[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Gorillaz the Radiohead of music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: Stew hd.png (164 KB, 887x901) Image search: [Google]
Stew hd.png
164 KB, 887x901
Is Gorillaz the Radiohead of music?
>>
vump
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
>>66261642
Gay post
>>
>>66261642
>"of music"
the fuck?
>>
>>66261642
No, Radiohead is the Radiohead of music
>>
I'VE HAD IT UP TO HERE WITH THE SHITPOSTING! FUCKING KILL YOURSELF OP! YOUR LIFE IS PATHETIC IF YOU THINK YOU CAN JUST SHITPOST ALL FUCKING DAY ON A STUPID FUCKING IMAGE BOARD! JUST FUCKING END IT OP! YOUR LIFE IS OBVIOUSLY NOT WORTH LIVING YOU FUCKING FAGGOT! DELETE THIS THREAD, LOG OFF THE COMPUTER, AND FUCKING KILL YOURSELF. I DON'T CARE HOW YOU DO IT, JUST FUCKING END YOUR PATHETIC FUCKING LIFE.
>>
Gorillaz is the Twenty One Pilots of the 2000s but without the good songs and a lame cartoon gimmick to compensate.
>>
>>66261937
wow sloww down guy
>>66261959
>of 2000s
But gorillaz are still relevant. 21 pilots? not as quite
>>
>>66261959
I love their cartoons. I think Feel Good Inc. is pretty good. Don't really know any of their other songs
>>
>>66261642
Then what's Radiohead the Gorillaz of?
>>
Ever since the mid 90s you've been hearing about Radiohead. Even if you have zero interest in them, or zero interest in indie music for that matter. They're essentially the Beatles of our generation. Not because of their effects on music or global cult fan base (although I could go on a rant about how no single band changes music as much as anyone says), but because everyone just accepts at face value that theyre a great band. Say "Radiohead is shit" in public and you're bound to recieve the same reaction if you said "The Beatles are shit". People, who probably can't even name over 5 songs by them, lose their cool. Like its a universal truth that they're good.
That's it: Death, Taxes, and Radiohead are good.
This reputation obviously lies on three albums released around a five year span. The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A.
The Bends
The Bends is easily their most enjoyable first time listen. Especially with three consecutive knockout tracks at the beginning (The Bends, High and Dry, and Fake Plastic Trees). Because of this, though, I think it's a bit lopsided. It wouldn't have done them harm to separate High and Dry and Fake Plastic Trees considering they're essentially the same mood. Many of the other 8 songs on the rest of the album are grungey, traditional 90s rock songs with another knockout track in My Iron Lung. It feels a bit repetitive by the time you end. Is it a good album? Yeah, definitely. But nothing to write home about.
>>
>>66261973
>Twenty One Pilots
>not relevant
>Gorillaz
>shitty cartoon gimmick band with funny voices is relevant but the most groundbreaking, enlightened voice in music that's being discussed and hailed in universities and homesteads alike is not

Blow a load on this guy
>>
>>66263058
OK Computer
Ahh, zee magnum opus a la Radiohead. What can I say? It's great. Probably the last thing I can appreciate by them. Although, the fact that music made for a shitty movie has a place on one of the most respected albums of all time is a bit mind boggling. And the fact that Thom Yorke's lyrics still aren't really cohesive song to song leaves it feeling a bit lackluster lyrically compared to other indie Giants. But still, it's great.
However, on Pitchfork's top 200 albums of the 90s, it sits in numero uno. And comfortably at that, according to the critic trying to make clear how much better it is than the second album Loveless. Although, it probably can be considered miles better, considering the fact that a fucking shoegaze album earned such a high spot, and isn't sitting a few rows back with similar albums like Spiderland.
But remember the point made that OK Computer was apparently miles better than the second best album released in the 90s.
>>
>>66263082
KID A
Oh boy, this is where it all goes Froggy. Like all good first tracks, Everything In Its Right Place lets you know what you're in for. It's especially special because it lets you know what you're in for for the rest of Radiohead's music careers and not just the album.
What are we in for?
Boredom.
That's it.
The album marks the beginning of Thom Yorke's ventures into fillers and boredom. Almost every song on Kid A could be a fucking instrumental. We need some garbage rappers to fill the voids with generic, ghetto lyrics. Because that's what it feels like. Yorke slurs his words through a good duration of each song, assuming he's even in the song. Idioteque really is on the verge of being a truly great song. But nothing comes from it. There's no transition, no big pinnacle in it. Just the same verse being sung until the chance is over.
And you're thinking "Is that it?" And you'll still be thinking it until the end of A Moon Shaped Pool. Besides some impressive songs like Pyramid Song, 2+2=5, Reckoner, Decks Dark, and even Motion Picture Soundtrack which closes Kid A. But the songs do nothing but remind you of wasted talent.
>>
>>66263119
It feels, what I want to say is uninspired, but to avoid causing even more aneurysms than this will initially create, I'll just call it unrelateable. You hear it, and nothing feels familiar. The instrumentals are unfamiliar, the lyrics and meanings are unfamiliar, the purpose of a cold digital world are unfamiliar. So unfamiliar that you're not spooked, intrigued, or even curious. Just uninterested.
Pitchfork hailed Kid A as the best album of 2k, and praised Radiohead for going in a different direction rather than the safe.
But wait, wasn't OK Computer arguably the greatest album of all time? "How easy it would have been for Yorke to just create OK Computer [specifically Karma Police, one of the best songs on it] again and again" Pitchfork says. Would it have been? If OK Computer was such an amazing album, why would Thom Yorke be able to recreate it, as if it was a generic ordinary album? And why is that looked down upon, would we not be blessed to have another album so great it "can't be overstated how much better it is than Loveless"?
And besides that, how is it relevant to the review? We're talking about an individual album, not how the bands reputation affects it.
Kid A and every Radiohead album post OK Computer is fit right on the shelf next to other internet praised albums by Death Grips, pre-Feels AnCo, and Daft Punk in that it's a lot of time an noise for something that's
>JUST. NOT. THAT. GOOD.
>>
>>66261642
Dream Theater is the Radiohead of music.
>>
File: PBG58jo.jpg (61 KB, 540x362) Image search: [Google]
PBG58jo.jpg
61 KB, 540x362
>>66263119
>>66263142
>>
File: fire.png (78 KB, 239x337) Image search: [Google]
fire.png
78 KB, 239x337
>>66261642
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.