[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't Americans understand drum and bass? Whenenever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
Why don't Americans understand drum and bass?

Whenenever I'm at a set and a D&B song gets dropped everyone stops moving and just looks around confused. If I'm at a "festival" the D&B acts, if there even are any which is rare, never have much of a crowd.

I've never been to Europe but from what I've heard it's pretty huge over there. I wonder what the disconnect is here in the states.
>>
Michigander here. Yeah, it sucks.
>ywn hear a jungle DJ set in London in 93
>>
Our electronic fans are all big house shitters
>>
>>66012938
>implying 'mericans understand any type of electronic music that isn't mainstream EDM or """dubstep"""
>>
>>66013501
pretty much this, OP. as a nation you're extraordinarily ignorant of the larger scope of dance music. it's rare and far-between that a burger has actually done their research

i say this as a brit though so i suppose it is easy to take for granted since our club culture and dance music is so deeply ingrained into music as a whole here
>>
>>66012938
I'm a Canadian and D&B is my favorite genre, so I can absolutely relate to that feel.

It sucks.

>tfw Dom & Roland, Klute, Cern, Calibre et al. will never tour in Quebec
>>
>>66012938
>>66013400
>>66013467
>>66013501
>>66013544
>>66013578
just so you all know; d&b officially died in 2001 with the advent of liquid

and jungle + breakbeat will always be the best
>>
>>66012938
It's a different fucking world across the pond. Electronic music never really developed here. Raves were barely a thing until the very late 90s and the police immediately cracked down hard on them. Nobody I know really even recognized dance music outside of one or two pop songs until around 2008. And even then, it's just that really fucking watered down brand of progressive house or american shitstep.

It's fucking hell.
>>
>>66012938

It strikes me as similar to soccer, where it's big everywhere else in the world but murica just doesn't get it for some reason.

I went to EDC one year and the basspod stage, which is where all the bass acts would play, was interesting to watch throughout the night. MASSIVE crowds would fill the space for a trap guy, then all but like 10% would clear out for the drum & bass guy who was next.
>>
>>66013578

That's the worst part. We never get to hear live D&B acts because nobody here gives a shit so they never tour. I live in LA and I haven't even been able to find a sort of "D&B night" anywhere.
>>
>>66013968
I'm from Montreal myself and, to my knowledge, there are no D&B nights here either. I barely know what it sounds like in a club setting.

Worst part for me is seeing how people can rave about brostep stuff around here, but have no reaction when they hear a drum & bass track or even some legit dubstep.
>>
>>66013915
that's because america is fucking stupid
>>
>>66014217

It's so great live. Growing up I went to a lot of hardcore shows and D&B is really the only electronic music that captures a similar energy for me. I actually have a metalhead friend that really hated electronic music. I took him to see dirtyphonics before they were shit and Andy C and he was hooked.
>>
u guys sound so stupid

how can you even be this pretentious abt drum n bass hahaha

its not even that great
>>
>>66014217
I feel your pain bro, I used to live in Calgary and the scene there is pretty developed. D&B shows are the greatest and lots of fun.

I was hoping montreal had even more since its more cultural, but nothing at all so far.
>>
>>66016503

>wanting to include others in your favorite music is pretentious

Literally what.
>>
>>66016503
Nothing pretentious about what we've said.

And it is great if you dig deeper than popular YouTube channels.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.