[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question: how do you get a job working in a bike shop without
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
Question: how do you get a job working in a bike shop without previous experience working in a bike shop?
>>
Like any other job anywhere : ask everywhere and you start small.
>>
>>926354
Buy yourself a few trash bikes, completely strip them and then build them again. Then after 1 week you can work in a bike shop.
>>
>>926354
Nepotism.
>>
>>926354
Go in the Springtime or right before. Now, actually, would be the perfect time to apply.

It helps if you frequent the place and they know you. Go in and ask if they need help or are hiring. When you fill out the application, go in a day or two later to follow up and make sure they remember you.

Most bike shops don't have people with plenty of experience lining up, but they're fairly small and tight-knit, so they want to know the people they're hiring are cool and worth spending their time around--especially when it's slow and empty during the winter.

It helps if you have at least some experience working on bikes. Changing tires/tubes and cables/housing is a good thing to know, because they can have you jump on that shit while they're working on rebuilding hubs or swapping bottom brackets or truing wheels. Anything else you do know is gravy, and what you don't you can learn on the job.

So, basically don't be an antisocial faggot, and at least have a basic level of knowledge of bike maintenance. There's not much competition in the bike industry cause it pays shit.

Source: got a job at a bike shop under these circumstances. It's a fun gig, especially if your shop is cool.
>>
>>926640
finally someone that knows what they're talking about on /n/
>>
>>926354

volunteer at a co-op or start as a cashier at a big bike chain like Performance Bikes

You need some concrete proof you know something before they'll hire you

Then you can have the $8/hr job of your dreams

Enjoy poverty and never having children (or being able to afford a nice bike)
>>
>>926654
I'm in poverty anyway. Having a job would be a massive upgrade from where I am now. Incredibly fit with savant level knowledge of computer parts car parts and recently learning bike parts.
Then again maybe I'm too old at 29.
>>
>>926354
why not get a job in the bike department of a sporting goods store?
>>
>>926705

Become an auto mechanic and get your shit together man, dang

bike shops around here employ crust punk 19 year olds. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are literally squatters
>>
By applying for a job at a bike shop

Sheldon Brown and Park Tool Repair Blog are good online resources to learn some stuff
>>
I actually just left my bikeshop job because shit hours and low pay, but I just walked in and asked the boss and he pretty much gave me the job. I had no prior shop experience but already knew how to do alot of repair stuff since bikes are my primary hobby and I do all my own stuff to my bikes
>>
I just paid $350 for a frame up assembly (not including wheelbuilding), a brake hose, a shock bushing and seatpost bleed. Labor rate was $50/hr @ 5 hrs. Does it really take 5 hrs to completely assemble a full suspension bike?
>>
>>927325
It can do. Some times shit is fiddly. If all goes smoothly it won't that that long.
>>
File: nothiring.jpg (45 KB, 619x710) Image search: [Google]
nothiring.jpg
45 KB, 619x710
>>
>>926354

Dress up like a pretentious faggot and act like one too
>>
>>927325
>paying lbs tree fiddy for bullshit
Get a quote before you let them do anything. Honestly, unless you're making $100 an hour, and keeping $50 after taxes, it's silly to have the LBS do anything but specialty work like shock rebuilds.
>>
Be a student with a background of riding bikes. You'll start off building. Sometimes they might start you off on sales if you prefer, and if you have previous customer service experience.
>>
Be attractive/have a good rack.
Women in cycling is a growing meme and bigger shops are frothing female sales staff, however if youre not hot you have fuck all chance
>>
>>928491
>Women in cycling is a growing meme
Some LBSs are part of cycle trader groups that have "accreditation" for various things, like having competent mechanics, knowledgeable salesmen, and being "female-friendly". Having a woman on your staff is a fast track to getting that "female-friendly" accreditation.

You and I both know that there are a lot of women who are only interested in cycling as a tag-along to their male partner. However, serious (stand-alone) female cyclists do exist. I'm sure most LBSs don't give a shit what you have between your legs, just as long as you fork over the money. The tricky thing is managing these assumptions while not coming across as patronising.
>>
>>926354
I had only been riding a bike for just a little over 2 years. I'd been working Data Security for a long time, was getting fat and miserable and took up riding as a way to not be such a fat cunt.
Local shop was hiring, applied, went in for interview. They knew I was inexperienced but liked my enthusiasm.
I do sales though, not repairs. Been there for a year now, and i'm as happy as can be with the job.
I've learned a great deal about cycling. Fun job for the most part.
>>
>>926705
You sound like a negative autistic sad sack. Probably should stay away from working in a bike shop

Approximately half of savants are autistic; the other half often have some form of central nervous system injury or disease.
>>
>>927325
>>Not paying a flat rate

Moron
>>
>>926654
Make 12 an hour at a lbs been there 2 years
>>
>>926654
>or being able to afford a nice bike
Except LBS employees can get nice bikes for 40-60% off retail price.
>>
>>928722
While earning 60-80% less.
>>
>>928726
I work at a LBS and I have four bikes, two of which are high end carbon bikes, and I am going to be getting a fifth bike this year. Your move.
>>
>>928732
I also have those, but don't live in a one room apartment subsisting on instant ramen and protein powder.
>>
>>928732
Also I have 2 cages
>>
File: fm156.jpg (229 KB, 1000x661) Image search: [Google]
fm156.jpg
229 KB, 1000x661
>>928676
>>928485
The original quote was $150-250. I did just give them the frame and a box full of unopened components, none of which I bought at the shop. I think they taxed me for shopping on the internet.
>>
i worked at a bike shop for a month before i went to uni.
i am a regular customer and just asked if i can try and work, so for 1 week he just let me come whenever i want and learn to work there and then i got paid. it's hard work though, frustrating and needs patience.
>>
File: gotmilk.jpg (367 KB, 1395x765) Image search: [Google]
gotmilk.jpg
367 KB, 1395x765
>>926354
buya shop.,, dodentistry on the side.
>>
>>928810
>no back bone this one has
>>
>bike shop
>experience

Its literally just unscrewing parts?

Have you ever unscrewed something before?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.