[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So the new track is really dull and just seems like a retread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4
File: AphexCheetah.jpg (95 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
AphexCheetah.jpg
95 KB, 620x620
So the new track is really dull and just seems like a retread into the Analord type material. Is anyone thinking this might be his worst release to date?
>>
>>66039079
Analords were great.

This and everything he's released after Syro has been trash.
>>
The whole concept of the EP is that he's using a rare synth.
That's it.
So yeah it's minimal but I wouldn't say it's bad or especially not that it's his worst. He's put out some shit.
>>
Both songs have been boring
>>
>>66039122
The aesthetic and what not are fine but I find the compositions to be pretty lacking.
>>
>>66039196
Meh, I'll assume he's limited by the machine.
I think they're fine tracks, classic Aphex.
Solid 7/10.
>>
>>66039122

what synth is he using?
>>
I've heard most of the tracks, and yeah, this is gonna be a throwaway. I get what he's going for with the "vibe" and vintage style, but in the age of outsider house/techno it just sounds hackneyed.
>>
>>66039274
Go to Warp's facebook
>>
>>66039347
I can't find about no synth there
>>
>>66039533
Just keep scrolling, there's a picture of the synth in a display case.
I tried linking but you know the spam rules here.
>>
>>66039533
bout to post pic
>>
>>66039569
oh found it

that track is pretty meh btw, and richard d. james "aesthetic" has aged like cheese
>>
>>66039594

aged like MILK* duh

honestly, at this point he's riding on his fame alone. dude is still stuck in the late 90s artistically
>>
>>66039594
so it's aged well?
>>
>>66039624
Yeah, I thought that Syro was a good mix of having that funky analogue style while still retaining loads of melodic complexity. This new stuff is just half-assed - flat out. Plus I feel like Danny Wolfers has been doing this sort of thing for like 72 years already.
>>
File: Screenaphex.jpg (160 KB, 1110x929) Image search: [Google]
Screenaphex.jpg
160 KB, 1110x929
>>66039533

late but whatever
for the lurkers
>>
>>66039806
>gear fetishism
>shitty gear fetishism
>unremarkable 8bit rompler gear fetishism
>using a half-assed album to (possibly) promote a product

richard d. hack
>>
>>66039931
lol, the best part is that you know all the music writers/critics are gonna get totally hard over it
>>
cheetaht7b owns hard, sunset cruisin w/machine elves in ya backseat
>>
Richard doesn't give a shit about appeasing people anymore. All he cares about it making music he digs, since he's his own biggest fan. Dude has already given us loads of great stuff, so it doesn't really matter if he gives us anymore.
>>
>>66040074
>using the "omg guyz he literally doesn't like care at all" excuse to justify a shitty release

if he didn't care he would release the album for free you fucking dolt
>>
>>66040074
This is such a bullshit excuse, sorry. There are plenty of artists who hold that same philosophy about creating music and have a prolific career but who also still put effort into their new shit.
>>
i love the tracks. that bassline man <3 classic aphex. Anons always expect him to do extreme things like Mt Saint Michael.Cheetah is gonna be a very chillout release. So excited for this.
>>
>>66039216
>>66040173
>classic
jfc dickriding at it's finest.

If this is the stuff Richard is capable of doing with all those rare synths he's hoarded then he's officially out of the game. I'm not refering to just Cheetah alone but everything he's released from Syro onwards. Legowelt's got him beat to the punch at his own game.
>>
>>66040246
I don't know man. I like it, why is so hard for you hear that? I actually REALLY REALLY like it. I loved Syro too. His albums coincidently come at the point in time when I want to hear exactly the type of things he releases.
>>
>>66040318
If you want to hear this type of shit then you only need to pay attention to the landscape of underground dance music. This sort of retro techno has been one of the most predominant styles of club music for the past 5 years now - like, the scene is completely inundated with it atm.

I did like Syro because you could tell a lot of thought went into it, but I'm not getting that here.
>>
>>66040246
Is it so bad that he's making the type of tunes he's good at? Not every artist needs to experiment for the sake of experimenting; in fact that often leads to pretentious unlistenable garbage (see: *ahem* some of his contemporaries...)
>>
>>66040493
Why don't go back to /bleep/ with your shitty and derivative 4x4 techno?
>>
>>66040681
>he's making the type of tunes he's good at
The problem is not that he's doing tunes outside of his established norm, the problem is that he sucks at the whole acid house revival business.
>>
>>66040771

this new aphex tune is both techno (acid) AND in 4x4 though? not to mention it's based entirely on a vintage synth so that checks off derivative too. do you realize how stupid you sound? why put him on a pedestal?
>>
>>66040771
This thread is about an EP that's derivative of shitty and derivative 4x4 techno.
>>
>>66040681
whom are you referring to
>>
>>66040681
Experimental wankery is precisely the only thing Aphex is good at.
>>
>>66040493
it's not the same for me. the tunes and details and how everything relates to each other on RDJ tracks are very very much beautiful to me than whatever the underground guys do. He mostly probably has a huge bunch of unreleased tracks similar to drukqs and analord but I think he only releases the things he really like at that time even though he knows his audience might like the other stuff he already has laying around. That's probably why he did that soundcloud dump. To get out a bunch of music he didnt really care about mixing . I can imagine him releasing exactly same music in next 10 years, and it will work for people who like this style because he is very good at this style. Those underground musicians can sound 90% similar to it but that 10% when it comes from him makes his tracks more than just another track. He has a very unique emotional sense that others don't. Also when it comes to richard, I listen to his music from a highly emotional standpoint and I almost always know where he is coming from and it works for me somehow. I can see how this track can, not standout for many people. But it has an underlying sense of classic Aphex Twin if you listen to it at the proper time, place and mood. Sorry if I get too philosophical with this. I only understand his music from such perspectives so yeah.
>>
>>66040909
>what is saw 85-92 and saw ii
>>
>>66040924
>I'm an RDJ cocksucker
kk
>>
>>66040909
exactly and he does it very very good. Most people have tried and failed imitating his wankery.
>>
>>66040926
>saw 85-92
A good and slightly experimental early ambient house record.

>saw ii
A decent but overrated ambient record.
>>
>>66040978
can you please recommend an ambient record that you personally like more than SAW2? Very genuinely want to explore new stuff.
>>
>>66041039
Check out the entire em:t label. Gas - 0095 and Woob - 1194 are worth a try for starters.
>>
>>66040940
Nice counterargument.
>>
>>66041127
Listened to both. I love Gas. Woob not so much but my friends would cover their songs. Thanks though I will listen to 1194.
>>
>>66040890
You know who.
>>
i think the track is alright, i don't know why everyone on here hates it so much
>>
>>66039079

why is this album is getting so much promotion?

I dont remember Syro getting this much support

it cant just because >>66039806

hopefully there are some legitimate good tracks on this EP
>>
>>66039079
A friendly reminder that people started tohate syro because EVERYBODY in /mu/ likes to suck fantano's cock (opinions) instead of making your own opinion
>>
>>66042406
>why is this album is getting so much promotion?
because aphex is their cash cow
>>
File: baby.jpg (47 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
baby.jpg
47 KB, 720x720
>>66042498

what he didn't like it?

I loved syro how the fuck do you not like syro?

[spoiler]trying to torrent caustic window is it any good?[/spoiler]
>>
>>66041666
Because in /mu/ everybody want to be the edgy pretentious dude who doesnt enjoy music but use them as a way to show status
>>
>>66042686
or it could literally just be that the track is really boring
>>
>>66040126
he's signed to a record label you fucking retard, and he HAS been giving this shit away for free, did you fucking forget SC?
>>66040147
Just because you don't dig it doesn't mean he's not putting effort into it. Your taste isn't the center of the universe
>>
>>66042671
>I loved syro how the fuck do you not like syro?
by liking tuss and knowing that rdj can do better
>>
>>66042671
Anthony only likes super edgy/experimental electronic music from what I've seen
>>
>>66039725
>New Stuff
FUCK YOU
These tracks were made years ago why the fuck you ppl dont understand this fycking shit??? Why???
>>
Fool me with CCAI pt. 2, shame on you.

Fool me with Orphaned Deejay Selek, shame on me.

Fool me with Cheetah, nuh-huh tough luck there buddy.
>>
>>66042738
Jesus you fucking sperglord, I meant "new" as in newly (officially) released material.
>>
>>66042696
Youre really boring :)
Dont lie berch
>>
>>66042784
Still not new!!! Come on™
>>
>>66039079
Gonna tell him to never release his most experimental stuff if you dont ride him
And only share to me
>>
>>66042726
Fuck Fantano
He ruined /mu/
>>
I'm an RDJ super fan who is very disappointing with this 2X202 track, it is honestly shit and probably took him 10 minutes to make. Quite sad, but as I know hes got MFM, Sonar track and next-level beats to release, I'm fine with it because I know the good shit comes later.
>>
>>66039624
Melodies from mars coming soon
>>
>>66040681
Right? /mu/ is sf transparent. They'd be all over it if it were 5 hours of modular synthesis noodling.
>>
>>66043032
hey, i loved those modubient tracks!
>>
>>66043032
oh fuck off
>>
>1995
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoQ517K252I

>2016
>http://clyp.it/bpqsrwrt

Is RDJ suffering from dementia or something? What the actual fuck is going on?
>>
1. CHEETAHT2 [Ld spectrum]
2. CHEETAHT7b
3. CHEETA1b ms800
4. CHEETA2 ms800
5. CIRKLON3
6. CIRKLON 1
7. 2X202-ST5*
>>
>>66040794
>Analord
>best RDJ release
>sucks
>lel
>>
>>66042671
>is Caustic Window any good

The semi-unreleased LP RDJ put out digitally a few years ago? Yeah, it's pretty good, I liked it a lot. It's a throwback to that high point in his career after the ambient and ambient techno of SAW, but before he fell too hard into drill 'n' bass and became mostly unlistenable for a while like drukqs. Flutey, Revpok, and 101 Rainbows Ambient Mix are probably my favorites off this album, but the entire thing is pretty solid.
>>
File: ICanFapToThis.jpg (46 KB, 409x405) Image search: [Google]
ICanFapToThis.jpg
46 KB, 409x405
>>66046312
oh, and the combo of phlaps and cunt is both excellent and also makes me kek, too.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.