[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What could be the cause of my rear wheel not spinning freely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
What could be the cause of my rear wheel not spinning freely it sticks and doesn't go 1 full revolution
>>
-brakes rubbing
-wheel not centered in frame

i circled on your pic where it looks like the wheel is rubbing against the frame?

does it take a lot of effort to spin the whole way around or is it only in certain parts?

post more pics
>>
File: rub a dub dub.png (710 KB, 749x426) Image search: [Google]
rub a dub dub.png
710 KB, 749x426
>>915279
fuck, forgot pic
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
No rubbing on either side
>>
>>915275
Freehub fucked or bearings fucked.

Does it have the smallest amount of sideways movement?
>>
chain might be too tight, but first check freewheel/freehub mech
>>
>>915286
huh. it's kind of hard to diagnose from pictures, but in my experience it's usually brake pads rubbing or a wheel not being centered in the frame

>>915289
either of these is also a likely contender, if there's nothing rubbing on the outside, the problem on the internals
>>
>>915291
Rear hub or bb?
>>
>>915291

There are no brakes on the rear of this bike
>>
>>915296

bb issues would still allow it to freewh
>>
What's a way I could send a video of it (iPhone)
>>
Loosen the rear wheel and slide the chain off the rear mech. Does it spin freely? If so your chain is too tight. If it still only goes 1 rev before stopping, you have a problem in the hub. If both are fine spin the pedals to check the BB.
>>
>>915301
Upload as a webm?

Its freehub or bearings, its the only 2 moving parts you have on the rear of bike that could cause the issue.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Chain is loose. Tightened down rear axle nuts down and still goes less that one spin
>>
>>915308
crack open that rear hub, friend
>>
>>915308
Grab the back wheel and move side to side, any movement? Am talking a bawhair of movement?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Just went for a ride and now my rear hub squeaks like a motherfucker and still sticks. Would it be better to take apart and clean or replace a part/whole wheel
>>
>>915347
Squeaky hub might just need to be cleaned/regreased. I would try that and if you're still having issues afterwards, you'll probably need to just get the hub replaced
>>
most likely loosened cone situation resulted in gunk and grit entering the hub and fudging up the bearings.
>>
>>915347
did you bend an axle somehow?... spin your rear wheel slowly and use a pencil to mark it when you feel it resist. Then take it all apart.
>>
>>915452
i bet this is it
>>
>>915347
Bikefag reporting in.
Take the wheel out, and spin the axel. It could be bent, or it could be an over tightened rear hub.
Make sure the tire doesn't rub and your chain is tight.
>>
>>915452
>>915715
>>915722
Thirding the bent axle thing.

Had this happen to me once and it sounds exactly the same as OP's case.
>>
>>915275
bugger
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.