[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post not what you think is the greatest album of time, but what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 50
File: folder.jpg (29 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
29 KB, 320x320
Post not what you think is the greatest album of time, but what album MEANS the most to you. Think about this one. Throw away trying to seem cool for /mu/, there are no right answers.

Pic related
>>
File: ziggyrca.jpg (85 KB, 500x489) Image search: [Google]
ziggyrca.jpg
85 KB, 500x489
>>
>>66153170
What makes this album special to you?
>>
>>66153188
I think it sparked my love for music and theatrics, and was the soundtrack to some of the most important hours of my life. It's also a very good album, IMO.
>>
>>66153211
Awesome! I should really get into Bowie, something I've been meaning to do since I got into music a few years ago
>>
>>66153260
He's a great artist! My 5 favourite albums by him are, in no particular order:
Station to Station
Diamond Dogs
''Heroes''
Low
Blackstar
>>
>>66153281
Thanks man, I listened to Blackstar earlier this year cause of all the hype and I enjoyed it a lot. Finally gonna dedicate some time this morning to getting through at least SOME of his discography
>>
File: In_Utero_(Nirvana)_album_cover.jpg (22 KB, 300x296) Image search: [Google]
In_Utero_(Nirvana)_album_cover.jpg
22 KB, 300x296
IU is special to me since it's very toutchy to Kurt's views on rape, how he was portrayed in media, and even a book by Patrick Suskind. I could go on describing this album for hours but that's the best way I can put it.
>>
>>66153319
I've never listened to it in full, what were Kurt's views on rape that speak to you??
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 948x948) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 948x948
Always and forever.
>>
>>66153316
No problem! I hope you enjoy!
>>
>>66153343
Agreed man, specifically for me, the last verse of the title song. I think it garnered some religious experience in me and kind of gave me the mindset I currently have today, ya know?
>>
File: Gorillaz_Demon_Days.png (40 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Gorillaz_Demon_Days.png
40 KB, 300x300
This was the first album that I actually chose to listen to on my own. Before this in like the 6th grade I really just listened to whatever my parents put on or just put on a radio station or something. But this really started my journey to finding my own taste.
>>
>>66153377
That's cool man, I feel like albums like that will always have a special place in your heart. The album like that for me is American Idiot, so no matter how I feel about it now I can always enjoy it. At least you have a pretty respect first album!
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 500x500
No other album gives me butterflies in my stomach like this one.
>>
>>66153401
Good stuff man! What's the genre?
>>
File: Jandek_-_Worthless_Recluse.jpg (64 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Jandek_-_Worthless_Recluse.jpg
64 KB, 500x500
Something about walking around Houston in unbearable heat while listening to this that became a major turning point in my post-college life. Sort of like burying the hatchet of past problems and gaining a clear and steady outlook on the future. I felt so overwhelmed when I finished my first listen that for the first time in my entire life I felt like I needed to go to church or something. Strange feeling.
>>
>>66153429
That's awesome that an album can have that kind of impact on a person! Are you in a stable place in life now?
>>
>>66153408
Ambient pop maybe?
>>
>>66153435
Yes. I have never been this satisfied with my life situation before.
>>
File: trustyourself.gif (996 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
trustyourself.gif
996 KB, 500x281
>>66153131
god what an awful choice. a fucking nujabes album. of all the music you could choose. what utter shit
>>
>>66153450
That's awesome man, good to hear
>>
>>66153456
Not OP, but please don't crap up the thread.
>>
File: 1466901882189.jpg (238 KB, 780x780) Image search: [Google]
1466901882189.jpg
238 KB, 780x780
I don't have a favorite album because I'm not a child. I see the worth in every album.
>>
>>66153456
Doesn't matter man, I like what I like, and it makes me happy. Wanna share your album?

I'm gonna do what your image tells me to do
>>
File: D3-albumart-oceansongs.jpg (11 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
D3-albumart-oceansongs.jpg
11 KB, 200x200
Saved me from a year of depression
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 300x300
Dunno

Maybe just right place right time. Got me into a whole lot of other stuff. Just one of those albums that never get old for me.
>>
>>66153472
That's fine man, but can you remember an album that gave you a really strong emotional impact? Stronger than any others?
>>
File: download (1).jpg (31 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
31 KB, 225x225
The release of this album coincided with a really tough part of my life, suffering with depression when I was 16/17, it's meant an awful lot to me ever since (though it's very bittersweet as it reminds me of that period). Listened to it constantly for a long time, Laura Marling probably isn't mu approved, but I love her.
>>
>>66153475
That's awesome man. It can be really easy to get into a routine of that, and soon enough it becomes a sickness. It's so cool that something like music can alter your life so much
>>
>>66153472
This isn't about your favourite album. I just posted Alas I Cannot Swim - it isn't my "favourite" album, but it means an awful lot to me.
>>
>>66153487
Who cares about mu approved man? Being a teenager can coincide with some fucked up outside shit going on in your life, and it's great that this album helped you with it and stuck with you ever since!
>>
>>66153473
oh god stop talking about yourself

nujabes is such soulless hacky shit. they have never expressed a cogent thought in any of their lyrics. it's muzak which considers itself very cool
>>
>>66153507
I'm actually trying really hard to talk about other people in this thread.

Sure there's 100% more soulful less-hacky things out there, but Metaphorical Music is what means the most to me so what's wrong with that?

What album means the most to you?
>>
>>66153472
rolling
>>
>>66153477
Back to December is a good song man. Never been the biggest T Swift fan but hey that's good!
>>
>>66153519
>but Metaphorical Music is what means the most to me so what's wrong with that?

i just told you what's wrong with that

you're like one of those guys that states his incredibly ignorant view on politics or religion and then says "well that's just how i feel" 100 times. opinions aren't inherently valid
>>
>>66153506
Yeah, I don't care about it being /mu/ approved, didn't mean it to come across like that, was just saying that many will disagree with me about Laura Marling. It obviously wouldn't change my mind about her music.
>>
>>66153472
come on dubs
>>
>>66153541
Not the OP but Jesus, calm down mate. The thread is about albums that mean a lot to you, the OP wasn't saying that it's an amazing album. You can't tell someone they're wrong about what means a lot to them, it's like telling someone they aren't feeling a certain emotion.
>>
File: beatles-white-album.jpg (37 KB, 840x840) Image search: [Google]
beatles-white-album.jpg
37 KB, 840x840
The Beatles as a whole. There's a song for everything , I can just put on an album and get a wash of great music, lyricism, emotion and more. It doesn't get old
>>
>>66153507
>caring about lyrics on a nujabes album
>not just appreciating the beauty of the instrumentals

also, he's a producer, not a band, numnuts. i don't even like nujabes that much you're just being a huge dick.
>>
>>66153541
Except that's a completely strange comparison because music is entirely to be enjoyed by the individual?

You can make right or wrong decisions in politics that negatively or positively effect people's lives. Like if they get enough food to feed their families.

Religions can sway people to do terrible things, and organized religions have so much power in the world it's scary. I'm not saying I'm not religious, but even I can see the dangers.

How can music even be compared to the gravity of fucking with something like politics or religion? What if I said my favourite album was Rebecca Black? Are people's QOL truly going to be hurt?

Get the fuck out of my thread you idiot. Nobody invited you. Just like nobody invited you to play when you were a child
>>
File: folder.jpg (10 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
10 KB, 160x160
>>66153131
This album had a huge impact on my personal development, and also on broadening my musical horizons a bit. I'd have to think a bit to find an album that had the biggest impact on my music taste, but it was probably branching off from The Fall of Troy to bands like Don Cab.
>>
>>66153559
I agree with that. I was hanging out with a girl a couple nights ago and she put on Across the Universe. Such a weird but amazing variety of music that can really be attributed to so many different emotions
>>
File: Mfffelo.png (265 KB, 262x323) Image search: [Google]
Mfffelo.png
265 KB, 262x323
Guess the Album
>>
This album is a 7.5/10 for me, but it perhaps represents the turning point for me in music.

Back when I was 15, and trying to find a replacement for Nirvana, who I'd spent the last 2 years listening to death, I saw this recommended to me.
I bought it, and listened to it as I went on holiday. It was nowhere near catchy enough to me, the whole verse-chorus structure was skewed and I hated Kim Gordon's voice. The album seemed far to intimidating to sit through all the way and the noisiness was too much, even for someone who enjoyed "hairspray queen"

Then 2 years later I would see it around more and more, and try it again. This album combined with White Light/White Heat ignited my love for noise rock.

Where other albums like Kid A, The Sophtware Slump, Image du Futur, Meat is Murder, Tallahassee, may have had more of a shift on my music taste, Daydream Nation represents the biggest shift in musical appreciation before and after my tastes changed
>>
>>66153561
did i say they were a band? learn to read pleb
>>
>>66153590
Cool man. No matter what, I think broadening musical horizons is extremely important for people. I don't think I'd be who I am today if all I listened to was Foo Fighters or something like that ya know? It's good to have an open mind
>>
>>66153472
Why doesn't anyone ever tell me who that chick is?
>>
>>66153604
>THEY have never expressed a cogent thought in any of THEIR lyrics
>>
>>66153604
"They"
>>
>>66153477
i love taylor swift
makes me think of all my lost loves :^(
>>
File: image.jpg (162 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
162 KB, 1000x1000
>>66153343
This.

And pic related
>>
>>66153629
I Knew You Were Trouble might be one of my top 10 songs of all time. Can't listen to it though because it reminds me of my first girlfriend.
>>
>>66153628
>>66153626
Not that guy but he probably meant Nujabes and the guest rappers
>>
>>66153644
That is probably what he means. Even their most poppy song, Lady Brown, the ending is so impactful to me.

So as we lay, I reminisce on the day that we met
Please, God, never let me forget

Who here has never felt that before?
>>
File: discovery.jpg (173 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
discovery.jpg
173 KB, 1500x1500
This album helped me a lot with issues of self-image.

While I don't feel any envy for taller people, as a male that's 5'6" I can pretty readily say taller males with a certain build (ie, not lanky or wirey) are typically seen as more attractive. It's much the same as how you might see a woman who's got the breasts, the hips, the waist, etc as "attractive" in a more detached social sense, but not really care much emotionally or even sexually. At least that's ow it appears.

It's more common in shorter, smaller women. Taller women, or women that a larger physique (not fat nor even chubby, genuinely having a more substantial body type on a musculoskeletal level) tend to care much less.

The internet affords the planting of toxic seeds in a person's psyche. All of a sudden unsubstantial things that are actually controllable to a degree shift in a person's mind to some strange pillar of insecurity. Not worth the time.
>>
>>66153641
yeah, long live brings back memories of when i took my girlfriend on roadtrip adventures back in college.

she makes nice songs to listen to when you're falling in love (or out of love, depending on the song), it's too bad it gets labeled as popshit for teenage girls
>>
>>66153654
>So as we lay, I reminisce on the day that we met
>Please, God, never let me forget
>Who here has never felt that before?

well it's extremely obvious and boring. there's really nothing to it. and i don't even think it's true really. if a moment is so special that you wish to never forget it... then wouldn't it naturally stay with you?

if you're just forgetting it then i imagine it didn't mean that much to you

basic, basic lyrics
>>
>>66153661
That's really interesting actually. I'm a taller guy myself but I've always been very very lanky, with incredibly skinny legs. I've always had problems dealing with it and always conscious of how I should be standing or whatever. It's all about accepting and making the best of a situation, like dressing for your style. An example being not wearing shorts
>>
File: 1365950625967.jpg (84 KB, 435x326) Image search: [Google]
1365950625967.jpg
84 KB, 435x326
>>66153641
>>
>>66153661
Is this a pasta? I'm pretty sure I've seen this word by word before
Weird
>>
>tfw the only memories I have with music are listening to it alone in my room
>>
>>66153709
you can still associate music you listened to with other events that happened in that time period
>>
>>66153689
I'm not saying it's NOT basic. I'm saying it's relatable and impactful.

Have you never been hanging out with a girl (or guy, idk you), and just thought to yourself that you never want to leave that moment? It's like that one Joanna Newsom song "The Things I Say", when she says...

"Do you think of the girl who used to dance
When you'd frame her moving within your hands
Saying 'This I won't forget'"

But you never fully retain that memory. I know for a fact that looking back on past relationships, I've forgotten so many small details that I promised myself I would always remember. You won't, but in the moment, you wish to anything that you'll remember it forever
>>
I was getting sober when I first really started getting into this album. It took me a long time to get where I'm at today, but the essence of the album and just the overall happiness of it has stuck with me ever since.

Mind you, it's still difficult to stay clean, but when I revisit this album, it reminds me of the harder and darker times I went through that are now long in the past, and I feel much happier than ever before.
>>
>>66153733
forget the pic
>>
File: sinceileftyou.jpg (80 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
sinceileftyou.jpg
80 KB, 500x500
>>66153733
forgot pic
>>
>>66153746
That's cool man! I feel like Wildflower will help a new generation through similar hardships as well.
>>
>>66153716
that's dumb as fuck dude. and don't bring poor joanna into this

that's your own pathetic nostalgia. i don't see what it has to do with those lyrics at all. they're the most basic lyrics ever. they don't express shit

i vividly remember a girl in 7th grade presenting a poem that was far more sophisticated and interesting. and that didn't mean shit to me. if you're forgetting things that were so wonderful then maybe your memory is just shit

or, like i said, maybe the moments weren't that great in the first place. they would have stuck with you if they were
>>
>>66153759
Agreed! I was ecstatic when it came out, feels so nostalgic and exciting
>>
>>66153763
I don't even know why I'm replying to you. We clearly view things differently
>>
File: Sublime40OztoFreedomalbumcover.jpg (52 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Sublime40OztoFreedomalbumcover.jpg
52 KB, 300x300
bradley was a fucking legend. this album helped me get through a lot of dark years after my brother got himself killed. he was riding a lawnmower with his friends out in the desert and he drove off a cliff. he was high and drunk supposedly

miss him every day. sublime was his favorite band so they kind of became my favorite band after he died. i think that ska is an extremely underrated genre and i am carrying on the torch
>>
File: The-Joshua-Tree-U2.jpg (211 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
The-Joshua-Tree-U2.jpg
211 KB, 1000x1000
U2 has always been my dad's favorite band, but he rarely listens to music. We moved around a ton when I was young, never in one place more than a year. I really disassociated with any real sense of home or place or belonging, I've always felt distant and a bit of an outcast. I've never been able to connect with any real social groups even in church settings where I was bullied a lot. I never felt like there was a place I could call home, or feel truly myself in. Even from a young age I had an intense sense of yearning for a home I never knew and never had. My whole life has almost felt like a journey to find a place I can call my own, and even now out of college and making it on my own, I still haven't quite found what I'm looking for (pun completely unintended but I'll just leave that because I'm a faggot).

The first time I heard this album, we were living in a small border town in New Mexico and were moving to Arkansas because of family. We set out at 3am and I must have been about 7. Right as the sun started to rise my dad played Joshua Tree and I watched yet another home fade away behind me, and the spectacular sight of the desert stretch out before me in every direction. Never before nor since have I ever felt like an album has fit a mood or scenery so perfectly. The album's lyrics were written largely about the band's spiritual journey through the southwest of the US, without answers and without a destination. That's how I felt at the time and it's how I feel now.
>>
>>66153803
Through my life it's stuck with me and taken on other meanings as well. I've long suffered from depression and anxiety, even some addictions though never to anything like hardcore drugs. But still addictions that damaged me and those around me. Running to Stand Still, originally about heroin addiction in Dublin, really speaks to me on a personal level because I've been through such dire situations before. The lines
>I see seven towers / But I only see one way out
even though they're about an actual place in Dublin, the religious connotation always stuck with me due to my religious upbringing as a youth minister's son, and it doubles as a solid reference to Revelations as well. I've been suicidal many times in my life, I have two failed attempts. That song has always spoken to me because a lot of its imagery evokes corresponding memories or feelings I've gone through or still struggle with.

The rest of the album is similar for me but that song in particular is my favorite song of all time as a result due to the personal nature. Also my dad named me Joshua because it was his favorite album at the time I was born, so it's quite a big part of my life. I took him to see them in Nashville in 2011 as a father/son bonding sort of thing and it was really wonderful. I know Bono can be a preachy douche at times but U2 really does hold a special place in my heart, and especially this album. The overall sense of longing, a spiritual journey without resolution and anticlimax, the lack of answers in life, and the morose melancholy of that experience really hits close to home due to my own religious background, beliefs, experiences, and that one particular morning drive through the desert at dawn.
>>
>>66153792
That's a really sad story man. It's always sad about hearing things like this. I know Streetlight Manifesto is looked down on on this board but I try to show a lot of people them, and generally everyone likes it because of the upbeat nature of the music and lyrics. Ska is cool
>>
>>66153810
>>66153803
That was a really nice story to read man. I have to admit I've never been the biggest U2 fan myself, but maybe I haven't given them enough of a try, I will make it a point now to listen to The Joshua Tree now.

Are you in a better place now that you've grown up a little bit? At least found stability?
>>
>>66153803
>>66153810
dude i'm so sorry about you and your dad liking U2
>>
I know what you guys are gonna say, hur dur, normie waifuposter.
But when i started listening to this album, it was when depression hit me really hard, a friend of mine betrayed me, another one died, all the others left because life, and the worst of it all, my mother was diagnosed with cancer (Thank God she survived, but she suffered a lot and it broke me see her that way, and be unable to help her much at all), now, all of this wans't all in the same year, but i was left isolated because we had no classes at the time, so i had a lot of time to chew and chew and chew all of this crap happening in my life, i used to listen to other depressive shit that only helped to keep me down, then i remembered, i like normie pop, so i thought, "hey, there is this artist I've been meaning to check out", so i got her second and third LP and was surprised by how positive her lyrics were, even though they weren't a big deal, and when i moved to EMOTION, i was surprised about how she had evolved her music.
Songs like "Making the most of the night" spoke to me, i felt like i had someone, wanting for me to get up, live life. It really helped me, then after a while I was able to accept at lot of what happened to me. I'm still not able to accept i'll have to deal with depression my whole life, but her songs helped me a lot, so i really love this album.
Now, i'm gonna check your guys posts, swim trough feels and look for some new stuff i can listen to. :)
>>
>>66153856
>Are you in a better place now that you've grown up a little bit? At least found stability?
Not a chance. I'm not the worst I've ever been but I've slipped straight back into a deep depression and it's really affecting my relationships and health. Actually my health is totally fucked, I recently had my third heart surgery to fix a congenital heart defect and before surgery I was probably at the happiest I'd been in a decade. I had someone to live for, I had big plans. Shortly after surgery all that was ruined and I'm left with nothing now but memories, regrets, and horrible chest pains from where they cracked my ribs open once again. Can't even work or pay medical bills. Anxiety is acting up too. I'm just in a bad place, I've never exactly been in a good place but now I'm really not doing so well.
>>66153878
Definitely not the worst thing that's ever happened in my life so don't feel bad anon.
>>
Some great stories in here
My life has been empty and straightforward since the day I was born and while I have a deep connection with music as a medium I've never had a special connection to an album itself
>>
File: image.jpg (177 KB, 1200x1182) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
177 KB, 1200x1182
Op is a nice guy :)
>>
>>66153893
Sometimes all you need is some optimistic music to get you through! I know a lot of people hear listen to depressing music like Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space when they're depressed, but I think it's really important to listen to music that represents the mindset YOU want to BE in!
>>
>>66153893
pretty sure people who listen to carly rae jepsen DON'T KNOW WHAT REAL PAIN IS
>>
>>66153472
Give me those dubs, baby.
>>
>>66153932
This, just fucking pump and blast the blues away. Stop being whining faggots.
>>
>>66153918
That actually brings some tears to my cheeks man. Is the country you live in bad for supporting people with medical disability? Cause maybe you can apply for that?
>>
>>66153932
Yes, exactly!
>>66153935
kek
>>
>>66153923
Dude, these stories are fucking trash. A single post on /r9k/ contains more tragedy and entertainment than this entire thread.

I guarantee you could come up with one just as good.
>>
File: brian-wilson-smile.jpg (733 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
brian-wilson-smile.jpg
733 KB, 1000x1000
<3
>>
>>66153926
I appreciate that! I'm gonna be posting on this board more now, I've just been lurking for around a year. Before posting this I was ready to leave, because of the overwhelming negativity and pessimism. This has kind of shown me that everyone here are just people, who appreciate kindness
>>
>>66153959
These stories are people's actual lives man. Who gives a fuck if they're more entertaining on a board full of NEETs?
>>
>>66153967
Without this album, I would have never told anyone about my mental illness and just suffered through it. Wilson's story profoundly affected me, and his musical talents and genius inspire me.
>>
File: 9221227.jpg (82 KB, 294x313) Image search: [Google]
9221227.jpg
82 KB, 294x313
>>66153926
>>
>>66153982
That's really important man. Inspirations are everywhere and it's only a matter of time before they're found.
>>
>>66153319
yes
>>
>>66153959
I'm not praising anons' abilities to write fake stories here famalam

I'm pretty sure a lot of these stories are real
And if they aren't, a man can pretend
>>
>>66153978
what a contradiction

you don't care about the lives of poor neets but you get weepy over this stuff?
>>
>>66153343
c u c k
u
c
k
>>
>>66154001
I'm saying these people are not posting their stories to entertain you. They're posting them to vent, and to contribute to my thread, which I actually really appreciate. You posting that is gonna prevent someone from getting their shit out, and I don't want that.
>>
>>66153989
Thank you. :)
>>
This album opened me up to my love of music.
>>
>>66153932
While that's true, often listening to something with a powerful negative emotional response leads to catharsis. Sometimes letting all your pent up despair or self loathing out at once is really beneficial and helps you actually feel a lot better. I've not been able to listen to Wildflower yet because I can't get in the mood for it due to my depression, but because I recently lost the person I loved, A Moon Shaped Pool has been my go-to album since it came out just two weeks before it happened. It's helped in dealing with it a bit because that emotional response is very specific. Sometimes a general sense of melancholy or despair helps you process your own negative emotions on your own easier because you don't feel completely isolated with them, that someone singing about that stuff means there's someone out there who could relate at one time and that can be a comfort in and of itself. When dealing with my childhood sexual abuse and rape I'd often listen more upbeat stuff but repressed all my feelings for almost two decades. When I was finally able to open up about all the shit I went through, the catharsis from all the depressing music I listened to at the time was a major help for me personally.

There's definitely room for happy music while depressed, and everyone works differently mentally, so I certainly don't speak for everyone with clinical depression. But from my own experience I can't quite get into music that's in the tone of how I want to feel ideally (happy, for example) because I still have to work through all the negative first. Negative emotional music helps me with that a lot.
>>66153949
I live in the US, so yeah our mental healthcare system is pretty dire.
>>
>>66153803
This is so cute
>>
>>66153997
Of course they're real. If they were made up they would be more interesting.

By "come up with" I mean to give a story to your life. Saying that it's been "empty and straightforward" is very strange. I'll bet I could get some meaningful stories out of you with a few basic questions.

What was the worst physical pain you've ever been in?
What is the worst thing anyone has ever said to you?
Is there a person in the past who you were extremely attracted to?
What's the most terrified you've ever been?
>>
>>66154024
Haha both these replies are to me. But yes actually that makes sense, that whole thing about catharsis. I think Carrie & Lowell did that for me in a way, cried so many times to that album.

Have you thought about immigrating to Canada? I don't know how hard the process is, but I know we have a better health care system.
>>
File: cover.jpg (53 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
53 KB, 500x500
>>
>>66154039
Dude why are you being like this? Life isn't a questionnaire meant to illicit answers to entertain you. These people just vented a little bit and I think that's great. Again, why are you being like this?
>>
>>66154014
you were pretty mean to neets just then

seems like you don't care about their pain. neets are people too, man. just inferior people. inferior people who deserve pity and sympathy
>>
>>66154069
Why do you think your life is "empty and straightforward"? Don't you think that's a bizarre thing to say? This is supposed to be a therapeutic setting and you're not making yourself emotionally available.
>>
>>66154039
>What was the worst physical pain you've ever been in?
When I was like 3 hurt my jaw

>What is the worst thing anyone has ever said to you?
Nothing comes to mind, 6 of my best friends ditched me but I got over it after a week

>Is there a person in the past who you were extremely attracted to?
I've never fallen in love before

>What's the most terrified you've ever been?
I don't remember ever being terrified, only angry
>>
>>66154053
C&L definitely helped me a whole lot, that's probably the hardest I've ever cried over any piece of media. Hit every perfect note for me personally.

I've looked into immigration, I actually wanted to move to Montreal for the art scene there as I'm a designer and artist myself, but I can't due to my heart condition. Even now with a mechanical aortic valve, I've got a high risk of pulmonary valve failure within the next decade so I'm not allowed citizenship due to the burden I'd be on the healthcare system as a non-natural citizen. I'm stuck with obscene healthcare costs even with insurance. The bills for this last surgery have wracked up about $220,000 and bills are still coming in. My family had to pay over $20k of that out of pocket. I have no alternative, I'm too unhealthy to leave the country and too unhealthy for the cost of healthcare here.
>>
>>66154120
wow man that's like sociopath territory

that's spock territory
>>
>>66154119
When did I say my life was empty and straightforward? I'm the OP, I'm trying to make this setting as therapeutic as possible for other people. My life is pretty great right now so I thought I could share that positivity
>>
>>66154149
stop talking about yourself jesus

i've read like 10 posts of you yammering on about fucking nothing
>>
>>66154148
>spock
>sociopath

Spock was definitely very emotional and empathetic though, anon. All Vulcans are, they're just able t divorce emotion from pure logic unlike most humans. They're perfectly capable of feeling and expressing emotion.
>>
>>66154180
I'm sorry
>>
File: blurryface.jpg (31 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
blurryface.jpg
31 KB, 480x480
The sound of the music itself is kind of a passionate and genre-bridging mix of rap, rock, indie pop, hip hop, emo, electronic and reggae music (which varies depending on the song). Plus the singer both raps and sings in most songs. The singer also plays the keyboard, piano, ukulele and bass guitar. The drummer, Josh Dun (it's a two-member band), is very talented too! I first heard this band locally a few years ago at Arkansas State University, where they stole the show as an opener to the great live band Neon Trees.

They seem to have a deep religious theme in most of their songs (especially the ones that aren't top singles), as with many of the songs the singer seems to actually be singing to God, while others have clear religious references. However, even as an agnostic (unknowing/undecided) I don't mind in the least bit as I sing along, because it seems more like existentialism, which emphasizes the free and responsible individual who is determining their own development in the face of the disorientation and confusion of an apparently absurd world, rather than evangelism/preaching (which in my opinion it is not).

That's just what I get out of them anyway, and you might get something different from them, but for me it's about the critical personal pursuit of the purpose/meaning of life...dealing with one's happiness/unhappiness...and hopefully finding the joy in your beliefs to push through it all.

In my opinion, their name deserves to be mentioned alongside figures like John Lennon and Leo Tolstoy. They're that good on so many levels -- musically and intellectually. They entertain me. They inspire me to create. They make me think.
>>
>>66154183
i meant data then
>>
>>66154180
youre such a nasty person
you wouldnt dare talk like that to anybody in real life
>>
>>66154208
fuck off you fucking shill
>>
>>66154148
I guess im a weird person in the end
I'm just kinda not very capable of this called feeling
>>
>>66154220
That's a whole world of difference there, anon.
>>
>>66154180
>>66154234
must be the same fucking toxic faggot.
>>
>>66154243
i meant data's brother

the evil data
>>
>>66154236
it's probably just that you're like a little boy still. you've never experienced anything so you haven't grown at all emotionally. you're stunted because you don't live
>>
This is an obscure Jethro Tull compilation album. And not a very good one. It was like 20 songs that seemed to be chosen from their entire 40+ year discography at totally random. It doesn't even have their most popular stuff on it.

But it came to me shortly after I started playing flute in middle school band, and before I knew much of anything about music, and the vast diversity of sound and the unique flute style blew my mind, and made me want to learn more and more about music and about different, unconventional ways to play flute.

I don't listen to it anymore, and some of the tracks are pretty lame in retrospect, but it was the album that sparked my passion for music and made me want to be a musician.
>>
File: 1301521034889.jpg (100 KB, 441x408) Image search: [Google]
1301521034889.jpg
100 KB, 441x408
>>66154255
You're really confused on Star Trek lore, anon.
>>
File: Through-The-Years-cover.jpg (219 KB, 909x909) Image search: [Google]
Through-The-Years-cover.jpg
219 KB, 909x909
>>66154283
FUCKK forgot image
>>
File: dfghjkl;.png (6 KB, 343x97) Image search: [Google]
dfghjkl;.png
6 KB, 343x97
>>66154254
sadly not
21 pilots is objective trash senpai, and if you're genuinely moved by it that's cool but just know that it's a cynical marketing campaign
>>
File: Little Earthquakes.jpg (26 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
Little Earthquakes.jpg
26 KB, 500x498
Nothing else comes close for me. Borrowed this album from the library in my early teens and Tori has been with me ever since.

Songs like Little Earthquakes, Girl, Silent All These Years and Winter all resonated with my insecure teen self.
>>
File: teensofdenial.jpg (101 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
teensofdenial.jpg
101 KB, 640x640
Teems of Denial is new but it already really speaks to me and my issues with anorexia. I think that Toledo and me are very similar people at heart.

Toledo has carried on the line of the pop continuum from the Beatles, Kinks, a touch of the better prog bands, Replacements, Buzzcocks up to Pavement and beyond. This is an incredible record for those who like off kilter rock but not necessarily want something STRANGE. This record is not strange. It is heartfelt, it is happy even though it relays many sad tales. In fact its determination to be happy is what gets to me the most. That is a great lesson for all especially those of Toledo's generation who think happiness is a right. He knows it isn't and is not the slightest bit worried about it. You go about your business and do the best you can.

Toledo, dare I say it, is a force of goodness. He has a moral voice without any holier than thou stuff. Only concern for others. He wants us to be happy and is willing to give a few hints on how to do it.
>>
man man man man man man man man this op is seriously insufferable Jesus christ
>>
>>66154290
it sounds like you're the one who is confused which is typical in my experience as a star trek fan

if you don't know data's brother then you don't know jack shit
>>
>>66154309
That's cool! I've never heard of this artist to be honest, her voice is really emotive, listening to Girl right now. The lyrics are very...unique in a way. Like specifically the message, about being her own girl.
>>
>>66154290
>data's evil brother
>star trek lore

see what you did there
>>
I really like this thread. We should have this more often. It's good to see people genuinely appreciating music instead of being pretentious and shitting memes at each other.
>>
>>66154335
hahaha i know

he's like joel olsteen

he's probably some manic depressive who is riding high at the moment
>>
>>66154345
You've never heard of Tori Amos before? Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>66154364
To be honest, probably, but I'll keep being happy until I'm not
>>
File: hmm.jpg (49 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
49 KB, 600x600
>>66153131
Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on 4chan by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is 4chan. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it...
>>
File: a2820509001_10.jpg (479 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a2820509001_10.jpg
479 KB, 1200x1200
I usually describe this and Random Access Memories as my "big bang" moments

I realized the life I living wasn't the one I truly wanted deep down and I want to make music as well.
>>
>>66154420
kekd
>>
>>66153377
>>66153388
Both this and American idiot were my first albums and mean a lot to me.
>>
We was sittin' there watchin' the stage. Waitin' for the man they called Coltrane to come out and do his thing. It was me and my four droogs. Them bein' Peter, Georgio and Dim; Dim being really Dim.

'Round an hour'd passed and the place was packed straight through to the back. I'd just dropped some dollars for 'Trane's Giant Steps six months back. Now was the time, this was the place. The Village Vanguard. New York City. 1961.

I was only there for the first night, see, but them cats at Impulse! just made my life complete. They put out four CDs of all that sound 'Trane put out those nights. But you know my type, man. Can't afford to eat, let alone spend some heavy cash on music. So I only got the essential. Live at the Village Vanguard: The Master Takes is one disc, makin' it one-fourth the cost of the box set. And you only get the best stuff.

Man, the opening beauty of "Spiritual..." It's like a dream I had: I floated on the River Nile, smokin' some fresh weed, relaxin'. But I ain't ever gonna see the Nile anyhow. This track's as close as I come, and it's close enough. Best of the best, though, has gotta be "India." It's only when you listen to a perfect old jazz tune like this that you realize how much drum-n-bass is derived from this music. 'Trane takes it to heaven and back with some style, man. Some richness, daddy. It's a sad thing his life was cut short by them jaws o' death.

Shit, cat. It don't make a difference. The man produced enough good music to last me a lifetime. This Village Vanguard thing's just another example of the genius of Coltrane.
>>
File: 00000000.jpg (605 KB, 1414x1393) Image search: [Google]
00000000.jpg
605 KB, 1414x1393
So many lines in this album relate to me so deeply and personally, it's kind of scary. It's like half of it is addressing me directly. This album helped a lot with my depression, knowing such similar thoughts existed in the mind of a successful human being.

Oh, and i'm a vegetarian now too.
>>
>>66154469
Do you have any examples?
>>
>>66154483
"And when i'm lying in my bed, I think about life and I think about death, and neither one, particularly, appeals to me"

"I've seen this happen, in other people's lives, now it's happening in mine"

"And if the day came when I felt a natural emotion, I'd get such a shock I'd probably lie
In the middle of the street and die"

"How come someone hasn't noticed
That I'm dead. And decided to bury me? God knows, I'm ready."
>>
>>66153541
>opinions aren't inherently valid
holy fuck you're actually retarded
>>
>>66154526
so retarded you can't argue against it

it's a unique talent and it's clearly beyond your ability to articulate or argue
>>
File: image.png (261 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.png
261 KB, 500x500
feel like a basic bitch, but this album got me through my grandfather's death, leaving the only person who ever loved me back, and depression. One of my favorite memories is my best friend & I playing Soul Meets Body together the last day before he got sent away to a mental institution.
>>
>>66153942
>>66154541
You guys are literally, L I T E R A L L Y incapable of having even the SIMPLEST of fucking discussion without "MEME THIS, MEME THAT, PROBABLY TYLO BE CHILLIN, HERE'S A PIC OF HUMBLE CANNONS BY AARON ELLIS, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA EBIN AMIRITE?" Fucking STOP IT you pathetic fucking FAGGOTS, you are such fucking cancer that I cannot even fathom how you fucking scumbags live your dumb gay lives. Don't you have a job to get to, schoolwork to finish or a family to attend to? Do you literally do ANYTHING productive with your lives other than post stupid fucking memes on the music section of a god damn anime imageboard? You fucking people make me sick and you're damn lucky I don't have any of your fucking addresses you fucking pieces of shits. I'd spit in your faces.
>>
File: Forever Dolphin Love.jpg (47 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Forever Dolphin Love.jpg
47 KB, 600x600
I don't have any particular mental problems or whatever, I was just a really shy and insecure person when I heard this for the first time. It's such a strange sounding record to me. The wonky production, the airiness of Connan's chorused-to-hell-and-back guitar leads, the almost purely nonsensical lyrics... it's a whole album dedicated to the idea of not taking itself too seriously.

Hearing Forever Dolphin Love on LSD was the final drop that made cup spill over. It was one of the most intense experiences of my entire life so far. I bawled my eyes out for an hour straight. I no longer harbor those feelings that were dragging me down for the better part of my life. It's safe to say I'm a different person entirely.
>>
>>66153541
Music can not be meaningfully equivalated to religion or politics. Both religion and politics rest on the implication of uncovering or presenting an objective truth about reality, and an objective truth about how one should operate in reality. One party/religion may be right, and the other wrong, but there has to at least be "right" and "wrong" in the political/religious sphere for conversation about those spheres to be meaningful.

Music and musical opinion does no such thing. No need for "right" and "wrong", because it doesn't rest on a quest to uncover objective truth. Unless you thinka standard of taste is objective, in which case lol. Would love to hear your argument in defense of that.
>>
File: scaruffi.jpg (17 KB, 260x300) Image search: [Google]
scaruffi.jpg
17 KB, 260x300
>>66154605
>i took an introduction to philosophy at my local community college
>i think i'm really smart

Someone will always catch you.
>>
>>66154639
so you're just gonna focus on the big words instead of actually paying attention to the content that they're communicating

that's cool too i guess
>>
>>66154639
>Just graduated from a good University
>Wrote a whole thesis in response to Hume's "On The Standard of Taste"

Pls if you're skeptical about my knowledge and ability to debate, test me.
>>
File: 1466250468253.jpg (81 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1466250468253.jpg
81 KB, 540x720
>>66154605
you just blathered on for nothing. you couldn't have misunderstood it worse

it's not a comparison of religion, politics and music. it's a comparison of people who cannot defend what they say so they just short-circuit and go "it's what i think" over and over again

its the type of person who always wants their view heard even if they don't have anything to say

like you
>>
>>66154682
Misunderstanding is a fault of a lack of clarity, which the original point clearly had now you have illuminated what you were actually trying to get across.
>>
File: 1466882437140.jpg (27 KB, 546x447) Image search: [Google]
1466882437140.jpg
27 KB, 546x447
>>66154670
>Pls if you're skeptical about my knowledge and ability to debate, test me.
>>
>>66154572
And you are incapable of having a discussion without being this autistic, i contributed and talked to people here, already.
>>
File: astral weeks.jpg (173 KB, 1027x1023) Image search: [Google]
astral weeks.jpg
173 KB, 1027x1023
It's hard for me to pick an album that means the most, but this one has stuck with me since I first heard it years ago. Anyone that's listened to it knows that magical feeling it evokes - wonder, lust, nostalgia, all wrapped up in some brilliant songwriting and incredible performances
>>
>>66154703
>Misunderstanding is a fault of a lack of clarity

You're trying really hard to sound smart but you're not making any sense at all. Which makes you look dumb.

There are a limitless amount of things that could cause a misunderstanding. You seem to be suggesting that it's inherently the fault of the person who is misunderstood.

I know I've really got that razor sharp philosophical mind of yours going now. I'll brace myself for the storm.
>>
File: 1467517937792.jpg (8 KB, 268x284) Image search: [Google]
1467517937792.jpg
8 KB, 268x284
>>66154670
>Pls if you're skeptical about my knowledge and ability to debate, test me.

and to think, you guys complained when all of the 15-year-old redditors showed up

this shit is fucking golden
>>
>>66154274
I don't really think so
I'm just fundamentally different as a human being that's all
>>
>>66154865
>i'm a special snowflake

we understand. we get that a lot
>>
File: Hail_Mary_Mallon_Bestiary.jpg (23 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
Hail_Mary_Mallon_Bestiary.jpg
23 KB, 280x280
Sparked my love for hip-hop, and eventually lead me to explore more music in general. I can remember most of the lines from this album.
>>
File: 5028479011223.jpg (287 KB, 930x923) Image search: [Google]
5028479011223.jpg
287 KB, 930x923
fills my soul with joy and wonder
>>
File: R-3042971-1448889048-6367.jpeg.jpg (186 KB, 600x602) Image search: [Google]
R-3042971-1448889048-6367.jpeg.jpg
186 KB, 600x602
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com(43).jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(43).jpg
18 KB, 300x300
Unironically this and his entire discography is what got me into music.

A younger, primitive form of me heard "Kalimba" off of the windows 7 and it was a whole new genre that I have never heard. I sought out more like it and found a whole spectrum of music just hiding right under me. This album is what made me branch out into so many different genres, not just even in electronic music.
And it's pretty mediocre too.
But Scruff really shines as a DJ. That was where I got into funk, soul, fusion jazz, and krautrock.
>>
Might have heard better

But I don't care
>>
File: Garden_of_Delete.jpg (21 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
Garden_of_Delete.jpg
21 KB, 560x560
>>66156484
Pic didn't fucking register
>>
>>66153170
Soul Love is fucking bliss itself
>>
>>66154454
i was hoping i'd never see that cringe fest again
Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 50

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.