[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do drugs make you a better musician?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: Paul McCartney.jpg (48 KB, 404x480) Image search: [Google]
Paul McCartney.jpg
48 KB, 404x480
Do drugs make you a better musician?
>>
>>66368338
No
>>
Psychedelics maybe that's it though
>>
No, and druggie music is the worst
Everything bad about rock music can be traced back to psychedelic rock.
>>
>>66368338
No, however drug use and addiction are commonly linked to artistic and creative people, but it surely does not cause them to be creative.
>>
strawberry fields forever or good vibrations wouldnt have been made without LSD
>>
File: the-beach-boys-good-vibrations.jpg (1003 KB, 1500x1466) Image search: [Google]
the-beach-boys-good-vibrations.jpg
1003 KB, 1500x1466
>>66369858
If I ever feel down or cringe at the evils of mankind I will listen to this song to remind myself that there are also good and wonderful things in the world.

Also creative people use drugs - why not? They enhance shit most notably your fucking mind albeit in different ways (depends on the person taking, the drug, circumstances). So I'd say they CAN make musicians better. But it's not the other way around, drugs don't make just anyone creative and better by themselves.

Drugs are a tool so use them wisely kids. :^)
>>
>>66368338
drugs can't teach you how to play an instrument or understand music. You have to already be a good musician before using drugs to be able to make good music influenced by them.
>>
>>66368454
proof of this right fucking now
>>
It can be argued that it helps lower inhibition and make you more willing to try something new. The same can be said for alcohol, but it has the problem of making things super hard when you're shitfaced.
>>
I don't know about improving the process of creation, but I'm a pretty casual smoker, and I only recently started listening to music while high, and it seriously changes the way I appreciate music. I can see it helping at least.
>>
it depends on the person obv
>>
>>66368454

(not true, by the way)
>>
>>66368338
LSD taken once changes the way you think, what some people describe as "opening your mind" you think more critically about everything and come up with ideas that someone who has never taken LSD probably wouldn't have come up with.

I find that smoking weed motivates me to work on music, even after a long day at work. So in that sense, it doesn't make me a better musician, but it makes me a more productive musician. (contrary to what most people think of when they think of a lazy stoner - it can have an invigorating effect in small doses and on long time users)

Heroin is a tough one because it produces amazing music but totally ruins a person and (usually) their ability to play

Drugs let you experience life differently. Writing great music partially comes from having interesting life experiences. Most artists dont just take drugs all the time, but have period of sobriety and periods of drug usage, even in the same day. Say you work on music for 4 hours, then get high and work on music some more. then it wears off and you continue to work on music. The music you wrote high will be slightly different and will give you more options when you go back and edit/assemble your material.

Sometimes when you're high you take great joy in the fine details, but not the big decisions. Say if your song is already sketched out, everything is there but it just needs details and "filling out" When you get high you can go through and add those small details, and you'll thoroughly enjoy it and do a very creative job.
>>
Psychedelic drugs create new neural pathways, they are basically a day-long experience in free association. Cannabis can improve perception of music when combined with meditation. Cocaine or speed can make you able to work or practice for much longer. David Bowie and his band did Station to Station on tons of cocaine.
>>
>>66372589

last time i tried making music on speed i wound up doing housework for 2 hours
>>
yes/no. drugs have a different effect on everyone bear that in mind. also as a daily smoker i find sober states actually more potent in "new perspectives". as for drug abuse, as in the whole boring rockstar i'm going to find my masterpiece through substances thing, you're either going to be doing nothing or at such a rate that it's mostly nonsense/incoherent. drug abuse really takes it out of you as a person too. i wish i had even half the drive i did in the past.
>>
>>66368338
yeah, without drugs the musicians are just a bunch of fuckwits who fuck around with instruments unknowingly like a bunch of retarded retards.
>>
>>66368338
ITT: retards
Drugs do not enchance songwriting/production
That like eating a piece of shit and then writing a good song and saying "well that piece of shit gave me writing magic! it enhanced me!"
The stuff they did might have been influenced by drugs but not enhanced
>>
>>66372553
I really only agree with the lsd thing, lsd honestly made me more eager to learn new things and be experimental in almost everything that I do. Although that could definitely be because of maturity as well.

Pot has always made me lazy and more inspired to listen to music or binge watch some tv show, rarely do I do anything productive when im stoned.
>>
File: BeC8ewICYAARA3q.png (164 KB, 599x586) Image search: [Google]
BeC8ewICYAARA3q.png
164 KB, 599x586
>tfw went looking for inspiration in drugs & ended a cripplingly depressed/anxious train wreck

keep em to the party if you can or as a late night snack
>>
>>66372855
this
>>
>>66372855
You didn't look hard enough, and you need more. Your mind tells you this, not the other way around.
>>
>>66372799
While I do agree with your first statement, your analogy is elementary in that it neglects the neurological effect that drugs have on people. It changes the way a person thinks and perceives and, therefore, changes how they write music. Eating shit just makes you feel sick without changing your brain functions. There is a "writing magic" to taking drugs in a sense, but that's not related to artistic quality, just the colour of the composition and the compositional elements.
It definitely changes how music is written, if not necessarily the quality of it.
>>
No but imo being a musician make the drugs better.
>>
>>66372878

i'm still hammering away so we'll see

benzo abuse is really conductive for music to be honest, you just don't remember the process itself. i came to once after blacking out & had apparently been painting for two days straight pretty much & I don't even paint. maybe artistic potentiality lies in unconscious states to something approaching pure intuition. pure fucking with your health too though.
>>
>>66372855
Everything in moderation. Responsible use.
>>
>>66372969
Don't abuse benzos, that's retarded. Moderation is bullshit for prescription meds. Just don't fuck with them. Take shrooms or mescaline and find the answer for yourself. That is what your brain is telling you to do. Otherwise it will be hung up forever on that mystery. Meditate on psychedelics. That is the key to the doors of perception.
>>
>>66373000

not prescribed, i was using RC benzos till they became banned in the UK. to be honest it started off as self medicating which lasted all of a day & ended up over a year of self medicating gone wrong. i've got two tabs on hand actually & was planning to double dose & meditate. any tips for meditation on psychedelics? or just service as normal?
>>
>>66373042
Stop messing with research chems. That's bad for you. Darken room, no music to start, find an undulating source of light, something like a lava lamp, focus on that, focus on the sensations coming and going through your mind. Don't try to make anything happen, just be and feel in the perpetual now. The only music you should listen to is Southeastern Asian traditional religious music.
>>
File: tameim-curren_07.jpg (2 MB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
tameim-curren_07.jpg
2 MB, 1500x1500
All I can say is that this would have not been made if Kevin parker didn't hear Staying Alive by the Bee Gees while shroomed up and cocaine fueled.

Read it in an article somewhere.
>>
>>66368338
They make you... a different musician
>>
>>66368338
They can. Not by enhancing any musician function in the brain, but by making you more comfortable venturing out of your habits, and by making you able to relax and function creatively at times and with people where you otherwise wouldn't be able to.
>>
>>66373238
>>
>>66373133
Right.
Bill Hicks once said:
>if you're against drug, go home, take all your great CDs and tapes, collect them... and burn them! Cause you know what? All those musicians who wrote that great music... real fucking high on drugs.
>>
File: clap.gif (250 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
clap.gif
250 KB, 480x360
>>66373275
fucking great quote
>>
>>66373275
>Bill Hicks
Lol, literally a clown. Drugs can help if you're one type of person, and can ruin your life if you're another. There's nothing that bad about drugs, but there's nothing good either.
It's not worth it anyway. If you think drugs can improve you, dude, you already have given up. You're a waste. Stop doing music at and forget about it.
>>
They don't make you a better musician. Being a musician is pure physical skill. Everyone can be a musician. Drugs may make an artist a better artist however. What drugs can do is make you a more genuine artist, if you have the predeterminations to be an artist. Also it may inspire more interesting music.
Drugs have effects, that's why they're called drugs. Saying they don't change anything and comparing them to actual shit is pure ignorance. Even soft substances like marijuana are consciousness altering and they invite the user to look at familiar things from a different point of view and that is an important creative process.
>>
I think it just forces you into a state similar to a really intense daydreams. When you get older it sometimes gets harder to just let your mind wander. It just helps you reach a similar state which meditation, dreams and deep thought come from
>>
>>66368338
Can't make music if you're ded
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.