[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Rockist jazz albums >What's a rockist jazz album?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 20121205_time-out_91.jpg (92 KB, 709x709) Image search: [Google]
20121205_time-out_91.jpg
92 KB, 709x709
ITT: Rockist jazz albums

>What's a rockist jazz album?
A jazz album from a selected group of popular jazz artists that rockists will claim are their "favorite" when cornered about their pathetic rock-centric taste
>>
>>65836713
Strange Meadow Lark and Take Five are my shit senpai a lam.
>>
File: Bitches-CBSQ-1_0.jpg (66 KB, 628x635) Image search: [Google]
Bitches-CBSQ-1_0.jpg
66 KB, 628x635
>>65836713
pic related is the ultimate 'oh yeah I know jazz xDDDDDDD' album
>>
"Initially released as a single on September 21, 1959, Take Five failed to attract any unusual attention. Nearly two years later, a reissue exploded on the charts and became the biggest selling jazz single in history. The single version of Take Five was truncated from the LP version, notably omitting an extended drum solo."

Back at a time when jazz was still king and the rock revolution was a few years away yet.
>>
>>65836962
that doesn't meet the criteria of a rockist jazz album, as per the OP

learn to read or fuck off
>>
Machine Gun
>>
>>65837069
>The single version of Take Five was truncated from the LP version, notably omitting an extended drum solo

That's a bit strange considering that in later eras (notably the disco era) singles were often lengthened over the album version.
>>
itt: people post accessible universally acclaimed jazz albums for no good reason
>>
>>65837069
Yeah, TF if nothing else really captures the essence of that era. It makes you visualize Playboy Mansion parties, James Bond, girls with pageboy haircuts drinking martinis, etc.
>>
>>65837155
Get ready to learn

Back in the 40s and 50s, most radio stations prefered songs around 2:40 - 3:00 min. So artists would release singles of that length in hopes that radio stations could create buzz about them and people would go and buy their stuff. This attitude continued for a long time, billy joel even wrote a song about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozDSk9XUkrc
>>
"Brubeck passed away on December 5, 2012 in his hometown of Norwalk, CT. His son stated that 'We were in the car together and I was driving him to a doctor's appointment when he slumped over in the seat and didn't regain consciousness.' He was a day short of his 92nd birthday."

Not a bad way to go.
>>
>>65837295
Yeahyeah I know BJ (what appropriate initials) bitched that they made him shorten Piano Man to 5 minutes because "it was too long for radio play".
>>
>>65837155
Extended mixes were for djs to mix with before they could just loop on their pc computer.
>>
This thread is enabling the dissatisfaction of great albums because of other peoples opinion, fuck you
>>
File: file.png (452 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
file.png
452 KB, 600x600
>>65837072
bitches brew is the definitive rockist jazz album, along with In a Silent Way and pic
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.