[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /mu/'s opinion on pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Folder.jpg (85 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
85 KB, 500x500
What is /mu/'s opinion on pic related
>>
I prefer trains
>>
looks like a cool car
>>
Terrible
>>
>>65414589
great album, also got me into saabs.
>>
>>65414589
I thought it was pretty mediocre. Spiderland is amazing, though.
>>
>>65414687
meme answer

It's a pretty great album. I may be in the minority here, but I love the chorus-saturated guitar tone they use. It teminds me a lot of PiL and sounds pretty good with harmonics. Nice songwritting, although it isn't as remarkable as Spiderland.

A good debut. Untitled and Spiderland are clearly superioir, of course.
>>
Literally goat. If Spiderland wasn't made this would've been praised to hell and back. However it was completely BTFO by Spiderland quality wise despite how good it is.
>>
>>65415174
This. I feel like it has a huge Pablo Honey syndrome going on for it.
>>
Sounds like a bunch of 15 year olds wrote it
>>
>>65414687
>meme answer
Wow, great point. It tries to be energetic but just comes off as boring and unimaginative. If they hadn't released Spiderland no one would remember this album.
>>
>>65414589
Would be much better without Albini's overproduction, which he has admitted.
>>
PAST WHERE THEY PAINTHEOUSES
>>
YO STEVE
>>
File: 1463708981903.jpg (92 KB, 601x508) Image search: [Google]
1463708981903.jpg
92 KB, 601x508
>tfw your headphones are broken
>>
>>65414589
Slint began their career with the lamest 14-year-old kid's "metal" guitar tone in everness. They appear to be going for a Big Black vibe on several tracks (undoubtlessly assisted by their producer Steve Albini), completely ripping off that band's slicing super-trebly tone and distorted bass in tracks like "Warren," and absolutely HUMILIATING themselves with the most blatantly Albini-esque rant-screams I've ever heard ("PAST WHERE THEY PAINT THE HOUSES!"). Far too many of the songs feature the bass blopping around playing some boring half-riff while the guitarist plays ugly, obvious harmonics through his hideously cheap distortion pedal. Then they add in destructive household noises like utensils and tools being thrown around, and a band member talks about something or other on top of or slightly behind the instrumentation. The songs (all named after people - "Rhoda," "Pat," "Darlene," etc) all seem half-written, with only the relaxing, melodic "Nan Ding" capturing a man's fancy all the way through. The rest of the record undulates haphazardly between obvious, stupid arpeggiated "pretty songs" and terrible, dissonant and not very challenging "math-metal," pinning early Slint as a band of kids who really hadn't figured out what kind of music they wanted to make yet.
>>
>>65416604

The best thing I can say about these bits of forgettable music is that I can sympathize with the thought processes that brought them into the world. This is because most of them remind me of the worst pieces of music that I wrote when I was in college! I used to have homemade tapes out the ass of basic arpeggiations that I misstook for creative beauty and unpleasant metal riffs filled with migraine-friendly guitar harmonics -- these are the kinds of songs that a young person composes when he is trying to improve his speed and dexterity on the electric guitar. They all sound like they were fun to play, but for the most part they're a real kick in the teeth to sit through. Odds are that the band members aren't hella proud of this record either! I don't know them though, so I'll shut my yappin' and keep on flappin'. "OOK! OOK! OOK!" (*eyes bugs hungrily, flaps asshole up and down like an arm*)

Do you know what a harmonic is? I should probably define that instead of assuming that you do. There's a lot of scientific crap involved, but basically there are certain places on the neck of the guitar where, if a guitarist only lightly touches the string right above the fret line (not pushing it down BEHIND the fret line, as you do when you play a normal note), then plucks the string with his other hand IMMEDIATELY before pulling aforementioned finger off of the string, it makes a really high, soft and somehow mesmerizing tone. The first notes of Yes's "Roundabout" are harmonics, as are the four final guitar notes of "Long Distance Runaround" right before it turns into "The Fish." You'll also hear a bunch of them right at the beginning of "The Gates of Delirium." Lots of talented musicians will use a harmonic every once in a while. Unfortunately, when you play them through a shitty $4.00 distortion pedal, it feels like somebody is digging into your eardrum with a heated nail.
>>
>>65416604
calm down before you hurt yourself kid
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.