[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sailboat thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 63
File: failboat.jpg (384 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
failboat.jpg
384 KB, 1600x1067
Newcomer to /n/, I think this is the right place for boating, but I didn't see any sailing shit in the catalog.

Basically I'm about to buy a sailboat for living purposes, not racing or competition but I literally have no idea what I'm doing as far as maintenance or even taking her out. It's a small 32 footer like pic related with a tiny cabin that's just large enough for my needs, I'll post pics of the one I want as long as this thread belongs here.

Do any of you /n/iggers know anything about sailing or yachts? I'll delete this thread if it doesn't belong here, any expertise or infographs would be appreciated.
>>
>>921482
There are a few sailors around. But this is a pretty in-depth topic, and you'll want more of an understanding than just some rules of thumb and anecdotes.

It could be great fun, but I'd suggest checking out a dedicated sailing forum if you want better advice.
>>
>>921512

Sweet, thanks. I'll bump once to see if anyone cares.
>>
Zombies can't swim
>>
What up, OP. Used to live aboard a sailboat myself, what do you want to know?
>>
File: Near Coos Bay.jpg (4 MB, 3933x2169) Image search: [Google]
Near Coos Bay.jpg
4 MB, 3933x2169
>>921814
Sweet! How large? Any tips for simply living aboard would be cool.

What should I look for when I buy one as far as flaws? The one I want is in Coos Bay in southern Oregon, and I live on the border or Oregon and Washington, so I'd have to take her up the coast into the Columbia river. I'm in the process of getting my boater's license, and my dad lived on a yacht, but I know little to nothing about actual sailing. To save on gas, I'd like to sail as much as possible (time isn't necessarily a factor, if I have to go 4 blazing knots an hour, that's fine).

Basically I would have to take it about 250 miles into the mouth of the river. I won't make you try to explain everything, but is there anything you could think of that a first time sailboat owner absolutely HAS to know? I'm trying to track down the listing so I can post pics, I was retarded and didn't bookmark it.

>>921758

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's thought about this.
>>
>>921938
Not the person you're replying to but:

knots an hour is a measure of acceleration, not speed. You'll sound like a dingus among sailors since knots = nautical miles / hour
thus knots per hour = nautical miles/hour/hour

There are a lot of sailors in and around the gorge. Check some sailing forums for more local advice.

It may be cheaper, easier to just borrow a trailer and tow the boat to where you want it since it's only 32'

When buying a boat it is generally good to have a professional survey done. Common problem areas involve moisture soaked into various parts of the boat, keel damage due to past groundings and stuff, and poor condition of the rig, whether due to it being old and worn out or damaged by people doing dumb shit.

Definitely look at the rig and make sure it's in good condition because that is one thing that could put a novice sailor in a world of trouble.

Also the keel is important if it falls off you're fucked (search Oyster 825)
>>
Flying Juniors are very fun boats.
>>
I'm not from the states, so I may be wrong on certain conventions and may miss some specific pitfalls, but here's some things you should be aware of.

>Boats are called 'she' for a reason. They occupy large amounts of your time attention and money, can be thoroughly unpleasant (and downright dangerous) at times, but are a lot of fun and you'll love the right one.

Before you buy, you should get the boat taken out of the water and inspected by a professional (search for marine surveyors). You will probably have to pay this cost, but the seller may be willing to deduct that from the sale price, although that is by no means guaranteed. The Surveyor will check the hull, rig, LPG arrangements, and electrics, but not the condition of the sails, and engine checks will be fairly cursory. In some cases the owner may have already had a survey done, in which case they should be able to show you the paperwork.

Before you take it anywhere get the engine inspected by a marine engineer, preferably in the water so that it can be easily run for a test. If you intend to sail it, check all fittings for looseness in their fastening points, all ropes for fraying, and put the sails up in the marina to check their condition (particularly around stitch lines and creases). The shape should be a smooth curve when full, with the largest chord about a third from the front. If the sail sticks in the mast track that should be fixed as it will prevent you from taking the sail down in an emergency (personal experience).

more to come soon
>>
>>922422
cont

I forgot to say in the previous post, beware of MDF interiors (especially if newer than the boat). They absorb moisture from the atmosphere, swell up and lose their integrity.

Boats need Antifoul paint on the bottom to prevent plant and shellfish growth, and sacrificial anodes (usually zinc) to protect the rest from corrosion. Most people here redo these annually, but it will vary on your climate. It will likely be worth repainting the underside while the boat is out of the water for inspection before you buy.

Ask the marine engineer about your specific engine, but common problem areas are oil, heat exchangers, water pumps and corrosion in the exhaust. This last one is one of the more common causes of boats sinking at the mooring. Beware of moisture in the fuel, drain the bottom of the tank regularly. Run your engine at least monthly or the bores are likely to corrode over time. Check your damn anodes. Close the water inlet when the engine's not running. (These all apply to inboard engines specifically, outboards have their own rules)

If the boat has a refrigerator it will probably use an engine-driven compressor, so you will have to run the engine a couple of times a day to bring the temperature down.

The best way to learn to sail is on someone elses boat. By and large yachties are friendly types, so it shouldn't be hard to find someone willing to teach you the basics. Here the coastguard offers dayskipper courses, which I recommend to anyone that sails. Get an experienced sailor to come with when you first take your own boat out, and don't go until you've already sailed in at least 20 kt winds. Always be aware of the weather forecast and don't go out when it's bad.

And lastly, don't expect to make money on any improvements you make. Returns will be 10% at best. Do them because you want them (or to avoid drowning).

Welcome to the fraternity, and best of luck
>>
File: sailand.jpg (33 KB, 600x352) Image search: [Google]
sailand.jpg
33 KB, 600x352
Costa Mesa, Boat manufacturing capitol,,, of, the,, WORLD!
,,deep ocean crossing art,, with Hobit like interiors,,,, one by one, they all trashed my resume., untill Mac Gregor, the lowest of the low!
,, draging my keal on the shole of shame., souless plasticrap,,, strangly, hastode the test of time.
, working in the "Race/custom shop was nicer,,maybe was better pay, and less hufffing acetone.
,,, clasic plastic,, itsall Gud!
>>
>>921938
River rat here, not sure where you are, but just tow the boat in man. The Columbia Bar is a fucking headache, people in motorboats fuck up trying to get out of the mouth much less you presumably soloing a sailboat with again I assume little experience. Got anyone who will sail with you a bit? Do you have experience? You know there are some meet ups in Hayden Island area to learn to sail, after a bit you might be able to make the trip.
>>
>>922459
Since you're a newcomer, this is BaconRider, posts in plenty of places, appears insane. If you can't understand him don't worry, he's mostly harmless.
>>
File: sailcheeper.jpg (19 KB, 337x450) Image search: [Google]
sailcheeper.jpg
19 KB, 337x450
>>923272
>>921482
nowits yourturn.,
, PICS,, and local CL., $2000 tops.
,,, seems the price of small cabinsailers is riseing., maybe like you,, home is elusive?
, Luckyou!, the Seallways loves You!
>>
File: sailBW.jpg (149 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
sailBW.jpg
149 KB, 480x320
PIC> almost every day.,, i had acces to all the boats in the club free,, but little guy was FAST and Sailingest.
,,, love those strong winds,,,headed outo sea,, coast guard has 2 redflags black squares., that means FUNAHEAD!
,, water spouts,,, whirl pool., the only time ive put on my life vest.
>>
File: sail home.jpg (45 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
sail home.jpg
45 KB, 600x450
Wishome.
>>
File: 1320655740320.jpg (60 KB, 400x401) Image search: [Google]
1320655740320.jpg
60 KB, 400x401
>>922113
>>922422
>>922443

This is all amazing advice, thank you guys so much, I'm really appreciative.

>>923271
>Hayden Island

That's where I grew up, I was planning to moor my vessel there.

>>922459

Wat

Seems like a bot or something but maybe it's just brain damage.
>>
>>925401
No that's BaconRider he is a good guy.
>>
>>921482
http://www.blueanarchy.org/
>>
File: 1448485104463-sci.jpg (49 KB, 500x312) Image search: [Google]
1448485104463-sci.jpg
49 KB, 500x312
>>921482
The sea is a harsh and unforgiving misstress.
>>
>>921482
I know quite a bit. I've owned two sailboats, andI currently liveaboard a 25ft Macgregor. (pic related). If you have any questions let me know.
>>
>>926629
Is it more or less expensive than renting an apartment?
>>
>>926633
Way cheaper. I paid $1800 for my boat, and the slip rental is $380 a month and that includes unmetered electricity, water, and wifi. Also, since I have a small boat, maintenance upkeep is only about $400 a year. (pic of my galley that I built to replace the old one.)
>>
>>926635
Where the fuck do I find cheap boats online.
>>
File: image.jpg (161 KB, 852x1041) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161 KB, 852x1041
>>925401
If you end up moored there, post in this thread. We'll get a beer
>>
>>926674
Normally craigslist, I actually found mine on the side of the road coming out of an estate sale. There's also alot of cheap boats in Florida.
>>
File: 1320636699248.jpg (100 KB, 830x541) Image search: [Google]
1320636699248.jpg
100 KB, 830x541
>>926676

My Nigga

Are you at Tomahawk? I grew up in Tomahawk & Hayden Bay.

Or are you across from the Hooters at Jantzen ;)
>>
pls don't die boat thread
>>
>>926674
right now you should take advantage of the low Canadian dollar and buy a boat from there. you will save around 30%
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 575x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 575x375
does anyone else here actually know how to make a sailboat go fast and does a bit of racing?
>>
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 1136x640
also any laser sailors?
>>
>>930565
I only know the basics, myself. You'd probably have a better time just looking it up online.
>>930568
Nope, I wanted to, but FJs were fun too.
>>
>>930573
did you sail them in collage?
>>
>>930568
i used to own one. Not that fun desu. They're tiny, got no spinnaker, no trapeze. get a bigger boat.
>>
>>930615
They are fun in big breeze and they have a great fleet.

Iv sailed some skiffs and big boats that maybe you would find a bit more enjoyable.

Nothing wrong with messing around in different boats.
>>
Is there a toilet on these 30-footers?
>>
>>930853
most boats 30feet will have a head yes.
>>
>>930853
>>930902

If there's a bathroom wherever you're moored (which there should be) I'd recommend using it for your shits. If you have a less than new boat that's fairly small, mounds of poop will put a strain on your sewage system, and you'll always be emptying your crap tank.
>>
>>922459
BaconRider, if you don't mind me asking, why does everything you post look like it has gone though google translate? If you are using a translator would you mind telling me which one and what language you are translating from? idk i have just always been curious but never asked
>>
How would these small boats fare in waves like this?https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPy2DHHnlqQ
>>
>>932358
IF you have a well built Seaworthy small vessel, IF those crest at the top of each wave don't broach you, IF you don't capsize, IF your rigging doesn't break, you might actually live. It honestly depends on the boat, and most importantly the experience of the captain. There are probably only a few small sailboats that could handle those seas. Any boat in this thread would get you killed more than likely in water like that. Plus good luck with the washing machine effect those big boys have. Hell 10ft seas are terrifying in my 25 footer.

If you plan on taking a Catlina or even a Morgan out in stuff like that make sure you have a will for your family. If you plan on taking most 40-50ft cruisers in stuff like that you should probably have one lined up as well.

Not saying a small sailboat couldn't survive it, but the odds are not pretty.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Idk if this is for this thread but I don't want to make a new one

Why is this boat spraying water into the air? It's been in the same spot for 20 minutes
>>
>>933156

I saw this the other day going over a bridge.

I think it's the coast guard doing exercises for putting out fires or something.
>>
>>933156
>>933176
Yep it's a fire boat.
>>
>>931457
Baconese is its own magnificent, beautiful language
>>
File: 1320540748110.jpg (237 KB, 500x641) Image search: [Google]
1320540748110.jpg
237 KB, 500x641
>>921482

Pros and cons of living on a boat? I'm kind of thinking about doing it myself.
>>
>>934583
Cons.
These really depend on the boat; big or small, motor or sail, hull design etc.
Boats get more expensive, exponentially, as you go up in length. This includes cost of the boat, maintenance, dock fees, fuel or sails etc.
Most boats don't have as much space as a house (some can see downsizing as a negative).
As I said, the cons really depend on the boat you are looking at, if you want just throw out something you would be looking at to live on and I can get mote specific.

Pros
The best sleep you'll ever get is on the water.
You can travel to some beautiful places .
It can be way cheaper than living on land.
You can take your house with you if you move (cities on the water obviously).
Chicks dig it. No seriously, wanna come back to my sailboat is a great way to get laid.
Your backyard can be massive.
Motorboats are fast, fun, and usually spacious.
Sailboats are relaxing, cheap to travel in, and sexy.
Most of your neighbors will be cool as fuck.

Since you didn't specify what kind of boat I'll list what I deal with on my boat.

I have a 25ft Macgregor. Its a smaller sailboat that I liveaboard. Since it is smaller I don't have a lot of storage, or room for guests. I also don't have much headroom. My head is basically a bucket when I'm out sailing. (I use the marinas restrooms when at the dock). I don't have a great cooking setup, just an electric skillet and coffee pot. My boat has a few leaks from the top deck which can be annoying, and also there isn't much insulation from temperature.

The upside is my boat is small enough I can put it on a trailer and take it accords the country of I need to. I have all the space I need for my self and the occasional one Night stand. I can single hand my boat no problem so I can go sailing whenever I like. I have a small motor that is cheap to work on and barely even uses fuel. Being a small boat my slip fee is only $300 a month which is cheaper than I could ever rent living on the Gulf of Mexico in a house.
>>
>>934692
>Chicks dig it. No seriously, wanna come back to my sailboat is a great way to get laid.

Sailor here. Can vouch for that 100%. Taking chicks sailing as a first date was the best idea I ever had. Not only is it a great experience for them, it makes you look competent and gives you something to talk about. I have never failed to bed a girl I have taken sailing one on one.
>>
>>934703
You had any use the mast as a stripper pole yet? I had one girl ask if she could dance on it, since my boom is easily removed, I happily obliged her on that!
>>
File: 794421703937027417_538415442.jpg (136 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
794421703937027417_538415442.jpg
136 KB, 640x640
>>934710
I have not, but I'll be certain to try next time I take a girl out.

Also, OP, windalert is a great app for seeing what winds like in your area, assuming it's supported there.
>>
File: 1210152317b~2.jpg (1 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
1210152317b~2.jpg
1 MB, 2340x4160
>>934729
Man I'd love to have that boat in your pic and restore her, that's not your boat is it? Here's my Mac 25 at Christmas
>>
File: implication dennis.jpg (40 KB, 329x271) Image search: [Google]
implication dennis.jpg
40 KB, 329x271
>>934703
>>
>>934739
Love that scene
>>
>>934739
>>934740

My stepmom was a dock wench and my dad nailed her on their first date because of >the implication.

Bitches love boats.
>>
File: 20150814_122548.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20150814_122548.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>934731
It's not sadly. It's a 30 foot trimaran that goes by where I work sometimes.My friend took that picture, he happened upon it on some random beach, I don't know where. It's beat but looks pretty cool, I'm not sure is trust it on open ocean but it's well suited to bay.

I don't own a boat, I don't have the room. But I've worked as a sailing instructor for about five years now. The seasons about to start, not looking forward to painting and buffing for a month but its gotta be done.
>>
>>934809
Oh nice, any plans on getting your own vessel?
>>
File: IMG_20140814_134338.jpg (968 KB, 1920x1920) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140814_134338.jpg
968 KB, 1920x1920
>>934853
Maybe at the end of summer. I've got a lot of financial planning to do so a lot of things are in the air. I just got expelled from college.
>>
File: boatsslide.jpg (38 KB, 640x280) Image search: [Google]
boatsslide.jpg
38 KB, 640x280
>>930565
I do a little. The only real way to get better is to get on the water and practice, particularly with people more experienced than you. There's so much to learn that you will never finish.
I would recommend it to anyone that has the time and can get into a reliable crew, particularly if the opposition is also out every week. It is absolutely the best way to improve your skills and seamanship.
>>
>>934881
>I just got expelled from college.

Okay, now you have to tell us why.
>>
File: 793647199329741702_34920537.jpg (145 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
793647199329741702_34920537.jpg
145 KB, 640x640
>>936080
Bad grades. And I fucked a chick on a lawn and got caught.
>>
>>926635
How bad does it suck living in a 25' boat? I want to live aboard, and I don't require a lot of space, but 25' seems like pushing it. Ultimately I'd like to build my own, something like a didi 40cr.. Pretty small for it's length desu only 10k lb displacement.

Of course a huge 65' yacht would be great but I could never afford such a thing.

I've heard a used J/30 makes a decent small lvieaboard cruiser too..
>>
>>930565
>>930565
I was on sailing team in college but we just sailed shitty little FJ's, I'm too big for them. Would have rather sailed a starboat or such.
>>
>>934703
Yep. My college had a 40' yacht and I fucked quite a few girls in that boat since I was living with parents. They loved it...

>Sailboat and chill?
>>
>>934881
>expelled from college
Nice. Thinking about quitting grad school myself to go live on a boat cause fuck the rat race.
>>
File: Jul 17, 2015 05:23:09 PM.jpg (378 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Jul 17, 2015 05:23:09 PM.jpg
378 KB, 1080x1920
>>936294
J30's are a pretty alright size if the j24 is anything to go by. I imagine a 30 would be fine for one person. My workplace has a 30 foot cat that's very roomy, but it's a cruiser and expensive as shit. A j30 is no doubt faster and cheaper.
>>
>>930568
Standing by.
>>
>>930615
If you don´t live where winds can pick up, yeah they´re terrible. Luckily, I live where winds are around and above 20kts regularly.
>>
>>936294
It is probably the smallest boat one can live on comfortably. It's a small space, no fixed shower or head, just portable (I use the marina's) I have a full time job and go to school, so when i'm on my boat I'm either sailing, relaxing, or sleeping. 2 people would most likely be a no. I however could do it if I found the right girl that was ok with being pretty close. 3 people would honestly be a hell no, even from me lol.

27' foot would probably be an ideal length for a small sailboat to liveaboard. 40' would be a mansion for me. There is a 65' boat that I have an eye on for the future. I really really want a MacGregor 65', only about $150k. That's a whole lot of boat that kind of money.
>>
>>934731
>>936627

OP here, now we can be boat twins

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/55699
>>
>>936654
There you go. I would say $2500 is a little strong. You should be able to talk him down. If you go look at it there are some things to watch for. Cracked or squishy fiberglass, bubbles in the fiberglass, loose chain plates where the side stays attach, lose chain plates on the forestay and backstay. Bends or damage to the mast, if the boats been sitting and has water inside that's not a bad thing, it means the hull doesn't leak, but you might be fighting mold and mildew. Check the electrical system for corrosion. Check the trailer and tires.

Here's what I got for only $1800. She was a little dirty but cleaned up well. Plus I got a tandem axle trailer with it instead of the single.
>>
File: 00P0P_28S4G47KlK4_600x450.jpg (36 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00P0P_28S4G47KlK4_600x450.jpg
36 KB, 600x450
>>936627
Saw this magnificent monstrosity on craigslist... 65' and only $55k. Imagine it's roomy as hell if nothing else.
>>
File: tiki38pilgrim.jpg (106 KB, 1023x768) Image search: [Google]
tiki38pilgrim.jpg
106 KB, 1023x768
>>936330
Modern cats are just so damn hideous though. If I were gonna go for a cat I'd try to find a cheap wharram. Kind of dig the hippie aesthetic they've got going on.
>>
>>936292
>And I fucked a chick on a lawn and got caught.
Killjoys tbqh, what's wrong with security just moving you on?
>>
File: Cape To Rio 2014 068.jpg (368 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Cape To Rio 2014 068.jpg
368 KB, 1600x1200
More boats plz
>>
File: 079.jpg (1 MB, 4592x3056) Image search: [Google]
079.jpg
1 MB, 4592x3056
>>937478
>>
File: hans1.jpg (570 KB, 1912x1311) Image search: [Google]
hans1.jpg
570 KB, 1912x1311
>>
File: 2013_09_0957 copy.jpg (164 KB, 942x589) Image search: [Google]
2013_09_0957 copy.jpg
164 KB, 942x589
>>
File: img_2549.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
img_2549.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
>>
File: 10-1.jpg (89 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
10-1.jpg
89 KB, 800x600
>>
>>927477
Lol I'm out behind the hotel at Haden Island marina. Any developments?
>>
File: aydQ5oW_700b.jpg (42 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
aydQ5oW_700b.jpg
42 KB, 640x640
>>937982

Hayden Bay is Best Bay.

My girlfriend has been bugging me about looking up slip prices but I might just try to buy one of my own and sail away silently into the night with my cat.

My dad did this all the time, whenever my mom was being a bitch he'd just go out for a pack of cigarettes and crash on his boat. Eventually when I got to be a teenager my dad finally clued me in to where it was moored.

If I ever get married, I'm for sure getting a sailboat and not telling my wife. It's a good doghouse when she's being a bitch, and it's damn hard to make you pay child support if you can sail your house to another state.
>>
>>921482
People who live on docked sailboats are considered homeless here in San Diego

It isn't a good life and being docked means it will never have time out of the water so you can't maintain it as much as you should
>>
>>939261
This ignorant motherfucker.
>>
>>939308
Census counted them as homeless awhile back
>>
>>939258
You sound like an awful person and your dad sounds like a deadbeat.
>>
>>939312
Good for the census. But people who live legally in a slip are not homeless.

Also 'good life' is entirely subjective, and a blanket statement like that is pretty ignorant. Having been around liveaboards I know many of them who would strongly disagree that their lives are 'not good.' Also, boats can come out of water. And still be lived on. People that live aboard are intimately familiar with the maintenance they require.
>>
>>939313

You sound like a raging cunt of a female whose husband left her for a jolly life at sea.

>>939261
>People who live on docked sailboats are considered homeless here in San Diego
>San Diego

Well you guys are elitist as fuck in SD so I'm not surprised. If your house is under 15,000 square feet I'm sure you're probably considered homeless.

>"Yess you faggot Tijuanans, look at my beautiful green lawn. Wow, this water is so clean I think I'll spray it all over the ground..."
>>
I'm also very interested in the liveaboard life. I'm thinking of buying something cheap just to spend weekends on the lake this summer and teaching myself how to sail. My biggest question is how easy is it to take down the mast and tow a <30 ft sailboat? I've got a truck and plenty of space to store a boat and what I really want is something me and a few friends can stay on for a Saturday to drink/grill/swim then take it back home on a Sunday.
>>
File: IMG_20150905_185100.jpg (765 KB, 1944x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150905_185100.jpg
765 KB, 1944x1944
>>939508
Trailer sailors are pretty awesome. I've owned 2 and actually liveaboard a 25ft Macgregor (trailable boat). The towing is easy since you have a truck. The mast raising and lowering is pretty easy especially if you have a gin pole setup (pole that attaches to the base of the mast with a winch setup). If you don't have a system its a little harder. I have a 29' mast and it takes two guys to get it up and Its tricky.
>>
>>939261
>It isn't a good life

How do you know that?

>being docked means it will never have time out of the water so you can't maintain it as much as you should

I imagine that's a bigger problem if you're in the ocean. Those of us in fresh water generally don't have to worry about wear and tear quite as much.
>>
File: llangollen_canal.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
llangollen_canal.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>921482
Get a canal boat m8, would be fucking comfy.
>>
File: ty.jpg (109 KB, 500x287) Image search: [Google]
ty.jpg
109 KB, 500x287
>>936292
were you roomates with ty webb?
>>
>>939573
I've been looking around and there are a few 25 footers in my area that I can afford. However, I currently live at home with my parents and I've been looking to move out. How welcome to liveboards are lake marinas? I live near lake Norman in NC and if the slip is only 300 bucks a month that beats finding a single bedroom apartment by a landslide. You think I'd be ble to find a marina that would let me live there most of the time?
>>
>>941036
>tfw no comfy little canals with comfy little narrowboats in the US
>>
File: IMG_20150327_192517_104.jpg (1 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150327_192517_104.jpg
1 MB, 1836x3264
>>941104
Don't use the term liveaboard when aking marinas. Use transient that's looking to stay 4-8 months, is it possible to stay on my boat.
>>
>>941311
Yeah I figured I'd ask in a roundabout way like, is there a limit to how much time I can spend on my boat. Coming right out and asking about liveaboard probably would get me turned away, but what do I do when a few months in they notice I'm there every day?
>>
File: aeGWbNW_460s.jpg (97 KB, 460x689) Image search: [Google]
aeGWbNW_460s.jpg
97 KB, 460x689
>>941436

Where I live it's fine, there are certain communities that rely on their liveabords,
>>
File: fj4dsRgo.jpg (80 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
fj4dsRgo.jpg
80 KB, 768x1024
>>941436
Yeah, same as above. Where I am at, they're cool with it. Some places might require you to go out sailing for a few days in a row or something.
>>
File: bendy.jpg (847 KB, 1789x1169) Image search: [Google]
bendy.jpg
847 KB, 1789x1169
>>
>>934803
>>934703

That's because they assume you own a house as well.
>>
File: 111.png (3 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
111.png
3 MB, 2048x1152
even if you can afford a nice boat, the layout of the interior is not made for long term living
>>
>>945586
You can get ones with interiors that are made for long term living you know.
>>
Ferro-boats. What is the general concensus?
>>
>>945681
Here's a good thread that explains them in depth. I'd personally never buy one. I like fiberglass.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/ferro-cement-hulls-397.html
>>
>>921938

4 knots is probably what you can manage with good wind and engine power in something similar to the OP picture

Pure sail you would need very strong winds to get to 3.5 knots than then you start letting up on sail.
>>
>>945586

>not made for long term living

Most house wives these days are begging for cabinet hideaways for their cooking equipment.

I mean my wife after visiting america had started putting away the toaster, the kettle, the george formby grill, the fucking coffee machine. All just because she saw some other women do it and likes the look of a clear counter.

Every thing is such a task to get going when you wake up at 5:00 am I may as well fucking live on a damn boat. We use those bitches nearly every day and this is the first time in 28 years that I have ever had to go hunting for a toaster.

Even on my fucking boat the toaster stays out.
>>
>>945933
4 knots is a nice comfy speed. I have had my Mac 25 up to 8.3 knots on a beam reach. Its always a blast when you wash the windows.
>>
So if I want to be able to cruise at 10+ knots what's better, catamaran or trimaran? Thinking something in 30'+ range, live aboard-able.
>>
>>945957

Well shit. We were struggling to get a 32' day sailer passed 4 knots.

We had in one reef, 1/3 jib and if we weren't careful we heeled to 80degrees
>>
>>945975

If the waters in your area are generall smooth a cat will do fine.

In rougher waters you want a monohull.

In cats you tend to get thrown in all 4 directions when cutting waves but monohull a tend to get thrown from port to starboard much less .
>>
>>946000
Really just depends on the theoretical hull speed (based on width, length, weight), water and wind conditions, sail shape and trim, and a bunch of other factors. Damn, 80 degrees is near the oh shit point. Anything past 50 scares the living daylights outta me.
>>
>>945975
catamarans and trimarans only work well when they are light weight, that means NO BALLAST. A ballasted catamaran is slower than a monohull
>>
>>934703
"So like why are all your clothes, food, and belongings on this boat...you don't like love here do you?"
>>
>>946141

I know of all of that but this bitch wasn't moving.

>anything beyond 50 is scary

One of our crew forgot to pump their toilet. Whole boat reeked of piss for the next 2 hours before we got one the leeward side of the point and everything smoothes out

80 was the max though. Generally we were around 35 and when gusts came in we made use of everything.
>>
>>946184
They don't really need ballast though do they? The wide base and high flotation amas keep it from tipping over in any normal sailing conditions.

I know they have much less accommodation for length, but similar by displacement I suppose, and they can't carry as much, but those are sacrifices I'm willing to make to go fast.

Shallow draft is a plus too, since I'm on the Gulf coast and would like to cruise the caribbean and coastal central america.
>>
File: duh.jpg (341 KB, 1380x1011) Image search: [Google]
duh.jpg
341 KB, 1380x1011
>>946228
>80 was the max
180!, well notme,, but race mates!
,, Parafoilsails,,, make the lift work FOR you., lowering the attach point on the gunwall makes forany lean desired., and its lifting weight off the ship, not pushing it deeper in the water.,, sail not limitd by mast size., bosnseat getsa ,REEL, view!
>>
File: equal.jpg (317 KB, 1207x920) Image search: [Google]
equal.jpg
317 KB, 1207x920
the most efffffffffishant,, a wing carrying the weight,, a fin to powerup.
,, hulls,,, so lastyear.
>>
>>946351

>wind drops
>enjoy pulling that tangled mess out of the water
>>
File: assemble.jpg (724 KB, 2269x938) Image search: [Google]
assemble.jpg
724 KB, 2269x938
>>946359
Newport>Ensenada Race!,
,24feets wood cat,, Bob(realname) unclips Jib, in bid to change up to genny,, Jib is stilloaded and yanks Bob over the edge!
, Bob HANGSON!, jib has a nice full arch as weget ahold of him and start puling in.,
,,, BIGASS fancy boat nexto us LAFFFFFING!,,,
,,,, Pop turns, looksathem> LOUD BOOMING VOICE>>" ARE YOUUUUUU RACEING???!"
,bigass boat realizes we are still, passing,, them.
>>
>>946370
haha nice mono hullers BTFO
>>
>>945913
Thanks
>>
>>946344
Yes, cruising catamarans need ballast, normal light weight catamarans can easily tip and turn on its side. A capsized catamaran can kill people, there is no way anyone could sell an unballasted catamaran for cruising.
>>
The Maxi Yacht Rolex Cup, the best yacht race in the world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwbtDbKmtZo
watch this in hi-res and full screen, its gorgeous
>>
>>946344

You can easily cruise the Caribbean in a monohull.

The only advantage to shallow draft is when it comes to docking and beaching.

Otherwise if you run aground in a monohull you would have run aground in a catamaran 20 feet later.

Should be checking your charts and keeping an eye out anyway.

You would prefer the better sea motion of a monohull when you get to the lesser Antilles because it can get really rough between islands.
>>
File: stabgraph.gif (5 KB, 568x286) Image search: [Google]
stabgraph.gif
5 KB, 568x286
>>946560
Why does it need ballast when the point of ballast is stability and a multihull has stability provided by having a wide base?

Also it is my understanding that though multihulls are more or less impossible to recover from a capsize, they generally are positively buoyant and will happily float along turtled, whereas a monohull will simply sink to the bottom of the sea. And does it not require a hell of a lot more force to capsize a multihull over a monohull in the first place?
>>
>>946773
if youve ever seen anyone sail a light weight catamaran you will see them heel to where the windward hull is completely out of the water and its balancing on one hull. Its no big problem to right a small hobbie cat that has fallen on its side but a large catamaran can be damaged which is why only well trained professional race large catamarans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKUwK4NOUs8
>>
>>939422
>Wow, this water is so clean I think I'll spray it all over the ground...

5/5 farewell sweet sides
>>
>>939422
>like father like son
>>
File: eb.jpg (43 KB, 630x400) Image search: [Google]
eb.jpg
43 KB, 630x400
Largest sailing yacht in the world just launched. The yacht "A" is 468ft long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCZrpIGF7RU
>>
>>947052
I love how nagging bitches stand up for other nagging bitches on the internet
>>
>>948392
Why are these super yachts always so fucking hideous?
That thing probably does't even sail for shit.
>>
File: gulf.jpg (208 KB, 1209x494) Image search: [Google]
gulf.jpg
208 KB, 1209x494
Have literally zero experience sailing large boats, but I sailed dinghies my whole life. How long would it take for me to gain enough knowledge to be able to sail the gulf of the st lawrence with another man relatively experienced sailor with me? Never sailed the open ocean
>>
>>948392

Good lord. It's perfectly hideous...
>>
File: wally esense.jpg (261 KB, 1500x1100) Image search: [Google]
wally esense.jpg
261 KB, 1500x1100
>>948590

They're not ALL terrible.
>>
>>948600

How long doing what?
Getting professional guidance and instruction while on a large sailboat in the gulf you want to sail, several days out of each week? A couple of years.

Could always half-ass it though. What's the worst that could happen?
>>
File: superyacht-esense-6972.jpg (56 KB, 585x340) Image search: [Google]
superyacht-esense-6972.jpg
56 KB, 585x340
>>948655
I love the all-white mental hospital interior of Esense
>>
>>948663

Pretty sure if you can afford the thing, you can afford to have the interior finished however you want.

I imagine they went with Ikea Showroom because it photographs well.
>>
>>948662
isnt there some kind of captain certificate you can get? like what professional boat captains of private yachts have?
>>
>>939258

Getting married to anything other than the ocean
>>
>>948666
aint that easy Satan, you have to have couple hundred hours of logged water time before you can even apply for being a Captian.
>>
>>932358
That's some Interstellar shit.
Check this one out too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGzOfXITytg
>>
>>948415
>everyone you dont like is a nagging bitch
Why don't you just not get married, not interact with nagging bitches, and just set sail with just you and yourself?
>>
>>941104
I've been thinking about getting a boat as a liveaboard at some time after I graduate assuming I line up a half decent job and one which is rotation work if it's inland. My cousin is doing that down at one of the snobbier clubs in my area so it seems like something which isn't too frowned upon. If I end up working rotation i reckon it could be pretty cosy, and I'd love to end up with a yacht at some point, I've really been bitten by the bug like Toad.
>>
bumping the less cripplingly autistic sailing thread
>>
>>921482
moxie marlinspike offers imho some useful insights on sailing.
thoughtcrime.org
>>
So I went down to a Marina on Saturday that had listed 4 sailboats for very cheap. I wanted to look at a hunter 25 they had listed for 750 bucks but they were all sold by the time I got there. I think what I may do is take some lessons this summer, maybe even join the sail club. Then next year after doing some saving I can buy something for 5-7 grand that's in good shape. I'm taking a trip to the outer banks this summer so I might rent a sail boat out there. The wind always blows at the outer banks so I imagine it's a great spot for sailing.
>>
Anyone else done the ASA 101-106 courses?
>>
Bump for Sailors!
>>
File: 20160514_121614.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160514_121614.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Mine! Livin aboard.
E27
>>
>>956479
It's like a basement neet living on the water
>>
>>956479
Nice choice, been looking at a cheap E32 myself.
>>
File: jungle.jpg (569 KB, 1226x863) Image search: [Google]
jungle.jpg
569 KB, 1226x863
>>956479
>>
>>932358
>The South Georgia boat party could expect to meet hurricane-force winds and waves—the notorious Cape Horn Rollers—measuring from trough to crest as much as 60 feet (18 m).[15] Shackleton therefore selected the heaviest and strongest of the three boats, the 22.5-foot (6.9 m) long James Caird.[16]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyage_of_the_James_Caird
>>
File: James_Caird_bow.jpg (522 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
James_Caird_bow.jpg
522 KB, 2048x1536
>>958662
>>
File: sailboat-on-the-columbia-river.jpg (32 KB, 457x366) Image search: [Google]
sailboat-on-the-columbia-river.jpg
32 KB, 457x366
Has anyone ever taken any long excursions?

How did it go and where were you?
>>
Going to be living on a sailboat for the summer, what do?
>>
>>962467
Sell 90% of your shit. Only bring on three outfits and some shorts. Find a place to do laundry. Find a place to get free ice. Dont buy a shitty boat. Check your docklines daily. Take your boat out at least twice a week.
>>
>>962719
Well, I have two duffel bags and a backpack of which is all my stuff and the boat is good. I'll be cleaning it up, painting the bottom, and other maintenance before it goes in the water. I can get ice and know where a laundromat is. Checking docklines and taking it out regularly I can do as well.
>>
>>921482
Lots of talk about ocean sailing but what about lake sailing? I've been thinking about buying a sailboat something in the 20' to 25' range something like this (http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/boa/5573595478.html) but have a few questions. It doesn't seem like there are any licenses, is sailing a small vessel like this something I could figure out myself or are "sailing" classes a must? When buying an inexpensive boat >4000 is it worth it to hire an inspector? I looked at prices and they seemed to be in the $400 range, maybe I just landed on an overpriced inspector but idk $400 for an inspection on a >4000 boat seems kinda iffy. Thanks for any replies.
>>
This chick has lived on a boat in London for 10 years. Her boat was 50 grand though.
Some interesting info on the hipster influx into city boats as rents go sky high.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/29/ten-years-living-on-a-boat-its-a-fun-life-im-not-a-watery-hobo
>>
>>962719
>Take your boat out at least twice a week.

I've known liveaboards that almost never took out their boats. Is this just to run the engine or does it just defeat the purpose of having a boat if you don't take it out and that's why you're saying this?
>>
Moar? I'm enjoying this thread immensely
>>
>>921482
>>963139

These are all really good questions.

Also, I'm on a river, anything I should remember when purchasing a sailboat as opposed to ocean or lake sailing? I'm trying to stay away from cutters because it seems like they'd be likely to run aground in a river, even a small craft in a larger river.
>>
Thinking about getting into sailing. Me and the gf are going to take sailing classes this summer then hopefully I'll get a boat next year.

About how cheap can I get a 22'-30' seaworthy sailboat? I don't mind doing minor repairs, but I'd like to avoid boats with major problems.

If it matters, I live in Chicago and the boats here are almost always exclusively freshwater. So in theory, they should be in better snap than ocean boats.
>>
>>966371
>If it matters, I live in Chicago and the boats here are almost always exclusively freshwater.
there is no such thing as a fresh water boat

Wisconsin is a major sailboat manufacturing hub, go up there
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 511x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 511x480
Would "Implication" be a good boat name?
>>
>>966672
I think "The Implication" would work better
>>
thinking about selling car and buy a boat and live in it, problem is that I'm gonna go study soon so I won't have the money for marinas
>>
File: boatfu.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2226) Image search: [Google]
boatfu.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2226
>all these bermuda rigs

Best rigging coming through
>>
>>967609

It's beautiful.
Like the terrible bikes that design students habitually create: form without function, only different for the sake of being different.
>>
>>967621
Gaff rigs can fly more sail though
>>
File: tumblr_m5o5hpeG5H1qke845o1_1280.jpg (222 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m5o5hpeG5H1qke845o1_1280.jpg
222 KB, 1280x853
>>967625

Look at all the fucks anyone gives.
>>
>>948665
you clearly have never been to ikea
>>
>>966672

I from the west indies have the firm belief that a boat name has to be something obviously vulgar, funny or in good spirit of a party unless it is a commercial/industrial craft

>add water
>not a drug boat
>red panty
>baccanal

And other shit someone pondered on while sitting at the boatyard bar after working on the boat with a couple rums in their head

You can tell an american or English boat on the immigration files before you even see the country of origin

>dream of the sea
>salt life
>whisper in the wind
>marinda xxvi

And other shit someone pondered of for years while sitting in a cubicle drunk on sadness
>>
>>966700

>I stood there watching the "the implication"
>>
>>958662

and that ballsy ass fucker got to some tiny spec of shit by dead fucking reckoning. davey jones keep all their souls thats some crazy shit.
>>
>>967625
>Gaff rigs can fly more sail though
modern sailboats are squaring off the tops of the sails to achieve the same result
Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 63

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.