[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you do it? I'm self taught on the big 4 (guitar,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: iPhone 105.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
iPhone 105.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
How do you do it? I'm self taught on the big 4 (guitar, bass, drums and piano). I have recently been enlisted by a co-worker and local artist to record a track. Cool right? Problem is, I pushed him into doing a track with a national act, an inspiration of mine and someone that I really don't want to disappoint. Without breaking NDA's and spoiling it, she's metal, and the local artist is hiphop, the idea is a modern walk this way kind of collab that doesn't suck. I've pretty much been tasked with writing everything. I don't want to let down my coworker, or one of my idols, but I'm incredibly self conscious of my music. How do I get over this? I'm essentially a session musician for my coworker's project. I can sit down and throw out the sickest riffs while faced, but when I try to structure anything it all falls to shit. Everyone says it's great but I really just think they're being nice. How do I get past my own critical opinion and have fun making music again?

https://soundcloud.com/californiablind "In Progress" is what i've got so far for the project and I fucking hate it. I'm supposed to have guitar and bass for the studio by Friday, and I'm fucking terrified of fucking it up.

Pic unrelated, its my first kit i used to practice on in an abandoned trailer some dude offed himself in.
>>
>spruce up beat and turn down the fucking hats
>build up tension with that main synth and have it drop out at 1:01, add a bass with a closing envelope and maybe play with ambience for a wutangish chanting chorus

well that's what i would do
>>
wait what the fuck

just take the stems from "just fucking around" and replace the drums with a hip hop beat. done
>>
>>66392045
The synths are just placeholders for the guitar and bass I'm supposed to record. Duly noted on the hats.

When you say build tension, what do you mean exactly?
>>
>>66392090
wait, how do a hip-hop beat that works with this?! i'm so confused
>>
>>66392091
o

whatever that note your playing there at 1:00 just go up to the next interval... i wanna say the 7? or maybe play with the harmony on another part...

i just mean have that main part progress like it needs to be resolved right there into the chorus... idk how to explain it... just play a different note at 1:01

>>66392114
if they're any good they should be able to rap over it... REALLY i would just switch the kick and play something different... it could be a numetal kind of thing except... actually metal
>>
>>66392232
I think I get what you mean on the tension thing. I threw on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo soundrack because Trent and Atticus are masters of blueballing. I'm beginning to get a clearer picture.

One of them is fucking awesome, I first got to see her live in Fayetteville NC at the Drunk Horse Pub, it was during her Apex Predator days. Good show, but she's 10000000x better now. My local buddy is at https://soundcloud.com/meidai, he's pretty good, he wants his current project to go darker, and I got put on the production end of all that. Some fucking how, I managed to get him to contact our femme-fatal awesome artist but got stuck with the making it sound good part of the project.
>>
it doesn't sound like you know much about songwriting as a whole, you just understand in a segmented way, kind of like how you learned to play those instruments.

basically, before you succeed, you must learn to fail.

plus, even if you think you make something really good, it could not vibe well at all with the other people involved and you'll get shit on even when you think you've got an ace in the hole.

also

>NDAs
>coworker
>"the big four"

bro, you're either 17 or a pretentious mother fucker, or both. do be humble while you're still starting out.
>>
>>66392326
love reznor <3

am i hearing a megaman x sample in courtesy call? sounds pretty good.

how do you make musician friends that actually care about making music???
>>
>>66392388
Really I just talk to people at work about music and keep an open mind. I'll jam with anybody that wants to, I learned guitar, bass and drums mainly because I wanted to be able to jump in with anyone that wanted to make music.

>>66392386
I'll make no bones about the fact that I suck pretty bad on real instruments. I haven't really had an opportunity to succeed or fail on anything. This is my first real project, I'm well over 17, and I'm just being honest. I work a cubicle over from https://soundcloud.com/meidai, the NDA might be bullshit, but there are three people that know about the collab and I'm not gonna be the one to come right out and say who we're working with. As for the "big 4" name 4 more common insturments that are used. Btw, pretentious? go fuck yourself, I'm god.
>>
>>66392467
go to bed kanye
>>
>>66391823
>how do i get over this?
write something good
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.