[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever cried to a song/album for no reason? As in an inexplicable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Mingus.jpg (6 KB, 124x186) Image search: [Google]
Mingus.jpg
6 KB, 124x186
Have you ever cried to a song/album for no reason? As in an inexplicable wave of indefinable power suddenly rushed through you and produced this visceral outburst of emotions, which seemed beyond reason as it occurred. To be clear, not because the song was or caused you to be upset. So, can a song be so beautiful that it produces this physical reaction, or is that just a cliche? Or am I just a faggot? Or both?

>pic related, second track of The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
>>
Yeah, happens very often to me.
Second track from Black Saint didn't made it, but it was close.
Some examples from the top of my head
Charles Mingus - Haitian Fight Song
King Crimson - Indiscipline
Katamari Damacy Main Theme
Almost every song from The Lemon of Pink by The Books
>>
>>66343123
What are your thoughts on it? Do you think it's just a reaction so innate that we can't describe it properly and, as such, have to resort to the use of incredibly simple descriptions like citing its beauty)? Thanks for listing the songs btw, I'll make a note to listen to the ones I haven't heard.
>>
good thread f a m. on a mingus related note i cried the first time i heard good bye pork pie hat. music makes me cry almost every day t b h
>>
>>66342940
Good lord I had no idea jazz made people cry for no reason
>>
>>66344168
not OP but yeah man, nothing has made me explode from the deepest part of my chest and cry like a child the way many jazz records have.
>>
>>66343123
Male or female
>>
I cried when I got to Opening Mail For My Grandmother on the new Hotelier album. I don't care what all those /emoe/ fags say, The Hotelier have matured both lyrically and musically to the point where they destroy any current emo band in terms of songwriting abilities.

Anyway, I don't think I could just cry to an instrumentally beautiful piece of music. The lyrics are definitely the most emotionally captivating aspect of a song when they manage to be well written, and I say that as a multi-instrumentalist who usually listens past lyrics.
>>
>>66343123
The Lemon of Pink, huh? That's pretty interesting. Do you have any idea why?
>>
I have cried to Godspeed You! Black Emperor several times
>>
>tfw the only song I've cried to is an anime op
>>
>>66342940
Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall both have made me cry before
>>
Until maybe a month ago I'd only cried listening to a few choral works, and for the most part particular recordings by my college chamber choir. Specifically: recordings of Benjamin Britten's Festival te Deum and Gretchaninov's Nuce Demittis from one particular (and exceptional) concert, and our later recording of Britten's Rejoice in the Lamb. The only exception was one really great recording of Eriks Esenvalds's The Northern Lights, which is simply a stunning piece.

And then I listened to the Basement recording of Bloom. Tears came at 3:11.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2084nQbmvk
>>
>>66343328
I think it has more to do with some specific settings. In my case, most have to do with anthem-like moments probably derived from vocal devotional music, and some specific kinds of anxiety inducing music. Idk, I just wouldn't call it beauty though.

>>66344251
Try to guess

>>66344429
Yeah, because it's filled with cheerful screams and strident instruments like violins.

>>66344597
Which one?
>>
Recently, I cried while listening to Since I Left You and I choked up while singing along to Let Down by Radiohead.

The hardest I've ever cried to a song however was "My Love Is a Stapler" from K-On. I literally cannot listen to that song without devolving into a sobbing mess. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me.
>>
>>66345191
>>66344597
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHs5AjAvFoA
It was after I had finished watching it and the only time I have cried in recent memory
>>
i cried to jungleland earlier today
just the message of wanting to escape and everything being wholly inconsequential in addition to the incredible orchestration
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.