[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Electronic BIG 4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 14
File: electronic.png (10 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
electronic.png
10 KB, 600x600
Rate in the order of which one you like to listen to most.

Mine:
>Aphex Twin>Autechre
>BOC
>Squarepusher

Just a little autistic insight about how I feel about them:

Richard & Autechre could switch places soon as I have listened to everything from Aphex Twin and I still have to find so much of Autechre and right now I am in that phase where everyday I listen to something new(for me) from Autechre and get blown away. Personally, there is no one better than o ther when it comes to these 4. it all depends on the mood or phase of life I am in. said that, Squarepusher is still the most hardest for me to get into compared to the other 3. Aphex will always be the most organic and most relatable to me. He was the one who got me into this kind of music and very much changed me as a person. Simply put, if I ever have to choose one track to listen to forever, it would be one of his tracks. Autechre is something that I have immense respect for because I am not able to comprehend what they do but they still sound amazing as fuck. It's almost like I still need to change as a person to be able to love them mre, and that's happened. BOC, oh god these guys can make me cry. Nostalgia, Nostalgia, Nostalgia of course. BOC is like my little innocent child that I feel the need to protect all the time and keep close to me to stay sane. Squarepusher is the most fun of them all. I can't say much about him because I still haven't actually gotten into him yet but yeah he is very very fun to listen to.
>>
Not in order of skill but who I enjoy the most disclaimer: I am nu

1. Squarepusher
2.Aphex
3.Autechre
4. Boards

Had the privilege to see 1 and 3 during the last tours. Both were 2 of the most amazing concert experiences I've had. Squarepusher is also a big influence on my electro tracks
>>
>>65503761
oh you luck man. haven't seen anyone live yet. Can you recommend me your favorite album by Squarepusher? I am gonna give more time listening to Squarepusher once I am done with Autechre. I need a start with this guy though.
>>
>>65503761
I think my liking of squarepusher stems from his jazz bass/organic background and how he melds it into some of his tracks. Also I have roots in Baltimore and his footwork tracks would blow ppl's minds down there. I haven't been able to get a good grasp on boards yet. MHTRTC was a little too laid back for me. I liked geo more but it wasn't the aha moment I was looking for
>>
>>65503657
Aphex Twin>Squarepusher>Autechre>BOC

Aphex: What more can possibly be said
Squarepusher: He combines instrumental virtuosity with technological erudition. And he had an incredible sense of melody.
Autechre: Definitely the most eclectic of the 4. They create soundscapes which seem to have a timeless quality about them.
BOC: I've always found them to be boring AF, but there are a few tracks I really enjoy.
>>
>>65503821
Go Plastic is my favorite so far. Really dubby/footworky throughout. Ultravisitor and Hard Normal Daddy are other greats. On a side note how do you feel about Venetian Snares or Oneohtrix Point Never?
>>
>the list goes on...
>>
>>65503920
literally the point....
>>
>>65503837
The man is a beast on bass. He could easily be the most 'musically' knowledgeable out of all of them. BOC is definitely the most hardest of them all to get a hold of. Honestly if I hadn't found BOC in that particular time of life when I did, I would consider them 'too laid' back for my taste too. This might sound silly but start listening to BOC when you are drunk or very tired/exhausted from work/life. Its easier to get into them that way.
>>
>>65503907
oh fuck I love Snares! I only found OPN after his recent Garden of Delete album. He is great as fuck. Some of the most detailed synth work. I have actually put a little sticky note on my desk to remind myself to not forget about this man.
>>
>>65503821
These 2 are my favorite Squarepusher tracks...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1R9_MBfq5RM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zAvjjHsbI7k
>>
>>65504014
fuck anon, listening to this now,, this is genius thank you so much. I really needed such kind of a 'oh fuck this is genius'' track to start feeling this guy.
>>
>>65504094
Here's another track I really enjoy. I love the way it builds

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a-l_SPxPFXg
>>
>>65504213
now playing thanks
>>
File: 1458908221404.gif (139 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1458908221404.gif
139 KB, 126x126
>>65504213
>>
The fact that so many /mu/tants still use the term ''electronic music'' only tells you how far /mu/ still is from becoming a serious music board. Europeans have long recognized that their is no similarity between all the genres lumped together except for the plug attached to some of the instruments yet /mu/ still persists. Good music boards rank the highly different genres and their subgenres yet /mu/ still calls them all elelctronic. /mu/ is still blinded by rockism: it all ''sounds the same'' and the instruments have plugs (not true, by the way), therefore it must all be the same genre. Europeans grow up listening to a lot of ''electronically produced'' music of the past, other boards grow up listening to a lot of ''electronically produced'' music of the past. /mu/tants are often totally ignorant of the ''electronically produced'' music of the past or anything past rock, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that ''electronic'' is a genre.
>>
fuck i love idm threads.
>>
>>65504599
nice meme hahah i enjoyed it :)
>>
Autechre > Aphex > BoC > Squarepusher

Squarepusher fell off really hard after Ultravisitor.
>>
What's the best AE_LIVE?
>>
>>65504742
Krakow / Utrecht
>>
I like all four of those but this is fucking outdated. I see this a lot and it frustrates me. A lot has happened since 1998. How can you really say these are the 'big 4' anymore?
>>
>>65504599
You sound like an adolescent who's in the process of trying to find an identity when you classify things into special sub-genres.

When someone classifies an artist as simply "electronic" and you correct them with something like "they're ackshually post-modern-neo-electro-acoustic-flippity-flappity", you sound like a callow piss-pants that really doesn't know shit about music.

Did I take b8?
>>
>>65504756
Well they're all still active. And in my opinion Autechre are currently putting out the best material of their careers.
>>
Boards>>>>>>>>Autechre>Aphex>Square

factually true btw
>>
>>65504842
Your opinion literally could not be any more objectively false
>>
>>65504870
>objectively false

thats ur opinion, my post was facts.
>>
Why's everyone ranking BoC so low? They're objectively the best.
>>
Orbital>all of them
The Orb>all of them
Gas>all of them
Monolake>all of them
Biosphere>all of them
>>
Autechre > Aphex >(very slightly lower) BOC > Squarepusher
>>
I never got Richards appeal. Like it's not bad, I just don't see how its rated so highly
>>
>>65504834
true, Exai is currently my favorite album
>>
>>65504926
BoC>Orb>Orbital>Autechre>Gas>Aphex>Square

idk the rest
>>
>>65504887
There are numerous empirical studies that prove your factual opinion to be unequivocally incorrect. If you'd like me to cite sources, I'd be more than happy to.
>>
>>65504756
Yeah, I mostly agree with this but I also agree with >>65504834 when he says that Autechre are still relevant (and putting out great material). And that's probably because their stuff tends to skew more towards the PAN/Mego/Tri Angle side of things which still seems relatively "fresh."
>>
>>65504917
because BOC is the most emotional one of them all. Their music is the hardest one to keep listening to. I enjoy BOC only in certain times and when I do, they are the best. Other times, the other 3 are most listenable. People who mentioned them lower, do no NOT like them, they just listen to them less compared to others which is understandable
>>
>>65504926
Autechre > Monolake = Gas > Aphex = Orbital > Biosphere > BoC > Orb > Squarepusher
>>
OP here. This discussion was not about who is BETTER or more SKILLED than others. It is just about what you listen to most or personally like more. All these guys are skilled enough and will forever have their own importance in the history of electronic music. So stop being but hurt.
>>
>>65504599
if /mu/ sucks it is because people like you are here
>>
Here's a fucking question, why do all these ambient, idm artist have all these highly rated albums from the 1990s and early 2000s but NOTHING good after 2004 or so

why?
also

carbon based lifeforms>all of them
>>
>>65504926
All better than Squarepusher at least. Better than Aphex? Eh
>>
>>65505026
(not true, by the way)
>>
>>65504634
>>65504772
>>65505020
Literally kill yourselves.

You are all the cancer, normies, retarded plebs you attempt to mock, this is cringe af
>>
>>65504926
lol
>>
>>65505026
because the entire scene generally died out after 2000s. These guys still put out some genius material but it I not picked up by magzines and music industry as much it used to. Remember, the popularity and ranking of an artists has nothing to do with their creatively abilities. I love CBF btw.
>>
>>65505043
Are you referring to my first point? I'm not saying some have no good albums after 2004, I'm just saying the general consensus is that
>>
My take on dance was rockist, because, barely acquainted with how the music functioned in its "proper" context, I tended to fixate on singular artists. This is how rock critics still tend to engage with dance music: they look for the auteur-geniuses who seem most promising in terms of long-term album-based careers. But dance scenes simply don't work like this: the 12-inch single is what counts, there's little brand loyalty to artists, and DJs are more of a focal point for fans than the faceless, anonymous producers. In the three years before I engaged with rave culture on its own terrain and terms, I accordingly celebrated groups like 808 State, The Orb, The Shamen, Ultramarine, on the grounds that they were making music that made sense at home and at album length. Today I cringe to remember that, reviewing the second Bomb The Bass LP, I proposed the term "progressive dance" to describe this new breed of album-orientated artist. Cringe, because this divide between so-called "progressive" electronica and mere "rave fodder" has since become for me the very definition of "getting it completely wrong".

Whenever I hear the word "hardcore" (or synonyms like "dark", "ruffneck", "cheesy") used to malign a scene or sound, my ears prick up. Conversely, terms like "progressive" or "intelligent" trigger the alarm bells: when an underground scene starts talking this talk, it's usually a sign that it's gearing up to play the media game as a prequel to buying into the trad music industry structure of auteur-stars, concept albums and long-term careers. Above all, it's a sign of impending musical debility, creeping self-importance and the haemorrhaging away of fun.
>>
>>65503657
All 4 are boring and awful.
I don't know why you people shit yourselves over this "EDM" garbage.
>>
>>65505076
you think too much about the stuff that doesn't matter
>>
>>65505107
t. embryo
>>
I-is Steve Roach good
>>
>>65505076
Gonna start the next /bleep/ with an edit of that post.
It's very good.

>>65505107
fuck off
>>
The new BIG 4: >>65489916

Get on with the times, uncle
>>
>>65505076
Fuck off.
Reynolds is a worthless hack and the 'nuum isn't real.
>>
>>65505127
why does it matter what you call it or whatever. just listen to the damn tracks and get done with it. Why do people care so much about titles?
>>
>>65505076
You're a moron who hates to see the "electronic" music evolving way beyond the limits of dumb drivel people can dance to. Everything you stand for is horse crap, please leave.
>>
>>65505149
we don't have to. I like those guys to but I don't have to get on with times
>>
>>65505064
Well, to be fair most did become derivative, redundant or just plain bad. The good were few and far between, so it's fair the the perception became negative. There's ben good albums, but most aren't super "IDM-y"

>>65505076
>>65505119
Quoting someone else in place of you're own opinion is the definition of "t. embryo." Simon Reynolds is a smart guy but he was mostly commenting on the whole ridiculous culture of this "intelligent" music being seen as more valuable than the club music it borrowed from - he hardly ever commented on the music itself though. He was so concerned with the context that he couldn't look at it from an angle of the artist's making this sort of music - their was always a bit of projection in his writing. Still love the guy. Also he's recently admitted on his blog that he's not as "upset" with the movement as he used to be.
>>
>>65504599
this is an objectively correct analysis
the fact that three ignoramuses actually thought it was "bait" or "cring" is even further evidence of /mu/'s incapacity of dialoguing about music in sensible terms
>>
>>65505076
>above all, it's a sign of impending musical debility, creeping self-importance and the haemorrhaging away of fun.
I feel like you're unaware of the fact that it's nerds like this dude >>65504772 who are responsible for coining those ridiculous terms.

Yes, IDM is a retarded designation for a genre, but it's not like Autechre are sitting around thinking "gee, are we really staying true to our IDM roots?"
>>
>>65505186
omg
been*
you*
there*
i'm very sleepy and should get some sleep lol
>>
>>65505157
No.
The music exists for the dance.
Everything about the music is geared towards facilitating the dance.
There is plenty less club friendly material out there as well, still released in the same format.
Not everything has to be like Rock music, does it?

Not everything has to be beaten into the ground using aimless autofellating talk about "essentials" and "the best".
>>
>>65505064
>>65505201
*nerds like THIS dude >>65504599
>>
What do you guys think about this album?

Younger Brother - The Last days of Gravity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkMt4GudJzg
>>
>>65505218
It's boring shit for vibesters
>>
>>65505227
I am hurt but ok :/
>>
>>65505214
You heard me. As every other cunt trying to impose limits - any limits on any genre - you and your opinions go straight into the nearest garbage bin.
>>
>>65505247
>I am hurt
good
>>
>>65505249
Nobody is trying to impose anything artificial on the music.
Limits exist.
>>
What do you guys think of Shpongle
>>
>>65505214
There's nothing wrong with the album format for music that's not meant for the club. Obviously with dance music singles/eps are more feasible and convenient - the medium of choice for clubs - but at home idg the problem?
>>
>>65505215
Even if by '''''''electronic music'''''''''''' you meant 1990s dance music and derivatives only and also assuming you ignorantly and stupidly disclude hip hop from this, the smorgasbord of music styles from the last 25 years that falls within this fucking HUGE umbrella is massive, techno for example is as big on its own as hip hop, or metal, yet you lump it together with house, breaks, trance, UKGarage and downtempo like its just a small genre or something.

This board is worse than youtube,
>>
>>65505076
>reynolds
gtfo out of here you sheep
>>
File: cover.jpg (536 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
536 KB, 1000x1000
>>65505284
dumb /bleep/tards think electronic != dance
>>
>>65505284
>but at home idg the problem?
It breeds idiocy.

>>65505291
>techno for example is as big on its own as hip hop, or metal
It isn't.
You mean House.
>>
>>65505311
It is, so is house.

30+ years and as many subgenres covering numerous styles.
>>
>>65505311
How so? These days it's almost pointless to hoard a bunch of singles - if you're gonna listen to dance music at home then mixes are the way to go. Obviously the guys in OP aren't exactly DJ fodder that's gonna get played in clubs (or really put into many mixes) so they aren't as concerned with being constrained to the single format. And why should they? Just for traditions sake?
>>
>>65505291
If I mention an artist such as Florian Hecker and someone ASKS about him, I'd say he creates "sound-art". If I mention an artist like Kevin Drumm, I'd probably say "Noise/Drone"; however, if someone simply chose to refer to them as electronic artists, I'm not going to throw a hissy fit and correct them -- and I find that people who are overly precious about these designations don't know their ass from their elbow.
>>
1. Aphex Twin
2. Boards of Canada
3. Autechre
4. Squarepusher
>>
>>65505386
This is a music discussion board which has generals for sub, sub, sub, subgenres of rock but ALL electronic music goes in one thread? Its a joke.

I can understand with classical and jazz because despite those being huge too, they aren't that popular with 15-21 year olds but ''''''electronic music''''''' is the music of today.
>>
>>65505455
Not that anon you're responding to, and I generally agree with ur point, but I think in the case of OP they were just trying to find an umbrella term that the "Big 4" could all fit under (without resulting to ""IDM"") since they all make different genres of music (Ae= techno, hip-hop, glitch; BoC = ambient techno, downtempo; Aphex = acid techno, jungle; SP = futurejazz, drill n bass)

Would be a bit of a mouth-full.
>>
>>65505455
I'll agree with you that people on this board don't seem to be quite as interested in electronic music, and as a result, refer to many of the artists in very general terms; however, many of the electronic artists who are constantly discussed here, have managed to transcend their respective genres, due to the fact that their music has more of a universal appeal.

If you want to jerk off over sub-genres of electronic music, there are no shortage of forums to do so... but be warned, they tend to be extremely pretentious and cringey (so you might love them)
>>
>>65505523
I have no issue with IDM, all genres are just labels given by journalists, whether you (or the artists) like it is just tough shit BUT, this is 4chan so it comes with retarded *tips fedora* memes plus ignorance in general means too many people seriously think if its not EDM, its IDM.

It just amazes me in 2016 with '''electronic music''' today what rock was in the 1960s, there are still only 2 types of thread on this busy, ''patrician'' music board.

>>65505550
If you wanted to talk about post-punk, you wouldn't post in /metal/ and if you wanted to talk about indie-folk you wouldn't post in /emoe/ and there sure as fuck are never any /rock/ generals.
>>
>>65504926
hi synosoid
>>
>>65505577
That's why I do have an issue with the term IDM - I mean I've always felt it was dumb (especially since most IDM artists fit neatly into previously established genres) but I've become resigned to the fact that it's become an accepted signifier with it's own associations and contexts so w/e who cares. But if you put "IDM" into the header of a thread then conversation will be completely derailed, so it's like, you have to choose your fights.

But yeah, I do think that this board has an issue with learning the correct terminology with dance and "electronic" genres. I've heard ppl here say that "it all sounds the same" but imo if you can't tell the difference between industrial techno and ragga jungle then u prob shouldn't be on a music board, lol.
>>
>>65504926
zzzzzzz
>>
>>65505689
yeah, fucked either way really
>>
File: vladislav-delay[1].jpg (754 KB, 2362x1790) Image search: [Google]
vladislav-delay[1].jpg
754 KB, 2362x1790
Delay > all the people cited in this thread
>>
>>65504599
reddit has over 15 subreddits exclusively dedicated to specific subgenres of electronic music
>>
Boc > aphex
then i havent actually listened to the other two
>>
>>65505951
i really like him but only in short doses
what to check out after entain?
>>
>>65504624
Obligatory "IDM is a stupid term thought up by a journalist" post
>>
>>65505993
false
they have over 50
https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/wiki/musicsubreddits
>>
>>65505951
nah
>>
i hate these threads. i hate that you're always expected to group all of them together based off of the label they're on and some other totally arbitrary qualifications. i like 1 out of those 4 - i don't want to have to be stuck in a thread where it's assumed that i'm supposed to like or have knowledge of all of them.
>>
>>65506021
anima, demon tracks, vantaa and kuopio
the two first luomo records
his live record as uusitalo is extremely underrated, I recommend it + tulenkantaja
>>
>>65506096
then don't be stuck anon, fuck off already :)
>>
>>65505993
>>65506044
Your point?

This is /mu/ where we have a emo, metal, shoegaze, punk generals yet ''''electronic music'''' which is equally as varied as rock (using only post-disco and dub genres) has just /bleep/ and /electronic/.

You don't see a problem with that in 2016?
>>
>>65505951
basic channel a better than delay
>>
do you think that the "big 4" deserve their acclaim? do you think some do, some don't? if you don't think they "deserve" it - why not?
>>
>>65503657
The big 4 of all ''electronic music'' in reality would be

Deadmau5
Skrillex
Fatboy Slim
Calvin Harris
>>
File: ABSOLUTE MADMAN.jpg (21 KB, 184x300) Image search: [Google]
ABSOLUTE MADMAN.jpg
21 KB, 184x300
>>65505951
>bLurPBloPbluurrrrrrrrrrrpblopkahhhhhhbluRRrRrRbloUghpLlblbuUrurpHhHhHBlurrrblop.

*17 minutes goes by*

>recording of a brick falling onto concrete used as a snare

>THWACK

>blurrBlopppllLLbluahghgBLURblop. blop. bUghhrhrh. blop

>THWACK

>KITCHZ

>SHHHHPT

>bluEuhrblbop.

*10 minutes goes by*

>deep bass drones stumble drunkenly into the tune

>mmHhMM. MMM. MMMmmmm~. m. MMM. MWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAP. MmM

>washing machine breaks down in the background

>MmwWMMWOP.

>808 hihat

>THWACK
>>
>>65506302
Fuck, I laughed harder than I should ahve.

this also sums up my feelings on most autechre (most)
>>
>>65506302
you sound legitimately triggered
>>
>>65506225
I think they do. they are called big four more because they popularized that type of music. Honestly most people found such type of music through these guys because most people started making such music inspired by these guys. I wouldn't know 50 artists if I hadn't found Aphex Twin. Since then I have found more intense and even more likeable music but Richard will forever hold a special place in my heart. Because for all the nostalgia. He is a hell of a musician too. People say he is over rated. I seriously don't think so. Tracks like: Xtal, Heliosphan, Actium, Tha, Ageispolis, Rhubarb, Lichen, Stone in focus, Parallel Stripes, avril 14th, come to daddy, flim, alberto balsm, on, vordhoshbn, mt saint Michael, girl boy song, fingerbib, aisatsana, milk man, didgeridoo, 4, jynweythek, meltphace 6, hy scullas, ziggomatic 17, nannou, nanou 2, analogue bubblebath, every day, and fuck I could go on and on, these are some of the best musical pieces I have erv come across. this is from someone who has listened to a lot of similar artists. But Richard can touch you in a Human way.
>>
>>65506239
this guy gets it
>>
>>65506329
I sorta want Sasu and Autechre to collab. The fifth disc of their recent album is v Delay-esque

>>65506302
This is literally why he's so great!
>>
>>65506198
Hmm, are they? I don't know, to be honest. They perfected dub/minimal techno, but Sasu seems to be way more versatile.
>>
>>65505951
Lol no
Maurice is way better
>>
>>65506187
/bleep/ is not part of /mu/ and is technically not about electronic music.
>>
>>65506523
who?
>>
>>65506535
looooooooooool

keep telling yourself that for your superiority complex
>>
>>65506457
it all depends on where you place importance as an artist: is versatility more important than focusing on one area and "perfecting it"?

but i'd say they're versatile in their own right. you have the dub and minimal techno, but theres also the more strictly dub work that they did as rhythm and sound with all the african artists. then you have the much harder techno that was way different then their later work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4tte9-In0g
>>
>>65503657
1. BoC
2. Ae
3. AFX
4. Squarepusher (he's not in the big 4, though)
>>
>>65506535
/bleep/ are a cancer to /mu/ and one of the main reasons its impossible to talk about any electronic music on the board because their ignorance and closed-minded attitude that all electronic music is Euro EDM and should only be listened to in singles/EPs makes them look retarded and brings down the whole board.
>>
afx = boc > sp >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> autechre
>>
>>65506771
/bleep/ is not part of /mu/.
Most people who visit /bleep/ visit /bleep/ exclusively. They only spill out when someone links an especially shitty thread into /bleep/.

>all electronic music is Euro EDM
Nobody says and and please don't call it that.
>>
>>65506751
was just about to post this. who would replace Squarepusher though?
>>65506771
>Euro EDM this reads as either being highly retarded or bait but your overall point isn't incorrect
>>65506784
wew
>>
>>65506818
Skrillex
>>
>>65506818
shit, I didn't mean to put all of that in the meme arrow
everything after "EDM" is supposed to be on the next line
>>
>>65506771
but while they might discount albums (and most of this seems to be for the sole purpose of triggering /mu/), /mu/ tends to ignore singles/eps/mixes - so they're on equal footing in terms of downplaying certain mediums.

also /bleep/ is good about not having an essentials chart, which while based in good intentions, has definitely been one of the pitfalls of this board as ppl rarely explore beyond them and cultivate their own personal taste.
>>
>>65506784
I agree with your distaste of Autechre. Pseudo-intellectual, derivative, and lazy horseshit. Probably the least creative of the lot too
>oh we can't write a proper melody so we'll just string about a bunch random sounds and our pretentious fans will just eat it up hahahaha
>>
>>65506835
nice
>>65506911
>random
dank
>>
>>65506911
>not getting it this hard

sad desu

Everyone knows

Autechre >>>>
>>
>>65506911
its just hip-hop innit
>>
>>65506818
>who would replace Squarepusher though?
µ-Ziq
>>
>>65506813
>Most people who visit /bleep/ visit /bleep/ exclusively.

So they're all just narrow-minded plebs, embarrassing.
>>
>>65507003
No, they just don't want to deal with your kind.
>>
>>65506999
I was thinking that, but I don't think he's well known (or quite honestly good enough) to fit with the other three
he's still pretty great though
>>65507008
what an incredibly autistic post
>>
>>65507003
or they don't like to discuss the same old /mu/-core over and over? i mean /mu/'s taste isn't super varied.
>>
>>65504944
listen to the come to daddy ep

absolutely brilliant.. a lot of idm is interesting for the music itself only; what i mean is, a track sounds good, it has interesting ideas, it creates fantastic textures and rhythms... but it doesnt really represent or describe anything outside of the music, there's rarely a concept or narrative. to descibe what i mean contrast this with something like folk which is all about the concept and narrative, the music is just an accompaniment.

the come to daddy ep is one of the very few conceptual idm works; i dont mean that it's some opera or concept album, but the music describes something other than just music: it's about the juxtaposition between the intense, jarring, abrasive (the first track), and the delicate, beautiful, gentle (the second), and the disgusting, sexual, taboo (the third).
then you come to bucephalus bouncing ball. do you know what bucephalus is? the name of the untameable horse that alexander the great tamed as a child. This track is about richard taming his own horse, producing a bouncing ball and making it musical. One can imagine a 14-year old Richard (and he made some of the music on saw1 at that age) fiddling with his sequencers and drum machines trying to get a bouncing ball percussion beat.. and on this track he succeeded. Then you have the come to daddy mummy mix.. "you've got so many machines richard..." his mum says. "ooh i like those fast bits, would you like anything for tea?" richard is living in his parents house, one of the most exciting artists of his generation, and it's just dismissed by his parents as a passing hobby or adolescent fad..

my point is these ideas are expressed through the music. that's what makes much of rdj's work so exceptional, compared to other more technical artists like sp and ae.
>>
>>65506999
As much as I like Mike P's music, µ-Ziq is a fucking stupid name
>>
>>65507080
oh wow, I haven't seen this pasta before
saved
>>
File: laughingbanes.png (875 KB, 968x745) Image search: [Google]
laughingbanes.png
875 KB, 968x745
>>65503657
>Electronic BIG 4

>Aphex Twin>Autechre
>BOC
>Squarepusher
Oh dog, what a fucking moron you are. Electronic music has nothing to do with those pathetic weirdos producing garbage.
You should've named the thread "IDM" big 4, as IDM is a fucking shame of all music and most of all electronic one.
Just think about this stupid tag "Intelligent dancing music". So, one dances to this intelligently? I fucking doubt anyone is capable to dance to this at all. And I even more doubt there is anything intelligent about it, other than intelligent inferiority to be able to produce something, that can actually be called "music". Sounds more like a fucking bait lol "no, it's not shit, it's just I_N_T_E_L_L_I_G_E_N_T, for "patricians", you know! Now shut the fuck up and give me your money"

Play with sounds, make some messy shit and TaDa! You are an IDM producer. For god's sake, can't believe there are actually people that feeding this trash to their ears, some weird fetishes this world is known for.
>>
>>65506187
make some generals then my man. id love to learn about interesting genres of electronic music; currently i am only familiar with the """idm""" essentials, aphex boc ae >the list goes on, and id like to find some music that is not just meant to be listened to in a club setting. (because why would i listen to that at home, ill go to a club if i want to dance).

can someone give me a rundown of what kinds of exciting genres exist within electronic music? or, even better, point me to a website where i can explore and read up on genres.

furthermore, im confused about the position of albums in electronic music. There is so much conflicting information I dont even know exactly what question i want to ask.

Pls to help.
>>
>>65507080
go smoke some dmt you fucking waste
no one cares about youre irrelevant psytrance nonsense
>>
>>65507090
redirected at >>65507095
>>
>>65507098
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
>>
>>65507122
seconding this
it's outdated, biased in the comments, and ultimately pretty shit, but at the same time nothing else really compares for what it does
all the other attempts I've seen popped up during the early-2010s "EDM" craze and include a thousand and one shitty generic soundcloud genres
>>
File: 1455454888523.jpg (180 KB, 1500x1126) Image search: [Google]
1455454888523.jpg
180 KB, 1500x1126
ae shit all over boc lmao r u kidding me?
i mean boc are good but ae are another level completely.
look at seans face... u can tell he takes his artistry EXTREMELY seriously... no compromise at all with that man, he will go to any lengths to see his dreams realised. he stays focused in the face of adversity and refuses to pander to anyone. look at his face. boc are missing that. they gave up after TCH. they said what they had to say. ae haven't run out of things to say. they keep on marching forward. i'll ask u again to look at sean's face. he wants to become a god in electronic music. he wants to become a legend. someone people will be talking about hundreds of years from now. he has dedicated his life to making sure his art will stand the test of time, long after he leaves this earth. you have to admit that he's done a good job of that so far. i think it's a safe assumption that sean will be talked about for generations. boc doesn't really have that lasting appeal or legendary status in-the-making. sean is taking electronic music to a level most people can not comprehend. everyone else in the field still has their training wheels on. sean shook his off over 2 decades ago - think about that. look at sean's face and try to tell me he still has his training wheels on. you can't do it. no boundaries for sean. in fact we might as well stop referring to seans' art as "music" altogether because "music" is just so limiting. sean is creating something else. you know it when you hear it. you're not listening to music when you listen to ae. you're listening to sean's unbridled determination to make planet earth a more culturally and intellectually enlightened place than when he first set foot here.
>>
>>65507008
>>65507020
>swaps p4kcore for Hardwax core
>thinks he is any better than /mu/

Yeah lad, Ron Morelli, Oneman, DJ Dark Cloak, the list goes on....
>>
File: electronic.png (518 KB, 1600x738) Image search: [Google]
electronic.png
518 KB, 1600x738
>>65507098
>make some generals then my man. id love to learn about interesting genres of electronic music; currently i am only familiar with the """idm""" essentials, aphex boc ae >the list goes on, and id like to find some music that is not just meant to be listened to in a club setting. (because why would i listen to that at home, ill go to a club if i want to dance).
see >>65505700

>can someone give me a rundown of what kinds of exciting genres exist within electronic music? or, even better, point me to a website where i can explore and read up on genres.
pic related

>furthermore, im confused about the position of albums in electronic music. There is so much conflicting information I dont even know exactly what question i want to ask.
If its intention is to be danced to and played within mixes in a nightclub setting, its dance music and mixes are best, EPs/singles if certain tunes interest you.

If its not, listen to albums or EPs/Singles. A lot of non-dance music artists still don't make albums. You also could try the LateNightTales series for mixes.
>>
>>65507142
LIES is an awful label.
Oneman is not a producer and he is a literal meme, a poor tormented soul that needs to be saved.
DJ Dark Cloak is a meme.
>>
>>65507184
>LIES is an awful label.

lol, you're all as bad as /mu/, /bleep/ used to cream itself over LIES and now its hated on.
>>
Autechre are my favourites. Aphex Twin is below them. He's just ok imo, don't really get the hype.
I've heard only MHTRTC by BoC and hated it.
Didn't listen to any Squarepusher yet.

>>65507098
Not him, but I recommend 70ies electronica, there's some incredible stuff. Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Vangelis and, of course, Kraftwerk.
>>
>>65507184
yeah, i think that anon maybe visited /bleep/ like, once, cause the majority of ppl in there are sick of ron memerelli/lies and i have never seen love for oneman lol
>>
>>65507203
/bleep/ is not one person.
Lies has a couple decent releases, but everyone, even the people who love the label, needs to admit that dishwasher house/techno was just a shitty trend.

>>65507212
oneman intervention when?
>>
>>65503657
that's really just the Warp big 4
switch out boards of KANEDA with vsnares and you've got it right
>>
>>65507203
>/bleep/ used to cream itself over LIES and now its hated on.
because it used to be a pretty good label and now its not - these things fluctuate, especially in dance. 2015 was a particularly dry and shitty year for lies. 2016 is looking a little better, but it's not nearly at the same standard.
>>
>>65507212
I don't keep up, it died with Cornettogate, the general is just fucking awful now.
>>
>>65507240
i do agree that that whole incident really has negatively affected the quality of the general. it's a shame.
>>
>>65507240
>>65507260
at least people aren't spamming pictures of tenny anymore.
>>
>>65507265
small mercies
>>
>>65507204
>I've heard only MHTRTC by BoC and hated it.
you soulless bastard
>>
>>65507222
Boards are way bigger than VSnares ya dingus
>>
>>65507324
this

anything breakcore is terrible. i mean sometimes aphex can have wanky drums but never to that degree...
>>
>>65506239
>no Avicii
>>
>>65507333
nah, not everything breakcore, but there is a lot of shit breakcore
Snares and Squarepusher are at the top of the genre, Bogdan Raczynski probably is as well. there's not much else to care about in it though.
>>
>>65507455
Squarepusher is drill n bass, not Breakcore. It's a small difference but a difference nonetheless. Just not a bit fan fan of it. It's like jungle but with none of the sub bass or grittiness or fun.
>>
>>65507514
>Squarepusher is drill n bass
First of all, that's a ridiculous fucking classification. Also, Squarepusher is a fairly prolific artist with a pretty diverse oeuvre.
>>
oh look it's another thread where people argue about genres

inb4 idm is not a genre
>>
>>65507122
thank you, this is a cool site

>>65507167
thanks for the answer and pic. gl with ur general as well

>>65507204
oh yeah i enjoy the 70s stuff. gottschings inventions for electric guitar is awesome. and phaedra
>>
Aphex > Squarepusher = BoC > Autechre

Depending on my mood, I could go either way with Squarepusher and BoC. I honestly don't get why people care about Autechre. Not bad, but just . . . meh.

>>65506239
>Fatboy Slim
Huh. I actually completely forgot about him.
>>
>>65507514
if you're going to make a distinction between drill n bass and breakcore it should be that drill n bass is the early heavily jungle/drum and bass influenced stuff like Plug and Hard Normal Daddy whereas breakcore is stuff like VSnares and Go Plastic
it would get pretty odd though, for example I'd say Raczynski is a breakcore deconstruction of drum and bass rather than just being drill and bass
>>65507766
it's probably closer to a movement or a scene desu
you could call it "90s british post-dance experimentalism" but that manages to be even more wanky than "IDM"
maybe just call it "the Warp sound/scene"
>>65507805
what ae have you listened to?
>>
>>65507846
Stop being so pretentious.
I bet you don't know the differences betweeb dnb and jungle and I bet you can' t name 5 anthems each.
>>
>>65507861
if you're going to be autistically technical about things then I don't see how you'd avoid being "pretentious." at some point you kinda have to stop caring.
also that would depend on how you define dnb. I probably couldn't name too many jungle anthems but there was a while where I was autistically into late 90s dnb so I could probably name a lot of good stuff from then.
>>
>>65507766
Maybe that should help show using the label ''electronic music'' is as dumb as ''string music'' for everything from rock to harps, violins to sitar based music.
>>
>>65506239
>no Prodigy

come on son
>>
what about this guy? he has a lot of hands
>>
>>65507846
>what ae have you listened to?
Admittedly, I haven't listened to their whole discography. I've listened to parts of Amber, and I've listened to their last 4 albums all the way through when they came out, but they just never struck my in any way. Definitely not bad, but not any kind of next level shit.
>>
>>65507904
Yeah, he also has really terrible album covers
>>
>>65507904
probably the best artist that started off I'm the new millennium as far as "IDM"-type stuff goes
>>65507907
Amber I wouldn't think you'd have a problem with, but for most people starting with their newer stuff is a horrible idea
try going chronologically from Incunabula (maybe also Lego Feet) through Confield and if you still don't like them you probably just don't like them
>>65507915
I actually like a lot of his album art, though maybe Iradelphic and Turning Dragon could use more work in that department I think. the covers for Iradelphic's EPs were way better.
Totems Flare could maybe do better as well.
>>
>>65507937
>I'm the new millennium
*in
that along with the generally atrocious writing reminds me that I'm too tired and I need to go to bed
>>
>>65506239
nah it would be something like Daft Punk, Tiesto, The Prodigy and Kraftwerk
>>
File: afx25.jpg (532 KB, 1280x1017) Image search: [Google]
afx25.jpg
532 KB, 1280x1017
Aphex > Autechre > Squarepusher = BOC

>>65507031
Very very good post anon, you summarized why I like his music so much. A lot of it has a story behind it, the bits in ICBYD and RDJ where he just has a real life recording of a section of the song, the countless track names referencing gear or techniques, the incredibly personal piano pieces or equally as personal drill'n'bass. While listening to Ziggomatic I can imagine him working for months constructing this beautiful harmony, putting down every idea in his head onto a sequencer in a perfect and flawless manner, taking every technique and skill he has learned and channeling it into a bit of music representing perfection. So much of his music gives an emotional and tangible look at the creator, more so than any other I have heard. His mindset, his purpose and his pathos are all in his music.
>>
>>65508001
>Tiesto
>not Paul Van Dyk

>The Prodigy
>not Chemical Brothers
>>
>>65508045
>Paul Van Dyk
loooooooooool
>>
>>65508065
Why is that "lol"? I'm not saying that I'm a fan, but his influence on EDM (if that's where you were going with this) is more important than Tiesto
>>
>>65508097
More people would have heard of Tiesto.

Guess it depends on how we're defining ''big 4''.
>>
>>65508122
>4
Yeah, you'd need to list a lot more than 4 to scratch the surface...

No one has mentioned Goldie, Richie Hawtin, Juan Atkins, Source Direct, Gary Newman, Masters At Work, Jeff Mills etc etc etc
>>
>>65508212
>Richie Hawtin, Juan Atkins, Source Direct, Masters At Work, Jeff Mills

Most normal people, even American ''ravers'' wouldn't know them either. Not like Skrillex or Joel.
>>
>>65508212
I agree Source Direct are great but they probably wouldn't make the shortlist of genre representatives as the ones for Jungle/DnB artists
if anybody past Goldie and Roni Size & Reprazent made it it would probably be Photek, who they are very similar to
also as a pardner I can definitely confirm what >>65508229 said is correct. here everything is "techno," "electronica," "EDM," or "dubstep."
>>
>>65508250
>>65508229
>>65508212
>>65508122
>>65508097

>Discussing literal whos

This thread is for Sean's big dick, sorry.
>>
>>65508256
hey I can type and succ his massive schlong at the same time fampai
>>
>>65508256
OP said electronic.
>>
thread is watmm as fuk
>>
>>65508229
Yeah, that's a shame

>>65508250
>Photek
I pretty much consider Photek and Source Direct as a package deal; however, I hear notable artists list Source Direct as an influence more often.
>>
>>65508229
if you're going by fame then beyonce or kanye are biggest electronic artists
>>
File: afx19.jpg (186 KB, 800x1026) Image search: [Google]
afx19.jpg
186 KB, 800x1026
Who else HYPED for Cheetah???
>>
>>65508294
ur watmm as fuk
>>65508295
I can't say I've ever heard anybody cite Photek or Source Direct as an influence now that I think about it, so I couldn't say. I just always thought Photek was the more influential of the two because he did a bit more in the way of experimenting. SD were always solid as fuck but definitely stuck to their comfort zone much more.
>>65508297
that's not what he meant ya dingus
>>65508312
if it's anything like the two tracks from soundcloud, not really desu
>>
>>65508322
>SD were always solid as fuck but definitely stuck to their comfort zone much more
Definitely. I actually prefer Photek -- Form and Function was one of my favorite albums in high school.
>>
I never listened to Autechre before: should I start by his latest release (it's +4 hours long tho…) ??
>>
>Aphex Twin
>Squarepusher
>BOC
>Autechre
>>
>>65508717
absolutely not
just go chronologically from Incunabula
>>65508726
meme
>>
File: tumblr_o6c6465Urk1qdppp0o1_1280.jpg (609 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o6c6465Urk1qdppp0o1_1280.jpg
609 KB, 1280x1707
Been listening to Aphex since i was 15, i'm 27 now

Feels old man....

Autechre have went off the rails with their electronics, nothing after LP5 has been of any real interest to me.

Squarepusher disappeared up his own arse and was shit live recently, glitchy spastic crap. His old tunes are some of the best in IDM

BoC are reclusive wankers, love their oldtapes material and early stuff though.

Aphex has been constant throughout his career, even if his output is varied it always retains his "sound"

He's great i'd marry him
>>
File: the fuk u say m8.png (207 KB, 500x403) Image search: [Google]
the fuk u say m8.png
207 KB, 500x403
>>65506911
>random
>>
>>65506302
lol
but it's true, all his tracks are just murky noises you can't tell apart
>>
so where do you guys go to find new, interesting electronic music?
I guess I'm talking more in the vein of """experimental""" stuff made for listening rather than dancing, though I guess some techno would be fine too.
I just want to find more interesting stuff outside of the "big 4" and "IDM," and I've already tried the new big 4 of Lopatin, Ferraro, Arca, and Blunt. where do I go now?
>>
>>65509628
the flashbulb has been levelling up over the last few years, more his own sound now over his earlier stuff which was very aphex / squarepusher sounding
>>
>>65509283
but...no...
>>
>>65509678
is it separate from the typical "IDM" sound though? I need to check out more of his stuff regardless, but I guess what I'm saying is that I'm getting sick of the entire sound of 90s-Warp-inspired artists and want to find something completely different desu
>>
>>65509628
probably best just to go through labels. for a start maybe try the ones this anon mentioned >>65504975
>>
>>65509837
missed that somehow, thanks anon
>>
>>65509628
desu watmm's new/upcoming releases forum is a pretty good noticeboard for cool stuff 2listen2
>>
>>65509678
I'm making some music that fits that description. My music is inspired by autechre, but it doesn't really sound like the typical idm stiff at all. :) I look forward to posting it on SoundCloud once I feel ready. I truly believe it's great music, and I hope you all do as well. But honestly, just take the time to learn autechre, they're the greatest out of all of them by far. They'reythe most experimental
>>
>>65503657
>big 4
maybe for idm. electronic big four would be more like Eno, Kraftwerk, Moroder, and Frankie Knuckles or something
>>
>>65509933
don't usually use that place but I'll try it
I just decided to see what rym has for techno and it's laughably bad/nonspecific, so really anywhere else would probably be good
>>
>>65509977
rym for dance/electronic is a joke. if you're gonna use it just go through some of the user's lists. you can do a similar thing with discogs.
>>
BOC > aphextwin > autechre>>>>>>square
>>
>>65510031
I was already aware, but I didn't realize I'd be seeing MHtRtC as the #2 techno album of all time of the Streets of Rage 2 soundtrack in the top 50 (not that it's not great, it's just not really techno)
>>
reminder that none of those artists are idm
>>
autechre = up their own ass for a while now
aphex = always good, yet hasn't released much new stuff in forever
squarepusher = not my thing at all
boc = still great but a little safe. need to release stuff at a quicker rate
>>
Are any even relevant anymore? All of them are old af and past their prime. Who cares?
>>
>>65503657

Squarepusher shouldn't even be there
>>
>>65510382
But he's the best one

He can actually play an instrument
>>
>>65510382
this honestly
recognition-wise he's probably up there with them but talent-wise no
in fact from a recognition standpoint maybe even vsnares beats him
>>65510400
XD
>>
>>65510400
BoC can as well. Many of their samples/drums are from live instrumentation. Who cares tho
>>
The important question here is who are the biggest qts?
>>
File: afx 29.jpg (645 KB, 2560x1624) Image search: [Google]
afx 29.jpg
645 KB, 2560x1624
>>65510477
>>
>>65504014
best taste
>>
let this shit thread die
Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.