[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of Slayer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7
File: cover-slayer04.jpg (195 KB, 953x953) Image search: [Google]
cover-slayer04.jpg
195 KB, 953x953
What does /mu/ think of Slayer?
>>
Awesome
>>
File: Slayer-Hell-Awaits.jpg (184 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Slayer-Hell-Awaits.jpg
184 KB, 1000x1000
>>65574931
one of my favorite bands since high school.

213 is a masterpiece and diabolus aint that bad. the rest of the albums are all great imo
>>
A legendary, god-tier band.

Whatever albums you love and hate from Slayer: You can hate everything after Seasons in the Abyss, love the crazy shit they did with Divine Intervention, think God Hates Us All is the pinnacle of 2000's metal, or think that Diabolus is a decent album, it doesn't matter. Slayer has an amazing discography that features numerous 10/10 albums, variety in style over their 30+ years together, and put on the best live show I have ever been to.

The set the trend for thousands of bands because they are fucking amazing.
>>
early stuff is essential kvlt shit, honorary 1st wave by proxy of ethos, paved the way for death and black later on
>>
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/slayer/repentless.html

>a 50 year old man wrote these lyrics
>>
>>65575280
lol thats bad
>>
Alright up until seasons in the abyss. Now they're awful and unoriginal.
>>
>>65575330
It's total dog shit, bar the title track.
>>
>>65575450
Still miles better than the crap Metallica (the Air Supply of metal) has pulled from their butts since 1991.
>>
>>65575522
Maybe, but by Slayer's standards, it's a very shitty album. No amount of hamfisted, "Quick - look over there!"-style misdirection can disguise that fact. Just a bunch of aging manbabbies who can't let it go, no different from Metallica and Megadeth in that regard.
>>
>>65575545
Megadeth haven't had any respect or cred in the metal community in 20 years and Metallica even longer, but at least Metallica are still pretty good live while Megadeth were shit live even in 1991. Slayer not only continued putting out decent-to-good albums during that time, they still killed it live and remain relevant and in touch with the metal community. Metal as a mainstream, major-label genre is dead. This isn't 1985.
>>
>>65575522
Ha! Air Supply of metal, nicely put. And sadly not far from the truth.
>>
Like Maiden and Priest's recent offerings, it's not bad but it won't win any converts. Won't even say Repentless is half-assed, but it's not a comeback either. Albums like these are nothing but an excuse to go out on tour and earn some money. Like Grace Slick said, rock stars should just retire at 50.
>>
>>65575705
Started spinning this a couple of hours on and off. Sounds overproduced with too much of that noisewar thing on heavy albums nowadays. I prefer the lean sound of the Wallace(primitive production) albums. I wonder how it would sound live? Most metal sounds better live imho.
>>
When I saw Slayer at Mayhem Fest last summer, the audience just nodded off during the new songs. "Yeahyeah now get to Angel of Death." The band's playing skills were still as good as ever, but Paul Bostaph left me cold. He's been going downhill for years now. I respect the guy but Dave Lombardo he is not. I wish they'd either kept Dave or found someone else. Bostaph just can't play fast or accurately enough now to do their songs justice. Also Repentless is horrible, worst record in their discography. Diabolus In Musica is way better than this and I hate that album too.
>>
I'm a huge Slayer fan and love their whole catalog except DIM which has some good moments but is mostly very disappointing. Christ Illusion and World Painted Blood were good, in fact CI is probably their best album since the glory days in the 80s, but Repentless was just embarrassing. Horrible production, shit songwriting, Tom Araya was bleh, Bostaph can't play with the speed and intensity their sound requires. He was great on God Hates Us All but his performance on Repentless was just awful. The intro, title track, and You Against You are good songs, When The Stillness Comes and Pride In Prejudice are easily the worst Slayer songs ever bar none. There's a few more good riffs and compositional ideas, but they were all ruined by terrible production and/or songwriting.
>>
>>65576100
>Christ Illusion was good
Opinion disregarded.
>>
>>65576156
What's wrong with CI? Consfearacy, Flesh Storm, and Catalyst are some of their best songs. Skeleton Christ, Cult, Black Serenade all thrash masterpieces way better than South of Heaven or Seasons In The Abyss. Fact.
>>
>>65575745
Worst Slayer record ever. Just awful.
>>
>>65576322
Have to agree with you. Nothing seems to flow. Just not getting that rush from this album. Araya sounds like he's pressing alot in his vocals. Holt clearly demolishes King. But he's a different guitar player then him and Hanneman and I don't think he really fits their style. Bostaph also can't fill Dave Lombardo's shoes.
>>
>>65576245
Christ Illusion was a cheesy attempt to cater to fan requests for them to make another RIB is why. It's not awful, just uninteresting.
>>
>try something different on GHUA and DIM
>fans whine hurr it's not RIB
>band tries to sound more like RIB on their next album
>complain anyway

Like Tony Iommi said, you can't win no matter what you do.
>>
>>65576476
Guess we just disagree then.
>>
>>65576554
well I don't know which are yours favorite albums by Slayer.
I can understand when someone says that they don't like GHUA or Diabolus but I can't understand people who like SOH and SiA and don't like CI and WPB which are faster,more brutal than those two "masterpieces" of 80's and 90's.it's same style but played faster and produced better.
>>
>>65576605
I like Christ Illusion. I like the Bostaph albums too but when I heard CI, it just felt like Slayer again. In saying that, I don't think it has held up too well and whenever I play it now I end up skipping tracks here and there.
>>
Opinions ARE assholes.
>>
I thought Illusion was a great album! Disagree about it being their best since Reign though. I felt WPB just blended together as a whole, mostly forgettable for me. And I know I'm in the minority, but I absolutely love Diabolus.
>>
how could anyone not like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YVArsEEjok
>>
>>65576747
Just sounds like any Slayer album ever.
King's limited riffs, and Araya shouting in line with King's limited riffs.
You know what I mean right. When the guitar goes chugga chugga chug chug and the singer goes lala lala la la..
>>
I'm sorry, but Catalyst is not a good song.
>>
>>65575643

I saw Slayer live earlier this year and it was fucking awesome.

Didn't hurt that Carcass and Testament supported.
>>
Show No Mercy is their best album. Everything else after that is meh.
>>
Repentless is like every Slayer album past the early 90s--solid, but doesn't break any new ground and none of its songs will stay in the live setlist. I mean, really. Their glory days happened in the ancient past and there's no way that songwriting dynamic of Hanneman/Araya can be recaptured. Like all dadrock bands, they tour purely to get money from live shows and merch sales. I'm not sure what fans are still expecting from them. They never have to release another album again; they can tour and play nothing but songs from albums 3-5 for the rest of their lives and they'll still pack venues.
>>
Typical paint-by-numbers material like they've been doing for a while now. It's the same story.

>play 1-2 songs off Repentless on their current tour, the rest of the setlist being songs from the first five albums
>quietly drop those two Repentless songs afterwards and never play them again

There's been very little since the mid-90s that's stayed in the setlist very long, Disciple (off of GHUA) being one notable exception.
>>
>>65575280
>>65575330
>>65575450
good thing Tom is yelling in the song and the band is playing louder so we won't hear how shit their new lyrics are
>>
Do you think Tom mentions singing Slayer lyrics during confession?
>>
>>65574931
anyone know a band like slayer but doesn't sound like something my dad would listen to?
>>
>>65577728
Have you listened to any old school death metal?
>>
Absolutely brvtal.
>>
>>65575280
Man, at least Iommi and Dio aged with dignity.
>>
>>65577728
I'm sorry he used to beat you while playing SOH.
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18 KB, 400x266
>Reign In Blood [Def Jam, 1986]

"I'm not about to check out the complete works of Venom to see if you can't do better, but anyone wondering what gets Washington ladies off these days is advised to beg, borrow, buy, or steal this piece of quote, speed Satanism, un quote. Rick Rubin focused, CBS passed, guitar's quicker than a Theremin on reverb. And to cap it off, 'Jesus Saves' mauls the enemy, which heaven knows isn't Jesus, or Satan either. B+"
>>
>>65577676
Being a child-molesting faggot (see Catholic) myself, I think Tom is pretty based.

>Araya explained that he has a "really strong belief system," and Slayer's words and images will "never interfere with what I believe and how I feel.... People are not in good shape to where they have to question their own belief system because of a book or a story somebody wrote, or a Slayer song."
>>
>>65581461
Isn't Kerry the main fedora in the band?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy2qUkLJA6Y
>>
Slayer's cool in my book.
>>
>>65577216
I'd still take it over post-80s Metallica which is either mediocre radio rock or stupid self-indulgent experimental albums.
>>
File: 6YCzxJa.jpg (26 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
6YCzxJa.jpg
26 KB, 460x276
>>65577728
Modern thrash, Havok, Evile or Essence
>>
File: reddit.jpg (54 KB, 773x595) Image search: [Google]
reddit.jpg
54 KB, 773x595
>>65581477
>...my thing is just rebelling against pretty much organized religion... because personally I think it's a crutch for people that are too weak to get through life on their own.
>>
File: 1392062636117.jpg (12 KB, 259x383) Image search: [Google]
1392062636117.jpg
12 KB, 259x383
>>65576816
>>65576914
>>65576991
>>65577216
>>
>>65581461
He's right. If a book/movie/song/Reddit post makes you question your religious faith, you never had any to begin with.

You'll never change anyone's mind in an argument. The only people who'll agree with you already did.
>>
>>65581591
Dude, you're like 50, not 15 and your grandma made you go to church with her.
>>
>>65574931
I like slayers sound but won't listen because of the overt satanism. I resent any activism, wont listen to Christian rock for the same reason. Don't push your beliefs on me during my liesure time, man. Christian rock obviously sucks more tho.
>>
>>65583405
Do you think someone who actually ever cared about Satan would write lyrics like >>65575280?
>>
>>65575450
There were more good tracks on this than Divine Intervention and you know it. Granted I can't remember any of them but the title track, but then again I have better music to listen to.
>>
>>65575280
One doesn't listen to Slayer for the lyrics to feel intellectual from it.
Only fedora wearing faggots do that.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.