[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yeah, the horrible truth about Ambient 1: Music for Airports,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: music for airports.jpg (49 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
music for airports.jpg
49 KB, 500x500
Yeah, the horrible truth about Ambient 1: Music for Airports, one that no one wants to talk about, is that it's pleasant, in the worst way possible. I mean, pleasant, the same way handjobs given from an inexperienced girl who has never seen the equipment or is unused to moving her hands in a certain way is pleasant, because its better than nothing. This is certainly a step above John Cage's "4'33" (oh, man, he did not go there) but why listen to Ambient 1: Music for Airports when you can listen to anything else at all is beyond me. Why settle for a clumsy handjob when you can have the world?

If Ambient 1: Music for Airports was released today, no one would even look at it, because 1) anyone with a bit of musical savvy could've created this and 2) ambient artists (well, most ambient artists. Eno is still living like it's the 70's) have the decency to end tracks when they've run their course, and not sadistic enough to loop them to pad out an album's worth.
>>
Eno BTFO
ambientfags on suicide watch
>>
File: Brian Eno - Lux.jpg (50 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Brian Eno - Lux.jpg
50 KB, 600x600
>>66136468
>If Ambient 1: Music for Airports was released today
>>
I still dig the first track but pretty much yeah
>>
This is pretty accurate. I used to like this album a lot, but it's very repetitive. Even for an ambient album.
>>
>>66136468
Ambient by definition and nature is meant to be played in the background and not fully focused in on. It's also worth noting that the amount of musical savvy involved is a completely null point because almost nobody (especially on this board) listens to music purely for the savvy involved but rather for the creative choices (e.g. melody, song structure, timbre)

To elaborate a bit on why some people enjoy Eno and specifically this album it is because of his purposefully limited sound pallet, simple but very very good melodies and their calming quality, how the melodies are long enough to not sound obtrusive when continuously looped but not too long that the track is no longer cohesive, how additional elements are slowly and unobtrusively added while the texture of the songs maintain their minimalist clarity, how different parts are looped at different timings throughout the tracks so that the track is always subtly different when the main melody comes back around but the song as a whole never has any forward or backward momentum.

What this all means for the listener is a few minutes of calm, quiet, beautiful music with no surprises or sudden noises or changes, perfect for falling asleep, relaxing on a free afternoon, studying, or, dare I say, sitting in an airport, looking for a small escape from the loud and busy modern world happening all around you while you wait for your flight. It should perhaps be seen as inevitable that the idea of ambient music should arise in the 60s and 70s not just as a response to new technology and recording methods but also as a cultural response to a world of aeroplanes, television, rockstars, advertisements everywhere, increased globalization, increased population, this was a world that was louder and busier than ever before. The principles of quietness, simplicity, peace, and relaxation are at the core of ambient music and Eno gave them a voice.
>>
>>66137654
good post
>>
>>66136468
>Anyone with a bit of musical savvy could've made this
Firstly good grammar
Secondly they didn't, Eno did on his own, he broke down what music is to it's bare components which lead to every Ambient album since. Anyone could make it today because of Eno's work, because he made music for airports, because he worked on Low/Heroes, because he worked with Fripp.
You're just angry because someone created something simple 20 years before you were born
Also since when does music being simple make it bad, do you think smoke on the water is a bad song because anyone can play it on a guitar? Doesn't that make it a better piece of music because more people can enjoy/experience it
>>
>>66136468
reminder that ambient existed before eno he simply coined, and commercialized, the term
>>
>>66137654
Welp. Good job. On to the next thread
>>
>>66137654
new age did relaxation first
>>
>>66138055

He even says so on the liner notes.
>>
>>66137654
Wow this was really insightful
Thank u anon
>>
>>66136468
Idk i like Before and After Science better
>>
This has to be a copypasta of some kind.
>>
File: Tokyo Anal Dynamite.jpg (45 KB, 454x454) Image search: [Google]
Tokyo Anal Dynamite.jpg
45 KB, 454x454
Case in point:

Yeah, the horrible truth about Tokyo Anal Dynamite, one that no one wants to talk about, is that it's pleasant, in the worst way possible. I mean, pleasant, the same way handjobs given from an inexperienced girl who has never seen the equipment or is unused to moving her hands in a certain way is pleasant, because its better than nothing. This is certainly a step above John Cage's "4'33" (oh, man, he did not go there) but why listen to Tokyo Anal Dynamite when you can listen to anything else at all is beyond me. Why settle for a clumsy handjob when you can have the world?

If Tokyo Anal Dynamite was released today, no one would even look at it, because 1) anyone with a bit of musical savvy could've created this and 2) noise artists (well, most noise artists. Juntaro is still living like it's the 80's) have the decency to end tracks when they've run their course, and not sadistic enough to loop them to pad out an album's worth.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.