[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should Cyclists Give Way?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: cyclists-dismount-or-give-way.jpg (25 KB, 400x247) Image search: [Google]
cyclists-dismount-or-give-way.jpg
25 KB, 400x247
https://youtu.be/RP0UUiwj028

GCNs latest show gives the impression that cyclists should get out of cager's way. Apparently we are second class citizens that should get off the road if there are cars behind us.
Opinions?

I think it will just make cagers even more self entitled!
>>
It's a non-issue, the law in question still specifies that bikes should move over when it's safe to do so, which is exactly what people should already be doing whether it's specified by law or not.

It doesn't matter whether you're operating a bike, car, horse, or combine harvester - everyone needs to share the road and be as courteous as possible to other users, period.
>>
>>912004
If they are courteous enough to drive 5 vehicles in a single file patiently waiting for me, I think they deserve the reciprocation. I already do it out of habit if it's not too inconvenient for me. People see cars and bike as "us vs them", but I prefer the "live together in harmony" idea.
>>
>slow moving motor vehicles have to pull over
>this is fine
>extend it to slow moving non-motor vehicles
>DAMN CAGERS
>>
>>912007
>>912008
This.
Moving over to the right (or left) out of the way of faster moving and larger vehicles should be the default thing to do. I'm not going to take up the whole road and make a line of cars slow down below the speed limit if I'm capable of safely getting out if the way.
>>
>>912004
stop being a passive agressive twat and just move over nd let people get on with their day.
>>
>>912004
>bait
>>
>>912004
> second class citizens
at best
>>
I get over when it's safe to do so if there's clear road ahead, if there's a lime of gridlocked cars or a red light up the road what's the point? The exception to that is when I'm cresting a hill or about to do so, if I know the descent has lots of corners, chances are I'll descend faster.
>>
>>913272
*line.. and I've had cars end up in the ditch trying to keep up with me on descents... luckily never off the steep side, always into the side of the mountain.
>>
>>913272
If the road is clear, what advantage does moving over confer on the motorist?
>>
>>912004
I only see 'cyclists dismount' signs when the cycle lane leads to a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights, presumably to stop twats from flying out getting run over and then the driver gets in trouble.
>>
>>912004
Cycled 52km yesterday had millions of cars overtake, I to the left of the centre of the lane, I'm not riding in the gutter where all the fucking potholes were, cars overtook. Even when I had to cycle right in the centre due to potholes they overtook.

Actually cars overtook at a lot of stupid places, a car would be coming and some twat behind me would floor it just to overtake me and narrowly miss the car, or a car would overtake me on a roundabout.

I can't exactly get out of a car's way, I don't know what sort of situation you would do that in, but I'm not going to take a chance an get run over just because 'muh cagers'. Quite a lot of drivers were nice and let me go actually, and I waved one past so he didn't get stuck behind me.
>>
>>913272
Yeah where I live it's basically a block of stopped cages followed by a block of empty road. Sometimes I have to wait behind someone trying to get a parking space. Sometimes the same person holds up a bunch of cagers. A lot of streets are full of obstacles like construction sites and dumpsters and delivery trucks. What's funny is when I'm approaching a red light on one of the empty blocks and a cage that just came out of a parking garage gets behind me and starts road raging, like they're mad I'm making them not race at full speed to the red light. Cagers are fucking stupid and when comrade Sanders gets elected I look forward to many new coral reefs being made.
>>
>>913295

It allows them to give the 3 feet required by law when passing. It shows that I intend them to pass. I'll wave them on if they don't get the que. Then a second wave if they still don't. then I'll shrug and take the lane again. Sometimes cagers will just be enjoying the view of my juicy ass and not want to give up their first row seat, or they'll be turning soon and have no reason to make a pass.
>>
>>913402
Que? If the road is clear, why would they be unable to pass you legally without you abdicating primary position? Also,
>beckoning to other traffic
>>
>>913499

Queue.

The majority of internal combustion vehicles where I live (Merica) are too big for the infrastructure.

Yes, I signal to other road users. Even though they probably wont see me because they are too busy looking at the cell phone in their lap.
>>
>>913619
>Implying beckoning is signalling
Please review your Highway Code/Rules of the Road.
>>
>>913638
>>
>>913672
>Implying the Merriam-Webster Dicitionary is enforced as the Highway Code/Rules of the Road anywhere
Go ahead and show me the mandated 'please overtake' signal in your jurisdiction.
>>
>>913619
>Queue
It's actually "cue" in this case.

Queue means line.
>>
>>913350
>Cagers overtaking on a roundabout

This is exactly why I go through them dead in the middle of the lane, so they can't do stupid shit like that.

On a double lane roundabout I stick to the left of course because there's actually room for overtaking, but I don't trust drivers not to run me over on a single lane roundabout.
>>
>>913402
Do you not have bike lanes in your metropolitan area? The only areas we don't have them are out towards the country, where people share the road with no issues
>>
File: throughbikelanes_3d-575x302.jpg (48 KB, 575x302) Image search: [Google]
throughbikelanes_3d-575x302.jpg
48 KB, 575x302
>>913706
Not him, but even in the best cases the bike lane usually ends just before intersections for god knows what reason.

It makes this weird situation where you either need to be a prick and cut in front of everybody or just sorta hope they don't decide to "be nice" and stop for you (the people in the other lane AREN'T stopping for you, so it's completely in vain).

How hard is it to extend the bike lane just a little farther like in pic related? What do you lose by not doing this?
>>
>>913706

On about 15%(my estimate) of our roads, certainly not everywhere I need to go.

>>913677

You are correct, I fucked that up, twice!!

>>913676

> I'm effectively illiterate, have a conversation with me.

No.
>>
>>913402
Pics of your juicy ass, or it didn't happen.
>>
>>912004
>>913350

>Our rights as bicyclist negate the need for basic self preservation
Good luck with that guys
>>
feels good living in a country where cyclists always have right of way
>>
Nothing passes me unless they want to use the other lane. If they want to tailgate me for daring to not kill the planet I'll just slow down and weave. If they pass to close to 'punish' me, I punch their mirror off.
>>
>>916947
>Inviting cagers to pass closely is conducive to self-preservation
Keep your cruiser on the footpath
>>
>>912007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb63PdPweDc
>>
>>912015
xc
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.