[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DO NOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 12
File: BVBxNTS.jpg (711 KB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
BVBxNTS.jpg
711 KB, 1840x3264
14% more chance of getting hit by a car when wearing a helmet. Driving at night tho...
>>
fuck off
>>
File: bik.jpg (83 KB, 704x704) Image search: [Google]
bik.jpg
83 KB, 704x704
>>
>>892628
http://www.howiechong.com/journal/2014/2/bike-helmetshttp://mpora.com/articles/cycling-helmet-debate
https://sites.google.com/site/bicyclehelmetmythsandfacts/
>>
>>892632
Fuck off
>>
I feel safer at night. :(
>>
File: Helmet hair.jpg (151 KB, 300x384) Image search: [Google]
Helmet hair.jpg
151 KB, 300x384
>>892632
The safest was a helmet with a blond wig on top.
>>
I don't wear a seatbelt in a car as I resent being told by THE MAN what to do and because i could throw myself free of a car wreck in the event of a crash.

I feel the same way about wearing a helmet on a bicycle
>>
>>892628
>>892637
No, it's an argument worth having. Helmets I can see both sides, but I need a warm hat in winter anyway so why not make it a magic one? Riding on public roads at night without a full StVO lighting setup is bullshit, I don't care what the law permits.
>>
>>892669
There has been over 5000 helmet threads the past couple years. There is no need for discussion on something that has been discussed that frequently and it ends up being a trolling competition

You wear it or you dont, nobody cares. dont force your ideals like a tryhard vegan you are
>>
>>892669
> StVO

If you live in Germany, this is by definition what the law permits. Does anybody else even know what the StVO is or what kind of lights it requires?
Not interested in yet another helmet debate.
>>
>>892644

Genius.
>>
File: QegYZ.jpg (80 KB, 720x588) Image search: [Google]
QegYZ.jpg
80 KB, 720x588
So, yet another dumb American disclaimer.

Does using (naturally certified) bicycle lighting nullify the night-time clause, or do you guys have to pay premium for a bike that the manufacturer qualifies for night usage?
>>
Lets keep it on toppic tho: DONT drive at night? WTF!!! Why would they tape it on new bikes. This society is getting pussyfied
>>
>>892686
Well, it boils down to that how can you possibly think that you can sue the bicycle manufacturer for getting run over at night?

Don't American bikes have reflectors on them?
>>
>>892686
Probably to avoid lawsuits or meet legal standards. It doesn't come with enough lights for night riding.

But that's not a bike anyways. Those ugly welds. Grip shifters close to the stem. Werd shit inside the stem. That's a BSO with separable handlebars like a GMC Denali. You really shouldn't ride that thing ever.
>>
File: Oowl.jpg (94 KB, 326x480) Image search: [Google]
Oowl.jpg
94 KB, 326x480
Reflectors are insufficient. Riding without active illumination in the dark is on the verge of comitting suicide.

And even when reflecting and shining like a christmas tree, i still am puzzled how many motorists keep blinding me temporally with their high beam during the whole encounter period and how this thing with the eyesight test required to get a driver's license works. I'd expect some of the drivers to start using a blindman's stick as soon as they get out of their vehicle.
>>
>>892689
Nothing bad in pulse-welding, easier to get pretty and solid weld with robots. I don't see any obvious defects (excepts the fact it's probably some filthy 10kg straight back upright ride position 8-speed IGH daddy-hybrid), though removing the paint could change the picture. Maybe a touch more current, but looks reasonable?

>>892691
It's weird thing about dark, you really don't expect any cyclicts or pedestrians. (Even if, currently dark comes around 18:00. You really don't see them until they are like 20 meters away (when you see their shape reasonably well) no matter the reflectors.

Strong lamp considered essential survival equipment. (Continuous beam or strobo?)

Even worse if it's some quiet curvy forest road somewhere. I'm sure American teens in their $800 cars like ride fast on them at late hours like anyone else, even if rally isn't that big in there.

Still, how can you possible assume to sue the bicycle manufacturer unless it's a clear code violation (like, you need two brakes in here if there are more than two gears and certain number of reflectors).
>>
File: sprious.png (94 KB, 620x216) Image search: [Google]
sprious.png
94 KB, 620x216
>>
>>892708

>front light
>strobo

I hate those fucks. Rear red strobo light is fine, front white strobo is fucking insane.
>>
>Continuous beam or strobo?
Both are necessary.

Strobe is better at catching attention, but it's poor at allowing the driver to track you.

Constant allows a driver to visually track your location, but it doesn't grab them as easily.
>>
>>892717
Well, I was thinking only the frontlight, because that's the only mandatory thing here.

Of course red rear strobo is a must have for open road, because back's where the cars are coming.

Plus, having that obnoxious blinking right under the nose? No.
>>
>>892718
I use a retardedly bright constant light and a little dinky led strobe one, so I've never had the issue.

At that point it's probably more placebo than anything, though.
>>
>>892719
Like I said, if you hear the roaring engines of 91 Nissan behind you it it's best to do like they taught in the army:

"AIR WARNING!!!"
*lifts the bicycle on shoulder and heads to the woods*
>>
>>892631
Underrated post
>>
>>892719
I do the same, most of my biking is done at night so I have one of those tiny silicone cased lights (flashing) in the front and a red one (solid) in the rear. Along with that I have a super flash (flashing) and a bright front light (solid).

Depending on what bike I ride, I have led light strips (for the rims) on one of them that are the same as an anon posted a while ago that give excellent side visibility.

On other bikes I have cheap chinese spoke lights that offer some side visibility.

It's very hard to see bikers in areas where I live at night due to lack of street lighting; side visibility is crucial for that. I even have tires that have reflective sidewalls.

I am interested if anyone has any additional tips/suggestions for riding at night.
>>
>>892717
>>892719

Meant to quote both
>>
>>892674

As an Australian I have never heard of StVO before, what is it? To ride at night in my state you need a red light on back of bike and white light on the front, is Germany more strict?
>>
>>892763
It's a German term. Only Germans and people who follow the Gospel of Jan Heine know it, because Jan is a German and likes it.
>>
>>892712

This basically sums it up.
>>
File: stzvo.png (37 KB, 700x328) Image search: [Google]
stzvo.png
37 KB, 700x328
>>892674
The basic idea behind StVZO is that bicycles are not "athletic equipment" or "kids toys" but "real vehicles" with minimum legal standards, even if you don't need a license. /n/ can get behind that, right? Lights, fenders, brakes, bells, reflectors, and all that stuff just come with the bike when you buy it. They take a dim view of blinking. There's not a cop on every corner checking this stuff, but it's kinda expected and if you cause a problem you had better have been in compliance. Even non-German cyclists of who are all "Muh Rights!" should take note:
http://www.bicyclegermany.com/german_bicycle_laws.html

>>892716
>This!
>>
>>892769
How are fenders necessary?

How are bells necessary?

How is a rear brake necessary?
>>
>>892815
They are not, anywhere but Germany! If you want to play in traffic on your track bike the law elsewhere gives you every right to do so. But if you use the road system frequently those features make sense for the same reasons they do on every other vehicle.
>>
>>892827
Fenders aren't even necessary in the rain, but if you live in a dry place it's not doing anything at all for you.

Nobody's going to hear your shitty bell through their cage. You're better off shouting.

Rear brake will not help you in an emergency situation. It also doesn't help you modulate your speed if you know what you're doing.

Having more shitty reasons for a cop to pull somebody over does not make the roads safer.
>>
File: illegal in germany.png (189 KB, 570x460) Image search: [Google]
illegal in germany.png
189 KB, 570x460
>>892769
>Hazardous Loading: Carrying items on your bicycle that may cause an issue in traffic is forbidden. Such items include open umbrellas, saws, scythes, or other items that might cause damage or impaired maneuverability.

>scythes
>>
File: Be Prepared.jpg (49 KB, 504x350) Image search: [Google]
Be Prepared.jpg
49 KB, 504x350
>>892829
Correct on every point, of course. Similar arguments could be (and were) applied to cars and semis. This stuff does not necessarily benefit you directly, but it gives you and them a bit of margin and predictability in a harsh uncertain world.
For myself, I don't live in a perfectly dry place and often don't quite know what I'm doing so I'm glad to have it.
>the bell; OK I use that maybe once a year.
>>
>>892832
Laugh all you like; if it's on the books you can bet it happened at least once. And I'm saving that pic!
>>892833
>mfw Pee Wee doesn't even have a front brake
>>
>>892833
I use my bell often, but then again, living in a city in Europe. I need fenders, but wont place em on my roadbike. Only my daily commuter. Rear break DOES help with the roadbike in hills.
>>
>>892769
>>892827

Fenders are NOT required in Germany.

>>892763
StVO stands for Straßenverkehrsordnung, i.e. the set of rules regulating street and traffic stuff. StVZO is Straßenverkehrszulassungsordnung, i.e. the rules regulating what kind of vehicles are allowed on public roads.

In Germany, you need functioning lights at all times on your bike, not only during nights. Not long ago, it needed to be fixed to the bike add well, using a dynamo. The reasoning behind it is that people will not stop using their bike if they notice that they don't have lights with them.
>>
File: cav-cap-1.jpg (18 KB, 464x261) Image search: [Google]
cav-cap-1.jpg
18 KB, 464x261
>>892619

It can't be helped. People wearing helmets look like gigantic dildos on wheels. I ride, but even I find myself trying to run em off the street with my death cage.

Wear a cycling cap you gigantic homos. Keep it traditional or don't ride at all. If you're not confident enough in your bike handling skills then perhaps you need to reevaluate your hobbies.
>>
File: EzZPb.jpg (120 KB, 416x260) Image search: [Google]
EzZPb.jpg
120 KB, 416x260
>>892717

I'm still in awe at how many drivers suffer from target fixation. I can hear often the sound of the tires buzzing on the rumble strip when they fixate on me riding on the service road next to the highway. Most semi drivers know better and hardly do this shit. It must be pretty fucking uncommon to see someone riding a bike out here in west Texas.
>>
>>892854
maybe they're doing it deliberately to make you think you're about to be run over? you said something about texas.
>>
>>892852
Not sure if bait or just super edgy
>>
>>892681
>I know nothing about America or Americans, except that I hate them.
>>
>>892866
I agree tho
>>
>>892631
Better than 90% of those "innovative bike" art students' projects.
>>
>>892815
>>892716
How is a rear-rack-mounted rear light necessary?
>>
>>892815
Bell is there, because a bike must have a "signal giving device". Can be a pump horn too if that's your thing.

Not arguing at all if it's of any use. I guess it's intended for pedestrians but usually I just gently holler them if they are blocking the way by marching in line formation.

>>892829
Oh watch the fixie autist groan. In EU, your death machine would by law need to have at least one working brake. (Two, if you are super hipster and use S3X.)

>Having more shitty reasons for a cop to pull somebody over does not make the roads safer.

Doesn't work like that here.
>>
>>892874
A rear light is necessary. It just depicted as rack-mounted, but that is not required.
Not having a rear light is just dumb. Changing colors is dumb.

I once nearly collided with a cyclist because he thougt it would be a good idea to have a blinking red light on the front and ride on the left side of the road in complete darkness.
>>
>>892619
People that don't wear a helmet are filthy casuals riding on sidewalks and in general not riding much.
Your stats are dumb and misleading.
You are dumb for bringing them up.

But then again, bored loser troll more likely.
>>
>>892896
>because a bike must have a "signal giving device".

You mean like the person riding the bike? I can yell louder than a god damn bell.
>>
>>893004
>mean like the person riding the bike? I can

That is what is absurd, yes.
>>
>>892854
They wanted to murder you, but hesitated.
>>
>>892978
>all of Denmark and Japan is filthy casuals
you'll coward don't even commute
>>
>>892896
A lot of people here confuse StVO with StVZO.
The first is about traffic rules, the latter about your vehicle and equipment.
>Can be a pump horn too if that's your thing.
No.
You MUST HAVE at least on "high pitched bell". You MUST NOT HAVE any other signaling devices.
[§64a StVZO]
You'll also need a
- White front light, red rear light (complying with a load more, very specific rules)
- White front reflector, red rear reflect (with some rule concerning area and min height)
- Yellow pedal reflectors, front and back
- Yellow reflectors in your spokes or white circular reflectors on the tires.

That said, I usually ride a road bike to work, but it's strictly for excercise so it's sports equipment that's exempt from some rules.
Also, cops don't give a fuck as long as your'e not drunk and/or being an asshole.
>>
>>893602
>being german
>not being drunk
Are you a kebap?
>>
>>893602
>not drunk

But what's the use of bike if not that?

I have an English style coaster with torpedo solely dedicated for drunk driving. Still too cheap for taxi you see.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.