[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I started listening to beach boys recently and when I heard "Be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: beachboys33.jpg (51 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
beachboys33.jpg
51 KB, 500x375
I started listening to beach boys recently and when I heard "Be True to Your School", I thought the lyrics were ironic, criticizing the "my school is #1!" culture, but every analysis I've seen online treats it like it's actually just being strightforward. Thoughts?
>>
That was the actual formula of the Beach Boys albums: school + vacations.
>>
>>66180593
You mean beach boys early work
>>
>>66180497
How did a group of such ugly weirdos become teen idols?
>>
>>66180766
If youre just talkin about their earlt carrer its Because they made catchy pop songs early in their career that captured the sunny surfer vibe really well.
>>
>>66180497
stop thinking everything is ironic jeez.
quit watching mde,needle drop and filthy frank. you're gonna fuck up your mind

Some people like going to school and being the best you know
>>
>>66180725
Yes, before Brian messed with the fornula. There's an interview where Brian says this.
>>
>>66180766
WTF? Dennis kissed and held hands at least 400 women before the end of 1965, and that was just his backstage supply
>>
this song is hilarious

reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxcQvwQArTo
>>
Murray Wilson fined the boys for swearing, they were just a really wholesome family.

The destruction of the Wilson family through the 60's and 70s through drugs and death almost seems like a dark, yet honest portrayal of those times
>>
Fuck off with your irony.
>>
>>66182116
I guess they just wasn't made for those times
>>
>>66180766
>ugly
>>
File: ShutDownVol2Cover.jpg (129 KB, 300x298) Image search: [Google]
ShutDownVol2Cover.jpg
129 KB, 300x298
>implying this isn't a good album

It suffers from being top heavy with the first two tracks being the classics "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "Don't Worry Baby"; but, if you want a humble and honest look into teenage life in the early 1960's, look no further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygi4mOuuevU

plus it gave us this great outtake
>>
>>66182116
Murray Wilson was an abusive cunt, they were only wholesome externally, he really fucked up his kids.
>>
Best BB track coming through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoYk2mgE8A8
>>
>>66182299
It was yin and yang man, ask anyone, the hitting was bad, yeah, it was terrible

But murry was the ultimate fire in the ass, parallel to the teacher from Whiplash

necessary evil etc
>>
>>66182319
Love You is so fucking creepy
Beautiful
>>
>>66180725
>>66182014
I found the article:

>I asked Brian Wilson. Back in ’63 he was using Gold Star and I was doing the Murmaids there, and one day he came in the studio. I said, “Hi. Let me ask you a question. What’s your gimmick?”
>He said, “Very easy. Twelve months a year. I write about the calendar.”
>“What about it?”
>“Nine months of school and three months of the beach. (laughs) So you got kids in school nine months and then the rest of the time they’re having fun. That’s it!”
>So I said, “OK!” So that’s Brian’s answer.

He also asked Lennon and Dylan the same question:

Lennon:
>He said, “Very easy. May I illustrate it with a song? You ever hear ‘Why Don’t We Do It In the Road’ by the Beatles?”
>“Yeah, I’ve heard it.”
>“That was our message to Canned Heat, because we didn’t think they had enough humor, so it was basically taking the idea of a Canned Heat song and doing it with more humor.” And he said, “The Beatles stopped being a group when we stopped trying to upgrade and rewrite and reinterpret and reinvent our favorite records of the moment.”

Dylan:
>He said, “I ask questions and tell stories and that’s it.” OK
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.