[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is the best thing he's ever done aside from that big
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
File: 655035183749.jpg (63 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
655035183749.jpg
63 KB, 600x600
This is the best thing he's ever done aside from that big cassette box from a couple of years back.
>>
>>65833140
Ok
>>
>>65833140
Excited to listen to this, love all of Dominick's various projects
>>
>>65833192
It's excellent, the most fully-formed Vatican Shadow full-length so far. The thing that always bugged me about this project was that a lot of the releases which were supposed to be proper albums on paper just felt like collections of tracks to get mixed into DJ sets, pretty lacking in terms of pacing and variety and always with at least a few total throwaway tracks.
This doesn't suffer from that issue. It feels like a proper album that's meant to be equally rewarding at home or at a club. A complete experience.
>>
>>65833549
>Albums on paper felt like collections of tracks
Totally agree, given all the different monikers he has it's nice to know that this project is moving forward. That being said I hope he brings back Christian Cosmos for another release.
>>
File: INF-022-Artwork-Front.jpg (3 MB, 3724x3724) Image search: [Google]
INF-022-Artwork-Front.jpg
3 MB, 3724x3724
>>65833752
>That being said I hope he brings back Christian Cosmos for another release.

It wouldn't surprise me if he did, considering that he revived both VS and RSE this year.
Have you heard this yet? It's got another new VS track on it.
>>
>>65833965
No I have not but cool to see a Function track on there
>>
>>65834782
He put the whole thing together, Infrastructure is his record label. The whole lineup of the album is loaded with great producers.
>>
>>65833549
Yeah, it seems like the philosophy he had with the major-album-statement Prurient records has bled into VS, where he was, "making the music instead of pasting it in," as I think he said once. The actual music was previously just part of overall whole, made to work alongside the imagery of the artwork and titles to give off an atmosphere or whatever. But now it's like he's putting a lot more effort into the actual music so it can hold its own, and is cohesive by itself in full-length album or EP format.

This can only be a good thing, it's really exciting to see.
>>
File: vatican media special ed.jpg (50 KB, 560x823) Image search: [Google]
vatican media special ed.jpg
50 KB, 560x823
It's a shame the special edition is fucking $119 though. Especially when it seems like the definitive version of this release with the huge collage newspaper.
>>
>>65833549
remember your black day was a strong album that for sure had pacing and variety, and when you were crawling is just as good as a companion ep
>>
>>65834827
Downloading as I type this
>>65834961
There's also a straight up 175 copy tape release through boomkat
>>
>>65835046
Oh yeah - I grabbed that as soon as they sent out the email, lol. Sold out in a day as per usual, there will probably be copies on discogs for 5x the price soon
>>
>>65834920
Yeah, the stuff on this album is a far cry from most of the shit he's done before under this moniker as far as the level of production skill on display goes. There's much more going on here in terms of detail and layering of elements, actually makes his older VS stuff sound quite crude and skeletal in comparison(which sometimes actually worked in its advantage, such as on the cassette box I mentioned or that one track from the WEOWW compilation).

>>65834961
Eh, pricey special editions are par the course for Hospital. Between the cheaper tape-only and digital editions I can't really complain about it.

>>65835018
Remember Your Black Day is actually the first VS album I think of when I think of those issues with pacing and repetition, heh. I always found that album to be pretty tedious.
When You Are Crawling is good though.
>>
File: 655035170800.jpg (431 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
655035170800.jpg
431 KB, 600x600
>>65833140
Do you mean Death Is Unity With God? It's always great to see that getting the recognition it deserves, I've said this before and so have a couple of others here, but it really is some of the best material he's ever laid down. I think Fernow's at his best when he's making the seedy, low down, restrained and dirty music that gets under your skin, compared to the 'studio quality' stuff.

How did you guys like this, by the way? The first track is one of the most standout things he's done under Prurient imo
>>
AOTY for me. Wowzorz. Incredible stuff.
>>
File: prurient macronympha.jpg (778 KB, 1206x800) Image search: [Google]
prurient macronympha.jpg
778 KB, 1206x800
essential viewing if you haven't seen it already, he's such a fun performer to watch. the energy levels are off the charts, i love when he'll drop something in and then just seem unable to handle it and have to either pace around the stage or just start violently thrashing around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c9FrMgcgLc

apologies for my incessant and disjointed posting by the way, i'm alternating between phone and laptop while doing housework

>>65835229
yeah, definitely. it's without a doubt one of the more hi-fi releases which really works in its favour as a well-structured and cohesive album. it always seems like a conscious decision when this happens, which is part of why he's such a strong artist imo; he always recognises how anything that effects his work will actually do so, if that makes sense, and he can use this so his advantage

re the special edition, yeah... but this one seems *much* more expensive than previous ones have been. as someone pointed out on discogs, given the fair pricing of the skin crime bundles, it's hard to justify a single tape and newspaper in a box for almost the same amount. in retrospect i suppose that a 100 page newspaper must have been fucking hard to make

i need to revisit RYBD to be honest, it's the most neglected fernow piece in my collection, ha
>>
>>65835269
Yeah, Death Is Unity With God. I'd rate that release up there among the best things he's done with any project.

>How did you guys like this, by the way?

I thought it was very good. Very brittle and damaged feel to it, reminded me a lot of stuff like Oxidation and Tiger Smells A Corpse in how fetishistic and indulgent of an approach it has to sound(albeit with more pathos and tension than those releases).
To be honest, all the recent lower-profile cassettes which he has released surrounding FNF have done more for me than FNF itself.
>>
whah why do his releases for godless amounts so quickly on discogs? I've never heard of him...
>>
>>65835738
He's a well establised artist with a super dedicated cult following, that has grown a lot due to hype from media outlets. Small-run handmade editions + big demand = huge prices

To really speak my mind though, a lot of his work is really heartfelt and sincere, which I think resonates with people a lot, and there's a large sense of intimacy in the handmade limited editions because of this. People are willing to shell out a lot for that
>>
>>65835738
Limited edition releases by cult artists often go for large sums on the 2nd hand market. Like 80-85% of this guy's discography consists of limited editions and he's a high-profile artist working largely in noise/industrial and (more recently)techno, two genres with a large amount of rabid collectors in their audience.
>>
Ghosts of Chechnya is my fave, but you gotta peep his live sets. They're the highlight.
>>
>>65835738
Never heard of Prurient?
>>
File: vaticanfact.png (723 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
vaticanfact.png
723 KB, 1500x1500
>>65836079
Word, I love Ghost Of Chechnya.

Has anyone heard his mix for FACT Magazine that dropped yesterday? His DJing is flawless now, the mixing between tracks is seamless.
>>
It's mediocre techno
>>
>>65836184
you don't get it
>>
>>65836079
His live sets are nuts, yeah. I'm hoping he goes on an extensive tour with VS again sooner rather than later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSCiY0f5f8M

>>65836156
I got that mix bookmarked but I doubt I'm gonna get around to listening to it any sooner than the weekend.
>>
>>65836275
He has a few dates around Europe soon. None in the UK yet though sadly.
>>
>>65836156
Dug the mix a ton. It's great to have this alongside new material.
>>
i fucking swear that dom has entered a golden age or a renaissance of some kind

he is so goddamn on fire recently with a string of mindblowing releases both of his own and by other people on hospital
>>
>>65836275
God damn I'd kill to see Fernow live
>>
>>65836559
Eh, I'd sooner call it a return to form after a somewhat lacking few years than a renaissance. 2007-2011 is always gonna be my favorite Hospital period though.
>>
>>65836680
I really need to post this again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c9FrMgcgLc

18 minutes is where it really kicks off. He goes fucking nuts.
>>
>>65836707
I'd feel kinda weird seeing live and he's going nuts while I just stand still enveloped by the rhythms
>>
>>65835520
>in retrospect i suppose that a 100 page newspaper must have been fucking hard to make
If it's anything like the insert included in the special edition of White Eye Of Winter Watching (which was around the same price), it'll be very well done and worth it.

Ordered my copy pretty much as soon as it was announced.
>>
>>65837353
Damn, was White Eye really that much on release? It's discogs statistics don't seem that offensive.

I'm really torn whether to order a copy or not.. With UK shipping included it will be just over £100.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.