[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people like progressive rock? Please explain.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: 157820.jpg (393 KB, 1500x1489) Image search: [Google]
157820.jpg
393 KB, 1500x1489
Why do people like progressive rock? Please explain.
>>
why do people like music? please explain
>>
>>65840923
It can be advanced as classical or some metal but listenable as rock or pop. It's the ultimate music when done right, senpai.
>>
>>65841476
this. probably the most artistic genre too
>>
>>65840923
Prog rock is the most inteligent of genres, i understand why a low IQ individual would inquire such foolishnes, but for a high level intelectual like me, prog rock is the only type of music that can stimulate my superior mind, their higly intricate melodies, complex rhythms and harmonies that seems to be forwarded by "god" himself (i put god under quotation marks because god doesnt exist, its just an expression) are what musical erudites like me ise for what you call entertainment.
Well, thats what methinks anyways
>>
>>65841734
>75% of it (if not more) is just pointless jamming that relies more on technical ability than actual good songwriting
>"the most artistic genre"
You make me laugh anon
>>
Because it sounds trippy when high
>>
>>65841797
go back to the kpop thread
>>
>>65841970
>point out the problem of your mostly shitty genre
>y-you're only here for the kpop threads!
Can prog rock fans even give a decent explanation as to why their genre is good?
>>
They can't into jazz or classical
>>
>>65841783
you're trying too hard
>>
>>65842087
Most prog fans love jazz or classical
>>
>>65840923
It's the most ambitious rock genre, even the derivative modenr groups are more exciting than typocal indie rock that gets overhpyed here
>>
Cuz its fun and i like the sounds they make.
>>
>>65841797
yeah but jazz is just pointless jamming too and it seems to be the only genre of popular music that people discuss along side art music
>>
>>65842509
there is no way you could possibly know this
>>
>>65844057
I don't care for jazz either, but at least it has a nice sound. I can't listen to Yes for more than 5 second without getting a migraine.
>>
I like the long compositions and fantasy themes. I also enjoy when music is used as an art form instead of just vapid nonsense. Prog artists are generally more serious about the musicality of the compositions, and often try to find different and original methods in instrumentation and song format.
>>
jazz for plebs
>>
File: image.jpg (173 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
173 KB, 450x450
>>65844102
I recommend pic related. Not all prog is just guitar wankery, you just have to search for your type.
>>
>>65842549
This. Also it has a lot going on. I fall asleep listening to Sleep (huh, I wonder why?), but prog rock will generally keep me occupied. It doesn't just drone on like some music does.
Not that that's a bad thing. I'm listening to Dopesmoker right now.
>>
They starting lurking here very very recently and have yet to outgrow it. Prog is wank.
>>
>>65844102
"Yeah but at least Yes has a nice sound. I can't listen to jazz for 5 minutes without getting a migraine."

You see how vapid this "criticism" is? You can't bash on stuff for being based on improvised jamming and then go back on it by saying "yeah but this other example of the thing I don't like is somehow better because I'll look like a pleb if I don't respect it."

Not to mention there's plenty of prog that has strong songwriting and doesn't involve lengthy jams. I'd say even Yes, at least on Fragile and Close to the Edge, is generally just well-constructed pop. The songs move from one place to another, sure, but it's a far cry from jazz, which generally emphasizes soloing and only features a simple, catchy theme and the beginning and end of a track.
>>
I'm with you OP. Usually I dislike long tracks that just build up with wankery instead of rewarding the listener with an enjoyable experience.

But King Crimson and Yes are the only prog rock bands that disprove that statement.

Fuck Pink Floyd.
>>
File: 1418774834354.jpg (20 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1418774834354.jpg
20 KB, 640x480
>>65845341
>Fuck Pink Floyd
>>
>>65845290
I clearly said that the reason I don't like most prog rock and jazz was because of improv, I didn't go back on anything. I only find jazz bearable because the way they play is mellow most of the time so it makes for decent background music, but not something I can focus on and enjoy. Yes doesn't have that, Anderson's voice is one of the most irritating things I've heard and all the other instrumentation is trying to stand out from each other, which turns the whole thing into a big mess.

Also, good job fucking up my quote.
>>
**tips**

>my taste in music is more intellectual
>>
>>65845470
I was paraphrasing and flipping it the other way because what you said how no substance or thought put into it either way. I still stand by my statement that there's a lot more to prog than wanky improvisation and there are a lot more bands out there than just Yes and KC. I don't really like Jon Anderson's voice either, but I've always loved CttE in spite of this. Dismissing an entire genre because you've heard a few bands and "it giv me hedache" seems a little silly, though. Especially when it's just fucking pop-prog like Yes.
>>
>>65845488
My baby-boomer, Rolling Stones-listening parents owned Yes records back in the day. It's not like this shit was ever obscure.
>>
>>65845558
I don't hate the entire genre, there are a few good bands, but there are a lot of bad ones and they seem to be the biggest influence. I'll admit that Yes was just an example of a band that I REALLY can't stand. Most prog bands aren't that bad, just really boring.
>>
>>65840923
Honestly? Because it's musically interesting.

Good that you bought up King Crimson!

One of my favourite songs of theirs is Frame By Frame, with this leading guitar riff played in two parts. One guitar is playing the same melody, with the other playing a variation that's one beat short; resulting in this ongoing modulation where each note of the melody ends up harmonizing with each successive note from the same melody played out-of-synch.

It's a subtle little twist, but it is so damn pleasing to have the riff intertwine with itself in such a fashion. It's different and it's clever, it's not difficult to listen to and it's subtle enough to not throw you off as you try to follow it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrXgcp01JaI

(The chap on the classic guitar is Robert Fribb. Notice the complete stoicism as he's storming through an incredible run of 1/16 notes. Cracking guitarist)

That's one artist though. Something I love about bands like Mars Volta or Tool (among others) is their capacity to match a change in tone throughout a song, which would ordinarily be achieved by chord changes alone, with shifts in time signatures and/or tempo. Sure, playing louder and shifting up a few notches in a chord sequence brings about a climactic point to a song just fine; but there's always the same consistent beat underneath that never ebbs or wavers. Having that beat match the lead melody or even match two parts of a song at the same time is really interesting.

https://youtu.be/_tcW-j7KFgY?t=290 from 4:50 onwards is a really nice example of this. Notice how the different parts of the drumbeat match the different lines being played by the bass and guitar, then are brought into a more concise whole as the remainder of the band start "meeting" for the final bit.

There are plenty of styles and variations; I included Tool, King Crimson and Mars Volta because they're among the more "accessible" bands out there. Have fun!
>>
Because progressive Rock is a pretty huge genre with many different sounds and styles and even though it has it's cheesy side it is a strong genre
>>
>>65845790
Oh, my bad. Fripp is playing an electric. Falsely remembered bit of that video!
>>
>>65845682
Yeah, prog evolved into something very different in the late 70's and what I'd call it's "golden age" was pretty short, but there was a very good variety of prog in the late 60s and early 70s, and if you don't like the fruity, synthy ELP type stuff, for instance, there's always Soft Machine or Can. It's a very wide umbrella term, and I'd be surprised if there was absolutely nothing under the label that any given music fan couldn't appreciate.
>>
>>65845835
Krautrock is one of the best genres, Canterbury Scene is pretty good,, but shit like ELP is probably my least favorite thing to listen to
>>
>>65844092
The line between jazz fusion and prog isn't very big, most people into one ar einto the other.
>>
>>65845892
I picked up Brain Salad Surgery the other day cause I've heard it's their best. Returned it. I never return CD's.
>>
>>65847261
Did you get to Karn Evil 9?
>>
As with every single genre, it depends on who it is. The good prog bands are good and the bad prog bands are bad. One thing I know for sure though.

>>65845815
Fuck off Montie
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.