[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
someone shouldve told me before. how did i not know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
someone shouldve told me before. how did i not know
>>
At least you found it man
>>
>>65798826
Got this on a FL years ago, stayed on hand since then.
>>
>>65798826
how are there not memes about this album like i feel like people should dick way harder on it considering how accepted it is. then again i cant imagine doin that so
>>
i discovered this album cause my dad showed a girl some free form poetry he wrote in college and then she smoked him out and told him about Van Morrison.

incredible album, never heard anything else like it desu
>>
>>65798826
van morrison is my dad's favorite artist
>>
The album is basically perfect. Nothing has matched it in the pop/rock tradition.
>>
but could u find me mu
>>
>>65799393
i think i could kissah your eyes
>>
real question tho... if it was as structured as a normal pop/folk album would it be as amazing??i'm willing to accept that it's just a magical accident from amazing musicians
>>
>>65799440
have you heard Moondance? it has a more traditional structure and it's just as amazing
>>
>>65799617
moondance is also an amazing album like i wasnt saying that to doubt his ability to geeeeet you there just i feel like theres something about just the unplaned, spontaneous, kinda not perfect feel of this album that makes it more special somehow
>>
>>65798826
its literally in every chart/rate thread. its mu/core
>>
>>65799811
sweet bro
>>
>>65799703
Where are you getting the unplanned and spontaneous vibe from, is there some background info im not aware of? It seems very meticulously crafted to me
>>
>>65799893
a lot of the songs were literally recorded first take
>>
>>65799893
From what I understand, Van Morrison got a bunch of ace session musicians and gave them a basic structure or idea, but basically gave them free reign. Then he'd go off and do his thing in a booth.
>>
>>65799440

100% correct. it would have been great still, but not as magical
>>
>>65799926
>>65799950
Can i get a source? I'd like to read more into this
>>
Van Morrison in general doesn't get enough love, especially on /mu/. Even when he does, it's generally just Astral Weeks and Moondance, which are both fantastic albums, but people tend to forget just how much good shit this guy has put out. Saint Dominic's Preview and Into the Music are excellent albums, Veedon Fleece and Common One are great too, and even his weak albums usually have at least one killer track.
>>
I went into Astral Weeks expecting songs like Brown Eyed Girl because that's the only thing I knew from him. Instead, I got the greatest album ever made.
>>
Possibly my favourite album of all time, nothing else sounds anything like it.
>>
What's everyone's favorite track? Mines probably Young Lovers but they're all fantastic

>>65802031
I listened to it for the first time about two weeks ago and I still haven't gotten over how great it is.
>>65800707
>the greatest album ever made
it's definitely a strong contender
>>
>>65802166
BESIIIIIDE YOOOUUUU

Love the free-time
>>
>>65802234
Favorite part of the song is definitely
WE TURN TO EACH OTHER SAY
I LOOOoooOOOoooVE YOU
BABY I LOVE YOU
>>
>>65802166
title track imo
>>
>>65800316
Astral Weeks is the second studio album by Northern Irish singer-songwriter Van Morrison. It was recorded at Century Sound Studios in New York City during three sessions in September and October 1968, although most participants and biographers agree that the eight songs were culled from the first and last early evening sessions. Except for John Payne, Morrison and the assembled jazz musicians had not played together before and the recordings commenced without rehearsals or lead sheets handed out.

first paragraph off wiki page for the album
>>
>>65802166
So hard to choose, Beside You, Sweet Thing, Madame George, Cyprus Avenue and Slim Slow Slider are 5 of the greatest songs ever written. If I HAD to choose, probably Sweet Thing.
>>
The only issue I have with this album is how high up in the mix his voice is. He really overpowers the backing, so if you turn it up to hear the fanastic orchestration you get deafened by a yelp of mr morrisson
>>
>>65800316
>>65799893
The jazz musicians basically improvised the whole damn thing.
>>
>>65798826
yoink
>>
>>65799170
boomers are so fucking lame
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.