[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is one type of music genre that you tried to get into, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 20
File: images.jpg (13 KB, 187x270) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13 KB, 187x270
What is one type of music genre that you tried to get into, but just couldn't? Why?
>>
File: 1466410391890.jpg (443 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1466410391890.jpg
443 KB, 1280x1024
Death metal. I have tried and tried but I cannot do it. The growling shit vocals just fuck any merit an otherwise great piece would have. It sounds so bad.
>>
electroswing
>>
most genres of metal besides black and industrial
>>
I really want to understand why everyone likes Joy Division but I just can't stand everything about Unknown Pleasures
>>
Grindcore
I love the instrumental aspect but the vocals just absolutely ruin it for me like 99% of the time
Anyone know any good grind w/o vocals?
>>
Most classical music.
I do like some 19th and 20th century composer but the furether back it goes, the less I get it. Baroque music is completely lost on me. I just don't see what it is supposed to do.
>>
I suppose most "Indie folk" like Joanna Newsom, The Mountain Goats, NMH, and most other bands similar to them. I like indie rock but they just don't click for me. Same with Bob Dylan though he's tangentially related. I like freak-folk but can't get into plain folk.
>>
Classical. I don't know, orchestra and genius composer or not, without more creative interplay it just bores me.
>>
Noise
I like shoegaze, noise rock and noise pop so I imagined it'd click for me at some point

Nah, listening to that shit just makes me feel thoroughly unpleasant.
>>
>>65840901
Jazz and Black Metal

Jazz because it's all improv and not actual songwrting, so there's really nothing for me to get into.

Black Metal because, while I like metal music in general, black metal feels like a parody genre. Trying to be BRUTAL despite the fact that it sounds more like metal-influenced hardcore punk than actual metal. I'm fucking sick of blastbeats as well.
>>
>>65842532
What about Cattle Decapitiation or Murder Construct? Same vocalist for both bands but he's got breddy good voice imo
>>
>death grips
>metal
>50's rock and roll
>>
classical is such a behemoth of a genre i have a lot of trouble getting into it
also no wave just doest seem to click for me i just find it unpleasant (i liked filth though)
>>
Grindcore. It's just repulsing.
>>
>>65842691
I guess you dont like horror movies either.
or steven king.
>>
these threads just make me enjoy how much I've gotten out of these genres
>>
File: Merzbow-pulsedemon.jpg (47 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Merzbow-pulsedemon.jpg
47 KB, 350x350
Harsh noise because it hurts to listen to. Pic extremely related.
>>
k-pop. im kind of a weeb too so you'd think i'd like it but just... no
>>
>>65843076
Nobody actually likes this album, or even the genre. They listen to it because they like themselves for ""liking"" something so weird, so basically narcissism.
>>
Electronic. It just feels so empty and devoid of emotion of any kind.
>>
>>65843076
i like it cause it makes me feel like i'm being taken over by the noise... also after a while i feel like i'm in a completely altered state, like i've been possessed. never experienced this with any other genres. i appreciate how it doesn't ask politely to be heard, it demands to be heard and blasts its way into your head
>>
>>65842615
you have to convert to Christianity to truly appreciate baroque
>>
>>65843143
haaah
you wish
>>
>>65843306
It's true faggot
>>
>>65842993
I think a better comparison would be I don't like noise for similar reasons to why I don't like snuff films
>>
>>65842322

But caravan palace are wonderful
>>
>>65843225
I'm assuming you've already listed to most "IDM" artists, but if you haven't some stuff by Aphex Twin might change your mind. Listen to 4 and Flim because those are 2 of the most emotional songs I've ever heard in any genre.
>>
Indie rock and indie in general. It all just sounds like a high school band's first attempt at music. So amateurish and not in a good way.
>>
>>65843628
they're literally the only electroswing band i've been able to enjoy, besides a few Parov Stelar songs
>>
Dubstep
House
Techno
Garage
Breakbeat
Disco
Electro
>>
I seriously can't listen to any No Wave band other than early Swans.
Also, Harsh Noise hurts me.
>>
Industrial. I get it, it's just not appealing to me at all.
>>
>>65843233
But I am a practicing catholic already.
>>
File: 1458438964156.png (3 MB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
1458438964156.png
3 MB, 1400x1400
>>65840901
Electronic music. I can like it, but I always feel like it's so shallow. Especially if it has no lyrics. Pic related is the only electronic album I like (if you can even call it that), but it's a personal 10/10
>>
Hip hop
Rap
Metal
Cheesy hard rock like ACDC
Arena rock
Progressive rock
Techno
EDM

I literally only listen to Ween and Frank Zappa
>>
>>65844209
The whole "enjoying music" thing may not be for you then
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 357x313) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 357x313
>>65844235
I know
>>
>>65844261
not that guy anon, but with that list you just fall into the average non-newfag on here
>>
Most indie folk/pop like Sufjan Stevens and Animal Collective. I absolutely hate folk, the only folk band that I sort of like is Neutral Milk Hotel, but not that much.
>>
>>65844846

This. I've tried to get into Sufjan so hard but he's just so meh
>>
>>65844261
listen to jazz
>>
>>65842691
I'm the same way. There's a thrill in noise rock, but straight up noise is just boring
>>
>>65844168

>shallow

Rude.
>>
>>65840901
Most Hip-Hop. All of rap oriented stuff and most turntablism/instrumental hh.

I don't even hate it. I can dig one or two songs in a row, by Black Star, Cannibal Ox or Deltron, but trying to listen to a full album is totally boring for me. The monotony of the lack of tone variation in the main part of the song just puts me to sleep. Curiously enough thing that should bore me to death given this description (think Gas-Pop) actually is entrancing for me.
>>
>>65840901
>jpop
it overproduced, too marketed, and the japanese accent irks me quite quickly.
>kpop
it's like jpop but worse. I get it, the girls/ guys who sings and dance are cute as fuck, but I'm not young weeb anymore so idc.
>progrock
it's just boring & pointless.
>dubstep
it's a meme; there are more interesting genre in the electronic/EDM/IDM "genre".
>neofolk
boring, and i don't care about the religious/pagan themes.
>rap
they all sound similar; instrumental hip-hop is more interesting.
>>
90% of hip hop
>>
Harsh noise.

Why? Because it's not music in my opinion, it's just loud and grating sounds and I can't see how anyone can even pretend to enjoy it.
>>
Free Improvisation
I want to like it, but it all sounds like pretentious wank.

Does anyone have know of some good entry-level free improvisation?
>>
>>65845723

For once I agree with this man's usually shit taste. Why do you tripfag montie?
>>
>>65845723
>it's just loud and grating sounds and I can't see how anyone can even pretend to enjoy it.

This is literally Oasis though.
>>
>>65845803
Because I get reactions and plenty of (you)'s. Also my RYM gets attention.

>>65845897
No it's not you idiot
>>
>>65845944

So you're doing it to be an attention whore?
>>
>>65843143
quit projecting pleb
>>
Something about rock music in the 80's really puts me off. Not all that crazy about post-punk. I really like Once in a Lifetime (TH song), and I'm trying to give the rest of that album a chance. But most other stuff just doesn't do much for me.

>>65845762
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/various_artists_f2/improvised_music_from_japan/
I see this come up on charts sometimes.
>>
i dont like humor in music
like i can get the jokes but i never want to listen to "funny" music like ween or zappa
>>
>>65843230
I guess I can appreciate that aspect, but I've never been able to listen to noise for long periods of time because it feels like my ears are going to start bleeding.
>>
>>65845762
Taku Sugimoto, can't rec him enough
>>
>>65843225
Replica, oneohtrix point never
>>
>>65843225
I felt similar but chiptune served as a gateway into enjoying electronic.

Chiptune sounds simple but that's actually a strength in terms of giving good melodies some real staying power. You probably remember at least 2-8 songs from video games you played as a kid.

Especially considering recent releases, it's a relatively summer-y genre.
>>
Zeuhl, I just don't understand it
>>
>>65846258
Ive never believed these groups went out of their way to be funny. Ween is crushingly depressing. It's the realization that life is a complete fucking joke coupled with the occasional song that is uncharacteristically sobering and serious.
>>
>>65840901
If metal gets any heavier than 80's era Metallica I pretty much can't take it seriously even though I've tried really hard.
>>
>>65842322
Well that's understandable because it's inherently a shit genre
>>
>>65845723
Yes Montie, we all know you can't into experimental anything. Shouldn't you be on /r/music right now or something?
>>
>>65849482
Go listen to Houdini by the Melvins

>>65849263
It's prog on uppers. loses all the pretentious prog bullshit and trades out for ridiculous WHAT vocalics
>>
File: mort aux vauches.jpg (284 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
mort aux vauches.jpg
284 KB, 700x700
>>65845762
This album by Oren Ambarchi is really awesome and has a great atmosphere

Also Fenn O'Berg is really good
>>
>>65849482
>taking metal seriously
there's your problem anon
have some fun
>>
Nirvana. I don't know how fair a representation of grunge they are which is why I named them specifically. The drums are okay I guess, the bass is pretty simple, they don't care about guitar(Come As You Are has a good riff I guess) and they don't care about lyrics. The only place they really deliver is on emotion, but it's not expressed in any meaningful way.
>>
>>65849718
I don't really like Nirvana a whole lot but I think In Utero is a pretty great album overall. I really love how much messier it sounds. People always say Bleach is really good too but it kind of just sounds like a poppy Melvins ripoff to me at times. But Nevermind is pretty mediocre
>>
>>65843076
wtf is that it makes my eyes sting
>>
>>65842494
i saw joy division and really thought you were talking about these guys for a second

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCA5n2S3FLw
>>
>>65849718
Have you listened to and/or watched Unplugged in New York? I didn't care for them until I watched that full concert uncut and then it "clicked." Though I still don't care for everything they do.
>>
>>65849627
anon can't into fun
>>
>>65845762
I honestly feel like a lot of it is, but the thing I find enjoyable about it is watching the thought process unravel or reveal itself throughout the record. That sounds kind of like a banal statement but I think it's something that's easier to understand if you actually play music. Proabably the thing for me is just seeing the performer attempt to create a cohesive phrase outside the bounds of traditional musical phrasing. A lot of 20th century composers did this after they broke a way from tonality and had "less tools" to give their music coherence and I feel that a lot of this is reflected in modern free improvisation. Derek Bailey himself was very heavily influenced by Anton Webern iirc
>>
File: meliora.jpg (487 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
meliora.jpg
487 KB, 1500x1500
>>65849482
Give ghost a try anon. Very similar to Black Sabbath
>>
>>65842615
>>65842687
>>65842842
Let me help you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuP-w-dgbCs
>>
>>65842308
I concur
>>
>>65842532
I'll never get tired of Barney Greenaway's vocals
>>
>>65842308
Agreed

I've even heard some melodic metal
Which is just a simple melody with all the instruments on full blast at 300bpm following it

It's just not something I like to listen to
>>
All IDM is garbage
>>
I can't stand many genres of electronic music. To my ears, they just lack any sort of passion and blood that makes them pleasant to listen to. Big beat is some of my favourite music, but most modern electronic music just leaves me bored, as there never seems to be any real progression or variation in the stuff I've listened to.

The same goes for free jazz as well. To me, it's just a bunch of pretentious losers smelling each other's farts and no amount of them going "oh you dont like the smell of farts? Well aren't you a fucking idiot" is going to change that.
>>
>>65852013
people only call something pretentious if they can't understand it

fact
>>
>>65851964
>implying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUT3KoxVzQg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MBaEEODzU0
>>
it's become hard to imagine a genre i wholly dislike

i literally can't even think of one

am i edgy, /mu/?
>>
>>65852034
>People who don't like the smell of my farts are idiots
>>
>>65852056
Nah, I don't even listen to much free jazz, if any, I just find it funny that anyone calls anything even moderately complex pretentious.
>>65852052
Nah you're like me, someone who can appreciate that there is quality music of every genre and doesn't feel the need to diss anything they can't get into.
>inb4 crunkcore
kys
>>
techno I guess.

I get that it's supposed to be hypnotic and shit but there's absolutely nothing to it beyond the fact that it kind of makes you sort of dizzy.
>>
>>65852034
By this logic, tons of people don't understand Father John Misty which is hilarious as there's very little to get in "man with nice voice sings funny lyrics over folk-rock while blurring the line between dancing and dry-humping."
>>
>>65849482
try Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats
>>
>>65849263
it's very easy to understand: it's rock made by people who read Heavy Metal 2000s and suck Jodorowky's cock. It's all about psychedelic cosmic space opera shit, and it's fucking great.
>>
>>65852088
crunkcore is fucking hilarious
>>
>>65842716
Black Metal isn't supposed to be BRUTAL, you idiot, it's supposed to be GRIM or BESTIAL.
>>
>>65852108
never listened to him, don't care too. There are still plenty of things that you could call it other than a word that bastardized, I'm sure.
>>65852127
atta boy anon
>>
File: full-bleed-1277308701.jpg (17 KB, 584x328) Image search: [Google]
full-bleed-1277308701.jpg
17 KB, 584x328
>>65852013

You're not a fan of electronic music, but you enjoy Big Beat ?( aka one the most dated/ banal genres in electronic music ) I mean, love The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Fat Boy Slim etc. Other than those acts the genre is quite dead.

You really gotta venture out, anon
>>
>>65842308
The growls sound monstrous, in line with the general aeshtetic of death metal, and low/raspy enough to complement the guitars. That's why they sound good.
>>
>>65843225
I'm the exact opposite senpai, I only enjoy electronic music these days. I love the otherworldly unnatural sounds, it fits more in with my modern urban lifestyle too.
>>
>>65852167
This, aesthetic is ridiculously important to metal, just as much as the music itself. If you don't get the aesthetic, you're not going to like the genre, period.
>>
Almost all Metal except black. I really don't get it, it has almost no relevance to my life at all and I hate the cheesy electric guitars and terrible aesthetics
>>
>>65842615
One of the main issues with Baroque period music is the instrument it is composed for, the harpsichord. The harpsichord, unlike the piano can only play load and quite which means that it's really not all that interesting to listen to. Plus to make up for the lack of variety composers would just add tons and tons of notes and arpeggios and frills for the player to run through very quickly.

I'd say classical period music is pretty accessible out of the early western art musics. Romantic period music can be very dense and dramatic but there's something to like about that too.

Honestly what you're probably looking for that will give you the most enjoyment is 20th centurty western art music. Obviously shy away from all the atonal serialist stuff (unless you're into that) but non edgy 20th century piano compositions will probably suit what your ear is trained to like the best. Eric Satie is a personal favorite of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xm7s9eGxU
>>
>>65852282
the harpsichord is my least liked instrument, it just sounds shitty.
>>
File: 1417290003328.jpg (15 KB, 149x197) Image search: [Google]
1417290003328.jpg
15 KB, 149x197
>>65852241
>I hate the cheesy electric guitars and terrible aesthetics
and yet you like black metal?
??????
>>
>>65852331
I don't know why, but Black Metal has a certain realism to it, in a dark nerd type of way. It has some subtly, where other genres of Metal are just so out there I can't grasp them at all.
>>
>>65852370
>a certain realism to it
>dark nerd
Black Metal is at least as focused on otherworldliness as the "cheesiest" power metal.

If you want "realism", listen to rap metal or groove metal or politically-oriented grindcore or thrash metal.
>>
>>65852370
>black metal has subtly
>literally SATAN the music
what bands are you listening to m8, that doesn't match what I feel
>>
File: juilliardstringquartet1962.jpg (30 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
juilliardstringquartet1962.jpg
30 KB, 480x360
>>65842494
because that's a badly-arranged album that starts with a short, quick song, followed by two dirges
>momentum = killed
>>65842615
>>65842687
>>65842842
I didn't like classical until I stumbled onto this recording of Debussy's string quartet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-_U5S_3t0E
everything recorded by this version of the Juilliard String Quartet just speaks to me, for whatever reason. here are some other quartets they've recorded by various composers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJNKovGHYi8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tkOrI7fafM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNG5yuX1RLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq4VTlvpw6k
>>65846258
I know exactly what you're talking about. I can't stand it when artists use music to make fun of music - or its audience.
>>
>>65843682
Caravan Palace sounds like every horrid electroswing band. Electroswing is the sum of everything that sucks about music
>>
>>65845700
>Prog Rock
>Boring An Pointless
Well Meme'd
>>
>>65852479
A lot of prog rock is extremely boring anon. There's good stuff, but I can see why he would think that.
>>
>>65852444
he probably listens to Depressive Suicidal Black Metal about MUH FEELINGS that has no riffs and no momentum.

or worse yet, blackgaze. Because reverb=subtlety
>>
>>65840901
Krautrock
Death Grips
>>
>>65852538
death grips, especially their more recent output, is basically digital hardcore for a generation that was raised on hip-hop instead of punk rock.
>>
>>65852487
Depressive black metal? I don't know what that is, I don't care about most metal, riffs and momentum aren't the only thing important in music. I only know shit like Burzum, Mayhem, Leviathan, and some more experimental ones like Murmuure that frankly is better than vanilla Black Metal since it's more industrial and electronic. All I'm saying is Black Metal has a better aesthetic than fucking Death Metal which is the epitome of 12 year old, I don't care about muh fast and technical if the music is shit conceptually and aurally
>>
File: VR209.jpg (188 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
VR209.jpg
188 KB, 600x600
I absolutely couldn't get into any of the ska punk I'd ever listened to until I gave pic related a shot.
>>
>>65852557
>the epitome of 12 year old
dude you've been on 4chan too long if you start confusing "12 year old" and "horror".

Like what the fuck? I get that most people grow an interest for horror in their teens, but your worldview is seriously fucked if you end up equating the two notions.
>>
>>65852462
ur mum
>>
>>65852593
It's not about "Horror", Almost all metal is conceptually and aesthetically terrible. Most metal album covers are the kind of thing preteen boys think is cool, no sense of subtlety or artistic merit just a ridiculous mess of cartoony edge. Metal just doesn't stimulate me in the same way the modern Transformer movies don't stimulate me
>>
>>65852626
>It's not about "Horror"
It literally is what Death Metal aesthetics and themes consist in.

Not adolescence.

Teenage boys happen to like horror, but if your notion of "cartoony edge" encompasses stuff like Dan Seagrave's art instead of being limited to Deviantart OCs, then 4chan has rotten your brain.

>no sense of subtlety or artistic merit
Burzum never had either of those.
>>
>>65852557
>mayhem
>subtly
anon, I think you just don't understand the music you're listening to, they literally used a photo of their vocalists suicide as an album cover. This is their first demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2hCeBIk-Gw
they also were originally a death metal band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC4vthHVa78

your problem is that you're ignorant anon, and don't understand the very music that you're listening to.

also here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnUZ5xpcKHw
death metal that is sophisticated enough for your intellectual superior taste.

fucking 4chan dying, god damn
>>
>>65852557
Yeah sounds to me like you just have a hard-on for "muh textures" and "muh arrangements", not so much for subtlety and realism.

Honestly listen to early Slipknot. It may be about werewolves and serial killers but there's more interesting sound editing than in most atmosphere-focused BM bands.

No, seriously, "Mate, Kill, Feed, Repeat" has 10-minutes long stretches of hypnotic industrial noises, quiet acoustic passages, funk/disco sections, extremely varied vocal techniques, and intricate percussion work. It has a complex blend of emotional atmospheres and shifts from one to the other in very surprising ways without losing its coherence.

That's much more than can be said of Burzum and Murmuure.
>>
File: Budgie.jpg (202 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Budgie.jpg
202 KB, 1000x1000
>rap & hiphop
It just sounds so simple and I don't care about the subjects they have in songs
>pop
It is just so dull and repetetive lovey-dovey mush
>Death and Black Metal
Vocals are so off-putting
>EDM
sounds just so "artificial" or maybe I've just not hear any good ones
>Noise
I cant understand Noise rock somewhat but just plain Noise is just pure "WTF I'm listening"
>anything -core other than early Hardcore
It just sounds like bands don't know what they wanna be.

Or maybe I'm just too stuck up in Blues, Proto-Metal, Sludge, Doom and Stoner
>>
>>65852691
I think he's talking about post-1999 Mayhem.

You know, progressive industrial black metal illuminati Mayhem.

Cause if he's not, then he's a fucking idiot.
>>
>>65852720
I don't think he knows they made more than one album desu
>>
>>65852670
Why do you keep going on about 4chan? I hated Metal before I even went on this site. I like horror, it's just it's all badly done in metal, I'd honestly rather just listen to Throbbing Gristle or Coil for exploring dark and morbid themes. If you're into Metal that's fine, I just don't care for it as it doesn't resonate with me at all, the only reason I'm getting aggressive about it is because your accusations of me liking pleb tier emotionalism black metal
>>
>>65852158
I know it's dated (wouldn't describe it as banal though)but at least it has some sort of bite and passion. Modern stuff that I've listened to (Bonobo, FlyLo, Four Tet ish stuff) just seems to be in competition to see how they can bore me to death. I like Batida, but only because he mixes African music with electronic
>>
>>65852697
I laughed at the Slipknot suggestion, but you're probably right, regardless of Slipknot being silly as fuck
>>
>>65852733
I keep going on about 4chan because the "edgy" meme is rampant here.

originally "edgy" was used sarcastically to refer only to things that really sucked at being dark or threatening, such as the aforementioned Deviantart OCs. But in recent years it's been used to describe everything even remotely dark or horror-themed.

>it's all badly done in metal
no, it's simply presented in a spectacular way. That's what many people don't get about death metal: it's not really supposed to be "real", it's supposed to be a spectacle.
>>
>>65842532
Discordance Axis
Gridlink
Insect Warfare
Full of Hell
>>
>>65852733
We're getting aggressive because you're showing massive amounts of ignorance. You're claiming death metal is childish and saying black metal has subtlety, something which is mostly certainly does not. Not only that, you're dissing a genre for essentially doing what it's supposed to do. It's like saying "I don't like hip hop because it sounds too thug". No one will ever argue metal isn't somewhat "childish" in that it's not nuanced, the point of metal is not to be nuanced, it's to be in your fucking face about it's message and not give a shit if you like it or not. You're hating on death metal for existing essentially, while also being condescending about it.
>>65852808
>it's supposed to be a spectacle
absolutely this, though I would say metal in general is a spectacle, all genres. There is no music in which aesthetic is more important.
>>
Of all the bands that get highly praised, Arcade Fire is one band I can't get into. I tried listening to them and kept trying to see the appeal, but couldn't. They just sound like a generic indie band to me.
>>
>>65852839
Damn straight I am, that's the point of this thread no? I've tried to get into Metal before because of my metal head friends, I just don't like it because I don't like what it tries to do, I can't connect with that. It doesn't have much relevance to my existence. Guess what, I don't like fantasy either for the same reasons, Metal is basically Fantasy in music form and I think it's dumb.
>>
subtlety =/= quietness =/= complexity =/= variety

Subtlety is just stuff that's hard to notice immediately.
>>
File: 1462768544427.jpg (16 KB, 228x243) Image search: [Google]
1462768544427.jpg
16 KB, 228x243
>>65852719
>I'm just too stuck up in Blues, Proto-Metal, Sludge, Doom and Stoner
>>
>>65852901
Subtlety is simply creative restraint, it's essential to anything good
>>
>>65852896
And we're expressing astonishment and consternation at your claim that Black Metal isn't all about that.

ESPECIALLY the bands you mentioned. Burzum is about astral projection, LotR, and paganism
Mayhem is about witchcraft and conspiracy theories
Murmuure, even though it has no lyrics, has a strong otherworldly atmosphere
Leviathan is about experiencing death on a mystical level and destroying astral entities
>>
>>65852915
XD
>>
>>65852937
No it's not.
Something unrestrained, but focused, is perfectly good.
Something restrained, but incoherent and weak will be shit.
>>
File: 1435899097622.jpg (27 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1435899097622.jpg
27 KB, 500x375
>>65852896
>Metal is basically Fantasy in music
damn straight it is son, that's why it's great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r9PoGewraI

it's also very fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqo08XlotJc

this is from an actually 90s thrash album btw, not a meme youtube cover. Good album actually.
>>
>>65852959
When I say Fantasy, i'm not talking about metaphysical spirituality or paganism, I'm talking about fucking viking space warriors, it's stupid.
>>
>>65852979
I disagree, also subtlety goes hand in hand with aesthetic and conceptual coherence
>>
>>65852896
I can't fathom how you can listen to black metal (at least to the type of BM you mentioned) and think that it's "realistic".

Like it's about dat ghetto norwegian lyfe or someshit.

There's a few BM bands that focus on real-life themes, such as Diapsiquir and recently Peste Noire, and they also do a lot of interesting experimental shit with their music, but fuck you if you think that Black Metal, even the more "intellectual" side of it, isn't deeply focused on fantastical imagery and themes.
>>
>>65853007
Oh yeah right cause Death Metal is all about fucking space viking warriors, right? I mean when I think about horror aesthetics I immediately think about space viking warriors, not about apocalyptic imagery or the serial killer mythos.
>>
>>65853029
Only insofar as you sometimes have to make subtle distinction between your aesthetic and other ones.

But fundamentally, a strong, coherent aesthetic will be very blunt and obvious.
>>
>>65845723
>loud

It's only loud if you want to.
>>
File: 1424508396644.jpg (17 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
1424508396644.jpg
17 KB, 500x367
>>65853007
>metaphysical spirituality or paganism
>spirituality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6lU8_8G8jA
I feel enlightened right now

also I love how you mentioned paganism as good but vikings as bad, not realizing how ridiculously related they are, especially since one of the reasons bathory even pioneered the anti christian themes of black metal was because quorthon felt strong viking ties and hated the fact that the christians did a cultural genocide of native swedes.

please stop talking, you have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>65853071
>Death Metal is all about fucking space viking warriors, right?

It fucking is and fuck you too
>>
>>65853100
>it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ2TmW_1tHU
"space viking warriors"
>>
>>65842716
>jazz is all improv
I suppose you haven't listened to Zappa, Captain or The Residents.
>>
>>65853007
Okay so lemme get this straight:

Shamaatae yelling "HAIL FENRIR, EK KALLA VIK!" and putting on a goblin mask while strolling in the woods with his robe and scepter is okay, but a long-haired dude telling a story about vikings isn't?
>>65853100
>>65853112
There is exactly one band that's about space viking warriors, it's a melodic death metal band, and they did it as a joke.
>>
>>65853087
Coherence in of itself doesn't mean much in terms of good or bad, things that are overly blunt and obvious are boring and childish and again don't have much connection to reality
>>
>>65853132
this is so wrong
b8/10
>>
>>65853155
I kinda want to hear that desu, sounds fun
>>
>>65853155
I never said it was acceptable but it's interesting. There's nothing wrong with vikings, but I don't care about cartoonish fantasy
>>
>>65853156
Everything you just said is extremely arguable.

For example: a picture of someone getting kicked in the balls during a riot isn't especially boring or childish, and it has an obvious connection to reality.
>>
>>65853192
>I never said it was acceptable but it's interesting
This backpedaling tho
>>
>>65853192
Cartoonish fantasy isn't that common in metal, actually, it's mostly limited to power metal and black metal.
There's some sci-fi oriented thrash bands and a few death metal bands that have a monster flick aesthetic, but they're a minority.

Meanwhile, a shitload of black metal lifts its visuals straight from DnD books.

>>65853183
literally called "Space Vikings" it's a cheap Amon Amarth ripoff
>>
>>65842532
You can still try the karaoke version of Longhena which happens to be one of the best metal albums of all time
>>
>>65853132
>Zappa, Captain or The Residents.
>jazz
kek
>>
File: maxo8y9832.jpg (12 KB, 200x215) Image search: [Google]
maxo8y9832.jpg
12 KB, 200x215
>>65852784

Wow, yeah, i don't agree. Those artist you named have very immersive music. To me most beat beat artist sound like BGM for some cliche 90's action movie, or montage music for the X Games event.

Eh, you got that shit, man
>>
>>65842532
Try Liberteer.
>>
>>65842532
stick to noise rock, kid
>>
>>65842651
Doctor recommended solution: Wait a few years.
>>
>>65853273
None of them are jazz artists and that's not what I was trying to say.
>>
File: asif.jpg (113 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
asif.jpg
113 KB, 768x768
>>65844168
Depends on what type of electronic. Big Room House, Trance, and anything played at a typical EDM festival are garbage, but there are a lot of legitimately good electronic acts.
>>
>>65853162
I do realize that none of those bands were just improvising, but Captain and The Residents were labeled as ''experimental''. And I do know that Captain's music, however weird and dissonant it sounds, was composed and thoroughly rehearsed.
>>
>>65853241
/mu/ will never understand death metal
>>
>>65852557
>frankly is better than vanilla Black Metal since it's more industrial and electronic.
lmao you dumb little nigglet
>>
Not really a genre but I could never get into The Doors
>>
HIP HOP/RAP. Here's why. HipHop these days is highly pretentious. The lyrics about 'struggle and being superior and not backing down, giving up & uh uh uh', is what every one does ever even if the person has had a decent up bringing. Very cringe. The people who usually make hip hop have this certain personality that I don't like. I don't know what to call it but you can almost always tell by the way they speak and act and talk and the clothes they wear. I get that could be the culture but it's overdone for my taste and feels like doing it just for the sake of it. It's like they are very desperate to be associated with rap and hip hop. Every hip hop artist depends on their personality and their image to a huge extent to generate hype around their music. Although not being a rap lover I tried listening to B.I.G and he is lyrically very very fun. His lyrics don't sound pretentious because he was what he said In his lyrics. Also his choice of words is very simple yet so cool. Eminem is great too because again most things he rapped about was based on his life and it automatically adds some seriousness to it. Flying lotus is great. I am a huge Autechre fan and all their hip hop influenced stuff is great. So yeah there are some exceptions but very rare exceptions. RAP & Hip Hop today in general is a great example of how American people(mostly youth) think and act like in everyday life. For me American's in general have the most lowest standard of music. They are pleased by the stupiest things and never look beyond what they already have there. They just like stuff because they want others to know they like that stuff, if that makes any sense.
>>
>>65853399
For what? Relating to the lyrics or natural taste change?
>>
>>65840901
I have no real desire to explore most metal, country, acoustic or folk.
>>
>>65854101
Wowwww......yikes
>>
File: 1465185625332.jpg (72 KB, 512x489) Image search: [Google]
1465185625332.jpg
72 KB, 512x489
>>65854101
>The lyrics about 'struggle and being superior and not backing down, giving up & uh uh uh', is what every one does ever even if the person has had a decent up bringing. Very cringe.

You're right. Rap really isn't for you. Stick to country.
>>
>>65854101
wew lad
>>
>>65854167
Don't like that either. I actually don't like most music with lyrics except a very few folk rock and some psychedelic rock, and even then only a few specific bands.
>>
>>65846258
Maybe try Flipper or early Devo
>>
I like repetitive music, but Swans latest few records have been almost impossible for me to sit through. The repetition is ramped up to such an extreme that it's unlistenable. I can only handle listening to one chord or short riff big played for so long, and that formula is repeated on every track for over an hour. Just awful.
>>
>>65854167
>he doesn't like rap, he must like country
Is the cringiest meme there is
>>
>>65854167
And with an overwatch reaction pic to top it all off, you're like 7 years old
>>
>>65842308
I'd call myself a big metal and and I agree a little.

Most modern death metal, especially tech death, is overproduced and compressed. How do you write music that's deliberately that harsh and brutal and then polish it until it's squeaky clean? It's self-defeating.
>>
>>65854307
I liked The Seer but I think TGM went too far, it was flat-out boring.
>>
>>65855056
You'd call yourself a big metalhead but you don't get harsh vocals
lmao
>>
>>65855144
not what I said... I said they overproduce modern death metal and polish it up in the studio to make it less harsh and soften the impact.

learn to read faggot
>>
>>65842308
try with less harsh vocals first or death-thrash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPVdVTKoo6M
>>
Guitar music. What's up with that shit?
>>
>>65855517
ebin
>>
ITT: No one likes anything

>/mu/ - We Don't Like Music
>>
>>65842322
If you only listen to a few songs it's good. Once you hear like 10 or 15 you start to realize it's all the same shit
>>
File: 1466273847934.png (513 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1466273847934.png
513 KB, 800x600
>>65840901
most classical and jazz I feel my complete lack of exposure as a child and my inability to actually play music makes it hard for me to appreciate them.
>>
>>65842651
>The Mountain Goats
They have so much shit that there's something for almost everyone.

Like Lo-Fi? Everything from AHWT and back. Not your thing? Everything since AHWT. Personal shit? Sunset Tree and WSABH, and to a lesser extent Beat the Champ. Sad shit? Get Lonely. Concept albums about a terrifyingly bad relationship, a man eating jam and contemplating life, or a scientist-turned-cannibal on the moon. Shit man, they've got everything. Plus there's a metric fuckton of EPs and other releases out there.

Now if you don't like them because of John's voice or the lyrics that's another thing. I have the same deal with folk punk bands like AJJ. Love the lyrics and style, hate the whiny-ass can-barely-sustain-a-pitch voice.
>>
>>65856071
Only got it once I started playing and composing music of my own tb.h
>>
>>65856105
Gonna give Get Lonely a shot then, appreciate it.
>>
>>65840901
Trap and shit like that. Don't get me wrong, there are some decent songs and I like Hip hop and all its subgenres but I just can't get along with this mainstream garbage.
>>
>>65843665
I'm with you.
>>
>>65856105
Honestly, voices like that used to bother me but I've grown to enjoy them. I like them a lot more than overly dramatically sung bullshit that is technically perfect.

I think vocals are like comedy; it's the delivery that matters. Not necessarily the technique, ability to sustain pitch, etc.
>>
I don't like salsa, indie, EDM and metalcore.
>>
>>65858685
indie is 100% garbage pretty much like post-rock though
>>
>>65842308

same
>>
>there are still plebs on /mu/ that can't appreciate harsh vocals
>>
all that post-rocky shit

slint, swans, gy!be, none of it does it for me
Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.