[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.deftonesworld.com/secret s.htm#bts >First, I w
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: screamingmexican.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
screamingmexican.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
http://www.deftonesworld.com/secrets.htm#bts
>First, I wanted to stick this idea up my ass, but then I thought, I'm gonna show those fuckers how easy it is to create a hit-single. And so I rapped a hip hop part on that song, we shortened it and half an hour later, the hit-single was ready to roll on.
>how easy it is to create a hit-single
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMPtIhAPnn4

Is it really this easy?
>>
>>66253253
even this half assed idea of his is better than anything on the radio now
>>
>>66253281
His distaste with this song makes the music video hilarious.
>>
The KLF wrote a book (and a hit single) about this more than 20 years ago. But yeah, it's generally more about the marketing than the song.
>>
>>66253329
>marketing
This. This is how you make a no.1 hit. It doesn't matter one shit about the music as long as you have an attention grabbing video and get it played on TV/radio regularly.
>>
>>66253329
>more about marketing than the song
Is this even relevant anymore? Or is the landscape in regards to music marketing changing? Maybe my exposure is limited, but it seems like music marketing is less prevalent these days. Is social media kind of undermining the old way of doing things, or just adding another facet?

>>66253387
>It doesn't matter one shit about the music as long as you have an attention grabbing video...get it played on TV/radio regularly
Isn't this changing though? I mean now everyone can comment on everything, and have hundreds of other people either in agreement or disagreement with their opinion. Isn't there more emphasis now on an all around consumable product? Even with Back to School, there's some musical thought there, it's not like the song is bad. Though these days it seems like there's a greater and greater demand for quality in all creative output. Is the hit-single getting harder to create?
>>
>>66253491
>Isn't this changing though?
If anything, the quality of No.1 hits is decreasing.

Look at the 90s. Great chord progressions and key changes, great vocal harmonies with boybands etc. (I hated that music at the time, but I now appreciate the technical aspects)

Now look at the awful music that's no.1 nowadays. shitty beat with some rapping, maybe a vocal hook. If you're lucky you might even get a basic chord progression.

Popular music is 99% marketing. Always has been. You can write the greatest song in the world, but if no one knows about it and its not on the radio, it will never become No.1, or become a "hit"

Without marketing, you can't into popular music. Even acts that dont really try to become famous like Nirvana had their music video spammed to fuck on MTV. Without that music video, and without MTV coverage (all the marketing department), they would never have been known outside their garage.
>>
>>66253569
So it really is that easy, if you pursue it from a marketing standpoint?
>>
>you will never go to high school in the nineties
>>
>>66253604
Yep, all it takes it money. Money to make a video, money to whip up some "music" money to purchase air time. Record companies are essentially marketing machines. Music is just the thin packaging.

With enough money you can make almost anything work.
>>
>>66253684
Can you DIY marketing?
>>
>>66253734
You can try. Pretty much what the rolling stones did. as long as you have a marketing degree or economics degree you should be pretty solid.

Essentially treat your band/self as a business.
>>
>>66253646
That's early 2000's high school, bud. totally different.
>>
>>66253253
lol nah, he got cucked by his label to put a rap rock track on his album and is trying to play it off like they had control of the situation
>>
>>66254144
Except if you consider the amount of money that was shelled out for their follow-up album, they kind of seemed to have had control of the situation.
>>
>>66253253
girl at 0:29 reminds me of a qt I liked :/
>>
>>66254205
She cute
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.