[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you think a magic foam hat will protect you if you get hit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 22
File: helmet.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
helmet.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
If you think a magic foam hat will protect you if you get hit by a car, you are an idiot. There is literally no reason to wear a helmet. A helmet just acts as something to get snagged if you crash and will probably just get you more injured. And if you crash for any reason other than getting hit by a car you obviously don't know how to ride a bicycle and should use training wheels instead of a helmet.

Prove to me that there is any legitimate reason to wear a magic foam hat.

Protip: You can't.
>>
>>
>>904437
It's magic.

You lose.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: 1434383049028.jpg (104 KB, 739x753) Image search: [Google]
1434383049028.jpg
104 KB, 739x753
>>
File: 1415830621417.jpg (129 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1415830621417.jpg
129 KB, 640x480
>>
>>904444
>quads
>pretty girl not wearing a helmet
Helmets confirmed for stupid magic hats.
>>
>>904437
>gonna hit cager head first with 400 J energy
>magic foam hat absorbs 400 J to deform it's shape and break foams molecular connections
>?????
>Profit

Prove me wrong.
Protip: You can't
>>
>>904460
The helmet will just make your head twist more and the explosive force of the helmet breaking will actually cause more trauma to your brain, not even trolling, look it up, the science is real
>>
>>904437

It protects your head if you hit it on the pavement you absolute dumbarse
>>
>>904632
And gets hooked up the curb and will brake your neck
And what kind of ignorant child hits their head on the pavement anyway?
>>
>>904635
how do you brake a neck? do you use koolstops?
>>
>>904672
By hitting your stupid foam hat on a curb obviously, are you stupid?
>>
File: yes.png (270 KB, 401x580) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
270 KB, 401x580
Granted it isn't a bicycle situation... I wear a helmet every time I snowboard, and I am extremely glad I do every time I happen to fall in just the right way where the back of my head hits the ice.

But I never wear a helmet on a bicycle lol
>>
>>904687
>But I never wear a helmet on a bicycle lol
because you never ride a bike lol
>>
>>904437
>Prove to me that there is any legitimate reason to wear a magic foam hat.

It will protect my smegma ridden head from getting sucked by OP
you
massive

FAGGOT
A
G
G
O
T
>>
>>904694
Hey I wish I lived in the mountains, but unfortunately every once and a while (like most of the year) bike riding is the thing I gotta do.
>>
>>904683
how exactly do you brake it?
>>
>>904701
Hit helmet on curb and get it snapped
>>
>>904437
I've broken 2 helmets in 2015. I was able to ride the next day in both cases. I doubt I would've without it. Helmets keep me on the bike. inb4 annecdotal
>>
File: best of oc route.png (365 KB, 951x518) Image search: [Google]
best of oc route.png
365 KB, 951x518
Every time I get hit it is a typical "Right hook" (USA) Normally i just let my body sort of flop against the car and just turn with them. It's nice to have the helmet for minor impacts like this. Obviously If I get hit by a car running a red light going 75 I'll hopefully die with or wiithout a helmet.
>>
>>904705
are you talking about snapping your neck or to brake your neck? polar opposites.
>>
If you get hooked by a car, or a car clips you, or a car bumps you from behind (which are the most common types of collisions with cars) you crash. It's not the car hitting you that kills you. It's the tumble because they caused you to crash.
>>
>>904712
>I doubt I would've without it.
Yeah because if you didn't have your magic foam hat that injured you, you would have been uninjured in the crashes and ended up riding longer that day instead of going home to rest your injuries so you'd be too tired the next day
>>904713
How many times were you hit?
>>904715
Talking about the curb catching the magic hat braking the neck
>>904716
Then the explosive force of the foam hat exploding will cause damage to your head. Idiot.
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 1280x720
>>904437
I'm gonna prove to you why you don't need a helmet ;)

If you don't know how to fall off a bike without hitting your head, you shouldn't be biking.

The big melon helmet will snap your neck if you try to roll instead of splattering like and idiot on the ground.

Bicycle helmets are only rated for a drop of like 5 feet. Which is good for a little kid learning to ride a bike, but not useful for anything else.

A helmet warms up your head too much, impeding your ability to think clearly. Which results in an accident.
>>
>>904724
>Then the explosive force of the foam hat exploding will cause damage to your head. Idiot.
I'm all for wearing no helmet, but that's not true. They split in several pieces.

To add to my previous comment. It is better to wear padded gloves and light knee + elbow protection against abrasion. Or if you're riding dangerously, just abrasion resistant glovrs are fine.The skeleton is tough, and with protection, you can slide around safely, and protect your face from hitting the ground.
>>
Sure, OP.
And vaccines cause autism, too, right?
>>
File: 8tip.gif (27 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
8tip.gif
27 KB, 500x500
>Helmet-all-the-time superstitionists
Creationist-tier Christian fundamentalists

>Helmet-some-of-the-time sceptics
Atheism-weak sceptics

>Helmets-never radicalists
Atheism-strong fedora tippers
>>
>>904437
>get hit by a car
>fly off your bike land and smash your head on the road

I'd rather have something on my head desu.
>>
File: 1412596498741.jpg (7 KB, 212x259) Image search: [Google]
1412596498741.jpg
7 KB, 212x259
>>904736
>>
>>904724
Post pics of your helmet, family.
>>
>>904713
>Every time I get hit it is a typical "Right hook

Car turning right across you?

In which case why aren't you hanging back behind the car and letting them turn before you?
>>
>>904763
not him but because they don't have right of way?

If they start signalling soon enough and I'm able I usually duck around to the left to let them turn, but if not, fuck them that's my green light
>>
>>904764
So you'd let them run you over because they don't have the right of way?
>>
>>904765
I approach the situation cautiously if I'm not sure they're going to yield properly. It's led to me giving a couple passenger doors a boot for sure but it's never got me hit.
This way the cager learns.
>>
>>904769
There are many cagers and most of them are bad drivers, they will never learn.

Motorcyclists ride like they're invisible and that every car is out to get hem, why don't cyclists?
>>
>>904752
Guess you should wear one when crossing the road then.
>>
>>904771
Pedestrians don't put their lives at risk just because they have the right of way.
>>
>>904752
>biking with my $200 Shimano ultra light-weight race helmet
>get hit by car
>fly 20 feet in the air
>head first in to the ground
>helmet grind for 200 points, distance of 10 feet
>shoe falls off and I die
>good thing I wore a helmet
>>
>>904779
I don't really care about you mate I said that I would rather wear a helmet.
>>
>>904781
desu
>>
>>904770
Because that would be giving in to terrorism
>>
I dunno man, I've pretty much never had a serious fall until recently. I wiped out after hitting a patch of mud. I had a helmet on and slapped my head against the ground pretty hard. I genuinely think that if I hadn't been wearing the helmet, I would have had a pretty serious injury. After hitting my head, I was already dizzy and starting to black out. Without the helmet, who knows.
>>
>>904713
this is why i started wearing a helmet. i've been hit like this 3 times now, and it's always a driver that's not signaling a last minute right turn. (i live in california)
>>
>>904455
Nice dubs
>>
>>904807
>>
>>904628
I don't have to. I'm trained physicist and I know what I am talking about.
>>
>>904806
>this is why i started wearing a helmet. i've been hit like this 3 times now,
So you're ok with being hit like that again, now that you're wearing a helmet?
>>
File: jjjlol4.jpg (34 KB, 798x534) Image search: [Google]
jjjlol4.jpg
34 KB, 798x534
>>904736
>A helmet warms up your head too much, impeding your ability to think clearly. Which results in an accident.
>>
>>904806
>california
Gtfo of there, drivers there are crazy murderers.
>>
>>904742
Trying to be safe from death cages is like trying to stay safe from autism kiddo
>>
File: seriouslywhy.jpg (75 KB, 335x334) Image search: [Google]
seriouslywhy.jpg
75 KB, 335x334
Fuck off.
>>
>>904437
You must live in some shitty city where the greatest concern you have is the occasional pothole in your carefully highlighted bike lane.

Here's the list of animals that have run out in front of me where I life:
>Dog
>Cat
>Deer
>Skunks
>9 year olds
>A fucking porcupine
>Raccoon
>Ducks (plus ducklings)
>Geese (A shit ton)
>A fucking cow (bastard chased me too)
>Turkeys (They are big, and they travel fucking close)
>Fisher Cat
>Moose
>Quail (Plus there's normally a fuck ton of chicks running with them.)
>Grouse (They normally fly off...but not always)
>And of course, our friends, grey squirrels, chipmunks, and red squirrels.
And those are the animals that make a run for it. Some just sit there.

>Turtles
>Bullfrogs
>Skunks will sit there too

Let us not forget the road hazards that are not in your 2 mile San Fransico route you ass-wipe.

>Ice
>Snow
>Slush
>Pot holes (Big ones because shitty road crews that wait until there's enough you need to get a fucking petition to have them do their job for once.)
>DEEP puddles (plus potholes hiding in them)
>Black ice

What's more, shit happens. It's cold, dark, windy, and raining, You're biking home and guess what, There's a fucking muffler sitting on the shoulder because it dropped out of the back of some inbred negro's car, and you hit it. Maybe it's 5 AM, and it's well below freezing and you're riding along, and there's just enough frost take make you lose traction (it's too early in the year to put the chains on your tires) and your bike slides out from under you.

Telling people that helmets are pointless simply shows you don't actually bike anywhere. You could probably walk there in 10 minutes if you weren't a lazy fuck.

If you haven't castrated yourself yet, you should look into it. Risking passing on your genes when you're that retarded is irresponsible.
>>
>>904905
This x10000000

>>904763
I don't get how so many dumb people in this thread don't get how a right hook works..

Are they trolling?

It's normally some dumb soccer mom or beaner that just starts to overtake me and then right when they are halfway through overtaking me they turn right into a driveway or neighborhood. If they try to blame me I just snap off their mirror and escape on the sidewalk where cars can't follow.

Funny thing is, this used to happen all the time until I got a helmet cam. Now people never hit me. I guess they don't mind losing a mirror but fear a lawsuit. typical californians.
>>
>>906439
What kind of camera do you use? And is it really visible so that drivers react noticably differently around you?

Im seriously interested as I started commuting to work and got nearly right hooked. I live in Cali too.
>>
>>904437
Motorcycle helmets are extremely effective. But they are very heavy and too hot for cardio.

Bicycle helmets must be lighter and have more ventalation because of cardio. Because of this, the standards of safety must be lower than motorcycle helmets.

So no, bike helmets wont save you in every instance, such as a car crash going 70mph, but in accidents that are within their designed specs, they will help you. This is proven with physics. It's a conscious trade off.

As for the argument that helmets create more neck injuries, offsetting the safety of reduced head injuries - neck injuries are far less severe than head injuries. So it is net positive.
>>
>>906437
Absolutely destroyed.
/thread.
tired of reading this shitty op everyday
>>
>>904451
That's hot
>>
>>904635
Get a bmx faggot
>>
File: 1447877617381.png (66 KB, 205x205) Image search: [Google]
1447877617381.png
66 KB, 205x205
>>904437
I agree. I rode the whole year without a helmet, getting angry looks. When people ask why im not wearing a helmet I just tell them that my neurosurgeon dad told me it was actually counter-productive in case of crash.

Statistically, the helmet does not prevent or protect your head at all while riding speed over 15kmh. In fact, there are evidence a helmet causes a quick rotation movement to your neck if you fall which is very dangerous.
>>
>>906514
But where's the pun, Carlos? I think you have gotten ahead of yourself. I was all strapped in to see your shit pun because of your shit avatar, but alas I think you've fallen behind. I feel like you really foamed it in this time.
>>
>>906514
>Abusing SI prefixes and unit symbols
Read the Brochure of the SI at once.
>>
File: 41440059dbbii.jpg (34 KB, 500x351) Image search: [Google]
41440059dbbii.jpg
34 KB, 500x351
>>904437
>>
>>904437
OP why is it so hard to believe that a hat can protect you? This hat has been protecting the virginity of men for YEARS
>>
File: images (2).jpg (12 KB, 424x347) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
12 KB, 424x347
>>907370
>>
>>906583
Milhouse is not a meme
>>
>>906437
Fucking skunks. The skunks on the bay trails fear no man.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.