[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you agree that a lot of music can only be appreciated by people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1464239690253.jpg (37 KB, 524x468) Image search: [Google]
1464239690253.jpg
37 KB, 524x468
Do you agree that a lot of music can only be appreciated by people who also play music.
>>
>>65858040
I used to play music, and no, you don't have to play music to truly appreciate it.
>>
absolutely. makes me feel shitty sometimes bc i know im missing amazing subtle shit when listening to certain genres even though i enjoy them a lot as a pleb.
>>
>>65858040
I ask as someone who finds jazz music disinteresting and pointless and I always had the idea that it was because I didn't I play any instruments.
>>
I am a classically trained musician and I thoroughly believe I get much more out of music/understand it much better when I listen to it than someone who doesn't play an instrument.
>>
>>65858127
I imagine the effect is larger for instruments you can play versus ones you don't
>>
>>65858040
black dice
>>
>>65858040
I think it can be appreciated by non-musicians. By people who do actually play music certainly appreciate it the most overall.

Immediately after I picked up an instrument, I started realising how boring some songs really were.
>>
>>65858212
It is larger on instruments you're better at but doesn't diminish it for other ones. I'm a trombonist but can still appreciate the intricacies/nuances of a jazz saxophone solo.
>>
Can a person who doesn't play sports enjoy watching them?

All music can be appreciated by non-musicians; however, obviously people with trained ears or experience with instruments or composition will be able to hear nuances the untrained listener would miss. That doesn't mean the non-musician is literally incapable of enjoying or appreciating it
>>
my lack of theoretical and practical knowledge of music theory and performance has really been fucking with me lately
my listening experiences are starting to feel shallow and one-dimensional and a bit unsatisfying, like i can't completely grasp this stuff because i don't have much of a grip on how it's actually produced

it blows my mind that so many established music critics people look to for their opinions don't know the first thing about music theory or how to play an instrument, it blows my mind that anyone can take them seriously with that in mind
>>
>>65859425

It's because art critics (of all mediums, not just music) contribute absolutely nothing, and it is utterly pointless to ever put any weight in their critiques, no matter their credentials, except to compare them to your own opinion which was formed without them
>>
>>65858689
I like that pessimistic tangent you were going on at the end. What are some bands you used to like before you started playing an instrument that you no longer enjoy? Shit like Swans and most indie / alt / underground whatever shit actually seems really fucking bland and juvenile in terms of composition, but that's just what I gather from merely listening as I have no musical knowledge or training of my own.
>>
Appreciating music is all up to the beholder. Anyone can like a song for whatever reason they want even if it seems fucking retarded to someone else. The only time that's really a contestable point is when you get into if someone "truly is appreciating it", and then it just becomes arbitrary. I could make the argument that no one but the composer could "truly appreciate" a piece.
>>
no, get a clue. All people are fans of all music.
>>
sounds like some elitism bullshit invented by certain musicians with a superiority complex so that they can feel better than everyone who doesn't play music. but yeah, sure. whatever.
>>
>>65858084
he's not saying all music, he's saying there is some music that can only be truly appreciated by musicians
>>
>>65859237
But let's say something like a violin
>>
>>65859671
Yeah I definitely recognize uncreative songwriting now and it's turned me off of a lot of recent indie music. In particular I hate stuff like car seat headrest. It's worth noting that simple compositions can still make great, interesting music.

I think my favorite song of all time is Kerosene by Big Black, and when I started to play guitar I realized that 90% of the song is just one power chord moving around. Furthermore if you play in Dropped D tuning you're literally playing it with just a single finger. Didn't change anything, because it's just such a good song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKkUk7g0hR8
>>
>>65858040
i feel like this goes both ways though

some music is hard to digest if you're well-versed in production/composition/a particular instrument. you start to nitpick flaws and that can limit you
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.