[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would people have reacted to SMiLE if it was released in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: smile.png (600 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
smile.png
600 KB, 600x600
How would people have reacted to SMiLE if it was released in 1967? I keep thinking that it would've gotten mixed reviews, and universal praise would come in retrospect.
>>
>>65359275
who cares i much prefer smiley smile
>>
>>65359275
Well... how did people react to Smiley Smile?

Exactly.
>>
>>65359325
>>65359332
bad meme

I do agree with you OP, but I also don't think the public would have heard what we've heard. Smile was never actually finished and Brian doesn't recall what the final product was supposed to be.
>>
>>65359332
>>65359325
can't even hold a candle to it.

Capitol was throwing serious cash at Brian after Good Vibrations and they wouldn't have pulled out of an investment that late, they would have put this album EVERYWHERE

On top of that, By the end of 66, The Beach Boys were the biggest brand in music, they were doing world tours, and even eclipsed the beatles for most popular band of the year

Everything about it would blow everyone else out of the water, even if no one artistically udnerstood it.
Pet Sounds was already the marquee for artistic statements in Pop. Leonard Bernstein was doing reports on Brian.
People were ready for SMiLE, he couldn't give it to em

sad sad story
>>
>>65359404
>I don't agree with it so it's a meme
Nice meme.
>>
>>65359465
>People were ready for SMiLE
Or rather, Derek Taylor perpetuated this myth because he was paid to do so, and the public actually didn't care at all.
>>
>>65359465
I would love to have seen that. (not even close to alive then, me, but for Brian)
>>
>>65359826
>The public didnt actually care at all
[Citation needed]
>>
>You're my favorite vegetable

Um, yeah... genius.
>>
>>65360531
bait
>>
>>65360529
>[Citation needed]
See: Heroes and Villains
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.