[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice for a new guitarist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Hello /mu/:

I have recently started taking guitar lessons. I was also hoping I could get some advice. Does anyone have any pointers?
>>
practice
practice
practice
there are no shortcuts
>>
>>66220721

Keep learning scales. Just because you've been playing for 8 years it doesn't mean jack if you dont know a lot of scales
>>
>>66220761
>>66220721
I recommend a good two hours a day.
>>
Eat with it sleep with it etc.keep it with you and don't put it down unless your showering or having.sex.....there is a lot of great you tube videos as well......
>>
>>66220721
Take it seriously, put a lot of effort in, and don't expect to be performing for at least a year. And don't forget that no matter how good you get, everyone plays guitar, so unless you find a way to stand out you'll always be a dime a dozen.
>>
E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E

In standard tuning you can move your bar chord shapes up and down and they follow a pattern. For instance, if you move a g bar chord up a half step you get a g#. Its pretty commonsense, but you would be amazed at how many guitar players don't ever learn that.
>>
>>66221056
>Not having sex with your guitar

Are you even trying?
>>
>>66220896
Learned that one the hard way
>>
>>66220721
Memorize what you're gonna play on the guitar before you play it, it'll save you a fuckload of time.

Always be mindful of what you're gonna do next when playing a song. Visualize (finger positions) the next chord before its time.
>>
>>66220721
First learn Pentatonic scale in all positions then learn the modes and how to apply them :) sound
>>
Learn piano instead. Piano is the composer's instrument.
>>
Use half of your practice time to learn technical bullshit. Use the other half to learn easy songs you like and keep you motivated. Use a metronome. start slow. don't force yourself to play at a speed you can't handle, always be in control.

>>66220896
I've been playing guitar since I'm a kid and the only scale I know is the pentatonic one. I don't need to know scales if I don't want to improvise or play jazz music. I'm not saying it's not useful. Yes, it gives you control over any instrument. But it's not essential, it depends on what music you want to play.
>>
learn how to play "chords" before "single notes". Learning how to solo before you can play rhythm is like learning how to say "damn girl that was aight :)" before learning how to sex
>>
>>66220721
Don't neglect your left hand technique.
>>
>>66220721
Work on strumming technique and develop a real nice flow strumming up and down while adding breaks and changing the pattern of strumming. Work on being able to change chords fluidly,all that kind of stuff. I'm relatively new to guitar and those are some things I worked on the most.

>>66220761
At the end of the day this is really all that matters though, just do whatever as long as you are doing something to further your playing
>>
File: JustinGuitar.jpg (49 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
JustinGuitar.jpg
49 KB, 250x250
Do not pussy out and give up.
Remember that better gear does not make you a better guitarist.
Check out /gg/ for info, help, and conversation.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.