[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guitar 101
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: worst_guitarist_evr.jpg (83 KB, 470x667) Image search: [Google]
worst_guitarist_evr.jpg
83 KB, 470x667
Any good tips or advice for beginning guitar players? Techniques I should practice, mistakes I shouldn't make, etc?
>>
>>65864231
Don't rely on tabs - they're just a crutch that will slow your progress in the long run. Learn to read standard notation instead.

Learn your scale and arperggio construction inside out. Don't fall for the 'I don need no stinkin theory' meme.
>>
let me get Chris' pasta
>>
>>65864345
oh we can't

well

learn your C major scale

learn it in seven different shapes, you can research that yourself

learn the diatonic chords of the C major scale

so C Major , D Minor etc.

then the seventh chords of these

C maj 7 D min 7 E min 7

etc.

Then the arpeggios of these chords

in there different positions

also learn to sequence these shapes

and it would be good if you were learning to read the musical notes while playing the C major scale, it'll save you time

This will take you a while

and you repeat this for other scaels (natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor, Neapolitan major and minor etc.)

also learn chord arrangements like ii-v-i and I dunno i-v-iv- vii

by now you're pretty good and can start learning chord substitution, chord extensions, triplets, re-harmonisation

that should keep you busy,

but start with C major
>>
>>65864544
>>65864332
Thank you anons.
>>
>>65864332
This, but try learning stuff by ear as well once you know the basic chord shapes and stuff. Its not as hard as it sounds, and it will make writing stuff easier once you get comfortable enough with your instrument.
>>
New fag that wants to learn to play acoustic here.

Where should I go to read about the absolute basics of guitar?
>>
>>65865394
Justinguitar i guess
>>
>>65864231

Having the action on your acoustic guitar is usually a common problem.

Warm up before you play.

Learn how to play both fingerstyle and with a pick.

There's a lot of stuff out there, and you get a deeper experience if you spend some time to diversify.
>>
Depending on what kind of music you are writing getting extremely good might not matter. Just develop perfect timing, feel, and be able to play different styles. Memorize all the notes, the major scale, and chord theory. That's it. If you're trying to be amazing then good luck but it's frustrating, hard, and be ready to practice for 7 hours daily for about 5-8 years. You will get better naturally with time either way if you play everyday.
>>
>>65864332
Yeah, this.

I'm a bassist and I hate playing with guitarists who don't know basic music theory. If you plan on playing with other people, you need to at least be able to identify which key you're playing in.

Theory isn't hard. Reading standard musical notation isn't hard. Both are quite easy once you get into them and they're incredibly useful.
>>
>>65865445
Looks good. Thanks familia.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.