google]
prometheus.gif
3 MB, 220x242
>>927536
>>927654
>mfv when this is what CL bike bums actually try to convince themselves
>>
>>927479
this is wisdom.
>>
>>927654
yea it does have the plastic shifters.
>>
>>927441
I think you don't know what "hoods" means. The style levers in the OP picture are not hoods.
>>
>>927821
>When the bike was sold originally it had hoods
>>
>>927821
Hoods are the plastic/rubber things that cover the construction of the brake lever no? When these peugeots were being sold in the 70s they all had hoods to my knowledge.

Here's a pic of what I'm assuming are the "hoods".
>>
File: VkZsUdb[1].png (948 KB, 551x731) Image search: [Google]
VkZsUdb[1].png
948 KB, 551x731
>>927825
>>
>>927825
You are correct
>>
>>927825
Yes. Dont listen to this newb >>927821

Also,
>>927550
this, have your saddle five fingers above your stem.

And get a better saddle, and >>927592
>>
>>927691
Fred pls go
>>
>>927825
>>927827
That particular style seems to be referred-to as a "half-hood," FTR. Those MAFAC calipers are probably due for new bushings; check the Compass Cycles website for more info.
>>
File: Simplex1979_04-filtered.jpg (236 KB, 760x1078) Image search: [Google]
Simplex1979_04-filtered.jpg
236 KB, 760x1078
>>927613
Simplex made an entry-level, all-metal r-der, model name SX 410... should be able to find one on eBay.
>>
>>927306
rear rack
panniers
touring tires

that's all you need
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.