[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain Metal Subgenres From After 1990
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: o.jpg (44 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
44 KB, 640x480
at some point i just do not give a hot steaming fuck about subgenres of metal and it seems like the divide happened some point in 1990

stoner metal is basically downtuned 70s hard rock, doom metal is just that slowed down, NWOBHM is 70s ratcheted up, thrash is that but fast, and i can get behind all of that and anyone who's making it then or now

but at a certain point past all the cores and techs and blackness and blastbeats and opera vocals and gregorian chanting i just don't, fuckin', get it

it all just seems... overcooked; going faster and louder stops yielding dividends and everything just seems like a joke incapable of a basic emotional statement

this is your chance to yell at me what the fuck i'm missing
>>
Some people like specific types of metal, like how there are specific types of electronic music. As people discovered and invented new and diverse sounds, it broke away from its original sound and it's its own subgenre but because the style is still a type of metal or Electronic, they fall under that blanket category.

You wouldn't generally like brostep if you were an ambient fan in the electronic music and you wouldn't be a fan of SDBM if you exclusively listened to power metal.
>>
>>66306193

well i mean i get that, but even in genres i pretty much write off i can still find one or two i like

more than "this is not my thing" i feel like there is something i am fundamentally blanking out on here
>>
Black metal is lo-fi thrash with screeching vocals
>>
Metal was originally bluesy psych rock. Its an evolution of musical styles and just like anything theres gems and turds amongst it
>>
not all the new styles are just faster and louder. Sludge, Djent, Black and Progressive all went in different directions and have different emphases
>>
>>66306013
i dont understand the point of this thread

there was a point where every metal band was just trying to be edgier and louder than that before it but that's already peaked.
>>
Death metal and Black metal evolved from thrash metal.

>Death metal essentially evolved from bringing thrash metal to its most heavy, brutal, and loudest extremes
>Black metal essentially evolved from playing dirtier, lo-fi thrash metal until Norwegians started playing the dirtier lo-fi stuff while removing the thrash

>metalcore is essentially hardcore with metallic riffing and guitar tones
>deathcore is the same as above, but with guttural vocals and blast beats

>power metal borrows heavily from speed metal, traditional heavy metal, and 70s progressive rock. has a large focus on bombastic, over dramatic, fast songwriting, technical prowess and keyboards

That's essentially the gist of it.
>>
Metal is fucking trash
>>
Did you make this thread before?
>>
retarded thread from retarded person who knows nothing about metal or music in general
>>
Metal died after 1993
>>
>>66310623
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.