[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unpopular /mu/ opinions.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 10
File: Unpopular-Opinion.jpg (64 KB, 511x390) Image search: [Google]
Unpopular-Opinion.jpg
64 KB, 511x390
Post em /mu/.

>Loveless is the most overrated album on this entire board
>I enjoy pop punk music, but there is a lot of shit in the genre
>there is nothing wrong with "angsty" music
>Hip Hop music is right now at an all time high in terms of popularity, sounds, experimentation and talented artists
>Swans are incredibly inaccessible, I cant understand why people like them at all. (I don't dislike them, just can't see the appeal)
>Spoon are incredibly underrated and one of the best bands of the past 20 years
>Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge is a flawless, underrated album. It should be considered a modern classic
>>
>>65968121
>Hip Hop music is right now at an all time high in terms of popularity
correct
everything else is wrong
>>
>>65968143
Opinions can't be wrong though anon.
>>
File: tumblr_nuxp9buKMt1qd5mq1o1_250.gif (43 KB, 250x238) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuxp9buKMt1qd5mq1o1_250.gif
43 KB, 250x238
>>65968121
>Loveless is the most overrated album on the entire board
>>
>>65968175
I personally think it is. Never have I seen an album posted in such frequency. People talk about it more than any other big /mu/core artist. More than Kanye, Bowie, AnCo, Swans etc.
>>
Radiohead are okay at best.
>>
>>65968227
I love their music, but I understand why people aren't too keen on them.
>>
>>65968227
>>65968254
i think it's partially because their early albums were so influential that other modern pop artists' copying the sound makes radiohead sound... idk, average?

i mean most of the copycats did it with less experimentation and... worse, but it detracts from the music a lot. It doesn't help that they didn't variate too too much past kid a
>>
>>65968143
in comparison to every other genre op is right lol
>>
>>65968329
>It doesn't help that they didn't variate too too much past kid a
What do you mean? Kid A is vastly different from the rest of their later albums. AMSP doesn't sound anything like TKOL. HTTT is probably the closest it gets to maybe IR. And even then it's still not at all a carbon copy.

I still personally love Amnesiac the most. I think it's underrated in their discography.
>>
>>65968121
i agree w u on hip-hop and angsty music, here's mine

>"sjws" and feminists are probably making music communities/the industry better more than worse, and anti-PC memes have basically ruined this board and most of 4chan (i guess i shouldn't be surprised seeing as most people on here started on /b/)

>TPAB was the best album of 2015

>godspeed you! black emperor is overrated. their climaxes are almost always the most interesting parts of their songs, and their atmospheric/crescendo sections are not nearly as nuanced or musically interesting as the best post-rock bands

>death grips fell off quite a bit after NOTM

>oblivion access was disappointing

>run the jewels is el-p's worst work

>blank banshee and other vaporwave-'dance' or trap music fusions are mostly bland

that's all i can think of rn
>>
File: tumblr_n3aabrCq0b1r14975o1_250.gif (70 KB, 250x190) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3aabrCq0b1r14975o1_250.gif
70 KB, 250x190
>>65968121
>music began with Satie
>HUWD is the best dreampop album of all time (Bonus: it isn't rated much because insecure people don't want to associate themselves with le car commercial song)
>Cocteau Twins are a top 3 90's act
>Scaruffi is a scared, lonely old man
>Birth of a New Day is the most important artistic statement of 2015
>Black women are treated unjustly in society because they are by their nature less aesthetically appealing, but there are no significant genetic differences in intelligence or personality between the races
>The following artists are actually really good: Explosions in the Sky, Porter Robinson, Carole King, Telefon Tel Aviv, Hammock, and the Postal Service
>Bjork's Debut as an album is unlistenable due to it's eurobeat influences, though certain songs, like Like Someone in Love, are among the best in her discog
>the Radio Dept are the closest the music form has come to distilling the essence of a Miyazaki movie
>Steve Reich is brilliant, Philip Glass is a hack
>Every form of music should have the dynamic restraint of Talk Talk's Laughing Stock
>>
>>65968464
>death grips fell off quite a bit after NOTM
I haven't even listened to it much compared to their other work, and I think Bottomless Pit is vastly superior. It's in my AOTY list so far.
>sjws" and feminists are probably making music communities/the industry better more than worse
How so?
>>
>>65968470
Just because you are a closet racist doesn't mean black women aren't attractive. Go back to pol
>>
>>65968470
>HUWD
Thanks. I'm going to have to check this out now.
>>
File: 1982.jpeg.jpg (95 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1982.jpeg.jpg
95 KB, 600x600
Spandau Ballet, ABC, Eurythmics, Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, are good.
>>
>>65968464
>>65968121
lotta good points

>the only good CSNY songs are neil youngs songs
>the 70s were a better decade of music than the 60s
>there is not a single objectively/wholly bad decade for music, including the 2010s
>there is still a capability for a guitar music/rock record to have a lasting emotional impact and be remembered in 20 years
>bottomless pit was a very bad and bland album
>car seat headrest is one of the best modern musicians
>death cab for cutie has two amazing albums and a couple other really solid ones
>fantano is good for someone who is getting into music but once a certain level of maturity is reached there is no need to pay any attention to him
>while drake and kanye are the two biggest names in rap and most culturally important rappers, future and young thug have much more of a musical influence on rap
>lyrics contribute to the enjoyment/resonance of an album
>>
>>65968121
rap and country and pop are really bad
>>
>>65968644
>there is not a single objectively/wholly bad decade for music, including the 2010s
Good opinion. Even if there were to be a "worst" decade you'd find hundreds of good to great albums.
>>
>>65968644
>future and young thug have much more of a musical influence on rap
While I enjoy both of these artists, it does kind of frustrate me at their sheer popularity right now. They rely on the same thing over and over and people still lap it up. These artists aren't trying to reach high acclaim in the hip hop world. Their number one priority is to create catchy, memorable money making bangers. Most of them are about drugs, lean, alcohol and partying. It gets pretty old after a while and it's why I can only sometimes listen to it. I don't see trap as a subgenre of hip hop with a lot of life left in it. I give it five years more, tops. Unless something major changes in terms of sound and lyrical content.
>>
>>65968495
i've noticed a lot of reviews cite bottomless pit as a combination of everything they've done before on one album -- to me that means it's less distinctive, more recycled and overall less interesting. it doesn't feel as alien as NOTM, as aggressive or emotionally resonant as NLDW, as punchy and poppy as TMS -- it does everything at once and not as well

also i think it's generally great that music is becoming a more accepting arena -- the increasing prevalence of praise of black music in music criticism is more reflective of the fact that those voices are less silenced now and not of the fact that sites like pitchfork or tmt are handing out free passes to black (and female) artists. also as someone who goes to a lot of shows i've noticed a general improvement in crowd quality w more liberal leaning crowds-- that's not to say those shows aren't aggressive but people respect who showed up first being up front, picking ppl up in mosh pits, etc... i've been to shows in the past where women were threatened with violence if they didn't let immature hypebeasts push past them to get closer to the front, or where female performers were sexually harassed and jeered at to the point of leaving the stage.
>>
>>65968545
I don't have to prove my leftist credentials to you.

I should've specified, black women in the US. Black women in France , at least from what I've seen, are quite aesthetically appealing. It's just that black women in the US are not seen as attractive to non-black men, for some good reasons and some bad ones.
>>
>>65968121
I agree with everything but Swans and Loveless. Though Swans aren't that great, and Loveless is overrated.
>>
>>65968677
I also remember being in middle school
>>
>>65968771
>i've been to shows in the past where women were threatened with violence
I hate to sound skeptical, but I've been to a few shows, of all different kinds of music, and this has never happened to me ever.

I'm far from liberal so I can't really relate to you at all. I'm not a /pol/ user either so I'm not going to just dismiss you either. Do with that what you will.
>>
>>65968470
>mfw all these hot takes

>>65968644
the dcfc albums are Plans and Translatlantacism, yes?
You're right about csny and fantano.
>>
>>65968771
That's what got me about BP .... the production is the best it's ever been but i don't feel a whole lot listening to it... i need more emotional resonance from them

>reflective of the fact that those voices are less silenced now

i feel like it's overcompensating for the past in part... exploiting womens' sexuality and taking vengence for black people... not that you're wrong but idk.

the thing about helping people who fall in the pit is great though
>>
>>65968851
I think it's overrated not because I think it's bad music, but people on here hype it up so much and post it so damn often that I just get so sick of seeing that same album cover on here dozens of times a day. You could come here only once a day and you'll still find it in several threads.

I don't really like it either so I guess that comes into it. I've listened to it about 10 times and it still doesn't do anything for me.
>>
>>65968870
i go to a lot of shows, sometimes even for artists i'm not particularly into, and i assure you i have seen that happen. the fact that you're skeptical of that says to me that things are getting better as of late, which was my point in the first place
>>
>>65968899
>I've listened to it about 10 times
try listening to it 40 times over the next year maybe it'll sink in
>>
>>65968898
>>65968771
It sucks that you guys can't get into BP. I kind of lost interest in Death Grips for a while but this just brought me back to what I love about them. It's probably tied with The Impossible Kid by Aesop Rock for me.
>>
>>65968929
>40 times
>listening to an album I don't like 40 times
I've already listened to it 10 times. For me, it should've caught on in at leas the first two or three listens, even four.

I even like Blonder Tongue Audio Baton a lot more than I ever have Loveless. That being said, I haven't given up yet. I do hope to one day enjoy Loveless as much as everyone else on here seems to.
>>
>>65968934
lol it's still at least an 8/10

it's just not something i'll put on when i'm drunk and depressed like jenny death or when i want to feel like i can do anything and nothing matters like with exmilitary or monesy store... still love it it's just not near and dear to me...
>>
>>65968964
lol there was a big thread a while back where some guy baited saying he did that with loveless... good times
>>
>>65968683
yeah there was a thread the other day about favorite artists from each decade and the fact that some people were unable to name a similar artist from the 2010s they liked is just ignorant. there is just so much music from each decade its impossible for there to not be something good
>>65968736
i happen to like young thug a lot more than future just because i like his contained weirdness. i just noticed a lot of new rappers coming up are really basing their sounds entirely off those two: melancholic, dark trap beats with intelligible lyrics about drug use. guys like kodak black and lil yachty who arent as good or interesting as young thug or future
>>65968884
translatlantcism and we have the facts, tho plans is incredibly solid as well. fucking love we have the facts, title track is one of my favorite songs ever
>>
>>65968910
It doesn't really prove anything other than you're own experiences friend. But let's not get our own biases in the way here. I have no interest in discussing politics.
>>
>>65968898
i dunno if it's overcompensating for the past as much as it is when publications start to appreciate and pay attention to the vast amount of black and female artists who have something interesting to say in the 2010s (whom there are a lot of especially since it's becoming more popular to talk about their issues) it's hard for it NOT to look disproportionate

it's confusing to me that people accuse critics of getting too political when discussing stuff like lemonade or TPAB even though it's inherently political music -- and its expression of a frustrating shared human experience is likely to make it more emotionally complex and interesting than a solid garage rock record or something that doesn't express a timely or urgent message
>>
>>65968983
I don't really like numerically rating albums but hey, that's just me. If I enjoy something, I enjoy it. I feel like slapping a number on to it ruins it.
>>
>>65969006
Ah okay, fair enough. But yeah, I will try it again whenever I feel like it. I always give it a chance every few months when I feel like it, but it's never really clicked it with except one song, but even then I can't remember the track list for the life of me.
>>
>>65968934
i still like it but it just didn't blow me away with it's originality in the way most of their previous records did

i still need to finish impossible kid, i've never been a huge aesop rock fan but it seemed a lot better than skelethon
>>
>>65969059
hm... i guess it does in a way. idk this board has gotten me into the habit of ranking my favorite albums and artists for some reason... probably a habit that needs to be broken
>>
>>65969012
>from the 2010s
One could argue the 2010s have so far been a great decade for music. I certainly think it's been pretty damn amazing so far. There's still four years left of this decade and I personally think music is at a pretty good point overall. Besides streaming services of course, but hey, take the good with the bad.
>>
>>65969097
It's one of my main gripes about music criticism, or even criticism of music, film and tv in general.

Music should be critiqued sure, but putting a label on it like "4/10, 7/10, 9/10" seems to just put a dampener on it for me. It's like giving it this certain level of enjoyment, nothing more, nothing less.

Some of my favourite albums have particular parts, or even songs that aren't my favourite, but I'm not suddenly going to shit all over it just because of a few minor discrepancies.

I feel like this board overall puts way too much emphasis on rating an album instead of just enjoying it. That might sound stupid to you but I do. I'm not worried about critiquing music. I just want to go to my happy place when I listen to music.

That being said, of course I do analyse music when I listen to it, but not to the point where I feel like it's getting in the way of my enjoyment.
>>
>>65969089
A lot of people think Skelethon is underrated. I've still only really listened to TiK and Labor Days. In fact, Labor Days is up there with MBDTF. Just my personal opinion but I fucking LOVE Labor Days. I listened to Float once but I really need to listen to Aesop more.
>>
>Radiohead is mediocre at best
>Young thug is not a genius, all he does is scat over trap beats
>American football would be a great album without the vocals
>churches debut was a solid 8/10
>>
>>65969277
I think Thugger is more self aware than a genius. He's like Kanye in the sense that he knows how to market himself well in his own little niche.
>>
>>65969277
>American football would be a great album without the vocals
the only good math rock out there is instrumental
>>
>>65969308
>math rock
Wish I knew more math rock bands. I mostly listen to mathcore bands like TDEP, Norma Jean etc. Never really been able to get into Converge though unfortunately. I even tried Jane Doe but it was just so damn brutal that I couldn't get into it. Idk what it is.
>>
>>65969303
The only thing I've liked him on anything was good times, everything else just comes off as kind of boring, I mean I get the appeal but people praising him as a genius just baffles me
>>
>>65969387
I'm starting to think it's one of those jokes that got played out so much that people started to believe it. From what I've seen of him in interviews he looked pretty whacked out on drugs most of the time. Maybe he was just shy, or maybe a bit of both, who knows. I definitely don't think he's amazing though.

I enjoyed SS3 but a lot of the lyrical content was garbage.
>>
>>65968811
Nice racial bias asshole. I thought mu once one of the few boards without bigots. I'm willing to bet you are a white male too so your opinion really isn't valid anyway
>>
File: orton1.gif (1 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
orton1.gif
1 MB, 200x150
>All of the songs on Remain in Light just sound like Once in a Lifetime with minor variations
>I couldn't get into any of Can's later stuff but really particularly enjoyed Monster Movie
>I let album covers influence how much I want to listen to an album probably too much
>Love me a good cover of a schlockey 80s song
>>
>>65969461
>I'm willing to bet you are a white male too so your opinion really isn't valid anyway
Do people actually believe this is some kind of valid argument..
>>
Fedoras are a classy hatwear.

Frankie Sinatra is the song of the year.
>>
>>65969490
>I let album covers influence how much I want to listen to an album probably too much
I feel that. It doesn't help that album art also has it's fair share of trends that bands/artists start to follow and they all start to seem to parody each other.
>>
>Ariana Grande is actually really talented and her music is good
>Dubstep and EDM are shit on way too much on this board
>The Beetles were never good
>I don't understand why half the /mu/core albums are considered classic
>I'm probably too casual to browse /mu/
>>
>>65968644
>>the only good CSNY songs are neil youngs songs
This isn't a controversial opinion.
>>
>>65969514
(bait)
>>
>>65969611
I know it's bait.
>>
>>65968198
I agree with it being overrated
>>
>>65969514
When speaking on the appeal of minority groups they systematically oppressed, it's completely valid. He has no right to talk down to us if he is a white male, which I bet he is given his condescending remarks against people of color
>>
I don't know how people listen to a new album every single day of the week. Obviously not everyone on /mu/ does this, but I've spoken to my fair share on here that claim to listen to a different album that they've never heard every single day.

I can't do this. I'm lucky to find a dozen albums that I like enough to listen to on a regular basis. And I'm pretty happy with that. I want to listen to something I love. I don't ALWAYS want to be finding something new every single day.

I try to listen to as much music as I can, but sometimes I find myself jaded by the amount of music there is and I eventually find myself going back to music that I already know, love and enjoy.
>>
>>65969693
It wasn't condescending.

It's an uncomfortable possibility, but what if there were something fundamentally more aesthetically appealing about one set of physical features than another? And what if, due to that, there were societal injustices levied against the unfortunately-featured?
>>
Yeezus is my favorite Kanye album and Graduation is better than both The College Dropout and MBDTF imo.
>>
>>65969693
You realise this statement is racist within itself right?
>>
>>65969790
In terms of my own amount of listens to each album. I like Late Registration don't get me wrong, but something about it makes me rarely listen to it.

MBDTF>CD>Yeezus>Graduation>808s>TLOP>LR
>>
>>65968683
>>65969012
>>65969114
But can you name some great artists from the 2010s?
>>
>>65969056
it's confusing to me that people accuse critics of getting too political when discussing stuff like lemonade or TPAB even though it's inherently political music -- and its expression of a frustrating shared human experience is likely to make it more emotionally complex and interesting than a solid garage rock record or something that doesn't express a timely or urgent message

strong cosign
>>
>>65969894
Kanye West, Pusha T, Animal Collective, Jeff Rosenstock, The Dillinger Escape Plan, YG, Vince Staples, Earl Sweatshirt, Tame Impala, Arcade Fire, CunninLynguists, Danny Brown, Death Grips, Fiona Apple, Freddie Gibbs, Jack White, Jay Rock, Injury Reserve, Jonwayne, King Gizzard, Mac DeMarco, Radiohead, Run The Jewels, Shabazz Palaces, Spoon, Sturgill Simpson, Aesop Rock.

Just some of the artists I listen to that have released albums 2010 and onwards.
>>
>>65969786
They aren't fundamentally, they are subjectively less appealing to you because your white beauty standards and you can't even realize your own indoctrination. Again go back to pol if you can't get over this

>>65969792
You can't be racist to white people because they are in a position of societal power so sit down
>>
limp bizkit's first two albums are good fun
>>
File: 10outof10.jpg (88 KB, 600x456) Image search: [Google]
10outof10.jpg
88 KB, 600x456
Muse is an amazing band
>>
>>65970069
>You can't be racist to white people because they are in a position of societal power so sit down
The president of the most powerful country in the world is black. Please, just stop this god awful nonsense.
>>
>>65970075
ROLLIN ROLLIN ROLLIN ROLLIN. I used to love their music. Yeah yeah the lyrics are pretty shit but it was fun to listen to.
>>
>>65970086
I need to listen to them more. I always loved Knights of Cydonia on Guitar Hero. I still think it's a god tier song.
>>
>>65969894
alex g, bomb the music industry, iceage, car seat headrest, german error message, the hotlier, hop alog, titus andronicus, mount eerie, sun kil moon, father john misty, ari solus, beach house, teen suicide, pinegrove, celer, young thug, jeremy engk
>>
>>65970086
I don't think they're amazing but Origin of Symmetry is fucking amazing
>>
>>65968771
I was really ambivalent about Bottomless Pit. It felt like they were just repeating themselves and while they did that on Jenny Death, I was okay with it because I was under the illusion that Jenny Death was their swan song. Overall I think I'd respect the group as a whole more if they ended there.
>>
>>65970217
>>65970146
Give Hullabaloo a shot. Severely underrated but very good, like if OoS was toned down from 11 to 5
>>
>>65970193
You could name hundreds upon hundreds, even more than ever before considering it's so much easier to discover music with the internet, YouTube and music streaming services.
>>
>>65970250
Thanks anon.
>>65970246
I'll probably just end up downloading their entire discography.
>>
>>65970091
That's the same as saying "oh I have a black friend I'm not racist!"

Obama is just a face and nothing more, hand picked to make people feel better but we are still an oppressed minority dying everyday due to white supremacy. The responses ITT are enough to prove that caucazoidal heirarchy is alive and well
>>
>>65970287
I'm just going to go ahead and let you know this is the last response you're getting from me. It's sometimes too hard to tell whether people are trying to bait people into responding or not. Enjoy yourself.
>>
>>65970336
Why'd you delete and repost?
>>
>>65968121
>>Swans are incredibly inaccessible, I cant understand why people like them at all. (I don't dislike them, just can't see the appeal)
It's okay anon, they're not for everyone
>>
Kanye West is a genius, the only problem is he knows it.
>>
>>65968121
Electro Swing ain't bad.

A lot of the people who like it are, but it ain't bad.
>>
>>65970454
I only ever had their greatest hits album. This was when I was a teenager. Haven't really listened to them since I was probably 17 or 18 or so. 22 now.
>>
>>65970551

the greatest hits album only has two songs from their debut, I think, it has a really hard sound to it, kind of like early Korn/Swans mixed in with Rage Against The Machine and Ween I think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgL2stgsezI
>>
>>65970612
Cheers mate.
>>
>>65969713
i usually do maybe 2 or 3 every week....

when you listen to a lot of music in a lot of genres you start to crave more and different and extreme and your standards go up.... still got just a few to love and come back to of course though... of course
>>
I unironically enjoy Imagine Dragons
>>
>>65972408
only one in the thread that made me annoyed

gg
>>
File: trigger.gif (1 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
trigger.gif
1 MB, 250x250
>>65972408
>>
>>65972408
It's Time is their only good song mate
>>
File: 1463262865468.jpg (15 KB, 316x202) Image search: [Google]
1463262865468.jpg
15 KB, 316x202
>>65969277
>>
The White Stripes were the best and most consistent band of the 2000s
>>
i dont give a shit about shoegaze
>>
>>65968414
>Amnesiac

My nigga
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.