[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how did she make Ys? it doesn't sound like anything anyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: ec90820c.png (298 KB, 648x309) Image search: [Google]
ec90820c.png
298 KB, 648x309
how did she make Ys? it doesn't sound like anything anyone would have done
>>
She got Van Dyke Parks to arrange it for her
>>
>>66428136

>write songs
>get gay guy to write orchestral arrangements
>record it
>release album
>>
she took some of her husband's old demos
>>
>>66428136
Took it out of her arse

There are tons of things still there
>>
>>66428136
Roy Harper did it like thirty years earlier
Van Dyke Parks arranging the album might have been some help, too
I love Ys, tho
>>
>>66429541
>>66428190
i love the work dyke parks did on the album but funnily enough the one track without his arrangements is my favourite.
>>
>>66428136
Amazing album, but she doesn't deserve as much credit as she gets for it. I think the songwriting is stronger on Milk-Eyed Mender and on the first two discs of Have One On Me, but Park's orchestral arrangements are what lifts it above anything else she's released.
>>
>>66428136
It's cheapened by her unnatural vocals and the lyrics on Only Skin being sub par. Seriously, I can stand the vocals, but I just think the lyrics on Only Skin are really third rate. It's just female songwriter cliche after female songwriter cliche.
>>
are y'all aware that arrangement is not the same as composition lol
>>
>>66429611
>I think the songwriting is stronger on Milk-Eyed Mender
It's not, it's very rudimentary and falls back on too many singer-songwriter cliches. Ys is her best work on a compositional level.
>>
As much as I like Ys, I think the orchestra arrangements are a bit too much in some places
>>
better question is how do you go from something like Ys or HOOM to fucking Divers
>>
>It's an "a man was the real genius behind it all" episode
>>
File: 1415107758816.jpg (67 KB, 452x452) Image search: [Google]
1415107758816.jpg
67 KB, 452x452
>>66430669
And you think Joanna composed it?
>>
>>66430909
She is credited as the composer, so yes. Of course.
>>
>>66430836
I think it's more of a "people are turned off of a good artist because of a vocal minority harshly overrating her" episode

>>66430909
to make myself more clear here, I mean to say that just because Van Dyke Parks didn't compose it doesn't mean that arranging it isn't a huge hand in why it's good. If it was just Joanna's composition, it'd just be her songwriting and harp.
>>
I prefer the sparse and subtle arrangements of HOOM tbqh
>>
Something about her music really annoys me and I can't put my finger on it. I feel like I should really like it, but something just really rubs me the wrong way and I'm not sure what it is.
>>
>>66430836
They have to justify their love of lady music somehow
>>
>>66430818
andy samberg
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.