[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/AnCo/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
Let's talk about AnCo. Rank their albums, along with a top 5 songs. Would love to hear about live concert experiences (i'm yet to see them but may be soon).

1. Merriweather Post Pavillion - 9.5
2. Feels - 9
3. STGSTV - 8.5
4. Centipede Hz - 8
5. Strawberry Jam - 7.5
6. Danse Manatee - 7
7. Sung Tongs - 7
8. Here Comes The Indian - 6.5
9. Campfire Songs - 5.5
10. Painting With - 4.5

1. Brother Sport
2. Spirit They've Vanished
3. Bees
4. New Torn Burnout
5. Bat You'll Fly

Honorable Mentions: Did You See The Words, Banshee Beat, Daily Routine, Cuckoo Cuckoo, Applesauce, My Girls
>>
Stupid thread, everyone knows that AnCo is shit
>>
File: badass.jpg (78 KB, 500x595) Image search: [Google]
badass.jpg
78 KB, 500x595
how bout we don't rank them and just list the songs
1.) Water Curses
2.) Kids On Holiday
3.) Loch Raven
4.) On Delay
5.) I Think I Can
that's just at the moment, it changes a lot
I really like their live performances, especially when all four of em are on stage together
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihdf0hUGGCI
>>
>>65804864
Yeah i've seen that performance, seen quite a lot of their YT ones. I'm interested to hear personal experiences.
>>
I've got a cool concert experience for you. Right before I saw them this tour I inhaled a huge cloud of marijuana. They took the stage and it was very surreal, the ridiculous and dadaist sort of props on stage were cool and very trippy. Avey was dressed almost like a zombie and had a thick green fog around him so it looked like he just crawled from a grave. When they did Daily Routine a solid wall of green noise was projected onto them and since I was front row I was wrapped in the noisy blanket of Panda's voice and screaming synths. It was amazing.
>>
>>65804884
Sounds incredible. I wanted to see them but I checked their recent setlist and it's so much of Painting With which i'm really not a fan of.

Damn shame.
>>
>>65804831
>CHz so high up
>7-10
yikes
>>65804864
good list, though I think On Delay is one of the more overrated tracks from the new album
>>65804913
Their current tour is great, yes it's a lot of painting with, but it's a much more enjoyable sound to experience live. the energy really shines through, which is great for people who think the album is "soulless" (that's an opinion I don't get but that's beside the point)
>>
>>65805042
What can I say I really love CHz. Thanks for the concert info anyway.
>>
>>65805073
Would love to hear why, I've been a longtime fan and that album has always felt way too phoned in to me
STGSTV - 7
Danse - 4
Campfire Songs - 7
Here Comes the Indian - 9
Sung Tongs - 8
Feels - 8
Strawberry Jam - 9
Merriweather - 10
CHz - 6
PW - 8
>>
File: 1tPaU9c.jpg (47 KB, 491x368) Image search: [Google]
1tPaU9c.jpg
47 KB, 491x368
I went to that concert at the Fondation Quartier in in 2004, a friend and I took 2 hits of acid earlier in the day, everything was so beautiful, so we followed them trough 3 more concerts in Europe. Good Times

1.STGSTV - 10
2.HTCI - 10
3. Feels - 9.5
4. Sung Tongs - 9.5
5. SJ - 8.5
6. MPP - 8
7. CS - 8
8. Danse Manatee - 7.5
9. CHz - 7
10. PW - 6.5

1.Two Sails on a Sound
2.April and the Phantom
3.Loch Raven
4.Safer
5.Winters Love

These guys are sweet
>>
Feels- 9.3
MPP - 9.0
SJ - 8.9
CHz - 8.5
ST - 8.4
HCtI- 7.9
STGSTV - 6.8
PW - 5.7
CS - 4.4
DM - 2.2
>>
>>65805194
As a huge fan of MPP also, it felt like it's darker counterpart. It has the same catchiness, but it's use of synths and effects are much more bleak. The blend of the poppiness with these factors I just really enjoyed.

Some of my favourite AnCo songs also: Rosie Oh, Applesauce and of course, New Town Burnout as seen in my list.
>>
From what I've heard

Sung Tongs > MPP > PW=HCTI=STGSTV

But the difference is so so negligeble because I loved evertyhing I've heard.
>>
>>65805194
Also I think it had some of the best vocal performances AnCo have given.
>>
>>65805306
Yeah, I guess I can see that. SJ -> MPP -> CHz always did feel like a trilogy to me. Love the fuck out of Rosie Oh and New Town Burnout.
>>
1 - The Softest Voice
2 - Call Home (buy grapes)
3 - Hocus Pocus
4 - From A Beach
5 - Guys Eyes
>>
>>65805332
They seem to be about the experience of being an adult. SJ is the freshness and fun of becoming an adult. MPP is settling down and starting a family but also the responsibilities that come with. CHz is about coping with the strangeness and bleakness of adulthood.
>>
>>65805438
That's a pretty sick theory. I can see it.
>>
>>65805347
this is such a random list
>>
File: panda-fashion.jpg (4 MB, 4724x3683) Image search: [Google]
panda-fashion.jpg
4 MB, 4724x3683
>be panda bear
>wake up every morning in my lisbon, portugal loft apartment
>eat a very nice european breakfast
>kiss wife as she goes to work
>walk kids to school
>come home
>inhale an enormous cloud of THC
>hide in music studio for 6 hours making music
>sonic boom stops by and lays down a heavy 18 min space shoegaze track
>we listen to oneohtrix and the beach boys
>he leaves, kids and wife come home
>put kids to bed
>fuck fashion designer wife
>repeat
>>
>>65805042
>it's a lot of painting with, but it's a much more enjoyable sound to experience live
this exactly
a lot of the really sterile and underwhelming vibes on the album come together in a live setting - i really disliked lying in the grass and gnip gnop but live they were two of my favorites of the set
you're also getting daily routine, bees, loch raven, and alvin row live, all of which singlehandedly make seeing them on this tour worthwhile
>>
>>65804831
STGSTV - 10
MPP - 10
Feels - 10
SJ - 9
CHz - 9
ST - 9
PW - 9
HCTI - 8
CS - 7
DM - 7

1. Alvin Row
2. Summertime Clothes
3. Cuckoo Cuckoo
4. New Town Burnout
5. Safer
>>
In order of enjoyment I would go

Feels > STGSTV > Hollinndagain > HCTI = Danse > Sung Tongs > Campfire Songs > MPP > CHz > PW

And the songs would be Pride and Fight, Penny Dreadfuls, Doggy, For Reverend Green, and Meet the Light Child

I heard Animal Crack Box last night, it was really nice.
>>
>>65804831
Not gonna rank but what people are saying about the current tour is right! And this coming from someone who thinks PW is their weakest studio album. I had very low expectations, but it was one of the best shows I've been to. The set REALLY works live, and the new songs are super enjoyable (though Loch Raven and Alvin Row were definitely my favourites of the night). One more thing, I certainly recommend earplugs. People were in visible pain during Loch Raven. Don't miss them if you get the chance!
>>
>>65806183
>People were in visible pain
this. I was front row without ear plugs and I have tinnitus now
>>
>>65806204
Sorry to hear, man. It was the first show I ever wore plugs to. I wasn't even in the first row and I was still so glad I had them with me. Never going anywhere without them again.
>>
>>65804831
I mean I love anco and think they were(WERE) one of most inventive musicians ever
But I had this kind of thread hundreds of time and it makes me sick
Pw is only bad release anco had, HCTI was best
>>
>>65805933
what's a european breakfast?
>>
>>65806269
>Pw is only bad release anco had
when will this meme die
>>
>>65806282
its like an english breakfast but with adobe slabs
>>
File: CEeR5Bk.png (45 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
CEeR5Bk.png
45 KB, 800x600
>>65806337
kek, but seriously i don't think european breakfasts are a thing
>>
>>65806282
strawberry jam
>>
>>65806361
now I really want that "Ask me about my Discogs" shirt
>>
1 Feels
2 Sung Tongs
3 MPP
4 Spirit They're Gone
5 Campfire Songs
6 Danse Manatee
7 Strawberry Jam
8 CHZ (garbage)
9 PW (garbage)

i honestly don't know a band that went from SO good to SO bad...

best songs

what would i want sky (bbc session)
leaf house / rabbit (radio session)
doggy / hey light (radio session)
brother sport (live pre MPP tour)
>>
>>65806398
>i read reviews and my taste is fucking superior
>>
File: floridada_comic.png (35 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
floridada_comic.png
35 KB, 600x900
>>65806361
posting these scribbly anco comics
>>
File: holland-again.png (306 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
holland-again.png
306 KB, 600x800
>>65806361
>>65806424
>>
>>65806416
read reviews?

i was OBSESSED with this band from about 2005-2009. like, had every live bootleg and alternate version and etc. you cant go deeper on a band than i was at that time.

last two records broke my heart, not even memeing. something changed, maybe it was them, maybe it was me. i don't know.
>>
>>65806416
also so you know i was being serious about those songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g99bOcyJVVs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hrDjNVuk5M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhTmb4A9Nl8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEIhXPK0TSM
>>
>>65806463
>, maybe it was them, maybe it was me. i don't know.

It was both. I feel you brother. We just grew up, started on new music. But also Anco got old and lost their creative edge.
>>
OK actually this is the greatest of all time AnCO song / performance ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UEgu4ujT4
>>
>>65806532
>Likes Campfire Songs
>Thinks AnCo got progressively worse.

Kek. Creative and unique ≠ Good.
>>
>>65806463
>>65806532
>something changed
well, yeah, they couldn't do the whole lo fi freak folk thing forever. they're headlining festivals at this point, and whether or not that's something they intended or even want is irrelevant. Painting With is pretty much the most perfect album they could put out at this point.
>>
>>65806594

How can people have so much of a problem with CHz but love MPP. I don't think i'll ever understand it.

I understanding preferring one to the other, but loving one and despising the other?
>>
>>65806628
I don't think Anco fans generally despise any of their work, but I do think CHz is a bit of a step down from Merriweather. It was clear they had no clue how to follow it up. Painting with is a much more logical successor.
>>
>>65806594
AnCo festival headlinging Set

My Girls
Grass
Doggy / Hey Light
Chocolate Girl
The Purple Bottle
We Tigers
Fireworks / Essplode
Safer

etc...
>>
>>65806658
i can't even listen thru CHZ or PW. sounds like embarrassing, bad kids music. IDK man just IMO
>>
>>65806670
stuck in the past bruh
>>
>>65804831
Update: If I were to place Person Pitch in my list it would probably be 2nd.

What are others thoughts on Person Pitch?
>>
>>65806873
I'm Not is one of the best songs any of them have made
>>
>>65806873
its p good but i think its a smidge overrated
Tomboy > PP > Young prayer > PBVSGR
>>
>>65804831
>Centipede Hz - 8
>Campfire Songs - 5.5
pleb detected
>>
>>65806685
This. Those albums are nothing more than kitschy, over-produced millenial adolescent pop. They took MPP and watered it down and decided to make that their shtick going forward. Probably because it gets them pussy, I don't know or care anymore.
>>
>>65807213
>I hate fun
Good to know
>>
>>65807026
>Woah this guy likes an album I don't, and dislikes an album I do
>Don't know anything else about his taste
>Oh well, better call him a pleb

Never change, /mu/
>>
I went and the daily routine, bees, loch raven, and alvin row combo alone certainly made the trip worthwhile. The crowd freaked the fuck out at the part of daily routine when everything drops out but the synth. I was against the front railing right in front of avey. Those guys are right about it being loud, by the time Floridada came on I couldn't hear the music well anymore. it kinda sucks that they're stuck at their boards when the vocal switching style would be really cool if they were running around trading mics and stuff. Or were at least right next to each other. I don't like ranking stuff but I will say that person pitch is my favorite album. and that bluish is the song that made me realize how good they are
>>
>>65807596
>bluish
How did this song become so popular? It's got to be one of the cheesier ones on the record
>>
>>65805285
>>65805194
>>65804831
>>65806024
>>65806398
Plebs
>>
>>65809287
for me I think the whole album is really cheesy so by the time I get to it I'm emotionally receptive to it.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.