[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want a mini-velo but I don't want to spend $800. So,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: 1446655009727.jpg (342 KB, 1280x896) Image search: [Google]
1446655009727.jpg
342 KB, 1280x896
I want a mini-velo but I don't want to spend $800.

So, I found a $80 Walmart kids bmx bike with 7 gears and 20" tires. I thought I was in luck (just swap the handlebars and stem and call it a day) but then I realized the geometry of the frame and the angle of the seat wouldn't work.

So... I looked around some more and saw a similar kids mountain bike, and I think if I swapped out the suspension fork for a bmx rigid, it would adjust the seat post angle juuuust enough to be almost upright. However, then I'm worrying about the pedals slapping the ground.

Could I swap out the crank arms for shorter ones and be okay?

Pic related. What I want, but not trying to spend a lot of money.
>>
Even if you got the shortest possible crank arms you'd still clear like 1cm, which wouldn't help a lot.
>>
How about 300$

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/nano.htm
>>
>>921836
I was trying to stay under $200, and I don't like the gear shifters on those.

This is just gonna be a fun project, not my main bike.
>>
>>921843
>I don't like the gear shifters on those.
As opposed to what? What do BMX use?
>>
>>921846
It's like a trigger type, but that's not the point, I would be replacing them with STI shifters (probably the cheapest possible), but the holes left from a frame mounted shifter would erk me.
>>
File: problem_solvers_shifter_boss.jpg (79 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
problem_solvers_shifter_boss.jpg
79 KB, 800x500
>>921849
>>
File: 5638709943_427d22458a_z.jpg (158 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
5638709943_427d22458a_z.jpg
158 KB, 640x480
>>921849
And this
>>
>>921850
>>921851
He is using STI snifters retard, so obviously he'd he using the shift bosses. He's just too much of a retard to realize that because he's a retard.
>>
>>921853
Because of the long head tube of mini vélos, there is a cable stop on the down tube in addition to the shifter post on the head tube. I think it would make sense to just route directly to the down tube stop, would be less bends on the cable.
>>
>>921857
He's complaining about having empty holes like they're going to necessarily be there, and you need some kind of adjuster for the front.
>>
File: 5439492917_8a388feae4.jpg (118 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
5439492917_8a388feae4.jpg
118 KB, 500x375
>>921832

if you are tall the seat tube angle might fuck your plans up.

but check these out

http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-components/drivetrain/adding-gears-to-a-single-speed-bmx

>
"BMXs although having very low stand over height are long in the top tube - even the mini/micro frames. For this reason I had to turn the offset seat post that the farm came with around so I could get the seat further forward. I also had to tilt the handlebars back to further shorten the cockpit. A zero offset post would be best for this application."

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2004/g/skid10.htm

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/huffy/17815
>>
>>921832
Op why wouldn't the frame geometry work? Was the seat tube angle too far back? This seems like an interesting project...
>>
>>921832
What's the point? Just get a folding bike.
>>
>>922265
Even a folding bike is going to be pretty expensive if you want a good brand
>>
>>921836
>http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/nano.htm

Oh wow thanks Anon. I'm going to save up for this. Think I could get a good exercise out of one of these?
>>
>>921836

Don't the sell just the frame?
>>
Where is the fun in minivelos? They look so neat, but what niche do they fill?

Most importantly, how good are they for commuting? I'd love to have a neat little bike I could take inside with me when I go to class/school but I'd like something a little more unique than a folding bike...
>>
Know how to ride a bike
>>
File: news_facepalm.jpg (43 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
news_facepalm.jpg
43 KB, 240x240
>>923029
>Not a folder
>Tiny wheels, poor stability
>Hey let's put the disadvantages of everything together!
>>
>>923046
wow epic photo friend i also love le facepalm XD
>>
>>923046
>cheaper than folders
>more options without compromising the function
>etc. Etc.

Goes both ways, friendo
>>
So ive got a 20 inch bmx bike that i would like to use for a potential project here, but with 2 20 inch wheels, the seat tube and headtube angles seem too slack, would putting a 16 inch wheel on the front help alleviate some of this issue, to make everything more upright?
>>
>>923089
It will also lower the bottom bracket/cranks, reducing your cornering clearance. Putting a different size wheel on a fork not designed for it will mess with rake and trail I think, so the handling won't be like a 20" wheel with just a steeper HT angle
It may be worth a try if you don't need a front brake and you have a spare 16" wheel laying around that will fit the dropout. If you are looking at junk bikes to pull a salvageable wheel from, also keep an eye out for an 18" wheel: they come on some dept. store kids bikes.
>>
>>923090
Ive laid out the cranks im hoping to put on it and i seem to be fine with the clearances there. I'm not planning on doing any sort of real aggressive riding with is so im not too hung up on cornering clearance at the moment.

ill keep an eye out on craigslist for 18 inch wheels, i was just trying out what i had around the house. I guess if i really wanted to i could put the other 16 inch wheel i have on the back of this one.

I just didnt know if 20/16 would raise any significant issues. Theres an empty brake bridge on the back so i could swap the front brake to that spot for safety. It might just be easier to keep it 20/20 and just "deal with it" but with that long long seatpost im worried it's going to act like a big ass lever arm when i ride it
>>
>>923029
>>923046
I'm this guy>>923013
And all I can say is that I'm not a racer or intense rider of any sort. I have a Kona Dew Plus but everytime I want to ride it I have to carry it up 2 flights of stairs, bring it inside and then carry it down a flight of stairs which is unwieldy and not convenient. I just want to ride a bike more often around and get a good excercise.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.