[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gag/ General Aviation General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 75
File: migration.jpg (177 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
migration.jpg
177 KB, 720x480
I'm a low time, naive, starry eyed 19 yearold student pilot looking for some knowledge and experiences. Anyone have any interesting stories?
>>
>>899726
Hey, are you me?
>>899720
>>
File: treetwny.jpg (348 KB, 1911x660) Image search: [Google]
treetwny.jpg
348 KB, 1911x660
>>899728
>>
File: inout.jpg (308 KB, 1735x550) Image search: [Google]
inout.jpg
308 KB, 1735x550
>>
File: hydrad.jpg (354 KB, 1834x639) Image search: [Google]
hydrad.jpg
354 KB, 1834x639
>>
File: teal.jpg (811 KB, 2297x1397) Image search: [Google]
teal.jpg
811 KB, 2297x1397
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 900x715) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 900x715
What do y'all think about the searey?

Personally I think they look great and would be fun for hopping around the lake. Anyone fly one or atleast taxi it in the water?
>>
>>899726
I went inverted
>>
>>899800
I don't think anyone on this board has their seaplane rate
>>
Somebody crashed his brand new Bonanza into Clear Lake here in Orlando yesterday, killed himself and his daughter. It sounds like he programmed his autopilot incorrectly and couldn't disengage it because he was unfamiliar with the airplane. In the recording, you hear other pilots telling him to turn the master switch off. The audio is sickening.

http://www.liveatc.net/archive.php?m=kmco8
>click 20th
>click 1600z
>Skip to 19:00 minutes
>N7FG
>>
>>899807
let this be a lesson, know your airplane. know your systems, know your emergency procedures. this stuff can get you killed if you aren't sharp.
>>
>>899810
On that note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI4d5AeAi7g
>>
>>899814
Holy fuck. What was that guy thinking!
>>
>>>>899726 these are my 2ยข...

It's good that you recognize your inexperience, but don't let that inexperience become an excuse for performing maneuvers and procedures to a lower standard.

Listen to other pilot's hangar stories, but take what you hear with a grain of salt, pilots are liars, and some don't know what they're doing.

After you get your PPL, be concious of developing bad habits. Many people skip checklists, get sloppy on their flying, and don't flight plan adequately when left to their own devices. Keep it all sharp.

Last thing, after you get your ticket, fly for fun. Go to fly-ins, pancake breakfasts, and hundred dollar hamburgers.
>>
>>899818
He wasn't. The thing about him is he could afford a chopper, he's probably rich, and the thing about so many rich folks is they think they can do no wrong and go into things without a degree of humility.

While we're at it, let's talk about sucker-holes. Avoid them. Don't get into the Chain. If you don't have an aircraft capable of IFR, don't go into IFR. If the weather reports say it's bad weather, don't go up. I once heard it said that there are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.

>https://www.yahoo.com/travel/in-this-photo-provided-by-new-zealand-police-the-135521590.html

Those tourists could have rescheduled.
>>
File: 348s.jpg (27 KB, 348x348) Image search: [Google]
348s.jpg
27 KB, 348x348
>>899819
>Hundred dollar hamburgers

Best thing about small airports. Also the all-day breakfasts.
>>
>>899828
At my airport the FBO has a black walnut has a burger called the hundred dollar burger. It's literally 100$ but you get the burger with a 100 dollar gift card.
>>
>>899830
>A literal hundred dollar hamburger

There's no such thing as a meal worth $100, let alone a hamburger
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 750x1334
>>899836
O rely? Reading comprehension much
>>
>>899837
See, you're not writing it like that. The way I read it was you had to either spend $100 or get a $100 gift card, which costs $100 anyway, to get the burger.
>>
>>899838
If I did I apologize. Anyways Tia actually a good deal because it's like buying a 100$ gift card and getting a free burger
>>
>>899840
I'd do that if the restaurants hours were reasonable; the place I fly out of has a restaurant that operates breakfast and lunch only, and closes at noon on the weekends.
>>
>>899841
Ya they close at three if i remember so I try to fly in the morning so I can eat and watch the planes
>>
Also does anyone have any experience as a FBO lineman.
I'm seriously considering applying so I can get into the industry and start working with planes.
>>
Quick! What's the best place for hundred dollar hamburgers in New England?
>>
>>899803
No, but after financially recovering from my MECIR it's next on the list.

I was thinking of going to the US or Canada to do it, stuff all float or seaplanes here.
>>
>>900047
>MECIR

Australia?
>>
Did an aerobatic flight in a Super Decathlon today.

>ailerons are really light
>elevator is sensitive (but still works at low speeds)
>rudder seems weird because it's heavy but powerful

I got to do some rolls and spins. Then the instructor demonstrated part of a competition sequence and I was almost ready to puke everywhere. I really need to improve my motion sickness tolerance.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun. I'm going to try to get a tailwheel endorsement now.
>>
>>900157
How's that compare to, say, a rollercoaster?
>>
>>900161

Interesting you ask that because I was thinking about the same thing. The feeling of g force is very similar, especially free fall. On rollercoasters the positive gs are usually more abrupt; in the airplane you can make them last longer and the transitions felt smoother.

In terms of the overall experience it's not very comparable, because in the airplane the g forces are a stimulus and your mind is more occupied with control inputs.

But after a few flights of aerobatics I don't think you will have much physiological response to a roller coaster ride. Everything will probably seem very predictable, and the sudden direction changes will be a novelty, like jump scares in horror movies.
>>
>>900157
I did a full upset recovery training course a few weeks back in an Xtreme Decathlon, shit was pretty fun.

Took a couple flights to get over 'stomach awareness.'
>>
>>900199
This is why you wait until after your flight to visit the FBO burger place
>>
>>899800
Better than the Icon for half the price (not my opinion, just what I've been told by someone who's flown both and owns neither).
>>
File: 1438133333461.gif (264 KB, 348x750) Image search: [Google]
1438133333461.gif
264 KB, 348x750
>made 2nd solo flight today, completely alone this time
>starting the plane went fine, AWOS sounded promising with variable winds
>take off full of confidence
>get my ass kicked by crazy winds, gusts smacking me from the side
>get distracted by the gusts, make an abysmal approach as a result
>ended up making it way too tight, had to resist the urge to overbank in the base-to-final leg and accidentally kill myself
>finally snapped out of it on short final, made a great (unplanned) crosswind landing
>sheepishly muttered "uhh... this will be a full stop" as I rolled out
>listen to the AWOS one last time
>realize they put out a report of 18-knot gusts as soon as I took off

All in all, I was deeply embarrassed by my loss of focus and mediocre performance. At least my landing was a plus, and I'm pretty proud I got myself through it. But in the end, I guess this was a good experience to have.
>>
>>900498
Everyone gets caught out in unfavorable conditions eventually, and every landing that ends with both you and the aircraft intact is a successful one
>>
>>900199
XTREMES are a blast! I can do primary. Maybe sportsman next year.
>>
>>900498
That's on your instructor for letting you solo in weather you aren't ready for...
>>
>>900157
Don't try to fight the G forces...you won't win! Lol I tried my first few aerobatic lessons and it wipes you out.
I finally learned to relax, trust your harness, and go with it.
Do short routines of 5 or 10 minutes then relax until you calm down, then try a few more. You're tolerance will build eventually...
>>
>>900526
Not exactly. We had flown through choppy winds often, he didn't know the weather would change like that. It was entirely clear-air turbulence.

I just lost my composure is all.
>>
>>900546
Clear air turbulence is not...
>a report for gusts of 18kts.
>>
>>900498
its nice that your landing went well, but why didn't you just go around if it wasn't a stabilized approach?
>>
>>900585

This. Don't try to salvage a bad approach. Better to go around and blow an extra $30 than to become an example of lethal pilot error.
>>
>>900585
>>900619
I feel this video is relevant to you two.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6q2VKsvQEQ
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
anyone want to see some pics from the air show?
>>
>>900700
The answer is always yes, assuming you fucking rotate the pics so they're upright, goddamn
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>900701
Sorry I'm on a iPhone so
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>
>>900713
You did it again

Just wait until you're at home to post the rest
>>
>>900625
I've seen the video, and I agree with the premise that short, steep, and makeshift approaches are good, and need to be practiced, but it doesn't sound like this was a short approach because that's what he was practicing, it sounds like it was a short approach because of a misjudged turn. Low time students (or anyone) shouldn't be trying to wrestle an airplane to the ground without a plan. I'm not saying the avweb video is wrong, I'm just saying it doesn't apply here.
>>
>>900625
This is why I prefer helicopters
>>
>>900728
Slow, expensive, thirsty, high maintenance...
yes I want one
>>
>>900730
They're like women in that way
>>
Might be off topic a bit, but I remember reading the funniest review of a Swearingen Metroliner not too long ago online.
Now, I can't find it. Does anyone know where it is?

It had a whole bunch of crude comparisons and matter-of-fact statements that had me howling from laughter.
>>
>>900808
I found a review, but it wasn't particularly funny and was written from the perspective of a passenger
>>
>>900808
Well, it's from the perspective of an "industrial professional/enthusiast", but he didn't actually get his hands on the controls

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2013/10/day-of-the-turbine-part-3-the-fairchild-metroliner-23/
>>
>>900813
>>900814
Neither of those are it, but thanks anyway. Figures it probably got removed for whatever reason.

Basically, it was slandering the aircraft for everything it was. Saying a midget designed the cockpit, talking shit on the high landing gear, etc.
>>
>>900625

>be ex glider pilot
>be high on every approach
>sideslip every base to final turn
>slips with flaps!
>s-turns to bleed energy
>couple of snap rolls because I'm still high
>cobra just before touchdown
>right over the numbers

just kidding, this one time I used forty degrees of flaps though
>>
>>900815
Isn't it just a low-wing Dash 8?
>>
>>900082
Yep
>>
Does anyone know where I can download practice materials for the instrument rating airplane written? Right now I'm using webexams, which is okay, but there are no explanations for the answers and some of the images really suck. I searched various torrent sites for Gleim, Sheppard Air, etc. but didn't find anything.
>>
Anyone have a link to the PTS for PPL? Thanks
>>
>>900951
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pilot+testing+standards+for+private+pilot+license+
>>
>>900950
Pay for it, stop being a nigger
>>
File: underarm.jpg (298 KB, 1076x751) Image search: [Google]
underarm.jpg
298 KB, 1076x751
OP,,, checklist., everytime.
,,arrived at FUL/lertan airporto see runway fence blasted, and block wall across street smacked.
,, Hotshot twinn pilot had firewalled the throttle on takeoff ,, only to discover the yoke was frozen,, the fence acted like an aresting hook!!
,,,investigator> "yoke lock still in place.
>>
>>901166
Complacency is a bitch
>>
Can someone redpill me on de-regulation and what effects it's had?
>>
>>901177
Go read the wikipedia article, come back with a report for the class, and then pose specific questions. It's a complex topic, and non GA (this is/gag/). Try starting a thread.
>>
>>901177
>redpill

Son, you're on notice.

And that would be a good on-its-own type thread.

It made shit cheaper as a rule of thumb, but it wasn't across the board
>>
>>901187
>>901215
Kek

>post question In a separate thread and everyone gets pissed.

>try and follow the rules and post my questions In gag

>Everyone gets pissed

Wut
>>
>>901234
You made a thread about headsets, and another about pilot stories. Both can fit in here.

A question about a multi-faceted law that altered the way airlines operate and its consequences would overrun the general with its discussion.

The scale of the topic matters.
>>
Question. How much training is involved with getting a complex and high performance endorsements?
>>
>>901234
Maybe it's because your posts are pretty much always shit. Take off that trip, you contribute nothing.
>>
>>900528
U wot m8...

Even if you're only doing 3-4G maneuvers you should still be trying combat the effects.

Tense your buttocks, legs, abdomen and neck. You'll feel a very distinct difference between this and nothing at all. It becomes very important when you are doing continuous sequences with both negative and positive G.
>>
>>901266
A few hours.
>>
>>901352
Do I actually need to have a high performance/complex aircraft? Can I do it in a sim? Can get the training before I get my ppl?
>>
>>901402
The aviation community is, as a general rule, very friendly and helpful, but since this is anon, and I don't care about your feelings I'm going to tell you your posts are garbage. Your posts are garbage. Learn how to read part 61 and part 91 your damn self, it's your job as a pilot to figure this shit out. Don't ask other people to wipe your ass in aviation without putting forth a little effort of your own to find answers.

No you can't use a sim. (Why the fuck would you? High performance training is a lot of "feeling" your airplane and powerplant, the kind you can't get unless your in a multi million dollar sim)

And while legally you could fly HP and complex as a student, you shouldn't. It's too much airplane for you, especially the complex. If you're a massive tub of lard, and you can't fit your ass into a 172, I could see moving up to a 182, but I wouldn't put a student in an airplane that expensive because I'm sure the insurance company wouldn't cover it even though it's legal.
Master your maneuvers and procedures in an airplane designed for training.

And drop the trip, god damn
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 267x179) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 267x179
>>901416
thanks for the help

I really appreciate it when more experienced pilots help students out
>>
>>901402

If you like flying games you should try Battle of Stalingrad. In the Russian planes you have to manually manage:

- mixture
- propeller RPM
- oil radiator
- water radiator
- trims for elevator, rudder, and aileron

If you don't, you will break your engine, run out of fuel, or get shot down. I think that it's nicer to learn this way first, to have an intuitive understanding before learning the actual procedures.

Babysitting WWII engines in DCS World definitely made me much more aware of things IRL. Before, I used the throttle position and looked at the RPM gauge only for deciding when to use carb heat. Then I kept killing the 109K engine on go around (because full power is 20 seconds getting shot by American scum emergency setting) and I think it actually helped my IFR flying because I understand how to use throttle changes better now, even with a constant pitch prop.

>>901416
>your posts are garbage

On one hand you could just ignore his trip, but on the other hand he would probably make less terrible posts if he didn't feel like he had some kind of reputation to maintain.
>>
File: image.gif (273 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
273 KB, 320x240
>>901429
I've mostly been sticking to fsx but I'll give it a look if its on steam. And yes as a matter of principle if someone gets triggered by trips I'll just keep it up
>>
File: Snapchat-2144604811794110651.jpg (301 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2144604811794110651.jpg
301 KB, 720x1280
>>901439
Oh no, it's not tripfags that bother me, it's your garbage posts. Truckerfag, bacon, and others aren't a problem. keep your code.
>>
>>901439
>as a matter of principle if someone gets triggered by trips I'll just keep it up
>as a matter of principle if someone calls me an asshat because I'm being an asshat I'll continue to be an asshat

What high principles you have.
>>
How do i into money for lessons?
I'm ausfag and just out of school.
Flying is really the only thing I'm good at but how the hell do i fund my lessons?
>>
>>901619
A) get wealthy parents or (b) get a job

I'm lookin at my local airport FBO to get a job as a lineman since their hiring.
>>
>>901619
Also look at flying organizations for scholarships and loans
>>
I need a little direction. What's a decent priced aviation insurance company I can get student renters insurance.

My instructor recommended Starr. Anyone have experience with these guys?
>>
>>901628
Call AOPA if you live in the states, get a membership and use their services. They'll shop around for you.
>>
>>901637
Ya I was just getting a quote and I think I'll go through them.
>>
>>901642
I thought you were going to post pics of planes
>>
File: image.jpg (925 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
925 KB, 3264x2448
>>902007
I'm still on my phone so they might get jacked up but here you go.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>902007
>>
File: image.png (994 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
994 KB, 750x1334
>>902007
Apologizes for the jacked up pics have some thunderbirds
>>
I'm going to become an avionics tech for the Air Force because I didn't have what it takes to get an aviation degree, and I'm too broke and demotivated to continue flight training.

Anyone else here with experience? What am I in for?
>>
Getting ready for my Rotorcraft-Helicopter Private Pilot checkride, wish me luck
>>
File: Chiefly.jpg (1 MB, 4085x1505) Image search: [Google]
Chiefly.jpg
1 MB, 4085x1505
>>902428
>luck
i hope all goes WRONG!!,, and your ready forit!
,WIN, in the face of lose.
>>
>>902437
Wish me skill, forethought, thoroughness and serenity in the face of adversity, then
>>
I took a flight in a Citabria today. The ceiling was low so we just did landings in the pattern. The ailerons were a lot heavier than the Super Decathlon. I read that it would be like that but I was still surprised. By the end my shoulder was fatigued and all I did was shallow pattern turns. I don't know why, because they both have aileron scoops. Maybe the airfoil produces SO MUCH LIFT you have to be ein Krieger like Willy Messerschmitt to get it to turn.

Anyway, once you get used to the way the tailwheel works (it dislocates on steep turns and swivels, otherwise it's connected to the rudder) the ground handling is not difficult. Sometimes in a taildragger when you push the rudder it will continue to turn until you push the opposite pedal.

My instructor said to advance the throttle over several seconds (just like a Me 262), hilariously this airplane has so much power that I didn't even get it to full before it was ready to take off so I tried to keep it on the runway and bounced like a dumbass once or twice until I got the hang of it.

Full stall landings were fine, but wheel landings were strange and confusing. Every time I tried, I bounced slightly, and the instructor just took over immediately and transitioned to 3 point attitude to avoid porpoising. You're supposed to apply down elevator after the main wheels touch down to avoid flying back up, but the wheels are ahead of the CG so it's immediately going to pitch up unless you use luck and magic to touch down perfectly.

Overall this experience just solidifies my belief that a 172 is a minivan in airplane form and they should all be replaced with Citabrias for basic flight training. Taildraggers build character and create strong leaders for tomorrow's future... or something.

Also plz share arcane secrets for wheel landing, the instructor is almost as clueless as me (not really) and the poor schmuck can't even see out the front from the back seat.
>>
File: WarriorInterior01.jpg (105 KB, 960x639) Image search: [Google]
WarriorInterior01.jpg
105 KB, 960x639
>>902453
But was it lined with soft Corinthian leather?
>>
>>902463

of course not, it would compromise my sense of purpose
>>
>>900950
Use the prepware app, it's only a few dollars. prepware got me through A&P and PPL.
>>
>>901429
I started out in aviation as a mechanic with old planes and even got a lot of flight time. When I was working on my private in a 172, I was always hesitant on pushing the throttle in all the way for take off because I was used to babying the engines and only pushing the throttles about halfway up the pedestal.
It still feels awkward pushing throttles forward till they hit the stop.
>>
File: image.jpg (225 KB, 1100x745) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
225 KB, 1100x745
>>901619
>>901619
Fellow Ausfag here,

If you think you'd be legitimately interested in military aviation it's definitely a viable option. Just don't do it if it's simply on a whim or you're not keen on the service life.

I went the military route straight out of school (Navy) but screwed the pooch at the end of 2FTS. On the upside I've got a bunch of hours in the logbook which I'm putting towards a civil career.

If you're not deadset keen on the ADF then you're just going to have to get a job of some sort to grind your way through the fees. Sure it'll take a while but the satisfaction of doing it yourself will be there. Failing this there is always 'beg, borrow or steal' option.

You still being very young gives you a myriad of options, some of them may not be particularly appealing as the time and persistence required is substantial. Just don't fall into the trap of seeking instant gratification, such as putting the whole damn thing on a VET-FEE HELP loan at $100k+, I don't envy anyone attempting to pay that down on a GA or regional airline salary.

Also, can you get/are you a NZ citizen?

Here, have a cool plane for your troubles.
>>
File: 2015-08-14_00001.jpg (156 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-14_00001.jpg
156 KB, 1920x1080
>>901429
I'm more of a DCS World guy, though IL-2:1946 is pretty sweet. FSX is great for practicing navigation, but its flight model and systems management are all babby-modo

Hell, sometimes I'll just load up DCS to practice pattern work
>>
>>902453
How long is the runway?
Are your landings with power on or power off?
Crosswind?

If the runway is long enough, keep a little power on the engine and just fly down the runway while slowly descending until the wheels touch. Think of it as a slow descent rather then a landing.

Long runways aren't always available. So the best way to do a wheel landing is to have one main wheel touch before the other. Land the upwind main wheel first, then let the plane roll onto the other wheel. It's impossible to bounce these landings because this landing technique absorbs bounces.

Don't forget to plant the tail. After your tail wheel touches the ground, pull back on the stick and make sure that tail doesn't come up.
>>
How difficult would it be for me to get a job flying without an instructor rating?
>>
File: big.jpg (137 KB, 1200x750) Image search: [Google]
big.jpg
137 KB, 1200x750
not general, but i'll park this here to keep thread going and for inspiration.
>>
>>902589

The runway's short but we're going to fly to a longer runway to practice next time. I read it's good practice to fly a few inches above, the length of the runway.

Landing with one wheel touching first makes sense, because the suspension's response force would be directed partly sideways. I'll try that if I get a chance.
>>
>>902692
>posting ugly Korean war D models
>>
>>902672
Who do you know? Don't know anyone? Tough. Know someone who can hire you? Do they like you? Easy. Get your CFI certificate though, it builds character.
>>
File: hgs.jpg (139 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
hgs.jpg
139 KB, 612x612
I'd like to be a pilot someday, but I think I'd have issues passing a medical (diagnosed with adhd as a kid, but grew out of it).

So, /gag/, should I just wait for the reform bill that congress is supposedly working on to pass?

Is going light sport worth it?

Alternatively, how bad of an idea is it to lie to the FAA?
>>
File: whenUCit.jpg (677 KB, 1796x1347) Image search: [Google]
whenUCit.jpg
677 KB, 1796x1347
>>902808
KISS,, the Police!
,,,never lie to the FAA,, just dontalk to them at all.
,ultralite + Syria= Profit!
,, sure,, your a human trafficer, butits a good thing!, sail on over to Somalia for UPS deliverys to "Busness men.
,banner towing,,, skywriteing,, fish surveys, Paparatzi pics., wheres the end to all this WORK!?
,ok,, whos got connections on a nice Shower in Syria?, hot water?,, wide floor? access?
,,,, ill go.
>>
File: 1426889611196.jpg (371 KB, 1800x1196) Image search: [Google]
1426889611196.jpg
371 KB, 1800x1196
>>899726
My instructor kept correcting me about my rudder on my last flight. I forgot to ask why after we finished.

Stupid question: what exactly is "using rudder effectively"

It seemed like everything was flying fine but I kept getting corrected
>>
File: Bsky.jpg (425 KB, 1773x921) Image search: [Google]
Bsky.jpg
425 KB, 1773x921
>>902812
>using rudder effectively
STOMPING the crap outait!,,
,(Public message follows),,kids,, just say "NU" to drgs.
,,,,TAILSLAPIT ,, push rudder full over and see how gud your aeilerons are,,, its my default aproch setting, Dive,, DIVEDIVE,FLAIR!!, like a feather!
>>
>>902808
>I'd like to be a pilot someday, but I think I'd have issues passing a medical (diagnosed with adhd as a kid, but grew out of it).
...You'll be fine. Go get that medical.
>Is going light sport worth it?
Depends on your commitment and your budget, really. I think that if you're in it just for the occasional rental joyride, then absolutely - save your money and go LSA.
>>
File: sssmooth.jpg (515 KB, 2023x887) Image search: [Google]
sssmooth.jpg
515 KB, 2023x887
>>902808
,""Anon", im captain of the Blimptrain, "Bacon here tells me your looking for passage to the EU system."
,DOGEIT!!!, they were Jehadi,, NOT,, Jedi!,, and the backstabing Droids from HELL!
>>
>>902812
It's really all about sideslip. For the most part, you want to maintain zero sideslip unless you're on the runway or perhaps on approach. And if you can't maintain absolutely zero sideslip, it's generally better to be in a slight skid than be cross-controlled.

You're probably only steering with your hands. Ailerons generally produce adverse-yaw, which is effectively a cross-control. Rudder, on the other hand, most often has positive coupling due to the dihedral in the wing. Try steering with the rudder only for small corrections, and work on using a combination of aileron and rudder for larger inputs. Eventually you'll find the right combination which allows the aircraft to roll with the rudder counteracting the adverse yaw.

Does your airplane have a turn-and-bank coordinator? If so, watch the ball. It's a very effective indicator of sideslip. Try keeping the ball in the middle ("step on the ball" if it's off-center). If there's no ball, you can also feel sideslip, due to the aerodynamic force against the side of the fuselage. If you sorta plant your feet on the pedals and make an effort to "keep your ass in the middle of your seat" by pushing with your feet, the resulting rudder inputs will be in the correct direction to eliminate sideslip.

There are also times where you actually DO want sideslip, such as in a crosswind landing or forward slip. You should get really comfortable working ALL the controls for these situations. If your instructor's okay with it, try horsing the plane around a bit at a safe speed and altitude, just to improve your confidence with the controls. Do some steep turns, chandelles and shit. You never know how much control you have until you've felt it for yourself.
>>
>>902812
Step on the ball and keep the aircraft in trim. You're just making undue drag if you don't. The only time some slip in the indicator is okay is if there's a crosswind and you're crabwalking to compensate

>>902808
Depending on how far back "as a kid" is for you, I'd probably conveniently forget to mention it.
>>
>>902882
Effective crabbing will result in zero slip
>>
File: IMG_2269.jpg (961 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2269.jpg
961 KB, 1800x1200
>>902692
Everyone loves the P-51D, with good reason, but people forget about the workhorses of the Allied air forces like the P-40 and the Hurricane.

Fun fact, the P-40s could actually outturn the E-series 109s and outrun early A6Ms in a straight line. People shit on them because the Zeroes could outturn them in the early Pacific War, but turning with the Japanese fighters was never in the American fighter philosophy. It was zoom and boom from day 1
>>
File: 1440538210801.jpg (312 KB, 1500x1019) Image search: [Google]
1440538210801.jpg
312 KB, 1500x1019
>>902913
Also, everyone talks up the Spitfire like it saved Britain, but the truth is the real hero of the Battle of Britain was the humble Hurricane, a slow, plodding machine compared to the 109s it fought, but one that the Brits produced in massive numbers and used effectively. Also, it had firepower that put the early-model Spitfire's to shame.
>>
>>902814
>>902832
>>902882

Thank you all very much! I'll make sure to make good use of your responses on saturday
>>
>>902882
That's fucking wrong though. Cross wind has nothing to do with slipping
>>
>>902914
I love Hurricanes and also Mosquitos
>>
>>902970
Are you and I talking about the same thing? Because I'm pretty sure a strong crosswind pushes you off your azimuth. Call me crazy, but I'm fairly certain that's happened. Also, I'm fairly certain I've crabwalked to compensate, and the ball can come off center as a result. Again, I may just be taking crazy pills, but I distinctly remember this happening.
>>
>>902970
It does when you have to slip to line the wheels up with the runway before touchdown...
>>903047
You should be able to keep the ball centered while crabbing.
>>
>>902812

You should practice turning using only rudder when you're en route. It'll help you learn rudder control, and it's a useful skill when you have charts and stuff out.

Also, if you like flight simulators, try:

>Rise of Flight
>DCS World P-51 trainer version

These are both free and they will teach you rudder control very quickly. It's very difficult to fly a WWI plane without rudder; it's usually more important than ailerons. The P-51 also has a lot of torque so you will learn to correct for it quickly.

If you're bad at rudder your instructor probably noticed that you didn't use right rudder to compensate for the engine torque while climbing. The airplane is laterally trimmed for one speed. It's been a while since I flew a 172 but in the Cherokee you get to use left rudder at high speeds just like a 109 pilot (it has a trim knob though).

>>902832

>it's generally better to be in a slight skid than be cross-controlled.

Why? Skidding on the base to final turn is apparently the most common way to inadvertently get into a spin.
>>
>>902970
>>903048

I don't crab on my crosswind finals at all. I just keep one wing down and use rudder the entire way after turning base. I guess either way works. If I crabbed I would straighten out at the same time the wind typically changes near the ground, which would complicate things.
>>
here is a short guide to basic flight controls for beginners:

>ailerons
used during crosswind takeoffs and landings to stop the wings from hitting the ground

>elevators
changes trim speed of the aircraft (more down elevator = faster eta to destination)

>rudder
turns the airplane (duh)

>throttle
makes you go up or down
has the side effect of influencing the p factor wavefunction behind the propeller!

>flaps
in jet aircraft: uses more fuel but saves money on tires
in propeller aircraft, used mostly to get better visibility of the landing area and to reduce noise complaints
>>
>>899818
The way I always hear that clip is that he was waiting for an instructor, but the instructor was late/never showed, so he thought, "fuck it, I'll be ok."
>>
>>902692
My personal favorite, the XP-82. I wonder how it felt not being at the center line during a roll.
>>
File: obama_laughing_rectangle[1].jpg (275 KB, 660x440) Image search: [Google]
obama_laughing_rectangle[1].jpg
275 KB, 660x440
>>902811
>>902821
underrated posts
>>
File: P38sChino2010Wide.jpg (342 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
P38sChino2010Wide.jpg
342 KB, 1920x1080
>>903104
Yeah, but I can imagine the communication between two cockpits without your stick buddy right there would be less intuitive, and I can imagine the COG being kind of fucked.
>>
>>903071
This is what's great about flying a helicopter, you can just angle into the wind and say "fuck it, I'm not using the runway"
>>
>>903069
>practice turning using only rudder
NO
>>903078
Oh, fuck you got me.. Gr8 b8
>>
File: 1448920882981.jpg (108 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1448920882981.jpg
108 KB, 400x400
>>903071
>flying cross controlled
>flying wing low
>flying uncoordinated for longer than it takes to round out, flare, and touch down
>>
>>903069
How the hell are you going to turn using rudder only?
>>
>>903123
Is there any logical reason why you would fucking say that post is underrated? Has anybody expressed any kind of dissatisfaction or criticism at all against it? Are you delusional? Are you reading replies that are nonexistant? Maybe you come from communities with voting systems, but there is literally no way that you could know what other people think of that post you just replied to here. Maybe it's psychological. Maybe it's your own post you're replying to, like a 12 year old fucktard liking his own facebook posts thinking his swelling autism is going unnoticed. Maybe your self esteem depends on you tricking yourself into thinking someone out there thinks your post is worth something. Or maybe you are just a retard, the worst kind of retard, the one who thinks he's smart, the one who thinks he's the only one to have gotten the joke, to have understood the post. Well, guess what, faggot, that post is by no definition underrated so why don't you do the world a favour and go check out what the bottom of your toilet smells like?
>>
File: kisssssssss.jpg (458 KB, 1716x1287) Image search: [Google]
kisssssssss.jpg
458 KB, 1716x1287
>>903192
>>
>>903188
How do you normally turn? You use ailerons to increase lift on one wing while decreasing it on the other. Guess what yawing does? The same thing.
>>
File: image.jpg (197 KB, 665x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197 KB, 665x1024
I solo tomorrow and I'm fuggin nervous. Any encouraging words or advice guys?
>>
>>903223

DON'T FUCK UP YOU COULD DIE
>>
>>903230
That's what they said on POA
>>
File: Obi Whan.jpg (391 KB, 1672x814) Image search: [Google]
Obi Whan.jpg
391 KB, 1672x814
>>903223
>fuggin nervous
,,,?
,FUg NERVS?,, why?
, YOUR JUST GOING TODIE!!
,,if you have ANY doubt,, JUST, say, NO!, as P.I.C. THIS IS YOUR FIRST JOB!@!
,,,,this Your ALPHA mooment, ask your instructor to ANNOY/interupt/falseinput/spoof you, till you KICK his ass outathere! BE GLAD hes gone, useless weight!,
,, on that note, it will be so Fasto climb!, watch your pattern height.
>>
>>903233
Your post was harder to interpret than
a METAR. I'll keep that in mind though.
>>
>>903185
>>903154

>flying cross controlled

What's gonna happen, will the plane disintegrate mid flight? I sideslipped for the entire descent to pattern altitude today, and on several of my approaches.

enjoy being bad I guess
>>
>>903234
>a METAR

try a PIREP
>>
>>903234
METARs are wicked easy to read, though
>>
>>903214
Yeah, and yawing for a full turn just won't work at cruising speed.
>>
>>903223
Don't let them cut your shirt off, that's dumb
>>
>>>>903252
Are you really trying to get down in a hurry? Are you a jump school pilot with more parachuters to pick up, so you have to get the airplane down fast? Maybe you really want to shock cool the engine, because you're not paying for the rebuild, so FUCK it. Or maybe you don't know how to plan your top of descent for best fuel economy and speed? It's sloppy, it's inefficient, it's an excuse to fly uncoordinated because you're lazy. I hope your passengers get sick because you fly uncoordinated and throw up all over the inside of your flight bag.

People with good excuses to fly uncoordinated:
Ag pilots
Jump jockeys
Aerobatic performers
Upset recovery training
Slips to landing (if it's prolonged you fucked up and should go around anyways)
Lastly, round out to flare to touchdown crosswind landing technique

People who should fly coordinated:
Everyone else
>>
>>903261
I assure you it does. Roll is an effect of yaw and vice versa. If you yaw, even just a little bit, without any compensation with the ailerons, the aircraft rolls. A little bit of elevator trim to keep the nose up and you can fly the aircraft entirely without ever touching the yoke. This is basic shit people learn pre-solo.
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 1029x683) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 1029x683
>>903192
Kek,

I also think they're underrated.

It's Baconrider we're talking about here, everything he posts on 4chan has me trying to understand it or see some hidden deeper meaning.

I also like his pictures.
>>
>>903295

We're talking about using flaps, right?

Yeah, I don't use those because they're inefficient, I just go around.
>>
>>903300

>A little bit of elevator trim to keep the nose up and you can fly the aircraft entirely without ever touching the yoke.

You can also increase the power as you apply rudder. Then you fly without adjusting elevators at all.

You can maintain the instrument PTS standards like this.
>>
>>899726
I'm the KLMUKE apprentice from a couple of threads back, AMA.

Story for you.
>have a windrose A320 in one the hangars a few weeks ago.
>nothing big, just a short check.
>fucks off about two days late.
>a day or so later lands in Oman and blows two l/h MLG tyres on touchdown, blocks the runway.
>apparently no-one touched the tyres in the intervening period.
Anyway, I was working in the calibration bay at the time, and we got given all the tyre inflaters and pressure gauges to check. It turned out that one of them had been fucked up quite badly and read about 100psi low. Now, the MLG tyres on an A320 are meant to be filled with 270ish psi, so another 100 is definitely going to have an effect. The inflater was in calibration according to the date on the sticker. Reassuring stuff.
>>
>>903043
I think everyone loves the Wooden Wonder. Even that fat fucker Gรถering loved it.
>>
>>903372
>windrose

How the hell can a livery like that exist
>>
>>903371
That also, thank you.

I feel like a bunch of non-flyers infiltrated the thread and are talking shit about things they don't understand. For example, this retarded shit >>903295
>>
>>903469
It looks worse up close. Really bad.
>>
File: IMG_20150708_215720.jpg (204 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150708_215720.jpg
204 KB, 1200x1200
>>902453
add a little bit of power to reduce the glideslope for a wheel landing. right before you touch down pull to idle. I've done all of my flight training in a tailwheel and it's what was taught to me since the very beginning.
>>
>>903234
>look /gag/, I know my aviation lingo
>>
>>903704
kek, basically yes, but just remember though im now a veteran pilot with a whole 0.4 hours of PIC time now :DDDD
>>
>>903069
>Why? Skidding on the base to final turn is apparently the most common way to inadvertently get into a spin.
I said SLIGHT skid, and mostly just because of the aforementioned positive sideslip-to-roll coupling (as opposed to the negative aileron-to-yaw coupling). I find it's much smoother to favor the skidding-side of coordinated over the slipping-side (slipping requires larger roll inputs both entering and exiting the turn, and can also produce adverse yaw transients). But if you can keep the ball nailed perfectly in the middle, that's obviously even better.

As for spin hazards, I do think far too much emphasis is generally placed on rudder/sideslip and not nearly enough on elevator/AoA management. But yes, a hard skid is more dangerous than a hard slip in this respect, largely because any spin that might develop will be initially away from upright, as opposed to the slightly more benign "over the top" spin that might manifest from a severe slip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYHNO2kvuZI
>>
>>900948
Where abouts you based? You employed?

I'm in SEQ and cant find shit atm. I want to go west or north but I dont want to come back to my parents 3 months later with no money and no job.
>>
File: air_jamaica_livery.jpg (105 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
air_jamaica_livery.jpg
105 KB, 858x536
>>903469
It's not the worst I've seen
>>
>>903704
I was on the AWC checking out METARs and PIREPs before I went PIC on a VFR route from KPWM to KBOS when my CFI told me to GTFO because it was JOT
>>
File: 1424412640617.jpg (436 KB, 1182x966) Image search: [Google]
1424412640617.jpg
436 KB, 1182x966
>737-8
>Supposed to chop power at 20 feet ordinarily
>Gusty conditions
>Technique is to chop power at roughly 10 feet
>if you touch down with power applied, speedbrakes and ground spoilers don't deploy
>Risk getting airborne
>if you get airborne again and chop power below 10ft radio altimeter, speedbrakes deploy causing you to pitch up causing a tail strike
>>
My aerobatics instructor showed me this rudder coordination drill:

>pick a cloud or something in front of the nose
>rock the ailerons back and forth like an idiot
>use rudder to stop the nose from moving laterally, so the plane rotates on an axis

20 seconds of this fixed all my rudder problems in the Decathlon. It has a lot of adverse yaw and takes approximately the same force on the rudders as the ailerons to make a coordinated roll.

I flew a PA-28 today but unfortunately I forgot to try this. I did notice that my flare height control got a lot better. Before it seemed to vary depending on my seat height and various other factors, after flying a taildragger I feel a lot more confident. In fact I'll probably never have fun in one again, until something breaks.

>>904163

That's a great video, I love how controllable it remains even when entering the spins. From those entries it was very stable too, it seemed like there was no inertia or acceleration, just a very consistent turn rate. It also seemed like it took a lot more effort to get it to spin from a slip.
>>
Anyone here planning on going to into the air force? That's my plan after I get my commercial license.
>>
>>904402
I'd get the military rate first if that's your plan, that's a school you get paid to go to and a rate that can be turned into an ATP with a little bit of training and a checkride
>>
These long stretches between stick time are slowly killing me
>>
I heard a dirty rumor that the FAA is tossing all Mode C transponders and VORs and switching over entirely to GPS for flight tracking and navigation. It's supposed to be done by 2020

Does anyone know if this is true? That sounds incredibly stupid to me.
>>
>>905589

the FAA doesnt trust any technology that isnt at least 80 years old, so probably not true
>>
So, an A350's onboard computer just shit the bed and brought the plane to a screeching halt on a runway. Looks like the pilots are going to be handflying the entire way until that bug is squished, now
>>
>>905757
True, but on the other hand it is a government agency, and they're often not high on common sense. I can see GPS being the primary method for flight following and navigation, but no radar at all?
>>
Damnit, I wish I hadn't given up on flying. I could have had an ATPL by now. Instead I'm rotting in front of the computer doing menial IT jobs and shitposting. My life is wasted.
>>
File: 1442295279620.jpg (3 MB, 3094x1616) Image search: [Google]
1442295279620.jpg
3 MB, 3094x1616
>>905827
It's never too late to change course
>>
>>905842
I don't think I can afford to take any more loans.

The reason I dropped it is that airliners didn't appeal to me. But I didn't have to do that, there are still actual bush pilot jobs out there. But commercial bush flying, especially in Africa or Southeast Asia, means pushing safety margins a lot more than when you're dicking around with a PPL, something I'm not crazy about.

Trying to get a degree in CS instead, then I'll have a much more forgiving job market. I might be able to save enough money to at least get my class rating back and have some fun.
>>
File: c150 OOPS.jpg (129 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
c150 OOPS.jpg
129 KB, 960x720
>>905848
Have you considered just getting a PPL, flying for fun, while funding it with your IT work? Believe me, there are plenty of commercial pilots right now who wish they had.
>>
>>905857
I have one, just no valid class rating.
>>
>>905858
Huh?
>>
>>905871
You need a class rating to be allowed to fly. Like Single engine land, multi engine land, single engine sea, glider, helicopter etc.
>>
>>905874
Yes, and you get that when you get your certificate. Whatever aircraft category and class you trained in/took your checkride in.

Unless you mean you need a BFR, having your private with no valid class makes zero sense.
>>
>>905877
>Yes, and you get that when you get your certificate.
That was 8 years ago.

I only did one BFR and decided it wasn't worth the trouble because I couldn't afford to actually go anywhere and I might as well go through all the trouble of getting current and getting a class checkride and possibly a theoretical exam. I have to re-learn all the legal stuff anyway.
>>
>>905878
>I might as well go through all the trouble of getting current and getting a class checkride and possibly a theoretical exam
* if the day I can afford regular flying comes, that is
>>
>>905589
Look up ADSB compliance. It's an FAA mandate, with exceptions for classic Aircraft. To be used wherever mode C is currently required. It's fairly cheap.
>>
>>905857
Looks like the airplane is flyable/repairable. Neat.
>>
>>905878
What country are you from, you're not making sense
>>
>>905878
Ok so you're just out of currency. Sorry, just your terminology is throwing me.

Your certificate and the category and class on it do not expire. You can take a BFR and be current again. If you think you want more than just a BFR to feel current again, you can easily get a couple grounds and flights in with a CFI to get you up to speed until you're comfortable.

This is assuming you're from the US. Like the other anon said, you're not making a lot of sense, but if you're from a country whose flying regs work a lot differently than ours, that's understandable. Because I've never heard of a 'class checkride' unless you just mean adding a new class to your existing cert. Nor have I heard of 'theoretical exam,' unless you mean ground, and if that's the case I assure you any checkride you take to add additional categories, classes, or ratings, will all have their own ground sessions.
>>
>>905884
JAR-FCL, but like I said, I need to get back up to speed on the legal stuff, so I might be wrong.
>>
>>905889
Well, mystery solved then.
>>
>>905809
The least you could do is post a link
>>
>>905988

Here ya go

>http://www.cnet.com/news/qatar-airways-a350-in-scary-aborted-takeoff-on-inaugural-us-flight/

>http://avherald.com/h?article=490a76a2&opt=0
>>
>>905857
I really want to know what happened there
>>
>>906105
Dumb kid flying low over unfamiliar terrain, snagged a wire he didn't see. The end.
>>
>>906109
This is why you look up airports and read your TFRs, kids
>>
>>906270
What does this have to do with TFRs? Or airport information?
>>
>>906273
TFRs would tell you if there's unlighted obstructions that weren't there before, and airport information would probably have nearby wires listed. I can't think of any other situation where someone would fly so low where they'd be a hazard other than making an approach.
>>
>>906280
That is not at all what TFRs are for and no a TFR will not alert you to wires. New obstructions with no lighting would be issued as a NOTAM.

Also, there's a ton of reasons he could've been that low other than making an approach. For example, the actual incident report: http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=142385
>>
>>906288

>c152 brazilian navy adoption trials.jpg
>>
>>906288
I meant NOTAM, my bad.
>>
>>906288
Also, that's an engine failure, not a kid unfamiliar with the terrain
>>
>>906288
>So am I the only one here amazed at the strength of that Cessna's landing gear? News video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSVLviVN4_c&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>906330
I'm not the anon who said it was.

I was trying to make a point though that there are any number of reasons somebody could be flying that low, as you seemed to be implying it could only be on approach to an airport. People are dumb and will do dumb shit. Though in this instance that wasn't the case and they had an actual emergency.
>>
>>906406
You can never account for the stupidity of people, but you don't often hear about people buzzing the ground like they're trying to knock out a German bunker, so I assumed they were making an approach
>>
>>906380
I've seen black skid marks on cessna wing struts from extreme hard landings.
>>
>>906380
It would make sense that a Cessna has stout landing gear, they're the most popular training plane I can think of
>>
I'll tell you what drives me insane, I spend $15 to get a kneeboard from Sporty's and now suddenly I'm being advertised surplus Hueys for the low, low price of $1.85 million by trade-a-plane.com
>>
When I'm in a plane with a constant speed prop, why do I take off with fine pitch and then unscrew it like 3 half turns to get to a slightly slower RPM? Why do I have to put it back to fine when I land again?

The only explanation I can think of is that you get like 0.3% of a power increase but it's worse for the engine so it's some kind of safety mandate that you have to use it for takeoff.

Is there any reason to use a slower propeller RPM besides fuel efficiency?
>>
>>906878
I'm going to assume it's better for the life of the whole assembly. I know if your rotor RPM is too high in a chopper you can damage shit
>>
>>906475

engineer here, can confirm that any trainer machine with oleo mains gets an absolute ass kicking
>>
>>906878
Power is directly related to prop RPM. Higher RPM means more power, so for maximum takeoff performance and in the event of an emergency (go around) you have maximum power. You decrease RPM in climb for fuel efficiency, better climb performance, and to put less stress on the powerplant.

In my 172RG, the difference between normal cruise power and takeoff power is probably a good 10%, cruise is 67% BHP at 23/24 at 2,000 PA and takeoff is 2700 and full throttle at sea level. I used cruise performance because I don't know the climb performance numbers off the top of my head. As far as damaging the engine goes, you'll only hurt the engine if you're constantly redlining the prop - either way, you should only be at redline for a few seconds at a time, ~30 seconds to get to 500 AGL then 25/25, and ~30 seconds on final. I keep cruise power in until nearly short final, and put the prop in on my last GUMPS.

Read the PHAK, man.
>>
>>908197
That info is probably in the POH, too
>>
>>900734
kek
>>
>>901166
>yoke lock still in place.
How? Never moved control surfaces during walk around? Yoke lock never got in the way during start up? No wind correction during taxiing? Not checking to make sure controls are correct and clear? probably flew for phoenix.
>>
>>903043
You sound like you're from Florida
>>
>>903078
What am I reading?

Captcha = Waffles
>>
Is it expensive to learn how to fly? I've alays dreamed of soaring through the clouds (without the assistance of drugs)
>>
>>903234
>harder to interpret than a METAR
Ok now you're pissing me off kid
>>
>>904275
>JOT
just one thing?
>>
>>908415
You've obviously never been in the military
>>
>>908428
what does it stand for?
>>
>>908462
Think about what you do when you're lonely
>>
>>908197

>Higher RPM means more power
>You decrease RPM in climb for (...) better climb performance

I don't understand that part.

>>908249

The POH checklist just says use max RPM for climb and barely says anything else about it at all. It just says what kind of propeller is installed.

The PHAK looked useful at first, but basically it explains how it works and then says the order to move the levers in. I'm still not sure if there's ever a performance advantage to a lower RPM.
>>
>>908405

If you find someone that's never flown and teach them according to that, then by the time they figure out what the controls really do, they will have avoided all the common beginner mistakes.

Normally, new pilots don't know how coordinated turns work and it's also awkward explaining that most airplanes turn differently left and right. Also, another area of difficulty is maintaining altitude in turns because they don't understand how the airplane reacts to bank changes. If you learn to fly with more emphasis on rudder control, these problems will never come up.

Actually I think the issue is that the typical GA plane is too stable and is designed to mask all 'unwanted' flight characteristics, and only a very small part of flight training takes place at high AOAs. In a 172 at $150 / hr you may eventually become a safe and effective pilot, but in terms of stick and rudder skills you will always lag behind a glider pilot that pays $30 for a tow and spends the majority of flight time maneuvering near stall speed.
>>
>>908690
Where do you rent for only $100/hr?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!? Most places around here are in the $135-170/hr range wet for a C-172.

I'm running out right now but will be back. I had a gear failure on my CPL MEL checkride. That entire checkride I had nothing but problems actually; ended up turning out ok and the DPE was super impressed by how I handled it all and passed me with flying colors.
>>
>>908691

Top kek, it's $109/hr wet for Warriors and 172s. 152s can be had for under 100, and for 155 I can rent a very well maintained super decathlon. Add a little bit extra for tax, fuel surcharge ($3/hr). I live in Texas.

God bless murika, greatest country on earth. In France it's twice as expensive to fly, and I heard Australia is 3x the price.

>I had a gear failure on my CPL MEL checkride.

That sounds really interesting. I hope it failed in the down position. Alternatively, I guess it's a one time opportunity to practice belly landings on their insurance.
>>
>>908686
Like I said, it probably improves the life of the propeller and the shaft, and holding a high RPM probably damages the whole assembly, though I'm a chopper guy and I'm only going off of what I know about rotor assemblies
>>
>>908406
It's something you need to save up for, and preferably do a college program for and get federal aid/use GI Bill money for if you have access to that
>>
>>908761

I know is that there's a lot more torque on the engine at lower RPMs (assuming you don't lower the throttle). In DCS World the easiest way to kill an engine is to manually lower the prop RPM. But I'm not sure if the manifold pressure increases when that happens. And if the manifold pressure was kept constant, if it would still break.

I'm mostly just curious if there's a practical situation where lower RPM will provide more performance. And if so, what the physical basis is. IRL I would just do whatever the manual says, but I would like to understand the theory behind it. Also, my instructor said to reduce RPM slightly for climb and it's not in the manual anywhere, so there must be some reasoning behind it.
>>
>>906878
I know some guys who start unscrewing on takeoff roll, reduces engine noise in noise sensitive areas
>>
>>908518
Jacking Off... To completion?
>>
>>908843
Overthinking it, it's Jackoff Time
>>
mom's helping me afford private pilot license for christmas.
going in for my medical next week then starting ground school.
i can't fucking wait.
>>
>>908998
Merry Christmas bro.
>>
File: DAVE BAD XMAS.jpg (62 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
DAVE BAD XMAS.jpg
62 KB, 540x720
One of my old flying buddies bought this bird last month. This week, he killed Rudolph.
>>
>>908998
I was going to make fun of you for having your parents pay for your flying, but then I realized I'm just salty that I had to mix going to high school and working 40 hour weeks just to afford flying.

Enjoy it, man.
>>
>>908998

I think you owe your mom a thank you, and would a call every now and then kill ya?
>>
>>909071
Santa's not getting flight following, he doesn't have a transponder in his sleigh, and he's operating in the flight levels. This was bound to happen. I'm surprised NORAD didn't bring him down first
>>
>>909071
i'm calling bullshit
the only way that would happen was if you started the engine with the deer right between your prop.
If you came into land like that, there would be more damage to the deer and a/c
And you wouldn't get such a clean cut through the deer with a wooden prop
>>
>>909171
You cracked the case, anon!

It's a pretty obvious shop.
>>
File: flight3red[1].jpg (176 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
flight3red[1].jpg
176 KB, 1000x750
wish ultra light helicopters were legal in populated areas.

would be great to fly from my yard to work or shops.
>>
>>909339
Even if they were, there are at least 10 cons to every pro you can find sadly.
>>
Do any of you aero-enthusiasts know anything about adaptive piloting, or hand controls for small aircraft?
>>
File: ercoupe.jpg (202 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ercoupe.jpg
202 KB, 1024x768
>>909371
Closest thing to that I can think of are :
1) the Ercoupe. No rudder pedals, instead ailerons & rudder are both linked to the yoke.
2) Mods for pilots who can't use their legs (yes, that's actually a thing). Adds a stick near the yoke.
>>
File: 330px-Only_Angels.jpg (23 KB, 330x245) Image search: [Google]
330px-Only_Angels.jpg
23 KB, 330x245
sup /gag/

the film Only Angels Have Wings came on tv last night, apparently it has a strong planefag following due to centering around a small air freight company with sweet assed old planes and a few great flight sequences (a lot of models were used, though, too)

the whole thing is on youtube but here's a cool part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHqnFN7On4w

have any of you seen it? /n/ is my home board so i'd like input from actual pilots, but i don't fly myself. i don't want to talk to /tv/, obviously.

sorry if this is not considered /gag/worthy.
>>
File: winger.jpg (2 MB, 2834x2126) Image search: [Google]
winger.jpg
2 MB, 2834x2126
>>909371
>>
I got a question here.

Regarding operations at a satellite airport within Class C airspace, do you have to establish two way radio communication with the ATC facility controlling that Class C airspace when entering said airspace? I know you have to contact them when departing as soon as practicable when within Class C, but I'm not sure about approaching from outside their airspace.
>>
>>909798

You'd probably be talking with their approach, or some other controlling agency, anyway. If the satellite airport you're going to has a tower, you would of course talk to that tower when entering its traffic pattern. If there isn't one, you hop over to the UNICOM of the airport, and either way you'd say "I have my destination in sight/airport in sight/etc" and the approach you're talking to gives you permission to change frequency and probably tell you to squawk 1200
>>
Passed my commercial written today.

Just had to get that out there.
>>
File: hz77.jpg (28 KB, 613x447) Image search: [Google]
hz77.jpg
28 KB, 613x447
>>910061
Well, congrats.

Also, if that dummy who posted that thread about choppers not being able to glide is around, here's this
>>
Thought I might share this.

I'm a helicopter pilot by trade but I do fixed wing stuff on the side for fun. These are some highlights from an upset attitude recovery course I did in October.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8NgsV1YgyA
>>
File: 1447036993141.jpg (2 MB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
1447036993141.jpg
2 MB, 4288x2848
Any other Aussies on here?

I've got my CPL, multiengine class rating, multi engine instrument rating (2D, 3D), and MPPC and RU design feature endos.

What else should I do? Want to get a job eventually but just time building atm.
>>
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 550x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 550x1000
>>910419

Nice video. The inverted spin entry was particularly interesting, it looks like the spin is a lot faster and starts out more developed as well. I'd like to try those some time with an instructor.

I got checked out in a 7KCAB but the weather was only good enough for aerobatics once, and my ipod stopped recording after 19 minutes. My maneuvers were relatively sloppy because I got training in a Super Decathlon and the inverted pitch attitude is way different.

Also the ailerons are a lot heavier. If the weather clears up I'll practice inverted flight. When I return to the 8KCAB it will probably feel like an Extra or something.
>>
>>910061

I got a 92 on my instrument written today.

>cleared to KOCK as filed, departure frequency one two eight point four
>what does this abbreviated clearance contain?
>select answer choice B) departure frequency
>get question wrong

Th... thanks FAA.
>>
>>910512
Clearance limit.
>>
>>910419
Neat
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 75

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.