[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time here. Do you guys have a bicycle buying guide?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: raleigh_molly_16_girls_bike.jpg (54 KB, 586x358) Image search: [Google]
raleigh_molly_16_girls_bike.jpg
54 KB, 586x358
First time here. Do you guys have a bicycle buying guide?
>>
>>895997
Looking at the pic, I assume you want a babby's first bike guide?
>>
>>895998
No, I should've said pic unrelated, I just needed something that popped.

Also I should specify that I'm looking for something ideal for very long distance travel, but not necessarily a touring bike.
>>
>>895999
Here's a useful guide

google.com
>>
File: wut_bike_iz_gud.png (73 KB, 1554x745) Image search: [Google]
wut_bike_iz_gud.png
73 KB, 1554x745
>>
>>895999
Define "very long distance travel"
>>
>>896003
>not a touring bike
He probably thinks 50 miles is long distance lel.
>>
>>896000
I was hoping for some kind of informative buying chart. I don't think it's too unreasonable to just ask for buying advice.

>>896003
~100ish mile trails, as well as something to just comfortably let me get around because unable to get license and my current bike is basically a toy.
>>
>>896005
>100 mi
>very long distance
I've seen people do centuries on rigid 90's MTBs with slicks m8.
>>
>>896006
Well sorry, forget I said that that was very long distance. Now, can I get some advice?
>>
>>890681

Post your height, inseam, budget, local CL and intended use on that thread
>>
File: completelynskey1.jpg (330 KB, 1080x810) Image search: [Google]
completelynskey1.jpg
330 KB, 1080x810
>>896005
>needs to replace a car
I'd look into something like a Lynskey Backroad with a comfy saddle, full fenders, and a dyno hub. Obviously good brakes like RS505/805 for safety in all conditions.

Ortlieb front and back roller high visibility panniers should set you up for groceries and whatever else you need to haul around. Up front a B&M Luxos U supplemented with a stronger battery powered flood such as a Cygolite TridenX 1300 for special situations, and B&M Toplight Line Brake Plus supplemented with a stronger daytime battery powered running light such as a Dinotte Daytime Red.
>>
>>896013
Thanks anon, will do
>>
>>896015
Hmm... A little pricier than I expected, but I really do need a committed, long term bike. This looks nice, it'll be a contender.
>>
>>>/n/bbg

>>895999
If you want a heavy touring bike, Surly Long Haul Trucker (or Disc Trucker). If you want a light touring/randonneur bike, Salsa Vaya. If you want an off-road touring/bikepacking bike, Salsa Fargo, Surly Troll, or Surly Ogre.
>>896005
Oh, 100 miles? Nevermind. I thought you said long. 100 miles, ride whatever bike you feel like. People do 100 mile rides on road bikes, mountain bikes, and everything in between. I do >100 mile rides on a steel flat bar hybrid.
>>896007
Tell us more about your needs/desires. Basically,
>you want really long rides
touring bike
>you want to ride really fast on pavement and race
modern carbon road bike (or aluminum if poor)
>you want to ride pretty fast on pavement but not race, commute, ride maybe occasionally on gravel but mostly pavement, want something cheap
OTS (Old Ten Speed steel road bike)
>you want to ride mostly off road
Mountain bike (many variations)
>You want to ride a combination of pavement and gravel, something fun and versatile, good for commuting too and even mellow singletrack
Cyclocross bike if you want something a little more road/speed oriented, hybrid if you want something a little more off-road oriented or just prefer flat bars and mountain geometry (note that "hybrid" is a very broad term and some "hybrids" are shit tier; others are great; examples of good hybrids are Kona Dew Plus, Trek FX, Specialized Sirrus, Marin Muirwoods 29er)
>you want a cheap durable bike that can go anywhere but is heavy, inefficient, and slow -- but still fun as fuck
90s rigid mountain bike (some people on /n/ like to recommend 90s rigid mtbs with slicks; you can put slick tires on it if only riding on pavement, but if you only ride on pavement you should probably get an OTS instead; with a 90s rigid mtb you are best off with semislicks for something versatile, or knobbies if mainly riding off-road)
>>
>>896111
>>you want to ride pretty fast on pavement but not race, commute, ride maybe occasionally on gravel but mostly pavement, want something cheap
That wasn't very clear. The word "not" only applies to "race", not the stuff after the comma. OTS are not good for racing. They ARE good for commuting, pavement, and gravel. I would even argue that they make the best commuters of anything. They are efficient/fast, fun, and cheap, meaning that thieves are unlikely to target them, so locking them up and leaving them unattended isn't a big risk. Just make sure that if you buy an old bike (OTS, rigid 90s mtb, etc) you look it over or have someone who knows what they are doing look it over. With such bikes, it is common to have to replace tires, tubes, chain, cassette/freewheel, cables, housing, etc; as well as having to make adjustments such as true the wheels.
That might sound like a lot, but they are great bikes that can be had for great prices, and you can get lucky and find one in really good condition that doesn't need much work.
>>
>>896113
>With such bikes, it is common to have to replace tires, tubes, chain, cassette/freewheel, cables, housing, etc; as well as having to make adjustments such as true the wheels.
One more clarification: When I said it's common to have to do that, I meant right when you first buy it. Once you get it tuned up, it will not need those things done any more often than a modern bike will.
>>
OP here, forgot to add that it should also be collectible.
>>
File: Collectible Bike.jpg (187 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Collectible Bike.jpg
187 KB, 500x375
>>896142
Well then, you totally need one like this! Did you know it was the first production full suspension bike ever made?
>>
>>896150
I have one of those, how much will you pay me for it? It's really valuable so don't try to scam me.
>>
>>896160
Would you take 10^14 dollars if I come with cash?
>do have!
>>
>>896172
No. Thanks for the offer, but I'm waiting for it to become more collectible/valuable. This is my retirement plan, after all...
>>
>>896111
>Oh, 100 miles? Nevermind. I thought you said long. 100 miles, ride whatever bike you feel like. People do 100 mile rides on road bikes, mountain bikes, and everything in between. I do >100 mile rides on a steel flat bar hybrid.

Seeking validation from a guy who needs bike advice? This is pretty pathetic.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (326 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
326 KB, 1600x1200
>>896173
Its like a 401k that you can use today!!
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.