[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck is with the earrape in this album? I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
File: 81J7coHyJ7L._SL1417_.jpg (263 KB, 1417x1417) Image search: [Google]
81J7coHyJ7L._SL1417_.jpg
263 KB, 1417x1417
What the fuck is with the earrape in this album? I can't get even get past the second song without getting a headache. Can someone explain to me why people like this so much?
>>
>>66028470
well to start there's a lot of good, less ear rapey shit past the fucking second song
>>
>>66028490
Why is it there in the first place?
>>
>>66028470
Honestly it is a really cool concept, and I love AnCo, but I do think this gets way too much praise.

People seem to think you need to say this is their number 1 album to increase their cred or something.
>>
>>66028513
Honestly, [spoiler] I don't really like animal collective much [/spoiler]
>>
>>66028497
because Avey was in his super noisy phase and so their first three albums all have a lot of noise elements. Also I'm not saying the ear rape is bad music, I don't think it is at all, but starting the album with it does probably estrange more people like you from the album
>>
>>66028532
lol okay kid
>>
I think its supposed to be your childhood dying or something
>>
>>66028497
The album has a lot of "noisey" elements in the instrumentation and production. I don't really know why people, myself included, enjoy it. Maybe it's just the type of thing you either get or don't get.
>>
The noise makes it feel like pixie dust. It's magical.
>>
>>66028537
I just can't get into them. I love practically all albums that are /mu/core but i just can't get into animal collective. It feels so unitersting and drags on for too long. Is there just something i'm not getting? I love GYBE and Downhill Colorfull Hill and other Slow-paced albums but i just can't find myself to enjoy it
>>
>>66028575
The contrast between the noise and the light whimsical sounds, is consistent with the theme; of retaining a childlike innnocence in a scary world
>>
>>66028513
>People seem to think you need to say this is their number 1 album to increase their cred or something

Or you could just legitimately like it the most, right?

Seems weird people on /mu/ would like things for reasons other than boosting their """indie cred""", doesn't it?
>>
>>66028691
You have been on /mu/ before right?
>>
File: 1461992514979.jpg (72 KB, 1200x839) Image search: [Google]
1461992514979.jpg
72 KB, 1200x839
>>66028691
>Seems weird people on /mu/ would like things for reasons other than boosting their """indie cred"""
>>
>>66028534
Hollinndagain really does sound like The Gerogerigegege but lite
>>
>>66028686
Check out strawberry jam its the only one I've been able to listen to so far, 2nd song is really easy to jam to imo. Also pennydreadfuls on OP was the first song I've dug so far. Honestly I think people need to give stuff more of a chance before they decide they don't like it. I only like one song on my favorite bands album the first way through. Sure there's an argument to be made that it's "better" if it is easier to get into, but in my experience it can be really rewarding.
>>
Try Chocolate Girl

Besides Spirit They've Vanished and the Untitled 3rd track, the only earrape is in the intros to april and alvin row.

The noise adds quite a bit to the emotional character of the album, and serves to contrast with the majority of the song, which are basically nostalgic, melodic, bu still a bit disturbing psych-pop.

If you can get past the initial ugliness, this album really grows on you. It has a reputatuon for being off-putting, but it's actually quite pretty most of the time.
>>
>>66028720
fishmans long boots old meme :^)
>>
>>66028896
So five minutes I'm guessing?
>>
>>66028957
he's not wrong though
>>
>>66028686
What have you listened to from them?
>>
>>66028470
It's kind of surrealist in a way, with the juxtaposition of things like noise and pop. I think the songs that actually have a lot of the noise (STV, Untitled, Alvin Row) are the songs that express the most of the albums subject matter, and contribute sort of soundscapes, as much as I don't really like that term
>>
>>66029063
feels and post merriweather pavilion
>>
>>66029157
What sort of music do you like? I think you should definitely try Strawberry Jam and Sung Tongs

And eventually listen to HCTI, their best imo
>>
>>66029157
Their albums are quite different, so it's definitely worth trying the others if you still wanna get into them. Sung Tongs was their first album that really clicked with me,
>>
>>66028470
A few years ago, when I thought this was the greatest album of all time, I interpreted it as representing the painfulness of looking back on childhood memories, knowing that you'll never return to that place, but you also can't look away because they're so beautiful, and that the music reflects this because you feel like you should stop listening because of what is happening to your ears, but the music is so beautiful that you can't turn away despite the slight pain. The funny thing is, I feel like the album Feels depicts them actually having retained that at the closing chapter of their youth, and treat it with a sense of humility because they know how fleeting it is. The rolling piano crescendos at the end of Turn Into Something definitely feel like the final page of a book being closed, or the last light on the horizon after a sunset slowly disappearing.
>>
>>66028470
Some people find the noise segments really enjoyable, like me. If it bothers you that much, just lower the volume until it's over. Don't assume an artist has to cater to your musical preferences.
>>
>>66030985
I'm not assuming anything. I'm giving my thoughts on an album and asking the community why they like it so much.
>>
I don't mind noise usually but the noise in Spirit is very eargrating. Merzbow would be more pleasing to listen.
>>
>>66031154
I can't take you seriously if you stop the album after the beginning of the second song to ask that.
>>
File: 1377051591764.jpg (70 KB, 634x476) Image search: [Google]
1377051591764.jpg
70 KB, 634x476
>>66030942
>>
>>66032021
K
>>
File: 037.gif (1 MB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
037.gif
1 MB, 500x364
>>66028751
>>66029218
OP here. Strawberry Jam was a fucking amazing album. I'm going to have to listen to more of their stuff. 10/10
>>
Baby's first pseudo noise album
>>
>>66032235
I'm glad you liked it, it really is great

>>66032280
It isn't even noise. It's noise pop at most, but I'd call it neo-psych with noise influence
>>
>>66028470
Turn down the volume.
>>
>>66028470
When I first listened to this I thought it was ear rape too. But over time it doesn't really bother my ears anymore. I think this represents how you look back on your childhood and you can never really remember exactly how bad you felt at your lows and only take away the highs.
>>
>>66028497
To contrast the beauty of the rest of the sounds, I thought it was obvious.
>>
>>66032314
Do you not know what pseudo means?
>>
the first track is bullshit desu

5 minutes long and the same fucking high-pitched whine w/ little variation

don't listen to these plebs try to rationalize it
>>
>>66028470
To cater to their "fans" who only like their earlier stuff because they think stuff like the "noise" sections are 2deep4u and liking 2deep4u stuff like their earlier stuff makes them patrician.

Just check out all their albums from SJ to MPP they are actually well made unlike the overrated trash that's their early album.

People who think early AnCo is good don't know jack shit about music and think a drugged out person messing with random sounds on a DAW is masterpiece material.
>>
>>66032704
>To cater to their "fans" who only like their earlier stuff

...it was their first album
>>
>>66032704
>>66032736
maybe he was talking about it being rereleased? or maybe he is a retard
>>
>>66032736
>implying pretentious college kids wouldn't start with making an album that would cater to idiots
At this point one does hope everyone is ironic about liking early AnCo here like 4chan posters are normally about things...
>>
>>66032830
>I don't like it, therefore anyone who does must be pretending to

I don't know why I come here sometimes
>>
The noise makes it better tbhfam
>>
>>66032830
look i just know what i like in music and early anco in general >>> later anco
>>
>>66028720
the narwhal bacons at midnight :^)
>>
>>66032870
Yeah. I wonder, too. You sound pretty new here and have no clue what this convo's really about.

>>66032898
So you don't know shit. Of course such plebness is to be had with someone with an opinion like that. Gimmicks do help ADDfags pay attention to the music more than masterful songwriting after all.
>>
File: 1415107758816.jpg (67 KB, 452x452) Image search: [Google]
1415107758816.jpg
67 KB, 452x452
>>66032704
>I like my music to be more accessible and anybody who doesn't is pretentious
>>
>>66032587
Yes, and it doesn't fit dumbass. There is genuine noise in the album, but it's only an element of the music as a whole
>>
>>66033083
>thinks just surface level gimmicks apply to accessibility of music and not the in-depth aspects of composition
Bach is a good example. Surface level his works are accessible, but beyond that there's a ton of depth.
>>
File: garbage (34).jpg (36 KB, 555x640) Image search: [Google]
garbage (34).jpg
36 KB, 555x640
>>66028575
I really like animal collective, merriweather is up there on my top albums list, but I just can't get behind the noise on spirit very much at all.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.