[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you were given 25 million dollars to fix Chicago's transit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
File: Villains.jpg (243 KB, 800x519) Image search: [Google]
Villains.jpg
243 KB, 800x519
If you were given 25 million dollars to fix Chicago's transit issues, what would you do? Does 25 million even fix anything?
>>
Put up anti-cage barriers in strategic locations such as freeway onramps, and paint a lot of bike lanes.
>>
It is to my understanding that one of the major issues is that the RTA is somehow powerful enough to kek the CTA, Metra and Pace out of getting anything accomplished on their own, but not powerful enough to force them to do anything.
>>
>>904047
25 million dollars probably won't even buy you a full El train set anymore.
That being said the RTA and other associated agencies could be reformed to be more autonomous so projects wouldn't constantly get staled by political NIMBYism.
>>
$25m in the context of a big city like Chicago is almost nothing if you put it into infrastructure or large projects. If you wanted to make an impact with that much money I'd think the best way would be to directly encourage individuals wanting to use transit more regularly - with 25m you could hold a raffle for city residents, and give the randomly selected winners (10% of the population) transit cards good for a full years' worth of transit fares. You'd generate an instant ridership boost and end up generating public support for transit across the board.
>>
>>904067
Typical. Use tax dollars to justify and sell shitty infrastructure to the public instead of using the money to improve it.

You say you want to help America but when the cards are on the line you fold the cards on hardworking everyday Americans dreams.

TypicalBigCityLiberal#
>>
>>904102
I'm almost certain you're trolling, but my answer to OP's question assumed that he was talking about 25m from some kind of private foundation or charity or advocacy group - not 25m of tax revenue. Not that you could practically do what I suggested with public funding anyhow...
>>
File: CQo79KbUwAI57Jr.jpg (17 KB, 599x326) Image search: [Google]
CQo79KbUwAI57Jr.jpg
17 KB, 599x326
>>904053
Painting bike lanes everywhere might work indeed. And while we are at it. Some fresh paint for train stations can not hurt.
>>
>>904047
>25 mil

Probably not even enough for pothole removal
>>
>>904102
Big city liberal here. If there was a magical button I could press to mass-wreck the lives of ignorant hicks, I'd press it until you were all addicted to oxycodone and underwater on your mortgage and beating your wife and $300k in diabeetus-related medical debts

Oh wait, didn't need a magical button for that lol
>>
Like other anons noted 25M is chump change when it comes to infra spending. The only way to make that 25M go as far as possible is probably bus and bike lanes, maybe expansion of divvy? Another idea is spending it on part time summer jobs to local high school students to do basic station restoration and renovations and using a small amount to expand security on buses and the slow zone elimination project.
>>
>>904200
Good luck finding high school students in Chicago

In all seriousness I do like the idea though, young punks need an excuse to get paid and not find their way into trouble. As an old fart though I would have serious doubts about teenage work ethics here though.
>>
>>904207
>Good luck finding high school students in Chicago
I'm sure there are a few thousand 16+ students in Chicago willing to do a little summer work for what will most likely be decent pay for unskilled part time work (thanks TWU). Work ethic prob won't be that much of a problem tons of kids working at big boxes on the south side, hell if a kid on the south-side made it to their sophomore or junior year in school without dropping out they are in the top 30% of students.
>>
>>904047
>If you were given 25 million dollars to fix Chicago's transit issues, what would you do? Does 25 million even fix anything?
First perhaps you should clarify: what is it we are trying to fix?
>>
>>904301
anything you think is a problem, any transit issue. Big or small
>>
>>904328
Not even enough dosh to get the Yellow Line to Lake-Cook Road, senpai.
>>
>>904149
lol they deleted my post just because I said we should nuke chicago because of its niggers.. this is 4chan ffs.
>>
File: 1u83jfh.png (38 KB, 275x414) Image search: [Google]
1u83jfh.png
38 KB, 275x414
>>904328
>anything you think is a problem, any transit issue. Big or small
How about nothing?
There is evidence that large governmental projects destroy civilizations; it's happened many times in the past, all over the world.

Consider places like the great pyramids, Angkor Wat, Machu Piccu, Petra, and most any other example of ancient architecture: even in circumstances where the populations had written languages, the precise history of the places is not known because usually they were soon abandoned by the very people who built them. These structures were commanded by governments of the time--even single people--but ultimately they (apparently) diverted productivity from ordinary people, who soon tired of supporting grandiose plans that really didn't benefit them.

When you see a city like this that has issues with "keeping everything running", it is because the majority of people didn't think that this shit was worth paying the taxes to keep everything running... and so many of the individual people took their productivity and went elsewhere. Meanwhile--if you look through the short list of oldest continuously inhabited cities of the older regions of the world (the middle east and the orient) most of them lack grand monuments that date from their ancient times.
Why is that?
Could it be that grandiose government spending destroys cities? Why has this phenomenon been repeated, throughout time, all over the world?
>>
>>904348
you know that 25 million is like maybe installing a few new ties on the L line... not like building the next civic structure of the world or world capital germania
>>
>>904348
the Roman Forum and the Athenian Agora would like to argue against you
>>
File: smug fatty.jpg (13 KB, 157x173) Image search: [Google]
smug fatty.jpg
13 KB, 157x173
>>904353
>Ancient Greek civilisation didn't collapse
>Ancient Roman civilisation didn't collapse
m8…
>>
File: 1399765849054.png (148 KB, 517x387) Image search: [Google]
1399765849054.png
148 KB, 517x387
>>904375
Rome didn't collapse in the west till the end of the 5th century. Even then it was kept up in bits in pieces by various barbarian successor states, and the Catholic Church. The east managed to hold on for another seven to ten centuries depending on how you define the end of the eastern empire.

Greeks just got steamrolled by bigger folks. They weren't even one people till modern nationalism got a hold of them.

Why am I replying to obvious shitposting?
>>
File: moving goalpost.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
moving goalpost.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
>>904396
>Rome didn't collapse in the west till the end of the 5th century.
I didn't say anything about when it collapsed.
>>
Fix this fucking abomination of a paint scheme.

>tfw the F40PH fleet will be receiving it too.
>>
>>904053
>>904093
>>904200
>>904141

I think these guys are right. Paint lines on roads for more bike and bus lanes is really the best you can do in any city.
>>
>>904047

$25 million gets you a mostly-completed study on what the problems are and what to do about them. shit, you'll spend more than that on graft and bribes and shit in this town.
>>
>>904473
this guy gets it
>>
>>904350
>>904351
>>904353
>>904417
>responding to blatant b8
>>
>>904176
I don't know what your intense hatred of poor rural whites has to do with anything. I'm actually a middle class suburban asian, but whatever.
>>
>>906376
>suburban
But that's what I said. Rural.
>>
>>904428
>Wah, big scary choochoo needs bright warning stripes painted on it.

yeah, I see what you mean.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.