[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /n/, I have this old Raleigh Clubman that has been my trusty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_0670.jpg (250 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0670.jpg
250 KB, 1024x768
So /n/, I have this old Raleigh Clubman that has been my trusty steed for the last 5 years (pic not mine but same bike).

However there's problems with it. The brakes are pretty terrible by now - yes I should probably get new pads but I just generally vintage, non-dual-pivot brakes are a piece of shit. Also I'm pretty sure the quill stem is frozen (corroded) because it won't come out, and it's slightly out of alignment, which pisses me off.

Should I just sell this bike and get a new bike? What do you think? Especially regarding the brakes, are old brakes ever really "good" when they have new brake pads, or should I try and get a bike that will work with dual-pivot brakes?
>>
rim brakes are pretty much pointless these days
buy a new bike with discs and be done with it
I did and I think it's unbelievable what kind of shit I used to put up with
discs adjust themselves, all you really have to worry about is new pads every now and then, and if you crash you have to true the disc (easy peasy)
some guys sperg about noise and autistically cleaning the rotors, but IDGAF, I just want to stop
>>
>>901111

Hm, I wasn't thinking of a disc brake bike because that would be quite expensive... if I do get a new bike then I guess I could get something second hand, or I was thinking maybe splash out, get a cheap new road bike from Wiggle for £300 / £350 which would be perfectly serviceable.

Obviously I know disc brakes are way better but yeah. Unless I can find a good deal on a second hand road bike with disc brakes (seems unlikely since disc brakes are only just hitting mass market road bikes really) then probably a no-go.
>>
File: gran_compe_centerpull_1.jpg (67 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
gran_compe_centerpull_1.jpg
67 KB, 750x750
>>901108
I think a couple companies sell dual-pivots that will work with non-recessed nut mounting. Otherwise, look for a pair of 610 centerpulls from Dia-Compe or (vintage) Weinmann. Consult with LBS re. stuck quill.
>>
>>901126
Ah those brakes look very nice. Have you used them, and are they noticeably better than wienmann side pulls (which I have now)?
>>
>>901108
>applying anything is wrong with sidepull
>>
>>901128
k well first if you haven't put kool stop, let alone any new pads on those motherfuckers yet you got no business evaluating the quality of the brake, second, even if the issue wasn't the pads, it's probably not so much the technology, but the degree of wear on the springs and pieces of the caliper
>>
>>901111
>I am incapable of performing basic maintenance and want everybody to know it
>>
>>901108
Get new pads
Adjust cables
Test ride

If they still suck, you did something wrong.
>>
>>901108
give PB blaster a try for the stuck stem, I use it on rusted bolts all the time, you can usually see some of the rust pop off right while you spray but soak it a few times so it has some time to work in. Then if it frees up you can take all the rust off with a wire brush or steel wool. You can find pb blaster in Home Depots or something similar at a hardware store.
>>
>>901128
I don't have a bike currently that fits centerpulls; '90s C-dale with Shimano RX100s atm. Not sure which country you're in, but do a bit of poking around to see what you can find. I found that D-C photo on the Velo Orange website, fwiw. Your single-pulls are probably serviceable in the right hands, but dual pivots (side- or center-pull) are generally an upgrade.
>>
>>901111
>I just want to stop
>rim brakes are pointless
You know except for stopping.

You're a fucking faggot shill and talking about something you don't know anything about. The issue with disc road bikes is that you lose traction with the ground before you've use anything near the amount of stopping power you have. Like its relatively easy to lock up your wheel.

On MTB, you've got a wide tire for extra traction. In cyclocross, the course is muddy. On the road, there's little to no benefit unless you regularly do decrnts in the rain or have a carbon rim.
>>
>>901833
>On MTB, you've got a wide tire for extra traction. In cyclocross, the course is muddy. On the road, there's little to no benefit unless you regularly do decrnts in the rain or have a carbon rim.

I more or less agree with all this, I have locked up my rim breaks plenty of times but they are easier to setup to and feather than typical disc brakes.
>>
>>901833
>disc brakes are bad because you can lock a wheel
it's amazing what luddites will say to defend their bad, obsolete garbage

do you happen to work for campagnolo?
>>
>>901844
>having reading comprehension this fucking shitty
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.