[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bomb the Music Industry!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
Can we talk about genuinely amazing this band/Jeff Rosenstock is? Like how badass the whole super DIY, entire discography for free (quoteunquoterecords.com), $10 or under all ages shows only thing is?
>>
i really look up to them for their wanting to include everybody who's interested in their music. I was watching an interview with Frankie Cosmos and she mentioned how important all ages shows were to her while growing up. So hey, even though i'm not a big fan of their music they're doing great things this way
>>
I dislike most of Bomb the Music Industry but Jeff's solo stuff is pretty cool
>>
>>65725357
Did you know that they let fans with instruments play with them onstage?
>>
>>65725534
no, had no idea. just adds to their rep
>>
I'm happy to be able to say Jeff is a friend as well as someone I look up to as a musician.

I play with The Taxpayers and QuoteUnquote was a huge boon into our nationwide touring, our ability to hop on Asian Man records, as well as continue self-funding and sustaining our tours they way we want to do them (no contracts, no managers, no publicist, etc..). Playing PIX fest with him and The Wild are going to be the highlight of my summer.
>>
>>65725328
The DIY scene is a mess. It's a mix bag of shitty politics and party kids. Thank god folk punk is dying. I gotta go back and watch that documentary (they made or were in?).
>>
>>65725779
somebody redpill me on the DIY scene
>>
>>65725797
All right I know how /pol/ red pills but with /mu/ uhhh do you want to be sold on it or told why you should hate it?
>>
>>65725797

The DIY culture is full of passionate youth, which not long ago embraced tenants of equality, accessibility, support, and compassionate criticism.

Unfortunately this idea has shifted to be taken over by figurehead SJW-types who ironically bully their way into positions of power, and have begun to isolate, censor, and remove judgement from spaces. This lead to the transition from "you're welcome here if you don't make others feel shitty" to the extremes of "NO CIS WHITE MEN".

I saw this coming from being raised in punk communities, touring across the country to sustain my life (I left college to no jobs, spiking rent, and high unemployment, so I suddenly played music to survive, and was able to because of some amazing folks from the Pacific NW to Key West), and working with Mike Park, Jeff Rosenstock, Chris Clavin, and others.

The true tenants of the DIY scene are changing into some amazing start-up labels instead of folks trading CD-Rs, some amazing venues instead of kitchens and basements, and sources for free music from artists than need exposure over payment.

The DIY scene is in a transformative state right now, just as the flow of residents flows from suburbs, to urban areas, and back again. Just as the days of Jawbrekaer playing sweaty kitchens had to survive the turn of the century and Green Day playing to played basketball arenas. Nothing is "dead" it's just a splitting like a cell -- both finalizing it's coming of age and struggling to understand its adolescence.
>>
>>65725950
Holy shit this.

What band?
>>
>>65725950
I appreciate your answer anon. I wish you the best of luck on your tour too. not easy making it as a musician these days
>>
>>65725980

The Taxpayers
>>
File: Colortest2.png (2 MB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
Colortest2.png
2 MB, 1500x1125
>>65725984

Oh it's all good, I work at a cafe and pizza shop I love and I'm working on doing illustration. We make enough from Spotify and Bandcamp to get together and record, as well as get gear and plane tickets to tour.
>>
>>65725988
Ha, you guys put on a great show. Idk if you were with them and dropped but I saw 'em in Worcester with Ramshackle and Speaker for the Dead
>>
>>65726008
i'm an aspiring musician and hearing you say that just motivates me to go after my dreams too.

sometimes i get worried about the future. like the idea of not having enough money to eat scares me, let alone raising a band to record and tour. but you do it because you love it right? idk, this was really nice to read, thank you
>>
>>65726010

Ah damn it! That was at The Firehouse, which was a venue I really wanted to check out. I was picked up in Boston the next day, due to plane-ticket logistics.
>>
>>65726054
Yeah dude great venue. You were spot on. The SJW and Trans community has been fairly welcome here still but most of the old heads still carry the old ideology. It's a mixed bag though with it being such a small community. Oddly enough the withering folk punk/emo scene seems to be the ones complaining the most about equality at shows but as someone who dabbles in a lot of genres the grind scene has the most deserve outcomes for shows yet the younger heads think "it attracts the wrong crowds".
>>
>>65726045

Living your life artistically is different than being a professional and self-sustaining artist. The only difference however is one you do to live, and one you do for a living. Those aren't mutually exclusive in the slightest, but there is absolutely no problem with having them be separate ideas.

Many places (Portland and Austin for example) used to be very bohemian places, where artists (who often live with a variety of mental health asterisks that "normal" work is not despised, but unobtainable) were able to afford a low cost of living and keep a healthy amount of time self-expression, whether that be poetry, producing garage music, playing shows, painting, graffiti, etc...

Now a lot of those places are turning into a bourgeois state, where art studios are just lofts with people who like to collect art supplies. It changes the service industry and the accessibility for artists in so many different ways.

You will never have to do without food. Hold your head up high and look up resources like food shelves, government programs like SNAP, and find employers and housing providers that understand basic struggles that use the credit of character, instead of financial history.

If you find your community, be proud of who you are, and help others grow from the lessons you've learned success and failure will become less and less concrete black-and-white ideas. You'll find joy in reaching a goal like living on your own for the first time, or seeing a friend get the courage to move out of their hometown. Stay at it, you're not alone.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.