[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Interested in an entry level bike ~$500 What do you guys think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 700x525
Interested in an entry level bike ~$500

What do you guys think of the Trek Marlin 5 29er?
>>
Edit: I'm mostly going to use it for smooth trails and some road.
>>
>>902495
OH WOW IT'S NOT LIKE THERE'S A FUCKING PERMATHREAD DEDICATED TO THE AGE-OLD QUESTION OF OBTAINING A BICYCLE THROUGH THE EXCHANGE OF CURRENCY.

Please reloc8 to /bbg/ >>898150 the friendly fellows there will be happy to help.
>>
If you want a mountain bike for $500, buy used. A new mountain bike that price is going to be pure shit. pinkbike.com/buysell is a good place to buy. Possibly Craigslist too, but pinkbike is generally better for mountain bikes (unless you want a really old mountain bike without suspension).
Post in >>>/n/bbg
>>
>>902497
Also, it sounds like you want a cross country bike. Probably a hardtail (front suspension, no rear suspension). Or possibly even a rigid (no suspension) bike, if you'll only be doing really mellow trails. Won't be as comfy as having front suspension though.
>>
>>902527
no. hybrid. smooth trails and road? lol at a XC bike
>>
>>902976
Are you OP? The bike you posted is not a hybrid. It is a low end mountain bike. If you want a hybrid, get an actual hybrid. Sirrus, Big Rove, Dew Plus, Muirwoods 29er, etc
>>
>>902495
Is alright, will certainly suit your purposes as mentioned here >>902497

It's a good frame apparently, so next year/season/whenever you can happily upgrade components and get even more life out of your bike. Currently, they'll all be at entry-level standard, as you'd expect. According to some bike magazine I read, the Marlin 7 is tippity-top best entry-level hardtail bike. The only difference is in components I think.

I have a Trek Marlin 6. It's good, but I treat it badly and as a result have problems with the drivetrain and hydraulic brakes. I should really do a better job of of cleaning and maintenance, I let my bike get way too muddy.
>>
>>903008
I also have a Marlin 6. I wish there were cooler colors, but I really enjoy it. It's comfy as fuck.
>>
>>903008
>the Marlin 7 ...
I read that, too; however, that article's price limit was just a few dollars below what the X-Caliber 6 cost. The X-Cal 6 was a better frame AND components all around for only a few dollars more, but Trek did away with it for the 2016 model year. It makes me sad because I honestly don't like the Marlin 7 compared to the X-Cal 6 for the price.
>>
>>903112
Agree. X-cal has a better frame. Similar like the superfly. I don't know but a think that x-cal is the old gary fisher genesis
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.