[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you start a band?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: johnfru.jpg (51 KB, 326x458) Image search: [Google]
johnfru.jpg
51 KB, 326x458
I've been playing guitar for over a decade now (20 years old, started at 8) but I've never played a gig or been in a band. Over the years I've recorded a lot of riffs, some ranging to almost full songs.

I don't care about getting famous etc but I wouldn't mind collaborating/making music with some people. How does one go about pursuing it? None of my friends play instruments and the only music they listen to is EDM and rnb. A close friend of my brothers (who I've hung out with multiple times) plays guitar and is pretty decent but would feel weird with just saying 'hey lets start a band'.

How do you go about starting a band especially when none of your friends play instruments? Is there even a point in starting a band these days?
>>
You could put an ad on craigslist. The main thing you need is a drummer and a place to practice. The drummer will probably know some other people, or you can just keep posting ads. Jamming with just guitar and drums is pretty fun though even if you can't find anyone else, that's why I'd recommend finding a drummer and a practice space first.
>>
File: DSC_73439.jpg (33 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
DSC_73439.jpg
33 KB, 500x333
If you go to places where young-uns practice maybe you can hook up with people?

It's not easy, people are bastards....

but you might hit lucky
>>
I would start at song writing first for you
>>
>>65779825
>>How do you go about starting a band especially when none of your friends play instruments?
Get involved with the local music scene, for example, go to a bar where a lot of different bands and get social with people, especially people in bands obviously. You'll eventually find a band with an open spot, or a band looking to replace one of their less enthousiastic/productive members.

>>Is there even a point in starting a band these days?
Having fun I guess
>>
teach your none friends how to play an instrument and turn it into an experimental band
>>
>>65779880
I'm not too keen on finding people from craigslist, I'd probably just end up with a bunch of dad-rockers

>>65779923
I think I will try and pursue it with my brothers close friend. He's a major druggy (very talented musician though) so not sure how it would work it with his addiction

>>65779926
I always get frustrated because I can't settle on something. I feel I need another persons input to help me guide in what direction a song should go in. Plus I think more brains involved in creativity is better than one for the most part

>>65779931
I could look into this, thanks anon

>>65779952
kek actually not a bad idea. I'm sure some may be up for it as a laugh but I guess I'd have majority artistic control over the group
>>
>>65780133
>) so not sure how it would work it with his addiction
disastrously
>>
>>65780165
Eventually but he says he doesn't care about fame
>>
>>65780205
well if you don't care about music either it should be good

I dunno,

Go to a practice studio and find some new people
>>
>>65780165
I realize this but haven't most of the more successful musicians been addicts?

>>65780205
>>65780250
I don't care about getting famous or whatever. If it happened would be cool but I'm realistic and the chances of it happening are slim to none. I do care about the music though
>>
>>65780289
>f the more successful musicians been addicts?
mmm

I dunno is your mate the next Chet Baker? Or some dude that can play Dopethrone in an half arsed manor?

some of them were but those that were often died young and poor because of it
>>
>>65780354
He's the best guitarist I've heard in person. I'd rating him pretty highly. He reminds me of John Frusciante personality wise and playing style
>>
>>65779825

Go to local shows, they're always packed with local musicians, just talk to strangers till you find which ones play instruments. Craigs list is a good way to find lazy fuckers, local shows are where you find ambitious ones.
>>
>>65781737
>kers, local shows ar
but be careful of being trapped in a small town scene

get to the city and the brothels
>>
Teach me how to play and i'll play with you :)
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.