[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is this /n/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_2399.jpg (811 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2399.jpg
811 KB, 1600x1200
What is this /n/?
>>
File: IMG_2400.jpg (837 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2400.jpg
837 KB, 1600x1200
>>
File: IMG_2401.jpg (966 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2401.jpg
966 KB, 1600x1200
this rim goes right around the slab the track is in, its isolated from the foundation
>>
File: IMG_2403.jpg (980 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2403.jpg
980 KB, 1600x1200
Its definitely hollow, jumping on it causes a loud reverberation to come out and the whole slab to vibrate
>>
Maybe an ash pit for steam locomotives?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
77 KB, 1280x720
>>900641
forgot to post a pic
>>
>>900642
Theres no access point for it like yours
>>
>>900634
I don't know for sure, but I guess one of two things.

(1) There used to be a locomotive or train car on display here, either as part of an open-air museum, or just some monument in a park.

(2) It looks like if could be a scale. Whatever factory or dock or railyard or whatever used to be here is long gone, but the scale was too difficult to remove, so they just left it there.
>>
Could be a bridge over sensitive pipes or other installations laying near the surface.
>>
>>900653
The Inner Circle Railway didn't have factories on it. Its old suburbs with most of the homes in the area dating to the mid/late 19th century are as old as the railway itself
Highlighted it on the map

The Upfield and South Morang railways that it is in between did operate originally for quarries and cattle

Why would a locomotive on display be on top of a hollow foundation?

There is one in a park near Reservoir btw
>>
>>900656
4chan wont let me post a google map link to the area to show its all suburban :(
>>
>>900653
http://www.fitzroyhistorysociety.org.au/images/file/FitzroyRailwayWalk.pdf

Welp its a weight bridge

/thread
>>
>>900634
low friction cycle path, ride on the steel beams for smoothness
>>
>>900694
theres only that and a few bits and pieces of rail left
>>
>>900634
>What is this /n/?
cat flap
no, it is a scale of course, for weighting goods on railway waggons.
>>
>>900656
Hey, fellow melbro. I heard that there used to be trains that went across suburbs instead of from the city outwards.
>>
>>901186
Yes, the Outer Circle Railway ran from Oakleigh on the Dandenong Line to Fairfield on the Hurstbridge line.
The Alamein line is the survivor of this.

The Inner Circle Line ran from Rushall on the South Morang line to Royal Park on the Upefield line

Outer Circle closed after only a few years. It was built on dodgy land speculation and the the freight that needed to be moved on it could be moved much simpler via the Flinders St-Spencer St viaduct once that was built - originally there was no link between the two so freight had to go all the way around to get to Spencer St to be moved to the docks or interstate!
>>
>>900634
A scale for weighing freight wagons probably
>>
>>900634
Maybe it's just an access point for underground utilities.
>>
>>901930
No, it really is a scale for rail cars.
>>
>>901972
That's what they want you to think. But really it's the door to Area 52.
>>
>>900634
It's a Kek Bunker.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.