[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/daily/ - Yui edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 119
File: it says daily.jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
it says daily.jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
It's the 2nd of October.

Listen to your library, show off your backlog, talk about new music, tell us what you have been listening to today and what you're going to listen to in the following month, gas the burgeoise, seize the means of production.

https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/
>new topsters

https://plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>new plug.dj room now that it appears to work again

https://synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>fifth dimension of bad choices and silent regret (aka "taste")

http://dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random stuff

Ask about our Skype group if you're interested.

Most importantly, o shit i was supposed to fix the cyrillic.

Previously on /daily/: >>65490496
>>
the boys
>>
File: gerard finds a way.jpg (30 KB, 512x352) Image search: [Google]
gerard finds a way.jpg
30 KB, 512x352
SING IT FOR THE BOYS
>>
first for nice drums

now i've learnt the meme i'm going to adopt it
>>
File: haha lol oh wow.png (881 KB, 600x1343) Image search: [Google]
haha lol oh wow.png
881 KB, 600x1343
>>
File: cheers.jpg (5 KB, 187x176) Image search: [Google]
cheers.jpg
5 KB, 187x176
>>65512677
this one has grown old and bitter
>>
File: some-other-stuff.jpg (27 KB, 450x454) Image search: [Google]
some-other-stuff.jpg
27 KB, 450x454
It's been way too long since I've listened to this guy. This album fucking kills. The people playing on it alone would have guaranteed it worthwhile but these compositions never let up.
>>
>>65512961
Looks cool! Going to listen to that in a min
>>
File: freeform cassette.png (2 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
freeform cassette.png
2 MB, 2000x1500
Starting this because I fell in love with the first two.

>Egaheer - Demo '93 & Demo '94
This is so good. All these songs are some kind of lo-fi, very sloppily played psychedelic garage like in the 60's. The guitar sounds terrible, the drummer is atrocious and it has an incredible sounding organ. On top of that, the singer delivers one of the most ferocious shrieking performance ever. It is so savage and exhilarating you can't be bored by this.
9/10

>Corina Corrina - Corina2 Tour '82
Fantastic performance of solo piano + singing. The piano playing is intense and the singing is very touching. The sound quality is terrible ofc but it's terribly charming. I strongly recommend this if you're into Midori or if you like Daikanjyo.
9/10

>Caduceus - Middle Ages
Don't get fooled by the artwork and the Dungeon Synth tag, this is one of the cutest and comfiest releases I've heard. Someone on Youtube commented "Reminds me of Donkey Kong." and indeed, outside of the first track, is sounds like the soundtrack to a platformer or a rpg from the snes era.
7/10
>>
anime is for dweebs
>>
>>65513090
>>Egaheer - Demo '93 & Demo '94
>This is so good. All these songs are some kind of lo-fi, very sloppily played psychedelic garage like in the 60's. The guitar sounds terrible, the drummer is atrocious and it has an incredible sounding organ. On top of that, the singer delivers one of the most ferocious shrieking performance ever. It is so savage and exhilarating you can't be bored by this.
This sounds tremendous, backlogged

Have you heard the modest mouse cassette, tube-fruit all smiles and chocolate? That should be a part of this chart
>>
File: juni 2016.png (1 MB, 1817x826) Image search: [Google]
juni 2016.png
1 MB, 1817x826
SikTh are head and shoulders above pretty much any other djent band, and it's mostly due to their nu metal influence which manifests in over-the-top passionate vocals and catchy hooks, in a good "harder"/"softer" balance
They're also head and shoulders above pretty much any nu metal band because, coming from prog metal, they bring nice drums and are not content with a predictable rock structure

in even shorter it's a best of both worlds kinda deal

in yet again even shorter it's fun
>>
>>65513179
No but I will, thanks
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-05-27 13.20.12.png (2 MB, 1802x1350) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-05-27 13.20.12.png
2 MB, 1802x1350
>Yamir
>Eluvium - Talk Amongst The Trees
I don’t normally enjoy ambient and loop stuff, but this was pretty good.

>Thomas
>Galaxie 500 - On Fire
I remember listening to a bit of this a while back because it got posted a lot and was influential to the development of indie. Initially I did not like it. Now it is confirmed that I do not like it. Okay saying I don’t like it is a little strong, I actually thought the second half of the album was pretty nice, but really this style is just not for me, I don’t like emo or slowcore or Morrissey-type musicians. Or the weird vocal crescendos. uuuuuUUUUAAAHHHHHHHHWHENWILLYOUAHHHHHHHHH.
I’ll probably give this a relisten when I’m feeling especially angsty and sad.

>Terminus
>Wipers - Youth of America
Pretty good but a bit samey. I like the last track.

I’m gonna saayyyy, thattttt Yamir and Thomas advance. FOR THE FINAL ROUND!!!

Pic related is to remind you of my taste.
>>
>>65512631
why tf did u post with the wrong kirilica
this triggers me
>>
>>65513701
>Yamir and Thomas advance. FOR THE FINAL ROUND!!!
last time i went up against thomas in a tourney i won so maybe my first tourney win?

my recs are
Glenn Branca - The Ascension

if heard, try the following
Keiji Haino, Jim O'Rourke, Oren Ambarchi - Imikuzushi
Dead - Musical Abortions
>>
>>65513701
>liked my album
>didn't like Thomas's
>Thomas advances
huh?
>>
>>65513862
maybe you were up against me idk
the important thing is i won
>>
>>65513833
I like O'rourke and I don't like Haino, let's see what happens.

>>65513862
>>65513900
It was kind of a three way toss up t b h and I had to eliminate someone.
>>
>>65514081
Filtered.
>>
>>65514098
:(
>>
>>65514081
>I like O'rourke and I don't like Haino
Unfiltered.
>>
File: ugly bastard.jpg (26 KB, 489x356) Image search: [Google]
ugly bastard.jpg
26 KB, 489x356
>>65514126
give me one good reason why I shouldn't filter you when you clearly hate me
>>
>>65513833
>>65513900
nice dubs kid

>>65514081
>I like O'rourke and I don't like Haino, let's see what happens.
you seem to be a big nerd for noise rock so you'll definitely like it

>>65514177
>agreeing with that opinion
Filtered. Again.
>>
>>65514216
>disagreeing with that fact
I'm sure keeping you filtered.
>>
>>65512961
ye boi

>>65513082
ye boi
>>
File: yeboi.png (263 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
yeboi.png
263 KB, 500x500
>>65514554
>>
File: yeboi.png (264 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
yeboi.png
264 KB, 500x500
>>65514642
>>
File: 60s+70s stuff.png (2 MB, 1545x1296) Image search: [Google]
60s+70s stuff.png
2 MB, 1545x1296
>Music Emporium - s/t

Yeah, this is some pretty decent psych pop.
It's got some pretty great organ playing on it. Not too big on the vocals or the lyrics though, kind of mediocre in that department
The opener is great, as is "Gentle Thursday", "Cage", and "Day of Wrath".
The rest isn't bad but pretty forgettable.

[BONUS RECORD STORE REVIEWS]

>Melanie - s/t

Boy, they really bank on the "cute hippie chick" aesthetic with this record.
Pretty rough A-side to this record. Starts out with an okay-ish somber chamber folk song, but then quickly shifts gears to this bluesy folk rock thing for the next few songs that really doesn't match her voice and the songs are just plain awful.
Speaking of her voice, it's extremely bizarre. She sounds like an 80 year old, pitch-shifted, grandma, with chronic vibrato. Takes a while to get used to. Didn't really vibe with me til 2/3's of the way in.
B-side things get a bit more interesting. The instrumentals are less predictable and feel less like they're just piggy backing off popular sounds. Even gets a teensy bit psychedelic on a few tracks.
if this album was just the last track of the A side and the B side it wouldn't be half bad.

~

>Leo Kottke - Greenhouse

I saw all the John Fahey connections and expected this to be a solid American Primitive record.
But what I got was about 50% American Primitivism and 50% crappy 70's Folk Rock.
Kottke is a really talented player I'll give him that, and when he covers Fahey on this record, it's spot on.
But he doesn't seem to have any good ideas of his own. All the stuff with him singing on it sounds like it should have been on a Crosby, Stills, and Nash album. And aside from the Fahey covers and the last song, none of the solo guitar work really stuck out as that spectacular.

~

(cont)
>>
File: Untitle.png (63 KB, 1387x73) Image search: [Google]
Untitle.png
63 KB, 1387x73
ahahahah
HAHAHA
NOW IT BEGINS
>>
File: 20160605_183142.jpg (2 MB, 1596x2165) Image search: [Google]
20160605_183142.jpg
2 MB, 1596x2165
>>65514699
>Judy Mayhan - Folk Songs of Old Eire (With Dulcimer)

Pleasant Celtic influenced contemporary folk music with delicate vocals.
Lump it in with the Vashti Bunyans and Sybille Baier's of the world, I'd say she stands up right with them.
The hammered dulcimer really helps the record escape redundancy.
Although the A side is far stronger than the B.

>Roberta Flack - Chapter Two

God DAMN this is one sexy, sexy record.
It's a slow burner, but if you like your soul smooth, powerful, and climactic, this should be up your alley.
Not every song is a winner, but those that strike a chord, man do they hit hard!
The only song I outright don't like is the very bizarre closer. It's got some pretty poignant lyrics, but the instrumental is very offputting and it goes no where.

>Irene and Ellen Kossoy - Bowling Green and Other Folk Songs From the Southern Mountains

Incredibly sung versions of old Appalachian folk songs.
The Kossoy sisters sound like angels singing songs of murder and theft and disaster. I love all the storytelling in the lyrics, it's like reading a history book and listening to wonderful music all at the same time.
I wish they switched up the instrumentation more often, they advertised banjo playing but only like two songs had it.

(cont)
>>
File: chart.png (3 MB, 3420x1780) Image search: [Google]
chart.png
3 MB, 3420x1780
alright, two more

>Early Day Miners - Let Us Garlands Bring

didn't expect to find something so good this soon. quickly exceeded my expectations. has some absolutely fantastic slowcore jams. really picks up around the 3rd song and doesn't fall flat after that.

>Sophia - The Infinite Circle

some good tracks on this. nothing too too special. just some nice, solid slowcore. nothing to complain about, but also nothing to praise either. a lot more "indie" inspired, also.
>>
File: 3476.jpg (59 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
3476.jpg
59 KB, 620x372
>>65514212
Because of these sick dubs ^^^^
>>
File: 20160601_130257.jpg (2 MB, 1652x1858) Image search: [Google]
20160601_130257.jpg
2 MB, 1652x1858
>>65514748
>Johnny Osbourne - Rub a Dub Soldier

This is some killer Digital Dancehall.
There are some real party tracks to blast on this (Budy Bye fucking slaps!). Heavy, HEAVY, bass lines.
Prince Jammy really fucks the tracks up (in a good way). Total dub destruction, very trippy and spacey.
I would love this album a lot more if they put more of an effort to blend the two artists than just "Song 1, Song 1 Dub, Song 2, Song 2 dub, etc." Get's kinda boring hearing the same song twice basically, even if the dub versions are great.

>Pierre Bensusan - Près de Paris

The album is sort of an interesting blend between French and Celtic folk music.
The instrumental tracks with hornpipes and fifes are quite good
And the guitar playing on this is excellent, it comes through on the recording so full and detailed.
When he tries to sing in English I sort of lose interest, his voice isn't the greatest and the playing is really the strength on this album, to have it take a backseat is a misstep.

>Lou Rawls - You've Made Me So Very Happy

Very nice cover, better than the music inside unfortunately.
I guess I expected something a bit more personal or emotionally gripping, but instead it's just some alright soul.
Well produced and it sounds very tight instrumentally, but other than the select few fast tempo cuts, nothing really sticks out.

~
>>
>>65514769
even lee perry disappointed in that lack of dubs
>>
>>65514900
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
>>
>>65514900
>>65514931
and that's how you do it son
>>
File: swag.jpg (111 KB, 819x834) Image search: [Google]
swag.jpg
111 KB, 819x834
Heya /daily/!

Instead of getting drunk with my colleagues I decided to stay at the hotel and listen to Jandek. 3 albums, 17 CDs (wew) left.

I sense that I will write just generalizing reviews for both Song Of Morgan and Ghost Passing because describing 14 hours of solo piano wanking might be a tricky thing.
>>
>>65515086
>Instead of getting drunk with my colleagues I decided to stay at the hotel and listen to Jandek.
lmao, classic
>>
File: haha o wow.png (1 MB, 600x1342) Image search: [Google]
haha o wow.png
1 MB, 600x1342
>>65515086
>>
Should I watch 'Y tu Mama Tambien' or 'Alphaville' tonight? And why?
>>
>>65515722
Neither.
Listen to Alphaville instead.
>>
File: tourney.png (1 MB, 2336x1188) Image search: [Google]
tourney.png
1 MB, 2336x1188
>>
File: mm.jpg (437 KB, 640x791) Image search: [Google]
mm.jpg
437 KB, 640x791
hmm
>>
File: Only oldboyz will remember this.png (795 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Only oldboyz will remember this.png
795 KB, 2000x1500
Since I'm in Hungary, I think it is appropriate for me to finish reviewing this one. I finished listening to it several times already, but never bothered to finish the reviews.
>>
>>65515897
I can't remember who rec'd compulsion, but if you'd like to choose another that would be great :)
>>
>>65515722
Star Spangled to Death
>>
>>65516047
o shit ya!
twas me

Next is Luciano Cilio - Dialoghi Del Presente
(assuming you haven't heard)
>>
>>65516130
I haven't, I will add it :)
>>
File: casiopea 029.png (146 KB, 254x500) Image search: [Google]
casiopea 029.png
146 KB, 254x500
Oh boy, oh boy oh boy, Casiopea played and remixed by some studio rats and cats. Two of my favourite things put together.
IF there is one thing that can be said about Casiopea, it is that they really do manage to preserve their own identity while keeping their sound perfectly accessible to the listener. Whereas many smooth or fusion groups tend to all indulge into the same sort of aesthetic or playing style, Casiopea do have their own little world in which they tend to get lost. So when you take their colorful little planet and invite people to land on it and play there, it is deemed to go either very wrong or very well.
And both do happen.
And boy was it a blast to swim through that thing.
Depending on who is playing, things here can go from some lightly electronic jazz not too far from St. Germain, to some tight acid jazz to some hilariously out-of-place dubby party mix.
I'm not sure if it's become I've grown so familiar to the compositions here after hearing them on several albums and live recordings, but this was a great experience to revisit things I'm starting to know well and see how they can be bended and tweaked. What happens if you actually have some bass presence instead of Sakurai's slapping madness? What happens if you splice and cut Issei Noroi's guitar leads? What happens if you give an organ to Minoru Mukaiya, or a xylophone? What the hell happens if you give a Casiopea song to some jamaican party animal from Bristol and tell him to have his fun?
All these question and more are answered.
Now, I know perfectly well that this really isn't that great an album. A lot of the tracks here are a bit clunky, some are arguably bad.
But man I haven't had that much fun listening to music in a long, long time.
>>
>>65516570
will u rate all of this on rym
>>
>>65516607
I dunno. The reason why I barely use RYM is because I want to write a review before I rate something. And I don't really feel like I could re-use the reviews I make here.
So probably not.
Definitly not. I'd need to re-listen to everything to take a closer look at everything and give a better rating and write something.
>>
>>65516667
ok then!!!
but rating these albums r a good thing 4 the website because a lot of things are unrated there and not getting recognition
>>
File: 1465283270092.jpg (47 KB, 523x720) Image search: [Google]
1465283270092.jpg
47 KB, 523x720
>>65513748
i forgot

>>65515897
idk man i just wanted there to be an album with ">tfw" in its title
dlb probably made that tho, or hanging dong, or whatever other collaborative projects mu came up with
make a backlog chart of those y/n?

>>65515996
fingers crossed you'll meet up with cunt

>>65516667
>I don't really feel like I could re-use the reviews I make here.
why tho
rym has metric tons of lower quality content seeping through every corner
>>
>>65516717
In one hand, I'm pretty sure I have never dug deep enough into any genre to find stuff that would require exposure.
In the other hand, I sort of want to contribute t oCasiopea's eternal glory now that they have bashed over my head enough for me to like them.

Still, I'd need to write a whole lot of stuff.
And I don't think I could be bothered.
>>
>>65516823
A lot of the stuff I write on /daily/ is pretty hard to take outside of that context. It goes with the charts, review on the 20 scale, it's written like something you could find on 4chan when stumbling upon a post that talks about something rather than something you would find while researching an album.

And even if RYM has low quality content (I dunno, I barely use it in the first place) I don't want to lower it even more with my shitty chanspeakese and broken english.
>>
>>65516823
that chart could be cool
>>
>>65516898
Man, you're not lowering the quality of content, you're adding to it.
It's like a 5 star review on amazon for a cable that just says "it werk gud".
Yeah, not a top quality detailed review, but at least you know the cable werk gud, and that's infinitely more helpful than if nobody ever left a review, because they couldn't be bothered to go into incredible detail.
>>
>>65516823
>fingers crossed you'll meet up with cunt
He won't.
>>
File: kjhgkjhg.png (207 KB, 1252x350) Image search: [Google]
kjhgkjhg.png
207 KB, 1252x350
So. the mixtape tournament.
the theme I assigned to karenin this round was "music for creation and/or destruction". Pic related is what I got. I assume this was destruction.
I actually got a really good laugh, and the music was pretty good. this mix gets 10 out of 10 meme points, usurping SDC's postion as the meme king supreme of this tournament.
but in the score that actually means something, I enjoyed the music less than the mixtapes it was up against.
(cont.)
>>
>>65517036
Main difference being, there might not be much to say about a cable. Once you are done with the strudiness of the metallic parts, the resistance to pull with attention to the junctions on the heads and the natural curbature of the wire, you can really just sum it up with "it werk gud lads"
Reviewing music is something else, and some half-assed job might be worse than nothing at all.
There is much more to take into account. A proper rating would require at least one or two careful listen instead of being a first reaction or impression (which is what /daily/ is for). A proper review would require at least that.
Fug, I probably couldn't write a proper review if I actually tried.
>>
>>65517140
this looks mem as fuck
>>
File: 1396464540775.gif (2 MB, 600x435) Image search: [Google]
1396464540775.gif
2 MB, 600x435
>>65516898
just tweak them a bit and dw, youre already better at this than most of rym

>>65517050
>mfw
>>
>>65517205
same
>>
>>65517223
>>65517205
later this year :(
>>
File: 5326259.jpg (550 KB, 800x789) Image search: [Google]
5326259.jpg
550 KB, 800x789
>Jandek - Maze of the Phantom

Where do you go from here? You enter a maze.

The following Jandek album contains 2 CDs (first studio double album from the man) with the performance and the rehearsals of a single piece.

Maze of the Phantom isn’t as surprising as his previous album was, but is interesting nevertheless. Starting off with a new line up, we get a cello, guitar, someone playing a harp, a flautist, a female vocalist and someone playing all sorts of percussion. Piano and a synth get introduced eventually. It is very soothing and is basically the Jandek project gone GY!BE but much more psychedelic. I am not sure where exactly the Rep fits in (aren’t they all “Reps” at this point), but this sounds completely different from his usual output. Duh.

I guess that he plays the guitar that shows up every once in a while. No vocals from him. The vocals that we get remind me of this piece by John Cage titled Aria, where the female vocalists are improvising in a rather “primal” matter by carrying out vowels in different styles. It does compliment the lunacy of the slow piece, especially next to the cello. However, the piece itself is a bit too linear. There are upswings in the improvisations and sometimes they try to cram on top of each other, but it moves in the same direction throughout the entire piece. The thing I liked about the previous album is how you could clearly tell that there was an instant switch in the mindset of the instrument player because Smith and Youngs switched roles all the time. Don’t think that is the case here.

I don’t know. I think the piece itself is pleasant but it is just so, for the lack of a better word, "proper". Maybe this is what Sterling was talking about when he said that at some point he dropped the poetry of loss. Also it is way too long. I don’t think it was really necessary. I guess it was ok, but this is sort of a let down after a brilliant release.

6/10
>>
File: 22mixes.png (2 MB, 1604x1308) Image search: [Google]
22mixes.png
2 MB, 1604x1308
>>65517140
MIXTAPE TOURNEY FINALS

oh man, you guys. the rake is so close now. it's just begging to be won.

SDC made a really great mix. My favorite tracks were Trouble Every Day by Zappa, All Along the Watchtower by Hendrix (I adored this song when I was younger), and Nothing by The Fugs-- but SDC's strength is in making mashups. The closer is what makes this mix great- Laurie Anderson's O Superman spliced with Whitehouse's Cut Hands Has The Solution. Absolute genius.

Benji also made a really stellar mix for me, the theme of which was love. It opens on two gorgeous fado songs by Carlos Paredes and Amália Rodrigues. My favorite songs on the mix are those, Snowstorm by Galaxie 500, Open by Rhye (a song I knew prior), and Feel You by Julia Holter.

Benji's mix was underwhelming initially, whereas SDC's grabbed me immediately. As time has passed though, I find myself listening to Benji's mix, Sweet Kisses and Sour Sweats, much more than cunt's C.B.L. presents Sparagmos.

Benji advances in to the final round, against sshx.

sshx, I cant remember what theme you're doing. could you remind me?

Benji, your final mix must be under 1 hour and fit one of the following themes:
inclement weather
hype/party music
drone/noise/ambient mix
>>
File: 1434956382876.jpg (37 KB, 488x488) Image search: [Google]
1434956382876.jpg
37 KB, 488x488
inb4 somedumb loses his mind because he was so sure he'd advance
>>
File: dick de booi.png (846 KB, 360x600) Image search: [Google]
dick de booi.png
846 KB, 360x600
>>65517664
u fuccen nerd ass rigged as fucc smdh
>>
Only 15 CDs of piano wanking separate me from finalizing Jandek's 54 album studio discography. I'll leave you at that /daily/.

Good night!
>>
>>65517760
that's some rigorous commitment
>>
>>65517664
Tbqh tho I thought I'd win so I started preparing another thing but I had zero (0) ideas for music or memes, so I'm really glad I didn't.

You're still a dirty rigger tho.
>>
I refuse to post further in a thread like this >:(
>>
File: mad.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
mad.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
>>65517752
>>
>>65517760
Only 14.6 hours! You got this!

>>65517828
oops
>>
>>65517828
I'll miss you.
>>
call me an uncultured swine but I really don't like pre-romantic music

this meaning these Bach Cantatas are making me unhappy
>>
>>65517825
you should probably make a youtube channel for your mashups, if not just to play them in the plug/sync. i'd subscribe.
>>
>>65517961
you're an uncultured swine :8)
>>
File: residents live.jpg (126 KB, 750x563) Image search: [Google]
residents live.jpg
126 KB, 750x563
>>65517760
i wish i could be as dedicated to my favorite artist as you are

but i mean come on who would want to sit through more than one of these? you really only need one release and that's it
>>
>>65517829
I'm not a baby, I'm a tumor.
>>
>>65517994
Literally no effort went into them. All three took about two minutes to make in a program I never used before. I'm not proud of them and I have no interest in making more.
>>
File: 1427.gif (2 KB, 48x48) Image search: [Google]
1427.gif
2 KB, 48x48
>>65518017
i deserve it
>>
>>65518077
Cool apple, I looked at it.
>>
>>65518072
I just registered youtube.com/somedumbcuntmashups I will sell to you for $500
>>
>>65518120
Will you accept memes as a form of payment?
>>
File: not-a-baby-im-a-tumor.png (202 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
not-a-baby-im-a-tumor.png
202 KB, 500x313
>>65518049
I love hellboy
>>65518072
they're really good. whether you're proud of them or not, i'm proud of them on your behalf.
If I had any friends who I thought would want to hear lo-fi screaming part way through Purple Stuff, I would be bragging that it was made for me.
>>
>>65517961
Didn't Bach eventually start composing weird, atonal stuff eventually too? I remember hearing in a documentary that he experimented a bit
>>
>>65518146
hmm, what's the pepe to $ conversion rate these days?

>>65518040
I really don't see the merit in listening to multiple live recordings of the same songs.
Like, isn't that what going to concerts is for?
>>
>>65518182
I'm not sure, I'd rather listen to stuff like that honestly. I was supremely bored less than 10 minutes in to the first cantata
>>
>>65518212
A quality rare pepe goes for around 137$ these days. I'll give you 5 fresh ones, will that do?
>>
>>65518182
>ʕ ^ᴥ^ʔ
good new face
btw doing jcard interior like RIGHT NOW.
>>
>>65518265
Sounds good m8, make sure to triple encrypt them so they're not intercepted by somalian memepirates.
>>
>>65518268
That's so cool man, did Robby ever get back to you or are you going at this alone?

>>65518246
Same here, I find more beauty in Vladimir Martynov's minimalist compositions and Terry Riley's modern experimentation more so than any purist take on classical. (Though every time Hampus puts on something in the plug it makes me think twice about it)
>>
File: jimoroukehalfwaytoathreewayep.jpg (303 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
jimoroukehalfwaytoathreewayep.jpg
303 KB, 600x600
>>65518336
I'm pleasantly surprised by Pluxus, didn't expect warm synth jams
>>
File: lnc.png (1 MB, 1350x1118) Image search: [Google]
lnc.png
1 MB, 1350x1118
Gas - Gas 0095
[1995]
>ambient techno

aphex twin + jean michel jarre
>>
>>65518432
ooops put the score on the wrong record oh wow lol
instead of the 7 on urban bushmen it should be on gas
>>
File: lnc.png (1 MB, 1350x1118) Image search: [Google]
lnc.png
1 MB, 1350x1118
>>65518448
yeah ok
>>
>>65518336
he did, I told him how to send me drawings and sent him the cover so he knows what the front looks like
>>
>>65518474
>>65518448
>>65518432
Lay off the herb, kid

>>65518414
Agreed, haven't been this satisfied with a blind cop since I got a Muslimgauze cd in 2013
>>
>>65518505
Yessssssss
You're the man Nyar.
>>
>>65518040
Dog's only doing Jandek studio, tho
>>
>listen to music
>need something to do while listening to music
>read /mu/ while listening to music
>discover even more music
>need something to do while listening to even more music
>read /mu/ while listening to even more music
>discover EVEN MORE music
>need something to do while listening to EVEN MORE music
>read /mu/...

Is this even a bad thing?
>>
>>65518613
just put an album on and stare out a window
>>
>>65518613
I love lurking /mu/ while an album plays. I do believe it's great to have a sit and enjoy the music solely but having activities to go along with it like work or driving can make for some great memories (especially if you find a memorable thread)
>>
>>65518333
Ok, here's the Pepes. Don't spend them all in one place.
NOBODY ELSE DOWNLOAD THE PEPES OK?
>>
>>65518902
Wow, didn't even link the Pepes.
https://mega.nz/#!IN0FFB7T!Zsv8OAIv8tIkhqhgnfXEiJKuoaiOi7vOh0SZFqEDd4M
Seriously tho these Pepes are only for Jangle and/or Bojangle, if you download them and you're neither Jangle nor Bojangle I'll sue you.
>>
File: lame.png (155 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
lame.png
155 KB, 1600x900
>>65518939
those are some pretty weak pepes desu
>tfw no musical abortions pepe
>>
>>65519040
you fucking faggot you'll hear from my lawyer trashman mark my words
>>
File: owl4.gif (1021 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
owl4.gif
1021 KB, 500x269
>>65519040
reported
>>
>>65518474
>>65518448
>>65518432
Never lay off the herb, kid.
>>
>>65518939
thanks, here's a rare glimpse at my rare pepe stash

The YT password is :
##*groin(^w5ffMEMES69fukme69MEME69pepe<3
>>
File: dibbley.jpg (23 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
dibbley.jpg
23 KB, 500x313
>>65519148
please no porn, this is a blue board
>>
File: pig-164.jpg (231 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
pig-164.jpg
231 KB, 1440x900
>>
File: owl7.gif (2 MB, 245x240) Image search: [Google]
owl7.gif
2 MB, 245x240
>>65520006
cute snoot on de pigger
but it's no owl
>>
Do 'does anyone know any music like _______' questions belong in these threads?
>>
>>65520244
Make your dreams a reality
>>
>>65520244
whatcha lookin for, anon?
>>
File: 500x500.jpg (71 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
500x500.jpg
71 KB, 500x500
what memes can i add to this?
>>
File: homemade meme.png (530 KB, 720x680) Image search: [Google]
homemade meme.png
530 KB, 720x680
i also made this in case you missed it
>>
>>65520336
>>65520376
I will. Thanks for believing in me.

Does anyone know any music like Midori Takada's 'Crossing'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sXuKaoKtdQ

Where two (or some small amount of) rhythms are slightly out of phase with each other, and just by shifting around and adapting slightly, some complex, seamlessly morphing structure seems to emerge?

I guess another example would be 'Music for 18 musicians' by Steve Reich:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCkd46hcRag

but I don't find it that pleasant to listen to. It's so long, and doesn't really feel like it's building to anything. But maybe I need to give it the dark room headphones treatment.
>>
>>65520476
I literally just listened to that 10 mins ago
>>
>>65520528
or just complex rhythms emerging out of simple components. It doesn't have to be shifting in phases or anything.

I thought of some more examples: Korean Samulnori

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-q9tvKrZcQ

and then maybe african drumming, or jazz drum solos? There's a solo in a live version of 'pursuance' from A Love Supreme that's kind of on that same vein. I hope these examples give enough of an idea if my words haven't made much sense.
>>
>>65520521
Is that big boi you?
>>
>>65520528
Check out Gamelan maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkmv06jkym0
>>
File: 500x500.jpg (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
500x500.jpg
57 KB, 500x500
made some more adjustments

>>65520621
no, it's /daily/, can't you read?
>>
>>65520528
fuck, that's a good question. I was recently listening to the glow pt. 2 and admiring how from 0:40 to 1:40 the guitar falls in and out of time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWi4BjzVk6s
that's not quite what you described though. i'd sure like to hear more of what you're looking for, too.
>>65520577
you may enjoy this piece that Geinoh Yamashirogumi wrote for Akira. (sorry to link the scene, but the audio always gets pulled from YT) https://youtu.be/_b9akEQQJng
>>
>>65520642
I'm only 30 seconds in but yeah, this is what I had in mind. That unexpected pause at about 25 seconds made me laugh for some reason. This reminds of Samulnori actually. Thanks for the recommendation.
>>
>>65520768
skip to 1:40 in the akira vid >>65520577
>>
File: AikraOriginalSoundtrack.jpg (28 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
AikraOriginalSoundtrack.jpg
28 KB, 300x300
>>65520776
>I'm only 30 seconds in but yeah, this is what I had in mind.
oh yeah I definitely recommend the whole AKIRA ost then
i'm glad you found what you wanted!
>>
>>65520642
what record is this from? I love it
>>
File: zzgoldenrainbalineseg_101b.jpg (120 KB, 548x552) Image search: [Google]
zzgoldenrainbalineseg_101b.jpg
120 KB, 548x552
>>65520886
Golden Rain
It's a Gamelan compilation from Bali
>>
>>65520776
No problem, glad you like it! the next song on the album I think fits your description even better but alas youtube has failed me.
Check out the whole album for sure though! >>65520941
>>
>>65520697
I can't.
>>
Can I get some nice pleb recs please guys? Shelving my jazz chart for now as I'm really not in the mood for it, need to listen to some easier shite to get back into posting here.

>>65520521
nice
>>
>>65521031
Tim Buckley - Greetings From LA
>>
>>65520768
the guitar at that part is interesting, yeah. It's subtle. Like the structure is saying the same but where they place the emphasis is shifting around.

>>65520797
I listened from the start, because I think the soundtrack was there, just really faint. Kind of strange because the button sounds from the bikes sound similar to the percussion. And then the music gets more intense in the chase scene. I suppose they've always got bikes on their minds. Some of the more simple percussion bits are on the wavelength.

Thanks!

I found another track from that record on youtube btw. Going to try and track down the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2y5vC8T23E
>>
File: sondre lerche flowchart.png (1 MB, 2616x2704) Image search: [Google]
sondre lerche flowchart.png
1 MB, 2616x2704
>>65521031
>Can I get some nice pleb recs please guys?
i'm your man
Faces down has a pretty standard sound, but with really good songwriting.
>>65521078
you're welcome, anon. if you find anything else in that vein that's good, share it here, i'd love to hear it
>>
>>65521078
Damn, that's the one I was looking for
Must have missed a "ili" or something lol
The last track is the whole side 2 and it's like a tribal chant of sorts if you're into that sort of thing. I think it's neat, but it's much different than these 2.
>>
>>65521139
will do man.

>>65521143
haha. I just reverse image searched the cover and it came up. I guess this is side 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN5JBbQ_Q1M
>>
File: mustard.jpg (82 KB, 665x531) Image search: [Google]
mustard.jpg
82 KB, 665x531
>>65521139
>you're welcome, anon.
He liked my rec you mustard sandwich, quit trying to take credit
>>
>>65521182
yep, that's it!
CHA CHA CHA!
CHCAHCAHCHAHCHCH
>>
>>65521059
Thanks, never listened to Tim Buckley before actually, would you still rec for someone who's never listened to him before?

>>65521139
alrigt will give him a listen. should probably have listened to him already when I was posting a lot with the amount I saw him mentioned.
>>
>>65521223
>you mustard sandwich
kek
>>65521309
yey
most dailyposters are underwhelmed, but he's my favorite songwriter
>>
>>65521309
>would you still rec for someone who's never listened to him before?
NO, do Goodbye and Hello if you like folk or Happy Sad if you want some relaxing jazzy stuff.
>>
File: 1465303332974.jpg (41 KB, 500x660) Image search: [Google]
1465303332974.jpg
41 KB, 500x660
>yui edition
>only 1 (one) yui itt so far
>>
File: Yui.png (247 KB, 470x517) Image search: [Google]
Yui.png
247 KB, 470x517
>>65512631
Good OP
>>65521031
IU - Chat-Shire

I swear, it's good.
>>65521566
Yo
>>
>>65521566
>>65521840
S T O P
NO MORE ANIME IN DAIRY
>>
File: homemade meme.png (400 KB, 720x680) Image search: [Google]
homemade meme.png
400 KB, 720x680
>>65521566
>>65521840
no anime allowed here
>>
File: hahahaha oh wow.png (1 MB, 600x1350) Image search: [Google]
hahahaha oh wow.png
1 MB, 600x1350
>>65522249
>>
File: 1463948526833.jpg (29 KB, 412x430) Image search: [Google]
1463948526833.jpg
29 KB, 412x430
>>65518613
dude same

>>65521566
no get that weeb shit outta here
>>
>>65522249
>>65522252
FUCC THE MEME POLICE ARE AFTER ME

Good meme tho, yams
>>
File: 1464316235612.png (374 KB, 540x429) Image search: [Google]
1464316235612.png
374 KB, 540x429
>>65520521
>>65522252
I'm a big fan of this meme btw
>>
File: 1465430487250.png (559 KB, 720x680) Image search: [Google]
1465430487250.png
559 KB, 720x680
>>65522252
>>65521223
>>65521341
>>
i saw a film and keiji haino made an appearance in it, i won
>>
File: co.png (618 KB, 720x702) Image search: [Google]
co.png
618 KB, 720x702
>>65522343
is this you?

>>65522498
what film
>>
>>65522521
Endless Waltz. It's a Kaoru Abe biopic and a p good film
>>
File: 1464635007035.jpg (24 KB, 314x295) Image search: [Google]
1464635007035.jpg
24 KB, 314x295
>>65522441
>>65522521
Come on guys the horse has only been dead a minute
>>
File: Untitled.png (530 KB, 718x684) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
530 KB, 718x684
>>65522604
nah
>>
File: haha daily.jpg (163 KB, 720x680) Image search: [Google]
haha daily.jpg
163 KB, 720x680
guys "haha"
>>
File: 1464425652838.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1464425652838.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>65522621
Now that's more like it
>>
>>65522565
That sounds great. Gotta watch it sometime.
>>65522621
Wew lad that's spicy
>>
>>65522621
>>65522650
>when you make a good meme and it literally turns to shit the same day
thanks, /daily/
>>
>>65522734
this is huh
haha oh wow lol
>>
>>65522734
haha oh wow
lol
>>
File: 1465425397415.png (653 KB, 720x680) Image search: [Google]
1465425397415.png
653 KB, 720x680
>>65522734
thanks I'm going to keep making shitty memes
>>
File: image.jpg (235 KB, 720x680) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
235 KB, 720x680
Who /tryhardtofitin/ here? :D
>>
>>65522815
me
is it working
please say yes
>>
File: chart 2.jpg (287 KB, 994x1099) Image search: [Google]
chart 2.jpg
287 KB, 994x1099
>Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot for New Zero Canada
Now that i've finally listened to all gybe's releases it's cool to see how their sound changed over time. The first song on this ep was really great and stayed with the gosdpeed tradition of finding interesting ways to grow in intensity to a climax. I don't know if this is true cause i haven't listened to the other albums in a while, but i think the bass was more prominent which was cool to hear. The spoken sample part in song 2 is kindof eh for me. I liked how in the beginning it grew with intensity with the music, but the rest of it fell a bit flat. I liked the drums a lot about 3/4ths of the way through the song. green diamond/10
Favorite Track: Moya
FA∞>LYSF=Yanqui U.X.O.>Slow Riot>Allelujah>Asunder
>>
>>65522815
haha me(me)
>>
>>65522876
Don't ask me, I don't count
>>
File: daily meme.jpg (346 KB, 720x680) Image search: [Google]
daily meme.jpg
346 KB, 720x680
>>65522815
me haha
>>
File: canuck_frowny_pigger.png (127 KB, 383x376) Image search: [Google]
canuck_frowny_pigger.png
127 KB, 383x376
>>65522903
>tfw canucker
>>
File: daikanjyo.jpg (64 KB, 594x580) Image search: [Google]
daikanjyo.jpg
64 KB, 594x580
More like this, pretty please
>>
File: new class conscious meme.png (2 MB, 720x680) Image search: [Google]
new class conscious meme.png
2 MB, 720x680
Let's get class conscious in here.
>>
>>65523052
haha oh wow
lol
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 750x1334
>>65523097
Get thinkin, buddy
>>
>>65523639
o fuk
did i win
>>
>>65523727
No [spoiler]but ur advancing[/spoiler]
>>
File: 1464835228704.jpg (34 KB, 960x498) Image search: [Google]
1464835228704.jpg
34 KB, 960x498
The reviews are coming btw

>>65523639
Oh wait, what happened to my round?
>>
>>65523955
The archive links to ruggles' rec are all dead, so I've got it on hold at my <3 local library <3
>>
>>65517140
glad you enjoyed it!
>>
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 750x1334
>>65524030
Meant to include pic
>>
>>65524030
>>65524056
Oh cool
>>
>>65523639
here come dat rec!
o shit whaddup
>>
>>65522903
I counted 11 time zones
>>
>>65524182
here's the writing about it, in case it helps

Dave Holland Quartet - Conference of the Birds

For a jazz pleb like me, it's nice when I can get a sense early on of what kind of jazz album I'll be listening to. This album was difficult to get a foothold in on my first listen, since the first three tracks, to me, sound like entirely different albums. Frantic freeness, patient experimenting conversation, catchy smooth doodling. The back half of the album continues to play between these three styles, but by this point I was kind of expecting anything. Thankfully, everything that's done here is done well. The high point for me is about a minute before the opener ends, when one of the reed instruments starts to desperately try to bring the theme back in before the track crash lands, and the other instruments begrudgingly allow it. Still a helpless jazz virgin, but this one is definitely something I'd like to hear more of. A little trying on my patience when it slows down, like on the second track. On this album, freer is definitely better. 3.5+

Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso U.F.O. - La Nòvia

Even farther from what I know and can assess than the Dave Holland. The best I can say is that I never wanted to turn it off, even though it's challenging. The worst I can say is that at times it didn't hold my attention, although it was always enjoyable when I was focusing. Didn't light me on fire or awaken anything in me, not sure how much I want to pursue similar music, but I don't regret hearing it and I'll probably keep it around for spins in the background at work. 3.0
>>
File: Hasture_june_2016.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Hasture_june_2016.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1000
>The Gerogerigegege - Moenai Hai
>noise rock, drone, ambient

What a bizarre album, even for Gerogerigegege. The first track is this musical concrète track with this low rumbling drone that almost sounds like a field recording of a city, musical notes creak and squeak in the background only adds to a sort of tension. Follow is a shoegazy noise riff that blast out of nowhere, High energy, chaotic, and utterally wild. The other two track are more ambient like with first one being rather dark and bleak. While the other comes across as a slowly fading lullaby.

As a whole not quit what I expect from these guys but still rather interesting.

>Happy Flowers - Oof
>noise rock,

Holy this the song writing in this is fucking fun. It's a anthem to every bratty, emotionally traumatized, little shit kid that has ever existed. Songs about picking scabs, wanting real weapons instead of shitty toys in happy meals, not going to school, and the fucking desire to sit back and watch some cartoons (and not fucking fraggle rock). Its also noisy, angry, and appeals to my inner youth in a sadistic way.
>>
>>65524759
Q&A is my favourite u lil shit :)
glad you liked it
>>
>>65524780
Just realized I listened to that Vaperror album a few days ago and never reviewed it. Whoops. Guess I'll get to that tomorrow. Here come some reviews.
>>
File: Masculin-FeÃÅminin.png (2 MB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Masculin-FeÃÅminin.png
2 MB, 900x900
>Various Artists - Luo Music Vol. 2
This comp of songs from a Kenyan accordion-playing tribe (yeah I don't buy it either) is nothing but impressively unmemorable music. I managed to somehow space out completely for two whole listens through the album, and I only got halfway through a third before I just gave up. I still couldn't really tell you anything about this album in great detail, so I'll resort to more generalities than usual.

The quality is just so awkwardly bad, like not even intentionally either? Where as a lot of "lo-fi" recordings will just be sloppy, this recording quality is just plain 'ol lame kind of bad. Somehow, none of the instruments stand out, which doesn't really matter because none of it is very interesting, but a certain incoherent blogspot post (the only place I've seen this album outside of the sharethread where I first downloaded it) assures me every track features an accordion.

All the songs are very short, so at least it's over with quickly enough. Most songs give off a bit of a faux-folksy vibe or maybe a highlife vibe sometimes? Not quite sure, but I didn’t enjoy it.

I actually listened to this yesterday, but just completely forgot to review it when I was mentally listing off what I listened to that day. It's just that forgettable.
>3/10

>Chantal Goya - Masculin-Féminin EP
Such a gorgeous voice with such pleasant backing instrumentation and quaint songwriting. The one off musique concrete bits took me by surprise, but I just assume that has something to do with the movie this EP soundtracks? Either way, Brian Wilson eat your heart out.

I’m kind of bumming I missed the listenalong for this, because it's actually quite good.
>7/10
>>
>>65524870
Sorry ur offended by my PlebNotes™
>>
File: Blues For the Red Sun.png (3 MB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
Blues For the Red Sun.png
3 MB, 1500x1500
>Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun
A fantastic noise rock/stoner metal/whatever album by Homme and company, seemingly based entirely around the gimmick of running a guitar sound through a suped-up bass amp for maximal fuzz and distortion, if now lacking a bit of bite. It certainly gives it a distinctive sound, despite the competition from noise rock et al in the field of distinctive fuzz.

As far as songwriting goes, especially for vocals, virtually all songs here either pull from a grunge, noise rock, or occasionally even hair metal backgrounds. Makes for a varied mess of songwriting styles, but the instrumentation holds it all together. Excellent production, by the way, but I it may have actually smoothed the album out a bit and unfortunately kept it from ever getting too wild. That could very well be the stoner aesthetic though.
>7/10

>Skip Skip Ben Ben - Sacrifice Mountain Hills
Mostly noise pop, but some shoegaze and noise rock influences sneak in there for a track or two. Most of it is somewhat bland or unmemorable, but two tracks in particular stood out readily by my second listen: Walkmen; for it's intense vocals and shredding noise pop guitar, and Dead Floor, which nearly reaches Yerself Is Steam levels of swirling psychedelic noise intensity. Both are obvious high points and excellent examples of what the band's general aesthetic is capable of producing. However the other tracks can't quite keep up.

I have a hunch that it might have been better condensed into an 4 track EP.
>6/10
>>
File: Umbarumbamba.png (626 KB, 705x705) Image search: [Google]
Umbarumbamba.png
626 KB, 705x705
>Aby Nganna Diop - Liital
Frantic call-and-response preaching and chanting coupled with frenetic drumming is the the apparent go-to recipe for every song on this short cassette, capturing the music of Aby Ngana Diop performed through the 80s and 90s in Dakar, Senegal. On top of the described formula, the first two tracks prominently flourish bizarre synth lines which make the songs sound uncannily like theme music for a Donkey Kong track in Mario Kart (Double Dash in particular comes to mind).

That probably registers something strong on somebody's racism-o-meter but w/e. Blame the furious tribal bongo drumming. The wacky playful synth just completes the picture.

Another curiosity is the title track, Liital, in which the vocal delivery, while still distinctly preacherly, almost--ALMOST sounds like rapping. The weird little synth loop repeating in the background almost--ALMOST even gives it the air of a Wu-Tang track. It's the weirdest thing.

If the album stretched on for much longer, I'd be worried about the album's fairly repetitive sound getting stale. But as it stands (at ~26 minutes), its the perfect length for its content.
>8/10

>Thor's Hammer - Umbarumbamba EP
Excellent garage rock from Iceland. The songs are comprised of ridiculously catchy pop melodies and slapped on buzzsaw guitars and crazed drumming. Each song sort of follows its own off variant of 32-bar format, but they all still obviously adhere to the same sort of formula. The last track, a somewhat softer ballad, is the only obvious outlier here. It makes for a nice calm closer though.

Really I can't fault them for anything else. It's honestly impressive what they can do under such constraints. The sound quality is excellently trashy too, and distorted to hell in all channels, and the mix is surprisingly solid.

>cont.
>>
>cont.

Overall, not quite as uniquely brilliant as their more famous pre-'67 garage rock contemporaries such as The Sonics or The Kinks, but their consistent song quality and hard rocking sound are commendable. Frankly I'm shocked these guys are so obscure, even among those who fervently worship this kind of shit.
>8/10

>Charanjit Singh - Synthesizing: Ten Ragas to a Disco Beat
They say it ain’t easy being cheesy, and yet.

My only complaint is that the songs are way too short. Like seriously, every song is nearly exactly six minutes here. In what world is either a raga performance or disco track ever six minutes?
>9/10

>Walt Dickerson - To My Queen
Simply stellar, simple post-bop. I’ve been on the lookout for more vibraphone jazz, and this album delivers. As I mentioned, it is usually pretty basic jazz, just lengthier. The musicians take turns improvising on their respective instruments and the others play on respectfully in the background, holding down the fort. Not to say it’s drab, just very straightforward, and very pleasant.

need more of that bowed bass playing on “God Bless the Child” though. That, combined with the vibraphone, was sublime.
>8/10

>Function & Inland - Odeon / Rhyl EP
Two 8-minute tracks of what sounds like new age techno? I guess this is what the kids these days call downtempo? Any way, it ain’t good. The first track is particularly boring, with lazy new age synth swells over a plodding techno beat. The second track is a marked improvement, with a more complex, involved beat and more textured synth washes.

It’s kind of funny how I absolutely loved the cheesy synths on Ten Ragas to a Disco Beat, but here some similar shit just falls so flat. Pretty lame overall.
>3/10
>>
File: ReadyForSpaghetti.gif (494 KB, 500x323) Image search: [Google]
ReadyForSpaghetti.gif
494 KB, 500x323
Spaghetti for dinner and I'm /hypedasfuck/

What are y'all eating today, /daily/?
>>
>>65524936
Nah they're actually great dude. You captured why I like the album so much; strong sense of interplay, freedom to experiment, and directional and conclusive.
It's definitely a more challenging piece for someone unfamiliar with the genre, so I'm glad you could see merit in it!
>>
i dont read co's reviews but im glad theres people on daily that do actual reviews
>>
>>65525059
chicken piccata with fusilli
>>
File: freeform.jpg (596 KB, 3118x1700) Image search: [Google]
freeform.jpg
596 KB, 3118x1700
And here's the freeform chart progress. I feel like I listened to too much today, but a lot of it was EP-length stuff.

>>65525059
I grilled some burgs

>>65525118
Read them you goof.
>>
>>65525059
home-made chicken curry over rice with a salad
>>
>>65525059
water
>>
>>65525059
Also pasta, except penne rigate, the One True Pasta Noodle.

>>65525228
I read 'em. Glad you liked To My Queen; really uniquely atmospheric and great jazz.
>>
>>65525389
Yeah atmosphere can really make or break an album like that, and I'm still pretty clueless as to the mechanisms behind it. If it was poorly managed, the album would have been way too long and therefore boring, but the whole thing feels very serene and lively, yet calm.

It's a really hard feeling to pin exactly, but I suppose that's the point. And pls tell me if you have any more good jazz with bowed bass (or whatever that instrument was called on the last track).
>>
>>65525389
>penne rigate
fettuccine master race
>>
>>65525563
Have you heard Coltrane's Ole?
Some really fucking terrific bowed bass in the title track.
Can't think of any more off the top of my head but I'll let you know if I think of some more.
>>
File: cover.jpg (115 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
115 KB, 612x612
listening to pic related
it's cute but not something i'd listen to very often, i think
but this is literally the first time listening to it so maybe i'm missing some intricacies or something

hey guys, on average how many times do you listen to an album before you can begin to understand it?
>>
>>65526091
it depends on the album - listening to a pop album usually doesn't yield much after a listen or two (with some notable exceptions), but other works, like JS Bach Cantatas can be rewarding after years of listening.
>>
>>65526091
definitely depends on the album, sometimes production can be very layered or have lots of one off sound effects that can make initial listens confusing and even off putting. These types of albums require focused listening for me (I'd venture to say the new Radiohead album is somewhat like this)
>>
File: Calendar_Jun2016_PNG.png (437 KB, 1456x1508) Image search: [Google]
Calendar_Jun2016_PNG.png
437 KB, 1456x1508
I need something for today, anyone got any of them recs? Anything good really.
>>
>>65518613
ikr fml
>>
File: jessyLanza.jpg (8 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
jessyLanza.jpg
8 KB, 150x150
>>65526431
The latest Jessy Lanza is nice, so is the new Marissa Nadler
>>
>>65526431
Joe Harriott - Hum Dono
John Martyn - Solid Air
Nico - The Marble Index
>>
>>65526431
Tri Repetae
>>
File: june2016.png (3 MB, 2628x1804) Image search: [Google]
june2016.png
3 MB, 2628x1804
>>65526339
you will disagree but I found the Cantatas to be too tedious to listen, and as I had not much time today I decided to not torture myself through something I shared a high disdain for. (I'm more of a post-classical kind of guy) I replaced the Bach Cantatas in my chart with///:

Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert:

No doubt a beautifully talented pianist, Keith Jarrett's live performances seem to capture more than a studio recording, for concerts such as these, can offer. His playing winds like a flowing river and in my opinion shines in Part II: B of this particular performance. I'm in no way a classically trained musician of any sort but the complexities seem glide by with a confident grace. I also like to hear his mini shouts as he encounters a climactic point in the piece- truly getting lost within his own craft. Extremely relaxing as well as mesmerizing talent.

Favorite song: Part II: B
>>
>>65526617
this is what happens when i dont proofread and it's too late
>>
>>65526617
Obviously your opinions on the Cantatas are grievously mistaken, but I like that Keith Jarret record too
>>
>>65526692
I respect them and their importance but beyond that I feel nothing
>>
>>65526091
>hey guys, on average how many times do you listen to an album before you can begin to understand it?
It depends. I usually listen to an album once, before listening again for reviewing, but nothing's set in stone. A rating usually forms in my head well before I finish my first listen though, which is unfortunate but difficult to avoid. I usually just call it a day there for 95% of the albums I listen to, but occasionally I'll hear something that just feels like it requires further listening.

Like that Ten Ragas to a Disco Beat album I only listened to once, but I listened to Blues for the Red Sun at least three times today, and for whatever reason I feel compelled to give Skip Skip Ben Ben another shot. I really don't feel the need to justify it any.

>>65525765
Sounds like a plan, chief.
>>
>>65524780
Unhappy meal is such a cathartic song
>>
>>65525036
all the best proto punk is pretty unrecognized (aside from the Monks)
>>
>>65526971
>Unhappy meal is such a cathartic song
rewd. You don't have to like it but refrain from violent language
>>
Good Morning /daily/!

Listening to Puce Mary.
>>
>>65527230
...cathartic?
>>
>>65527281
fun fact: I used to think cathartic was synonymous with terrible.
>>
>>65527392
>I used to think cathartic was synonymous with terrible.

used to as in 5 minutes ago?
>>
>>65527392
>ʕ `ᴥ`ʔ
#newbear
>>
>>65527472
...yes
>>
>>65526961
Also come to think of it, Paul Chambers plays a lot of arco bass solos, so he might be worth checking out.
I'm not familiar with his solo work but the Wynton Kelly Trio is a good place to start.

>>65527497
It's looking up at the sky!
What's in the sky, bear?
>>
>>65527619
It was looking away from the shame
>>
>>65527619
Would you rec any specific album by the Wynton Kelly Trio, or just any album Chambers is on?
>>
>>65527769
hmmmmm, I really can't remember what has bowed bass on it, but Smokin' at The Half Note (1965) or anything from 59-61ish is great.
>>
>>65527866
Alright. Sounds like a plan, chief.
>>
File: calendar.jpg (2 MB, 1666x1718) Image search: [Google]
calendar.jpg
2 MB, 1666x1718
Hello it's time for more late "reviews". Gonna keep these short because I don't feel like writing today.

Male Rape Group - On to 83

Eh, this was okay. I liked the yelling and the noise was pleasant sometimes but it felt rather boring. I wish it was more harsh. 3/5.

Manfred Schoof - Echoes of Europe

I think I'm really bad at """reviewing""" free jazz. All I can say for this is that it was interesting, had wild playing and cool interplay. Yeah I don't have much to say. Also, nice drums. 3.5/5.

>tfw it's one of those weeks when I don't really feel like listening to much music
>>
>>65528424
Those kinds of weeks are great to focus on other things in the meantime at least. I think music is such an integral part of our being that we'll just come back to it eventually.

What do you like to do when you're not on /mu/?
>>
>>65528494
Smash capitalism
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-08-23-52-40.png (271 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-08-23-52-40.png
271 KB, 480x800
>>65528534
Has comet finally gotten off the bus?
>>
>>65528494
See >>65528534

But really, there's various things I guess. Half of the time it's probably stuff involving my laptop.
>>
File: image.png (296 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
296 KB, 750x1334
>>65528567
Ayyy
<--- Oops wrong pic
>>
Tired but can't sleep is the worst :disappointed:
>>
>>65528649
Listen to twee
>>
File: tumblr_l0iwd2E6zD1qz8z2ro1_500.png (79 KB, 500x146) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l0iwd2E6zD1qz8z2ro1_500.png
79 KB, 500x146
>>65528494
Watch TV until I forget how to talk. Listen to podcasts. Friends. Work. Avoid sunlight. U?
>>
>>65528649
Listen to twee [2]
>>
>>65528716
Just about the same though I really enjoy the sun. I like being tan. I watched Whiplash today and I loved it. Made me want to give up music for a moment.
>>
>>65528748
Whiplash is great. What about it made you want to give up music?
>>
>>65528770
When I saw how great and well-educated everyone was made me realize what a huge leap there lies between jazz and rock.

Plus that little quote:
>If you lack ability, you'll end up in a rock band
What are your thoughts on this?
>>
>>65528895
>What are your thoughts on this?
really it's
if you lack ability, all you can be in is a rock band
plenty talented musicians in rock, but to be your average joe guitar sling it doesn't take much
although I hold the opinion that creativity outweighs skill by a large margin
talent and ability sure do make things a whole lot easier though
I regret not practicing piano enough :^(
>>
>>65528895
Man, rock is a completely different thing from jazz. Sure some rock musicians may not be very educated or amazing when it comes to music but that is not really a bad thing. Being technical isn't that important in my opinion.
>>
>>65528992
I'm in the same thought. It's great when you have both like in the case of Brian Wilson or Sufjan Stevens. It's just that during the movie I could only imagine most trained musicians probably find the idea of rock bands a joke. But then it ended and I got over that cynical thought.

Actually by the end of it, I was really happy to know artists like Coltrane respected the work of Ayler despite it's almost lack of training. Or maybe there's a lot of thought that goes into free jazz? Educate a bear here, triangle
>>
>>65529052
Yeah, to me creativity's reach is far greater than technical skill. I can't wait to learn theory one day, and possibly more guitar too.
>>
>>65529102
I also want to learn more about theory and guitar. Also, regarding your thing about trained musicians thinking rock is a joke, keep in mind that there are people that think jazz is a joke too. I was watching this film called The Commitments a few weeks ago. It's about this group of Irish people that start a soul band. When one of the players starts playing jazzier music the leader says to him that jazz is for wankers or something. As you can tell from that, a lot of people find jazz to be a wanky genre. I personally don't but I just want to say that there's an entire sea of opinions to not care about.
>>
File: image.jpg (488 KB, 1000x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
488 KB, 1000x1600
>>65529102
>>65529073
>>65529052
>>65528992
>>65528895
What the fuck do you jokers think this is, a place for music discussion?
>>
>>65529150
Kek, you're absolutely right. I guess it stemmed from me being constantly surrounded by untrained musicians and artists (whether in real life or musical consumption). So the real life arena of trained musicians came off as a surprise.
>>
File: 1460624274136.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1460624274136.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>65529165
hot damn, it's the meme police!
sorry officer, maybe these dubs will convince you to let us go
>>
File: image.png (91 KB, 209x211) Image search: [Google]
image.png
91 KB, 209x211
>>65529252
What dubs, where?
>>
File: 1464764029835.gif (550 KB, 728x720) Image search: [Google]
1464764029835.gif
550 KB, 728x720
>>65529259
whoops, wrong pocket. I meant to show you these
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 119

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.